AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2007-07-31, 17:41   Link #1
OMG_Zerg_Rush

The Dubbing of One Piece

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the new Funimation release of One Piece

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you?re free to disagree with another person?s opinion, but don?t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it?s true. They?re human. Therefore, don?t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they?re inorganic objects. You don?t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
<end of edit by xris>

Found this on http://killthemongoose.satamsonic.com/onepiece/
not sure if its true or not but here are the new VA

Luffy: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Nami: Luci Christian
Zorro: Chris Sabat
Usopp: Sonny Strait
Sanji: Eric Vale
Chopper: Brina Palencia
Robin: Stephanie Young
________
Ass tits

Last edited by OMG_Zerg_Rush; 2011-03-21 at 14:59.
OMG_Zerg_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 20:27   Link #2
EphiamOricuna
Serpeant Of Lore

It is a great thing to hear. I've known about this for quite some time. However, they are starting where I'm not even close to yet (since I had to watch everything over again).
EphiamOricuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 23:26   Link #3
A Lamer
あほぉ&

If that list is real, could someone start pulling up audible examples of their works? I'm a sub purist so I I sort of just scream a lot during dubs, but I can recognize an appropriate choice (maile flannigan as naruto, for instance) when I hear it.

Regardless, I am very much concerned with what that funimation guy said about the voice cast. Although they're likely to go with the right choice in the end, when I read that article it made me very mad that they would rather go with some esoteric interpretation on what the character should sound like and not how the character actually does (for me the anime seiyuu is as close as it gets)

This reply has been idling in this window forgotten for a while so I am just going to submit it and hope for the best regarding finishing my thoughts.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 00:26   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush View Post
Found this on http://killthemongoose.satamsonic.com/onepiece/
not sure if its true or not but here are the new VA

Luffy: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Nami: Luci Christian
Zorro: Chris Sabat
Usopp: Sonny Strait
Sanji: Eric Vale
Chopper: Brina Palencia
Robin: Stephanie Young
Well to put this in perspective for those who watch alot of Funi dubs or familiar with ther work...

Luffy: Colleen Clinkenbeard ------->Riza Hawkeye (Full Metal Alchemist)
Nami: Luci Christian------------------>Wrath (FMA)
Zorro: Chris Sabat-------------------->Piccolo (DBZ)
Usopp: Sonny Strait------------------>Krillen (DBZ)
Sanji: Eric Vale------------------------->Future Trunks (DBZGT)
Chopper: Brina Palencia------------->Maho (BECK)
Robin: Stephanie Young------------->Kagero (Basilisk-she's fairly new)

Looks like they're going to their roots a bit with this line-up...with over 300 plus episodes inevitably to do Funi is giving it's vets paychecks for the next 6, 7 years atleast....In traditional Funi fashion, the main character will have that timid female component to the voice (honestly it seems to work with shonen dubs--Kid Gohan/Goku for example)...I actually liked Luffy's orginal dub voice, however the actor didn't get good material to make it as good as it could have been...Overall much better than the alternative..Gonna be weird hearing Trunks in Sanji's body though^^....
Old 2007-08-01, 23:21   Link #5
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer View Post
If that list is real, could someone start pulling up audible examples of their works? I'm a sub purist so I I sort of just scream a lot during dubs, but I can recognize an appropriate choice (maile flannigan as naruto, for instance) when I hear it.
The site i linked to has some samples of thier work.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS

Last edited by OMG_Zerg_Rush; 2011-03-21 at 15:00.
OMG_Zerg_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 09:33   Link #6
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush View Post
The site i linked to has some samples of thier work.
I feel silly now, thank you.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 20:30   Link #7
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Looks like they're going to their roots a bit with this line-up...with over 300 plus episodes inevitably to do Funi is giving it's vets paychecks for the next 6, 7 years atleast....In traditional Funi fashion, the main character will have that timid female component to the voice (honestly it seems to work with shonen dubs--Kid Gohan/Goku for example)...I actually liked Luffy's orginal dub voice, however the actor didn't get good material to make it as good as it could have been...Overall much better than the alternative..Gonna be weird hearing Trunks in Sanji's body though^^....
Actually, after listening to the thing on the website of sample voices, it's won't be wierd at all... the poeple playing the main cast of one piece can do a variety of voices
Take a litsen to the youtube link on the site OMG_Zerg_Rush linked to...

Colleen (luufy) as done a considerable deeper voice for another chacter as opposed to the lighter one of Riza Hawkeye
Sabat also did vegeta and yamcha... i'm thinking a more yamcha voice would be best for Zoro, the others being too deep sounding to me... or maybe something more in between...
In the case of Sanji, the sample on the site has a somewhat different voice than trunks... i like the sample they use because it voice of some guy whose in love and probably a bit of a womanizer from the sounds of it...
chopper had me worried for a second, cause it started with a little girl voice, but then want into boy and picked up...
Robin, with the fairly new voice actress, i think it's a pretty good one

ya when you make a list of the previous work of the voice actors, you should list a couple of roles, instead of just one... since a good voice actor does more than just one... i mean, for Luffy i think their gonna go with something more like waht's in that youtube sample as opposed to Riza hawkeye
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 20:33   Link #8
EphiamOricuna
Serpeant Of Lore

When will these new dubs be released? If this month, does anyone have any specific date?

If this was already told then sorry for asking =O
Old 2007-08-03, 21:10   Link #9
Slayerx

I'm not sure, but i'm guessing the end of the month i think...
I recall looking it up once, though my memory is rather scetchy... i thiink funimation's licencing starts from episode 144 (i think the episode where the ship falls from the sky) and than onward and it think Tv.com says that that episode will air at the end of the month... its kinda hard to tell though since the names and numbers of the episodes are different (curse u 4kids)
Old 2007-08-05, 11:00   Link #10
Quichigo

Still not gonna watch it.
Quichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 14:31   Link #11
EphiamOricuna
Serpeant Of Lore

I, however, will definitly watch it. The ONLY anime I've found better than One Piece thus far was FMA. Bleach, Naruto, Hellsing, etc. nothing gives me the urge to watch it other than OP. can't wait for the english version! No more subs for me!!!! ( I hate subs. I would rather watch anime in english.However, since the previous OP dub is crap...it leaves me no other option.)
Old 2007-08-05, 22:06   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post

ya when you make a list of the previous work of the voice actors, you should list a couple of roles, instead of just one... since a good voice actor does more than just one... i mean, for Luffy i think their gonna go with something more like waht's in that youtube sample as opposed to Riza hawkeye
Heh...Gimme a break man I was just giving people a general idea of who the VA was if they are familiar with Funi...I was never trying to make it a wiki entry...Fact remains Luffy will be done by the Riza Hawkeye actress...I do like if not love Funi now, but their DBZ days were littered with horrid voices and Yamcha was one of them...If Sabat goes any route he'd do better going the Piccolo route with the character over Yamacha perhaps taking a little of the gruff out of the voice as I've heard him do from time to time...I watch a good deal of Funi stuff and while their VA's can change their voices to some degree I can still tell who's who for the most part--They don't change that much (It was hysterical during the DBZ days how easy it was to tell)...Colleen obviously with vastly different character dynamics voicing Luffy will have to change by default (she has actually a very similiar voice as the 4kids actor which I like--Her Beet character sounds perfect for Luffy)...But like I said, Funi is now one of the more respectable dub-companies now so I can't wait to atleast check the new voices out...
Old 2007-08-14, 08:22   Link #13
cloud123456

Talking

i think its going to be great thay have workd hard to make sure thay get the right vioce acters for the new dub if you want to hear some of the work that the vioce acters have dun look on youtube and just seach for new one piece dub you should find a vid with the new vioce acters. thers still no date to when its comeing out yet.
cloud123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 09:32   Link #14
EphiamOricuna
Serpeant Of Lore

Hopefully soon. It is supposed to be sometimes in Augest, so they shoudl soon release some.
Old 2007-08-23, 16:16   Link #15
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

I hafta say that the 4kids version sucked, it was the voice acting that did it for me. Which was why I had stopped watching One Piece when it first aired on CN. But having the series picked up by Funimation is one of the best things tto happen.
Old 2007-08-23, 18:03   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphiamOricuna View Post
Hopefully soon. It is supposed to be sometimes in Augest, so they shoudl soon release some.
Actually not sure... i took another look at what it says on tv.com and tried to figure out which epsiode is which... unlike what i said before, it looks like this saturday's episode will be the very last 4kids episode, not the start of the funimation (it's a bit hard to judge because of the different naming and numbering of the episodes)... the episodes after that will be funimation. However, Tv.com does not list when those episodes are going to air, so it's unknown when they will start the funimation dub. they could air next week, or they may wait a while before starting... can't really be sure without offical word from funimation

I'm really do want to see how the new dub does... the youtube video has really struck my curiosity; it may not nessasairly be the offical voices their going with but it does give you a good idea. Not sure, but i think Robin's VA is the best match up out of the bunch in my opinion
Old 2007-08-24, 10:34   Link #17
EphiamOricuna
Serpeant Of Lore

I hope they eventually get to do the beginning episodes as well...I would like to watch them in english. Hopefully the dub will soon air =\
Old 2007-08-26, 11:45   Link #18
TwistedMarionette

Quote:
Well to put this in perspective for those who watch alot of Funi dubs or familiar with ther work...

actually for Colleen Clinken look up Beet the vandlebuster, in voice she uses is almost identical to japanese luffys voice
TwistedMarionette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 11:47   Link #19
TwistedMarionette

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurayamiLeader View Post
I hafta say that the 4kids version sucked, it was the voice acting that did it for me. Which was why I had stopped watching One Piece when it first aired on CN. But having the series picked up by Funimation is one of the best things tto happen.
actually i though the voice acting wasent too bad, if they only had a range of emotion it would have been better, it was all the editing that did it for me, and not even like big things but little things like changing a rice ball to a cookie.....
TwistedMarionette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 20:16   Link #20
aheartsredd
Alex E. H.

What is the first Episode they will release? What's the Name/Number of it?
aheartsredd is offline   Reply With Quote