AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still think that we can save our Earth?
Yes 8 53.33%
No 6 40.00%
I don't care 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-06-06, 18:09   Link #1
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

[Documentary Movie] Home

Introduction :

Home is a documentary film made by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. The film is entirely composed of aerial shots of various places around Earth. It tooks three years to Yann to make this movie. Home was released in 5 June 2009 in 50 different countries (it's a record ) and the movie is 100% free.

The subject :

Home is a movie which explains us the impact of human on our Earth. How we over-consume and are depleting the Earth's ressource. But the main message is "It's too late to be pessimistic !" It's time to act, it's time to change, it's time to save our Earth !

The movie :

Here, the movie in Youtube :

If the first link doesn't works :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

Why this thread ?

More than a movie, Home is a message for every human on this Earth. You're Earth is precious and we need to take care of it. Every human, every member of AS can do something to help our Earth. Even a little something is better than a big nothing. Sort the wastes, use more Public Tranport, eat less meat are these kind of little thing that every member of AS can do.

Link :

Some good links about the Film :

- The official web site
- HomeProject
- The wiki page

Another Link :

- Goodplanet a Fundation created by Yann Arthus-Bertarnd
- The album

It's to late too be pessimistic but it's never too late to act !

Last edited by Kusa-San; 2009-06-09 at 03:23.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 18:30   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

Three points of interest:

1) Nice film!!!

2) I thought this was a topic on the PS3's HOME but it seems to be something else of the same name.

3) How did you manage to upload 1.5 hours of video onto Youtube? I thought they limit it to 10 minutes max.. Is that a new improvement feature of the site?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 21:33   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

well the movie was released worldwide at around the same time and since this involves our planet and given that the movie was made to be completely free i'm sure they cut a deal with youtube to have the entire thing uploaded just so it gets out and people see it.

I have yet to see it, but it's definately something i'm interested in seeing.
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 02:57   Link #4
Kusa-San

Yep, as Supershop said, it's Yann and his team who put the film on Youtube

If you have liked the film, I really recommend you the book. It's more detailed and there is some beautifuls photography ^^

Here some info from the book :

Some advantage of the safe haven around the world :

- We save 300.000$ by seacost kilometer thanks to the protection from the mandragora.
- 9Billion$ every years against thunderstorm thanks to the coral reef.
- The income raised over 35% in Fidji thanks to the multiplication by three of fish in a safe haven.
- 1200 new jobs created in Zambie thanks to the national park of Souh Luangwa.
- 875.000 residences which take part in rice growing and depend to the source water from safe haven in Madagascar.
- 10 times more fish capture in Philippines.
- Pratically twice over fish capture for local community.
Old 2009-06-07, 03:34   Link #5
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Hmm...Youtube stream seems to be missing about 30min worth from the theatrical release.

Anyone know if those 30min worth of footage will be on the Video Release, namely Blu-Ray's ? If that is so, I'll see about getting the BD if it's out at where I am.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 04:00   Link #6
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Hmm...Youtube stream seems to be missing about 30min worth from the theatrical release.
What do you mean by that ? There is a problem with the youtube stream ? You can't watch all the video ? About the Blu-Ray : http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2839
Old 2009-06-07, 04:05   Link #7
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
What do you mean by that ? There is a problem with the youtube stream ? You can't watch all the video ? About the Blu-Ray : http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2839
Err, no.

From it's Wiki Page.

And it's Blu Ray page does not give details about the feature's total running time at all.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 04:17   Link #8
Kusa-San

I don't find anything about the Blu-Ray version but for what it says on the covers it's the same version as the tv one. So it's the same as the free one.
Old 2009-06-08, 18:36   Link #9
Kusa-San

I'm suprised to the lack of interrest for this topic. It's really important. We need to act and everyone need to do something for our Earth. So I will not let this thread die. Everyone need to see this film and to buy the book. I think, I will open a poll (But I don't know how )
Old 2009-06-08, 19:46   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I'm suprised to the lack of interrest for this topic.
A new thread title, perhaps? maybe adding "documentary movie" or something along those lines could add a bit to people's curiosity.
Old 2009-06-08, 19:58   Link #11
bleach4000

Good job

Nice

Hey guys can you please visit this link it's a video for a contest I'm participating in.

Thanks!
bleach4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 23:44   Link #12
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Ah, Home, a very impressive video if I do say so myself. It's not often anymore you can watch something that has a quality message in it. It really makes me appreciative of the little things that we often take for granted. Living in a country that's well off can really make you ignorant of the hardships that people face every day in other places around the globe.

Admittedly, it is difficult transitioning to a greener lifestyle when the effects aren't instantly noticeable. I guess that's the main problem facing most of the people out there - it isn't really affecting us drastically yet so we can still wait to change for a little while longer. But thinking like that is the same as thinking that it's alright to try and fix a failing grade by waiting until the night before to cram for the semester final. By that time you realize you have way too much stuff that needs to be done and you end up bombing the course horribly. On the other hand, if you would have studied little by little, you would have come out just fine. Hopefully people who saw Home will be more conscious of their global footprint and see just how the smallest changes can truly make a difference on a massive scale.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 01:00   Link #13
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'd like to see this film (or parts of it), but it is "not available in [my] country or domain."
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 03:11   Link #14
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
A new thread title, perhaps? maybe adding "documentary movie" or something along those lines could add a bit to people's curiosity.
I think, I will do that yes

@LeoXiao : I added a second link for this case

@Yamada : Well If you have liked this movie, I really recommend you the book. It's really interesting and there is many beautifuls pictures in it.

And I totally agree with you : The main problem with human is that they can't realize something which is too far away from them. But little by little it start to change (with Home for example). And it's us, people who saw this movie to talk about this around us. We need to act and the first act is to senzitise people around us. it's really important. Talk to as much person as you can about this. Talk to them and tell them to buy bio food, to use public transport, eat less meat sort the wastes etc...It's really important to do that.
Old 2009-06-09, 03:34   Link #15
LeoXiao
思想工作

this film has some good imagery. I'm also glad it doesn't at all take the environmentalism to an extreme, and I agree with all the points it made. Overall a nicely made, visually pleasing movie with information interspersed appropriately.

This is from the 20 minutes I took to watch, from different parts of the film. I'll watch more over time.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:40   Link #16
denice25

great share.....
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 08:11   Link #17
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Watched this at last.... and what i got from it is:

I'm not gonna be the last generation on Earth.

I don't want to looks back and remember today as Golden Age of humanity. Even my efforts gonna be futile in the end, my mind was set...
Old 2009-06-09, 13:26   Link #18
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I'm not gonna be the last generation on Earth.
I think a lot of younger people don't realize this though. At least I didn't until a couple years ago. Back when I was younger I used to say the stupidest things (I still do to a certain extent ) and just think that I'd live in the moment and let future generations take care of whatever problems might arise. After all, I had the right to enjoy life to the fullest right? It's not until I really started maturing as an individual that I began to realize that we have an obligation to future generations and really are accountable for whatever actions we take in the present. I don't want my grandchildren looking back and remembering today as the golden age either. With any luck they'll be experiencing a life much more grand than we are.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 18:07   Link #19
JMvS
Rawrrr!

The movie is very pleasant, both pictures and narration.

Nothing new for a student in Earth Sciences, but I really appreciated the metaphor they used for oil: I hope that it will help people understand that we are living and thriving on borrowed time.
Old 2009-06-10, 06:14   Link #20
Kusa-San

Glad to see some people who cares about your Earth Don't forget to talk about this around you, it's really important

@JMvS : You're a student in Earth Science ? So what do you think of people who think that this global warming is normal and that trying to limit our impact on it will change nothing ?

About the movie, it's a shame that they don't talk about the pollution from High Tech Equipement (but not in the Book ). People tend to forget that when it's also an important part of pollution. The IEA said that if nothing is done then the fight against global warming will be useless !

Tags
earth, environnement