AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-07, 20:03   Link #1
Suomi
Kaiba

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I have conflicting opinions.

What is yours?
Do you believe in love at first sight, or not? Why or why not?
Old 2010-08-07, 20:08   Link #2
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

I believe in love at first sight as much as I believe I'll get "tails" the next time I flip a coin. </do NOT over-think this statement, I know I didn't lol>
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 20:09   Link #3
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Yes and no.

I certainly believe you can be very smitten with someone at first sight, but even if part of what has you taken is their behavior, I wouldn't call it 'love' because that's an active emotional exchange. Even the two most emotionally open people in the world could not love each other just by seeing each other.

However, I wouldn't underestimate the power that being so smitten can have. I obviously knew her reasonably well after months of talking, but when I finally met my girlfriend in person and saw her directly for the first time...that was quite a feeling, and it energized me.
Old 2010-08-07, 20:11   Link #4
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Nope, not at all.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2010-08-07 at 22:43.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 20:22   Link #5
Kittenlady

Intense physical attraction at first sight? Yes. But I think at least one conversation is necessary before you can call it love.

For romantic love, anyway. An awful lot of parents love their children from the first moment they see them.
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 20:45   Link #6
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Q. Do I believe in love at first site?
A. No.

Reason: If you see someone at who you never met before, and you immediately attracted to them, then that is not love. It is more of a case of being attracted by there appearance, and not for who they are. You have to get to know the person both intellectually, and personality.
Old 2010-08-07, 21:10   Link #7
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
I think it's possible to become interested at first sight, but I think very few of the people who would support love at first sight would be willing marry or otherwise spend the rest of their lives with that person before actually meeting them once...(or more)

but I agree completely with kittenladys statement about parents loving their children at first sight.
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 21:40   Link #8
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Nope I dont even believe in love its all just a lie
Old 2010-08-07, 22:05   Link #9
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Nope I dont even believe in love its all just a lie
How... cynical.

In any case, on the topic at hand: I don't believe in love at first sight, but I certainly believe in attraction at first sight. After all, you can't say you love someone right when you first see them; you don't know who that person is, or what kind of personality they have. Falling in love with them happens after you know them, but you could see someone for the first time and still be attracted to them.
Old 2010-08-07, 22:11   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Q. Do I believe in love at first site?
A. No.

Reason: If you see someone at who you never met before, and you immediately attracted to them, then that is not love. It is more of a case of being attracted by there appearance, and not for who they are. You have to get to know the person both intellectually, and personality.
Pretty much what I would have said.
Old 2010-08-07, 22:18   Link #11
Gin
*Artist

I believe in lust at first sight, but not love. Love requires knowing a lot more about someone then just what they look like. Anyone who believes in love at first sight is a really shallow person imo.
Old 2010-08-07, 22:40   Link #12
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Can't add much more to what was already said, that it's not love at first site, but attraction/lust. Love requires going both ways, and wanting someone else's happiness over yours, and that's only something that you can find out after being together for awhile.

Even then, there are multiple levels of love. From attraction/lust all the way to long-lasting companionship, and you only get to the last after a long time of dating and being a couple/threesome/etc. Also, it's only by deliberately taking the time (months, if not years), before you can find out if your feelings will last.

What's 1 or 2 years, when you'll be together for 40+ if it all works out? =)
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 02:02   Link #13
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Love... well, as most people have been saying, attraction at first sight and love at first sight are two things that are interchangeably mixed around. Love, is a very complex feeling, and that feeling is very gradual and dynamic, and it changes as the object of said love changes over the times, doing certain things, having certain personalities, and ect. Sure, you see one girl and treat her like she's nothing special. That doesn't mean that that's exactly going to be not meant to be something. She could secretly be the girl of your dreams, for all you know. You can see a girl that is probably the object of your tastes and attractions, and eventually get to learn that she's (pardon my French) a complete slut. And I happen to know this from experience, unfortunately.

In a nutshell, love can be very unpredictable, a dynamic and constantly moving entity, if you will. Can love at first sight exist? Yeah, I think there are times. Does that love often get mistaken for being simply attracted to certain qualities (and not restricted to physical attractiveness)? Of course. For me, it takes time to truly tell whether or not you love someone, or perhaps your heart skips a beat and you have a crush on someone. Love just takes time to realize. Feelings don't simply change overnight, or in a minute. That said, with passing of time, nothing in this world doesn't change.

Okay, I apologize for my lengthy speech on love...
Old 2010-08-08, 02:46   Link #14
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Love at first site is a myth, well true love a first site anyway, I know this because my mom was not my dad's first choice if you know what I mean.

I think you can fall into bed with someone at first site, but you have to know 'em pretty well to fall in love.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 03:05   Link #15
Irkalla
I asked for this

I believe in sex after first sight, but I don't believe in love after first sex. Maybe after a couple, providing they aren't all done in the same day.
Old 2010-08-08, 03:11   Link #16
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Love... well, as most people have been saying, attraction at first sight and love at first sight are two things that are interchangeably mixed around. Love, is a very complex feeling, and that feeling is very gradual and dynamic, and it changes as the object of said love changes over the times, doing certain things, having certain personalities, and ect. Sure, you see one girl and treat her like she's nothing special. That doesn't mean that that's exactly going to be not meant to be something. She could secretly be the girl of your dreams, for all you know. You can see a girl that is probably the object of your tastes and attractions, and eventually get to learn that she's (pardon my French) a complete slut. And I happen to know this from experience, unfortunately.

In a nutshell, love can be very unpredictable, a dynamic and constantly moving entity, if you will. Can love at first sight exist? Yeah, I think there are times. Does that love often get mistaken for being simply attracted to certain qualities (and not restricted to physical attractiveness)? Of course. For me, it takes time to truly tell whether or not you love someone, or perhaps your heart skips a beat and you have a crush on someone. Love just takes time to realize. Feelings don't simply change overnight, or in a minute. That said, with passing of time, nothing in this world doesn't change.

Okay, I apologize for my lengthy speech on love...
I'm leaning more towards here, I beleive the concept exists and I've met couples past their 60's with marriages of 20+ years, who claim to have just known that:
'yes, he/she is the one for life for me, I want no one else'
Whether it's more a hindsight thing and they claim it 'love at first sight', or they knew with their gut instinct that to pursue with this person is gonna make them set of life, I can't tell, rather none of us can ever tell short of stepping into their bodies and minds.
But sometimes, when you know you've got something good going on and all it takes is the time to realise and make it apparent, then yeah, it's love, just as I see it, not in it's complete form.
The 'falling for them', sometimes can just be a tiny bud/seed of which it grows stronger and more steady as time goes on, rather than literally being bespelled and being drawn in, acting all dizzy and giddy. (more akin to lust, perhaps?)

However those over 60+ were born and raised in a completely different generation and time of communication and technology that was far limited than to what the youth of today are exposed to.
Since many of us under 25 seem to be 'clued up' on this deal, scientifically and all, then nowadays out of 'common practice' it would lean towards thevil1's definition of needing to know their mental and emotional aspects as well as their physical.

Any other aspects are more likely to fall into lust.
(Then again because me and Ledgem love challenging this aspect)
What about those who claim to be 'in love online' because they've got their mental and emotional aspects down pat and accept and adore the person for it.
Wouldn't that be just as shallow or does it hold more "weight" just because we tapped in beyond what we can see in their bodies.

Just something for pondering, my long ass novella answer for that is in one of the 'online relationship' threads, but in short, i find 'online love at first long chat' way more dangerous than 'offline'.

To round it back to question at hand,
Do I do think the concept exists and has been successful to a few lucky peeps over our course of history?
Yep.
Jealous as hell to those who know it from the start and still are with them for decades to come, no matter the bad or the good or how they both grow as people.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 03:24   Link #17
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I believe in lust at first sight, but not love. Love requires knowing a lot more about someone then just what they look like. Anyone who believes in love at first sight is a really shallow person imo.
I agree with this,
you cannot "love" a person you looked at once, or even a few times if you don't even know what they are like.

For all you know, once you get to know her, she could be a psycho.
And I know what I'm talking about.
Old 2010-08-08, 03:25   Link #18
LovelyRose

Yes, Definitely <3
LovelyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 03:33   Link #19
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 06:51   Link #20
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

It's really gonna depend on one's definition of love. People who easily fall head over heels everytime they see someone they like is already gonna view it as love believing it's meant to be and all that drama.

I don't believe in love at first sight but I know interest does.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote