AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-10, 09:28   Link #1
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Otaku No Musume-san (My Dad Is An Otaku)

How this manga escape my radar is beyond me. I was looking for some manga that pokes fun of Otaku to fill the void of NHK Ni Yokosou ! when I stumble upon this title.

A little background of it here. This title started out as a Web Manga which ran for 11 chapters for about a year when it goot noticed by Dragon Age and was asked to be serialise in it. Not bad for a start since it didn't ask to be some mainstream stuff by it's mangaka.

Story is about a 26-year-old Morisaki Kouta who has just enter his 10th year of being an Otaku when 9-year old Yukimura Kanau knocks on his door, acknowleding Kouta as her Father.

Turns out that Kanau was born from a "rape" on Kouta by Kanau's mother, Nozomi 10 year prior which she laters up and disappears later, causing Kouta to become an Otaku.

Kanau turns to Kouta after being asked by Nozomi to escape debtors searching for them. Needless to say, precocious little Kanau isn't too keen on the idea that her Dad is an Otaku nor the fact that her Dad's fellow residence are as all which includes a Lolicon,a Neet, and a Teenage Female Doujinshi artist. The only normal people she can turn to is the female caretaker and the fact that her Dad is more concern about his Super Doffie rather than her.......

What makes this manga fun is how it borrows ACG elements from real life, from the start, there a mention of the classic Doukyusei 2 from the start, one character speaks 2ch, we see the spines of Deathnote and Negima in one column.

The suitation also discuss on what pirorities should an Otaku focus on his life. His hobbies or those around him. Kouta scrims on Kanau's clothes and pocket money so that he can buy a new Super Doffie, it is justifiable ? Food for thought. Highly recommended for those looking for something to fill NHK Ni Yokosou ! I can't wait for this to be adopted into a Drama, like what the mangaka is rooting for. It'll be a riot.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2009-01-28 at 08:00.
Old 2007-08-10, 14:09   Link #2
richvh

Is the original web-manga still available online?
Old 2007-08-10, 16:34   Link #3
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvh View Post
Is the original web-manga still available online?
http://www2.tokai.or.jp/studio-HiRo/
Old 2007-08-13, 09:59   Link #4
41nano

I'm looking for somethinf to fill the void of NHK, so i'll see what's this ^^
Old 2007-08-13, 12:38   Link #5
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Yo! Rapist!
Most touching words to greet a long lost friend, eh?

I'll be keeping an eye on this series. I just hope that he wouldn't be doing anything as depraved as the stuff in Welcome to the NHK.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-08-13, 14:12   Link #6
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Hate to be picky, but "Super Doffie" is really a Super Dollfie, unless it's some sort of parody in which they changed the name slightly. XD

It sounds really interesting, but I think I'm going to hold off on reading it until I get some spoilers for what happens later on. There are so many ways a story starting off like this could turn out badly for me, so I'd like to check out what happens before diving into it.
Old 2008-10-03, 11:54   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

There was word about a Drama CD coming out. Has anyone listened to it yet?
Old 2009-01-17, 21:11   Link #8
mandarb916

Surprised this hasn't caught on much...it's really a gem of a comedy series...
Old 2009-01-17, 21:14   Link #9
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
Surprised this hasn't caught on much...it's really a gem of a comedy series...
Perhaps it strike too close to home ? Or just maybe there's a lack of publicity.
Old 2009-01-17, 21:24   Link #10
mandarb916

haha...the first part I wouldn't be surprised...there were some scenes I honestly thought hard wondering if I would do the same thing as Kouta or not.

In terms of publicity...atleast around Tokyo, a few weeks ago, it was listed at quite a few bookstores as being in the top 5 for manga sales for the month of January...the Tsutaya near my folks home in Izu (ie. countryside) also had it as one of their 3 manga recommendations for the month. Obviously that doesn't translate into western popularity but it's doing reasonably it seems.

I'm guessing it's not even on the scanning radar?
Old 2009-01-17, 21:29   Link #11
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

I bought and read this series and I do agree it's a gem.

Btw MakubeX2, you might want to edit your opening post, the image has changed into something unrelated.

Quote:
It is.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/releases...7&stype=series
Old 2009-01-17, 21:36   Link #12
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:

There's people scanning the series, just do a search. Kadokawa Taiwan had released a chinese translation for Taiwan and it isn't too popular either.

Now if there's one thing that we learn about garnering attention for a good manga series, it's that a anime or dorama adaption to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Btw MakubeX2, you might want to edit your opening post, the image has changed into something unrelated.
Damn topic about 1.5 year old man. But I'll see about doing that.
Old 2009-01-17, 22:11   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Ah yes, Taiwan Kadokawa's version has already been mentioned. If TK brings it in, it can't be too obscure.

Anyway, the cast for the drama CD is interesting. Hidamari Sketch's Yuno is doing both the daughter and the mother (no doubt, it's the flashback scenes).
Old 2009-01-17, 23:05   Link #14
ZODDGUTS

Really enjoy this series been following it for awhile. I wonder if the guy will end up with he's old flame. In the latest translated chapters seems like he's still somewhat interested in her. Though I wouldn't mind if something between him and manager happens. Feel bad for her how they think she's a married woman who loves to cosplay as a High School girl.

Anyways she could end up being a good mother to Kanau if she does end up with her father. But I see some troubles if Kanau's father ends up with her or someone else that isn't her mother, she's still in belief that both her mom and dad could end up together.
Old 2009-01-28, 03:37   Link #15
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Just read through the translated chapters. This is a really nice story. It's amusing, but what I find the best about this is the idea about Kanau having to deal with having an otaku for a father and Kouta having to compromise on his hobbies for her, and the conflicts from those. It's touching to read.

Ch. 16 was gripping. Can't wait to see more.

I think there's a problem with the pictures for the opening post.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2009-01-28 at 04:02.
Old 2009-01-28, 14:20   Link #16
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
For some reason, I think
Spoiler for speculation:
Old 2009-01-29, 22:46   Link #17
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
^Why's that?

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Old 2009-01-30, 02:32   Link #18
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem View Post
^Why's that?
I don't know, I guess the fact that Nicchi was seemed overly concerned when Kanau passed out, the fact that Nicchi recognized her during their first meeting, the fact that Nicchi knew Nozumi alot longer than Kouta, and the fact that when Kanau had that flashback of her mom and she asked about the picture with Nozumi/Kouta in it, Nozumi asked "why do you think that's your father?", or something along those lines. It may not be true, but that was the first impression I got from the latter 3 chapters.
Old 2009-01-30, 02:42   Link #19
FateAnomaly

I think Kouta is probably not the father but it isn't Nicchi either. Nicchi is a lolicon so he is probably not interested in Nozumi.
Old 2009-01-30, 03:40   Link #20
ZODDGUTS

Doubt it, he's a lolicon but he seems the type that gets serious when needed be so he's not entirely a joke character like he was in the latest chapter. Not saying that Kouta is the father because it could be some other guy.
Closed Thread