AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-16, 23:54   Link #801
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
I heard Dante Basco talking, and I was like OMG it's Zuko!

But I realized it's more likely that it's Zuko's son or grandson (nephew?), since Zuko himself retired as Fire Lord and is 86-7 by now.
It was already announced before that Dante Basco would voice a character in LoK. My hunch was right that the character would be related to his former role. Also Zuko's daughter is the current Fire Lord and General Iroh II is likely his grandson rather than his grand nephew. I don't think Zuko would want a descendant of his psycho sister Azula to be the at the helm of largest military force in the world.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 23:58   Link #802
OPN

As usual great episode. It was great to see zukos grandson(?) and i cant wait to see how he fights and helps korra and her friends with their battle against amon and his goons.
OPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 23:59   Link #803
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Keep in mind there is another season of 14 episodes.

Even though non-benders might have legitimate complaints what Amon & the equalists are doing is definitely wrong. I don't see anything gray about it.

I suppose you can make an argument about taking criminals bending away who abuse that power (after all that is what Aang did) but just taking away people's bending because bending is bad according to Amon? What gives him the right to decide that?
Black and White is when Good and evil are at their most extremes. When someone is "black" that means that EVERYTHING they say and do is wrong; they have no good reasons or anything like that; they are evil for the sake of being evil. Yakone would be example of such since all he wanted was power and money... Gray on the otherhand is when they are not purely black or white. The fact that Amon's war is based on legitimate concerns is what makes him more grey... we have enough to say that he is a darker shade of grey, but that's still a shade of grey. That's what shades of grey means; as far as morality goes, some are lighter shades, some are darker, some more in the middle

And now, for something completely different
Spoiler:
Old 2012-06-17, 00:15   Link #804
james0246

Despite the uneven pacing of Korra, the series really manages to pack a significant dramatic punch, more so than the initial series (I admit, this is in part due to the time constraints the writers are under; whereas Aang's story could take time with various divergences, Korra's story is almost entirely plot-centric, with little space for the dalliances* of the original (e.g. the great "The Tales of Ba Sing Se" and other such episodes)). From the very relevant fear that Korra has for Amon (that has plagued her for more than half the series), to the constant desperation of the benders, this series has really ramped up the drama and adult themes (or at least elevated the routine themes to an adult level). The series has definitely struggled with its somewhat/completely pointless romantic storyline (how long until Iroh 2 becomes the focus for shipping with Korra (I bet the old Zutara fans will jump at this potential ship)), but it has always impressed when it comes to strong dramatic (and even scary) scenes (and the comedy).

Wild prediction (don't know if it has been mentioned before): Amon is Ozai's son/grandson, only born after Ozai's bending was taken by Aang. Consequently, the non-bending in Ozai passed to his future descendents creating a mutated type of bending, that does not utilize elements, but rather negates others bending.

(Personally, I've grown to greatly dislike Energy Bending and the ability to 'sterilize' (or to use a WoT analogy, still or burn out) its victims. It seems so unnatural and so against "balance" (What is the actual opposite of this sterilization process? Can the Avatar give bending to others?). So, I sincerely hope that either this storyline or a future storyline will focus on Energy Bending as being a "negative" rather than the current end solution for all bad benders.)

*This word might be too harsh. These side stories were not trifles but fun divergences from the main story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 00:50   Link #805
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Despite the uneven pacing of Korra, the series really manages to pack a significant dramatic punch, more so than the initial series (I admit, this is in part due to the time constraints the writers are under; whereas Aang's story could take time with various divergences, Korra's story is almost entirely plot-centric, with little space for the dalliances* of the original (e.g. the great "The Tales of Ba Sing Se" and other such episodes)). From the very relevant fear that Korra has for Amon (that has plagued her for more than half the series), to the constant desperation of the benders, this series has really ramped up the drama and adult themes (or at least elevated the routine themes to an adult level). The series has definitely struggled with its somewhat/completely pointless romantic storyline (how long until Iroh 2 becomes the focus for shipping with Korra (I bet the old Zutara fans will jump at this potential ship)), but it has always impressed when it comes to strong dramatic (and even scary) scenes (and the comedy).

Wild prediction (don't know if it has been mentioned before): Amon is Ozai's son/grandson, only born after Ozai's bending was taken by Aang. Consequently, the non-bending in Ozai passed to his future descendents creating a mutated type of bending, that does not utilize elements, but rather negates others bending.

(Personally, I've grown to greatly dislike Energy Bending and the ability to 'sterilize' (or to use a WoT analogy, still or burn out) its victims. It seems so unnatural and so against "balance" (What is the actual opposite of this sterilization process? Can the Avatar give bending to others?). So, I sincerely hope that either this storyline or a future storyline will focus on Energy Bending as being a "negative" rather than the current end solution for all bad benders.)

*This word might be too harsh. These side stories were not trifles but fun divergences from the main story.
To be fair, Aang seemed to use it as a last resort for the baddest of the bad. Ozai wasn't going to lead a country of proud Firebenders if he himself was emasculated and Tarlocke's Dad was just too damn powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if those two cases were the only two times Aang used spirit bending, using it as a cautionary tale for all other benders.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 01:01   Link #806
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
To be fair, Aang seemed to use it as a last resort for the baddest of the bad. Ozai wasn't going to lead a country of proud Firebenders if he himself was emasculated and Tarlocke's Dad was just too damn powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if those two cases were the only two times Aang used spirit bending, using it as a cautionary tale for all other benders.
Oh I agree that Aang undoubtedly was very sparse with his use of stilling. But, the technique still seems very...perverse to me. I understand why the writers created the technique for Aang (and I applauded the build-up and execution of that particular storyline), but the technique simply seems unnatural within the context of the Avatarverse. In a world in which everything is connected in one giant tapestry of balance (where presumably everything has some sort of reverse, opposite or counter), the forcible removal of one strand should be a problem. I simply do not understand where Spirit Bending fits into the universe...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 02:03   Link #807
monster

Quote:
Oh I agree that Aang undoubtedly was very sparse with his use of stilling. But, the technique still seems very...perverse to me. I understand why the writers created the technique for Aang (and I applauded the build-up and execution of that particular storyline), but the technique simply seems unnatural within the context of the Avatarverse. In a world in which everything is connected in one giant tapestry of balance (where presumably everything has some sort of reverse, opposite or counter), the forcible removal of one strand should be a problem. I simply do not understand where Spirit Bending fits into the universe...
You could probably think of the balance as being preserved by having one nonbender being "born" at the "death" of a bender.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 03:05   Link #808
Destined_Fate

Iroh 2 seems way too old to be interested in Korra in that way. I wouldn't be surprised it he's already married to someone similiar to Mai.

Asami is getting pretty angry, though I don't think she'll betray Korra. She has rightly shown that she's angry at Mako and not Korra over this. It is Mako that's causing the problems here with his inability to drop Korra and commit fully to Asami. Doesn't help that Mako didn't get his feelings worked out for Korra until after he was already in a relationship with Asami. It's almost like he's staying with Asami out of shame/pity because he was already dateing her when Korra kissed him.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 08:22   Link #809
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
It was already announced before that Dante Basco would voice a character in LoK. My hunch was right that the character would be related to his former role. Also Zuko's daughter is the current Fire Lord and General Iroh II is likely his grandson rather than his grand nephew. I don't think Zuko would want a descendant of his psycho sister Azula to be the at the helm of largest military force in the world.
Was this info in like, extra background stuff, or was I just extraordinarily not good at paying attention during episodes?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 09:14   Link #810
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Iroh 2 seems way too old to be interested in Korra in that way. I wouldn't be surprised it he's already married to someone similiar to Mai.
Well we don't know that yet. You know what happened with Tenzin and Pema.

But personally I doubt such a pairing would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Asami is getting pretty angry, though I don't think she'll betray Korra. She has rightly shown that she's angry at Mako and not Korra over this. It is Mako that's causing the problems here with his inability to drop Korra and commit fully to Asami. Doesn't help that Mako didn't get his feelings worked out for Korra until after he was already in a relationship with Asami. It's almost like he's staying with Asami out of shame/pity because he was already dateing her when Korra kissed him.
IMO I think Asami has Mako all wrong and is getting jealous over nothing. I honestly don't think Mako has any feelings for Korra beyond platonic and just sees her as a close friend who he really cares about. I don't think Bolin knows the full extent on what happened between Korra and Mako but he's wasn't exactly the best person to inform Asami of that incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Was this info in like, extra background stuff, or was I just extraordinarily not good at paying attention during episodes?
That would be the former. I can't recall at the moment where that info was taken from but AFAIK its official.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 09:19   Link #811
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
In real life cultures, there are almost always five classical elements: earth, air, water, fire, and void/aether/spirit. I don't know much about what that last element is suppose to be about, but what I do know is that it's suppose to be the greatest of all the elements. I can sort of understand why the creators put that in the show, but what it's suppose to be used for is still rather vague. Going by the "bending the energy within ourselves", I like to think this is the basis for psychic powers, but that's just me.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 09:21   Link #812
kitten320

So we finally meet Zuko's relative, weird to hear Zuko's voice coming from him though.

Since when Mako can re-direct the lighting? He has learned all the coolest techniques out there and yet he still sucks as bender. Just WTF was that small fire with which he tried to hit the robot?

Good to see proper air bending from Tenzin, at least someone except Korra and Lin are cool here. Actually Asami a none bender is far more impressing than two brothers who have been doing sports =/
They should take some lessons from those 4... well now 3.

So sad to see Lin lose her bending but since that happened I'm sure everyone will get their bending back at the end what is sad since it will kill everything till now. Bad benders might reflect on their actions but not for long.

At least Lin went down heroically. Really loved how Tenzin's kids came to help shouting "Don't touch my father's ex-girlfriend", looks like they know their father's past

Also good to see that Penma trusts her husband and doesn't get jealous after how much time Tenzin spends with Lin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
IMO I think Asami has Mako all wrong and is getting jealous over nothing. I honestly don't think Mako has any feelings for Korra beyond platonic and just sees her as a close friend who he really cares about. I don't think Bolin knows the full extent on what happened between Korra and Mako but he's wasn't exactly the best person to inform Asami of that incident.
I can't really blame Asami. She found out about kiss and knows that Korra likes Mako. Also considering how close Mako is to Korra right now, can easily raise suspicion.
Truthfully she is handling it quiet good so far. All they need is a proper talk which Mako delays. If their relationship will end, it will be Mako's fault for not paying attention.
I like Masami more so hope they'll stay.
Old 2012-06-17, 09:48   Link #813
orangejuicetang

Random thought:
If Zuko and Toph somehow happen to be still alive, and there's a second season, I'd be delighted to see an episode where they and Katara make a pro-bending team and compete against Korra and co. Or maybe just an exhibition match after the Fire Ferrets win the championship. This is assuming those two are still alive of course

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 09:59   Link #814
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Random thought:
If Zuko and Toph somehow happen to be still alive, and there's a second season, I'd be delighted to see an episode where they and Katara make a pro-bending team and compete against Korra and co. Or maybe just an exhibition match after the Fire Ferrets win the championship. This is assuming those two are still alive of course
Oh, come on. Don't put the heroes of the past season into the horror that's called pro-bending.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 10:17   Link #815
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
The info about Zuko's daughter being the firelady and that he's still alive came from the Republic City minigame and the stuff about Dante was from an interview he gave right around when the show was starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Since when Mako can re-direct the lighting? He has learned all the coolest techniques out there and yet he still sucks as bender. Just WTF was that small fire with which he tried to hit the robot?
He did it back in episode 3 or so when he was working in the power plant, I'm guessing this was the first time he's been electrocuted and still had his arms free to pull of the trick against the equalists.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 10:46   Link #816
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM

Dunno if this has been brought up yet or not, but my two cents about theories

Spoiler for About Amon:

but then again all this could just be me crazy talking
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 10:56   Link #817
Who

Quote:
Random thought:
Zuko's alive. Toph, probably not.

The 'pro-bending' in TLA was preferable. But only because it involved underground betting, Toph and of course, The Boulder.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 11:07   Link #818
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Random thought:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Oh, come on. Don't put the heroes of the past season into the horror that's called pro-bending.
I agree. The benders of today shouldn't be allowed in the same episode as probenders. These guys are just too weak.

Is Sozin's Comet coming back during this series? I crave for more awesome firebending fights.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:17   Link #819
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I agree. The benders of today shouldn't be allowed in the same episode as probenders. These guys are just too weak.

Is Sozin's Comet coming back during this series? I crave for more awesome firebending fights.

Comes once a hundred years. So... unless there's a 30 year timeskip, nope.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 12:22   Link #820
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i really wished they didnt do a timeskip and just kept the original characters.......this is just so dull.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra