AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-04, 21:39   Link #121
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Where is Tailbree when you need to deliver a smiting by SomethingAwful?
Old 2006-07-21, 09:39   Link #122
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
No one on the show calls him Roronoa (A name that sounds sillier than Zolo IMHO^^), they call him "Zoro" (Now pronounced in Japanese it's alright since "r's" don't have the same sound, but in english it's different)...You're gonna have kids saying and purchasing merchendise of a character named "Zoro"...A renegade swordsman who fights for those who have been wrong (Sound familiar? That's the way a lawyer would say it)... They simply did not want to risk being sued...Today, there's even a comic book about Zorro published by "Papercutz"...It's even drawn in manga style...If some a$$hole wanted to make some noise they could cite the similarities of the character and claim that it legally infringes (There are lawsuits filed over less than this all the time)...4kids wasn't about to fight nothing like that (They don't have that kind of integrity)...I mean c'mon I hate 4kids too as you well know, but this is not an issue that concearns me because Japanese names have historically always had different interpretations and spelling differences in English...Some good, some horrid (Like most of all 4kids changes)...When they are really bad I get mad...In this case I'm not at all...
Makes sense, if there wasn't the existence already of more than one company having a character going under the same name. I mean, we in America right now have two competing rival publishers where both have a character that goes under the somewhat same name and general similiarities. You logic pretty much loses out to reality when we have two Captain Marvels instead of just simply one. Even more when you have a character named the Flash and other whose name is actually Flash Thompson. But neither DC nor Marvel obviously has been able to sue the other for such things. It remains that there isn't enough material to link Roronoa Zoro and the character Zorro to the point of copyright infringement when the differences the two are still all that clear in motivation along with many other factors much less that you can't sue for something that still isn't the exact same name.
Quote:
Editing on Television has to be made because there are certain laws by the FCC, and the censors, in which if you rebel against them at a certain time, that means the Network may lose their license to operate or may have to pay a certain fee.
I remember 4kids One Piece being on Fox, not CBS. It remains that Fox in the past has done things that make it clear they aren't exactly fearful of the FCC much less that 4kids shouldn't have to make all the changes they did when it comes to the indecency and obscenity guidelines of the FCC.
Old 2006-07-22, 04:33   Link #123
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Makes sense, if there wasn't the existence already of more than one company having a character going under the same name. I mean, we in America right now have two competing rival publishers where both have a character that goes under the somewhat same name and general similiarities. You logic pretty much loses out to reality when we have two Captain Marvels instead of just simply one. Even more when you have a character named the Flash and other whose name is actually Flash Thompson. But neither DC nor Marvel obviously has been able to sue the other for such things. It remains that there isn't enough material to link Roronoa Zoro and the character Zorro to the point of copyright infringement when the differences the two are still all that clear in motivation along with many other factors much less that you can't sue for something that still isn't the exact same name.

Tell it to the judge (Which is why 4kids changed it since they don't want to be anywhere near a court-room over this...Your logic doesn't matter when the purpose in doing it is to have 500% legality over that 1% chance they would get sued)They don't want their target audience (which they think are prepubescent drones) to have any confusion...Now if you wanna protest over the $hit that makes no sense like "Trace" (Ace) or "Chaser" (Smoker) i'd be the first one to suggest we carpool to that lynching, but if you call me up over "Zolo" I probably wouldn't pick up the phone...I have no probs with that one, and despite loathing 4kids, I actually see the credence for it...If kids ask their moms for a Zoro action-figure for x-mas and she brings back a blacked-masked mexican 4kids loses out...They want no doubt...

Quote:
I remember 4kids One Piece being on Fox, not CBS. It remains that Fox in the past has done things that make it clear they aren't exactly fearful of the FCC much less that 4kids shouldn't have to make all the changes they did when it comes to the indecency and obscenity guidelines of the FCC.
I actually thought this too, but we are both wrong...I read about it on wiki...Fox's kid block (4kids TV) has certain regulations that the actual network doesn't adhere too...Now 4kids takes the $hit waaaaaaay to far, but they really could never show One Piece even close to non-edited on their christian-a$$ timeslot(which is why you have to ask WTF? because then, why would you even buy it?)...You forget Fox is really a super-republican network when it comes to kids, the actual primetime network has a totally different agenda than the kids block...Regardless the $hit is still stupid because when I was a kid GI JOE, He-man, and all the rest were kicking major a$$ and I turned out fine (I think )...
Old 2006-07-22, 19:22   Link #124
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Tell it to the judge (Which is why 4kids changed it since they don't want to be anywhere near a court-room over this...Your logic doesn't matter when the purpose in doing it is to have 500% legality over that 1% chance they would get sued)They don't want their target audience (which they think are prepubescent drones) to have any confusion...Now if you wanna protest over the $hit that makes no sense like "Trace" (Ace) or "Chaser" (Smoker) i'd be the first one to suggest we carpool to that lynching, but if you call me up over "Zolo" I probably wouldn't pick up the phone...I have no probs with that one, and despite loathing 4kids, I actually see the credence for it...If kids ask their moms for a Zoro action-figure for x-mas and she brings back a blacked-masked mexican 4kids loses out...They want no doubt...
Except that the situation of someone wanting a book with Captain Marvel in it and the wrong one being bought as a gift for them also is a scenario. But that clearly still isn't enough to allow DC to sue Marvel for having a character with the same superhero name. At least the two Captain Marvel's from both publishers have a greatly more closer similarity between the two than we have with Roronoa Zoro and Zorro. Especially when there isn't a show to speak of for the later in an animated form that is all that popular. Heck, is 4kids version of One Piece really even that popular, much less have that much advertising, for your scenario to come about? It remains that there's more pushing towards that they can't really be sued rather than they can. Where I still fail to see any real legal precedent that allows 4kids to be sued for a somewhat similar name for a still quite different character.
Quote:
I actually thought this too, but we are both wrong...I read about it on wiki...Fox's kid block (4kids TV) has certain regulations that the actual network doesn't adhere too...Now 4kids takes the $hit waaaaaaay to far, but they really could never show One Piece even close to non-edited on their christian-a$$ timeslot(which is why you have to ask WTF? because then, why would you even buy it?)...You forget Fox is really a super-republican network when it comes to kids, the actual primetime network has a totally different agenda than the kids block...Regardless the $hit is still stupid because when I was a kid GI JOE, He-man, and all the rest were kicking major a$$ and I turned out fine (I think )...
But it remains that Fox still has a past as a network that doesn't exactly bow down to the will of the FCC to the level of other networks. Where it remains that there's a difference between the quite republican siding biased Fox news channel and Fox. I still remember a time when Fox was the only network show with its type of animated series. Especially when it comes to the somewhat mature minded Batman animated series where people at least didn't simply get shot at by rubber bullets all the time or having them simply put in a dungeon. It's sad that only a few years ago we have an animated series on Fox where a kid's two parents are obviously meant to be dead while today instead one parent has to be put in a dungeon. And really, GI JOE in itself was still pretty laughable in how serious it really was when every single person in that show uses what looked like laser guns always set to stun. If we had one of the JOEs snapping Cobra Commanders neck then we could talk...

And really, I wasn't suggesting that One Piece should be completely un-edited but the level of editing it gets still is beyond what is necessary and done in a fashion that shows a lack of professionalism. Unless that navy logo on the marines is suppose to bounce around like that among other thoughtless forms of so-called editing.
Old 2006-07-22, 19:59   Link #125
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

4kids isn't DC or Marvel(nor do they have the same agenda)...They are in the business of "de-Japanesing" anime turning them into american cartoons with sensibilities they believe are true to America (and what they want American kids to accept--Like Zoro isn't Zorro)...I'm not saying what they are doing is brilliant by any stretch just the reasons behind it, which I'm not asking you to accept...I'm just telling you I personally have no problem with the name Zolo even if i have a problem with everything else those bastards do...

Quote:
But it remains that Fox still has a past as a network that doesn't exactly bow down to the will of the FCC to the level of other networks
Neo I just told you 4kids TV is an entire different entity...The Cartoons they show on their kid's block is subject to different rules than FOX-primetime (that has an entirely different demo)...Their shows have to be compliant to Fox's rules for kid's cartoons...which concearns violence and sexually suggestive content...
Old 2006-07-22, 20:32   Link #126
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
4kids isn't DC or Marvel(nor do they have the same agenda)...They are in the business of "de-Japanesing" anime turning them into american cartoons with sensibilities they believe are true to America (and what they want American kids to accept--Like Zoro isn't Zorro)...I'm not saying what they are doing is brilliant by any stretch just the reasons behind it, which I'm not asking you to accept...I'm just telling you I personally have no problem with the name Zolo even if i have a problem with everything else those bastards do...
I get your point. Though DC is actually also guilty of some "de-Japanesing" though what they did with Tenjo Tenge is a different story anyway.
Quote:
Neo I just told you 4kids TV is an entire different entity...The Cartoons they show on their kid's block is subject to different rules than FOX-primetime (that has an entirely different demo)...Their shows have to be compliant to Fox's rules for kid's cartoons...which concearns violence and sexually suggestive content...
Uh, the Batman Animated Series wasn't shown during primetime. I made quite sure not to bring up primetime shows. I still don't find how shotty editing and editing of things that are neither that of violence or sexually suggestive to make any sense. Where 4kids does editing not simply of material that takes away from One Piece's storyline factors but making changes that just really make no sense or done in a fashion that smells of laziness.
Old 2006-07-22, 20:59   Link #127
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Like I said 4kids goes even beyond the rules guidelines with their own BS, but there is a code to be followed...These codes are not the same as they were 10+ years ago when Batman aired...In today's overkill society where lawsuits, christian power-moves, and bad publicity rules the day you know it ain't the same as when we were kids(Then Janet Jackson's boob helped do everybody in)...Face it, 4kids ain't for us..There's nothing they can do to rationalize their horribleness(besides Zolo)... they have a demo they are going after and can give less than a $hit about loyal-fans (who are adults like me and you)...
Old 2006-07-22, 21:05   Link #128
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Wasn't really trying to say the complete opposite in opinion. Just that you can't really blame the FCC for editing of material that still doesn't violate any actual lvl of sexuality or violence. None of this still connects nor explains how you have such amateur editing of things that shouldn't really be edited. Unless you are gonna suggest that these American based factors in society require cutting out english words like Anchor.
Old 2006-07-22, 21:32   Link #129
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I'd have to go back and find the article, but it was a full guidlines for Fox 4-kids TV...Now if you know anything about legal wording there are things you can try and get away with and thing you can't..4kids president said in the article I read that there are certain guidelines concearning violence in the show, such as blood, weapons, and sexually suggestive stuff...Now nobody told them they had to change a gun into a water-pistol, make Nami's breasts dissapear or even buy ONE PIECE in the first place, but they can use that for protection...It's all about what 4kids thinks, not us...Go and wiki 4kids you should be able to find everything I did on fox's guidlines which are actually more strict than I ever thought...

As for the rest I was responding to your assertion that this is fox not CBS therefor they shouldn't have to edit One Piece...That was your debate not mines...just telling you what I read on foxbox (4kidsTV) shows guidlines and rules(which 4kids pres uses as an excuse to cover all their lame-brainess...
Old 2006-07-22, 22:23   Link #130
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
I'd have to go back and find the article, but it was a full guidlines for Fox 4-kids TV...Now if you know anything about legal wording there are things you can try and get away with and thing you can't..4kids president said in the article I read that there are certain guidelines concearning violence in the show, such as blood, weapons, and sexually suggestive stuff...Now nobody told them they had to change a gun into a water-pistol, make Nami's breasts dissapear or even buy ONE PIECE in the first place, but they can use that for protection...It's all about what 4kids thinks, not us...Go and wiki 4kids you should be able to find everything I did on fox's guidlines which are actually more strict than I ever thought...
Again, none of that really explains the point in removing english words. I doubt you can really find any real link between the content stuff you mention and the word anchor in english letters on a little boy's shirt. 4kids still doesn't just simply edit out content that may be too mature for kids but do so at a good number of times that really doesn't make sense and/or done in a fashion that no professional editor should do.
Quote:
As for the rest I was responding to your assertion that this is fox not CBS therefor they shouldn't have to edit One Piece...That was your debate not mines...just telling you what I read on foxbox (4kidsTV) shows guidlines and rules(which 4kids pres uses as an excuse to cover all their lame-brainess...
Wasn't asserating that fox isn't CBS therefore they should have to edit One Piece. Just that you can't blame the FCC for 4kids amateur and lazy editing especially for things that just don't carry any actual sexual and violent link to it.
Old 2006-07-22, 22:41   Link #131
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Dude I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just telling you Fox has guidlines for 4kidsTV in response to you saying given they are a fox network block that that shouldn't be a good enuff excuse...I agree...I'm just saying how they interpret those rules to TRY and cover their a$$ess for butchering OP....I'm neither blaming the FCC for the supreme butchering just letting you know that there is enforcement and that an unedited One Piece would violate some of their rules (but certainley not editing to 4kids extent)...My primary point was always reasonings behind them changing Zoro to Zolo and my non-chalant attitude towards that one aspect (and understanding that there is some credence to it--but in no way does this defend them playing the "rules-game" to excuse their butchering)....
Old 2006-07-22, 22:42   Link #132
akurashy
Cookie monstah!

well im not a big fan of One Piece
but hell someone needs to shut down 4kids already <_<

all the good parts goes to waste because of violence blah blah T_T

they can't be thinking of casting pokemon forever can they o_o
Old 2006-07-23, 00:41   Link #133
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Dude I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just telling you Fox has guidlines for 4kidsTV in response to you saying given they are a fox network block that that shouldn't be a good enuff excuse...I agree...I'm just saying how they interpret those rules to TRY and cover their a$$ess for butchering OP....I'm neither blaming the FCC for the supreme butchering just letting you know that there is enforcement and that an unedited One Piece would violate some of their rules (but certainley not editing to 4kids extent)...My primary point was always reasonings behind them changing Zoro to Zolo and my non-chalant attitude towards that one aspect (and understanding that there is some credence to it--but in no way does this defend them playing the "rules-game" to excuse their butchering)....
I know you aren't actually blaming the FCC. I was actually refering to someone's elses post commenting on the FCC. But anyway, I never was actually suggesting a 100% un-edited version of One Piece. I not so much at issue with them simply changing the single letter in the name but that they really don't any actual logic behind doing so beyond that of fear. So it remains that 4kids has shown itself to be uncaring, lazy, cowardly, and a bit near of the phedophilic(based on Kahn's certain comments on animated characters being sexy when they don't look a day older than that of 10).
Old 2006-07-26, 08:32   Link #134
kljs
Codename : Dreams

Send a message via ICQ to kljs Send a message via MSN to kljs Send a message via Yahoo to kljs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
i dont know what all you people are complaining about. i am assuming most of you are under twenty years old with loli fetishes.

the US voices are FAR BETTER than the japanese ones. i just got around to seeing some of the alabaster arc and my GOSH do they all have whiney little kid voices. Ace's voice sounds like a panzy man. nami's US voice is FAR sexier than the the JP version.

now about the translation issues, yeah the jokes are lame. but who really cares.

the US intro is a bit ghetto, but the song is better than the JP opening, the point is, it sticks in your head. they should have kept the JP opening anime sequences though.
I assume you don't know the older fans of One Piece. Like me. And I have the US version of the OP......and you know which folder I put the file? 'Humour and Jokes'
Why?
Because it was comical relief for me and my hectic profession. Everytime I listen to it, I just want to laugh and laugh and laugh....... LAME but effective to kill stress.....

The Japanese OP1 RULES......

Anyway, I have watch only one episode of One Piece US Version and Luffy's voice and Zolo's(I can understand why they had to change the name though) are a joke compare with the Japanese voices....

The Japanese version RULES. 4crapkids should just stop dubbing One Piece, it is going to kill One Piece one way or another.....glad I live in Asia rather than the US....... I get the watch the ORIGINAL One Piece with all it's glory and stuff.....
I pity those living in the US watching the 4crapkids version of One Piece.....

I was wondering who Crocodile was holding.......because it ain't Luffy he is holding...must be something else...because that scene makes Luffy looks like a chicken or a bird.........eewww....

Someone should just buy the license from 4crapkids and don't even release anything until they can fixed this whole big mess..or something like that.....
Old 2006-08-16, 21:10   Link #135
tidus0728

When I first heard Luffy and Usopp's voice acting I was going WTF?
4Kids really killed thire characters.
Luffy just sound he is hyperactive(which seem OkK sometimes)
Usopp sounds like he is high,
Sanji like an old man.

Nami, Robin, Chopper was Ok for me.

But lately I'm beggining to wonder what it would be like after the Skypier arc and Eniss Lobby arc.
Especially the fight between Luffy and Usopp, that fight was supposed to be serious but with current VA, its gonna sound like a hilarious fight.
Old 2006-08-16, 21:20   Link #136
yuchan

^ I was like WTF when i heard Luffys Japanese VA. Both the VA's suck. Luffy is fricking 17 wit abs yet he sounds like he's 8 in both versions. Sanji's english VA sucks ass like everyone else is saying. IMO, if they absolutely had to use Sanji's VA, they shoulda gave it to Zoro and gave Zoro's to Sanji.
Closed Thread