AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-07, 14:46   Link #1
CC Ricers
Governating the peasants

What happened to Overman King Gainer?

Has it been licensed? I cannot find official DVDs on it so I assume it isn't.

From what I heard only 10 episodes have been subbed by one group, and apparently the series didn't catch on too well so they gave up w/o subbing the other 16. Now it's very hard finding all 10 subs, I only have episodes 1 and 2.
CC Ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 16:10   Link #2
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

It's not licensed, it's just that nobody is subbing it anymore. I believe Animehaven began to work on it a couple of months ago, but only the first two episodes were released by them until they stopped.

Oh well.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 16:28   Link #3
lomeando

I love OKG. We were planning to do a joint with LS-A to help finish it. But I'll tell you what happened: 5 different translators balked on it. Maybe more than that, I lost count on the LS-A side. It's been with number 6 or 7 or whatever it is now for a few months now, and I still haven't seen a single script.

So, don't hold your breath. I've also heard lots of rumors that it's already licensed, just not announced. If it makes it through another con season, maybe we'll start trying to find a dedicated translator for it in earnest.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-07, 17:59   Link #4
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

WPP claims they are going to be subbing it with Anime-in-Action, but nothing more has been said on it. WPP already does Rockman.EXE Axess, Chrno Crusade and other stuff they haven't finished yet. They're not exactly the fastest group around, but they do good work. I have no idea when they'll get to it.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 09:19   Link #5
Briareos

I just wanted to say, to any group who's interested in subbing (or finishing) this series, that there's certainly interest out there for it. (Well at least I'm interested.) I'd certainly help if I could. I can help by seeding some torrents!

Okaaaaaay. I see that OKG is listed as licensed on the "How many eps?" post, but is not shown on any of the license lists linked by Animesuki. Is it really licensed (Bandai or someone else)? Has it simply not been announced yet?

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-04-13 at 09:35.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 09:39   Link #6
SimplyEd
Claytard

Yeah, let us all sign a freelance petition for subbing OKG, i would really like to see it released one or the other way. So far i've only seen a few raw japanese versions on some conventions and i think i lost some lines while i was watching it^^
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 10:25   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
Okaaaaaay. I see that OKG is listed as licensed on the "How many eps?" post, but is not shown on any of the license lists linked by Animesuki. Is it really licensed (Bandai or someone else)? Has it simply not been announced yet?
Que? Overman King Gainer isn't marked as licensed in the How Many Episodes thread, not even on the source copy on my hard drive. The AnimeSuki db doesn't list it as licensed either.

And there are three torrents visible on the Overman King Gainer but lacking in seeds.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 10:42   Link #8
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Que? Overman King Gainer isn't marked as licensed in the How Many Episodes thread, not even on the source copy on my hard drive. The AnimeSuki db doesn't list it as licensed either.

And there are three torrents visible on the Overman King Gainer but lacking in seeds.
OMG! I'm such an idiot. (I wondered why it was in red and bolded.) I had done a search for OKG and left the window open when I opened the How Many Episodes thread. The term was bolded and in red to help me find it (which is a great feature, BTW). Doh! My bad.

I included the because I thought it was weird that the torrent listings were still up (in the context of my blunder).

I'm sorry.
Old 2004-04-13, 10:44   Link #9
jennwenn

I'm still waiting for this series too. Its not licensed yet, though we've all been guessing Bandai because they own everything (ie. Gundam) made by Tomino. I can't tell why it hasn't been licensed or fansubbed yet, it was hugely popular in Japan. Maybe it got lost behind the Gundam SEED hype?

Or maybe *cue wild speculation* the groups were told to stop subbing by an official company but can't say anything about it? Nah, they would've spilled the beans.

I thought for sure it would be licensed last summer, but it was not. Seriously, if its not licensed by this summer's convention cycle, I'll be really really surprised.

Please somebody, I need my OKG! Dump all the other crap and work on Gainer!
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 10:46   Link #10
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
I'm still waiting for this series too. Its not licensed yet, though we've all been guessing Bandai because they own everything (ie. Gundam) made by Tomino. I can't tell why it hasn't been licensed or fansubbed yet, it was hugely popular in Japan. Maybe it got lost behind the Gundam SEED hype?

Or maybe *cue wild speculation* the groups were told to stop subbing by an official company but can't say anything about it? Nah, they would've spilled the beans.

I thought for sure it would be licensed last summer, but it was not. Seriously, if its not licensed by this summer's convention cycle, I'll be really really surprised.
If you do an Overman King Gainer search here (Animesuki Forum), you'll see that the translators "balked" or vanished on previous attemps at fansubbing this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Please somebody, I need my OKG! Dump all the other crap and work on Gainer!
Yeah, I was hooked by the end of ep 2.
Old 2004-04-13, 11:45   Link #11
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
If you do an Overman King Gainer search here (Animesuki Forum), you'll see that the translators "balked" or vanished on previous attemps at fansubbing this show.
I wonder why...is it hard to translate? Does it include really old words, technical terms, super fast talking, etc? I mean, even Kodocha was subbed even though it included insanely fast talking, and people are out there subbing Monster which has difficult medical terms. I'm sure there are people with skill out there who could do this...

Where can I find raws (that don't require me to use Winny since I can't connect to it for some reason)? I want to see this ^_^
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 11:56   Link #12
Briareos

No reasons for the balking were given, and groups are trying to get translators for the task (well at least one is).

If I still have the first two eps (by Lightshock-Anime) on my HD, I could seed those torrents (if I see anyone trying to get them). I may have deleted them out of the fear that I'd never see the conclusion. I'll have to check when I get home.
Old 2004-04-13, 13:17   Link #13
MrBrown

chikara-fansubs: Eps 1-5, sort of broke up after that cause the translator (that'd be me) didn't get along with the rest of the group.

animehaven: Eps 1-10, stopped, not sure why... because it wasn't a popular enough show and they were speedsubbers?

lightshock-anime: Eps 1-2, stopped because translator left. Seems like you guys are still trying to continue it.

anime-in-action + wolf pack productions: I know N-Bomb (AiA boss) has been working on something about OKG for a while... If they put it out, hopefully it'll be a real fansub with good raws and not an edited HK script and those but ugly HK bootleg raws he was originally going with...

(Though, personally I wouldn't trust WPP's quality, but that's just me.)
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 13:24   Link #14
MrBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
I wonder why...is it hard to translate? Does it include really old words, technical terms, super fast talking, etc? I mean, even Kodocha was subbed even though it included insanely fast talking, and people are out there subbing Monster which has difficult medical terms. I'm sure there are people with skill out there who could do this...
It's not THAT hard to translate, but it's clearly harder than the majority of anime. This is mostly because it doesn't repeat itself much and tends to use less common words or sayings. It doesn't require any kind of specific language knowledge (like technical terms) that much, however.

Most translator's could do this show, no problem. I guess it's just up to how much they like the show or working on it.
Old 2004-04-13, 14:37   Link #15
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown
chikara-fansubs: Eps 1-5, sort of broke up after that cause the translator (that'd be me) didn't get along with the rest of the group.
Chikara, eh? Then I congratulate you on your *excellent* work on Final Fantasy Unlimited back in the day!
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 14:47   Link #16
MrBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Chikara, eh? Then I congratulate you on your *excellent* work on Final Fantasy Unlimited back in the day!
I only did OKG for chikara and had nothing to do with FFU, but thanks anyways.
Old 2004-04-13, 15:10   Link #17
SimplyEd
Claytard

So, let's rename the thread and transfer it over to the fansub groups forum. Maybe it will catch the attention of some group that is desperately searching for new projects.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 15:38   Link #18
Briareos

Or we could stir up some activity in this thread:

Translator for King Gainer and/or Wataru wanted
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6828

On second thought, SimplyEd, your idea is better.
Old 2004-04-13, 17:32   Link #19
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

MrBrown, would you be interested in continuing to TL the series if you could get a more pleasant group of people to work with? I for one would be interested in working on a project
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 17:59   Link #20
iluid

As MrBrown said, LS-A is trying to continue subbing this (now joint w/ Anime-Kissaten). We do actually have a translation for episode 3, but we haven't been in much of a rush to release since we don't have anyone to translate episodes 4+. If any translators are interested in helping out at all, please let us know. We have the the staff (aside from tlers) and raws to get it subbed, but right now we're pretty much stuck (even though ep3 will most likely be released in the not too distant future). And yes, LS-A people are usually pleasant
iluid is offline   Reply With Quote