3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.15%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-05, 15:02   Link #221
Ishtar Dark

Send a message via MSN to Ishtar Dark
I gave the episode a 9. I think it's a marvellously pulled off ending, and I would've given it a 10 (because a concise and well-organized anime ending like that is truly rare) were it not for Frederica's appearance at the end. Now, I find her interesting and everything, but her sudden appearance, having given no information whatsoever on her previously in the anime, isn't quite as intriguing as it is irritating.

And Takano's final scene (weeping in Tomitake's arms) made me cry. And not many things make me cry. So that's a most definite plus.

Higurashi is, and I'm sure will remain, one of my favorite anime series, for three reasons:
- the exceptional quality of the murder mystery-type story, and the likability of the villain (I have to mention this - isn't Takano's black suit just fabulous?)
- the presentation, however highly contrasted (cute on the surface, horrible below), is wonderful and doesn't feel 'wrong' at any point; quite the opposite
- the entirely constant level of quality, as opposed to some other animes (e.g., Death Note, however brilliant, unfortunately trips and tumbles later on...)

Well, my two cents.
Old 2008-01-05, 16:01   Link #222
angel.shade

Agree, Takano's breakdown at the end of the episode was a pure gold, Oscar-worthy performance! I gave the episode an 8 out of 10 primarily just for Takano's villain's expose. It was so believable and immersive, countering almost all the exasperation I felt resulting from Hanyuu's totally out-of-character behavior.

And yes, Takano's evil-mastermind outfit is totally metal.
Old 2008-01-05, 18:18   Link #223
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Hanyuu wasn't out-of-character when she was talking to Takano. In a sense that's her "true" personality.
Old 2008-01-05, 18:35   Link #224
angel.shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Hanyuu wasn't out-of-character when she was talking to Takano. In a sense that's her "true" personality.
From the perspective of someone who has never played the games, it's certainly not her true personality. I've never seen her act any other way besides demure, uncertain and under-confident.

A lot of the problems with the series are the fault of DEEN for leaving things out. =/
Old 2008-01-05, 18:46   Link #225
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel.shade View Post
From the perspective of someone who has never played the games, it's certainly not her true personality. I've never seen her act any other way besides demure, uncertain and under-confident.

A lot of the problems with the series are the fault of DEEN for leaving things out. =/
This isn't the first time she acted in a serious manner; don't forget her declaration of war to Takano in the end of episode 15.
Old 2008-01-05, 18:54   Link #226
angel.shade

Hm, I'd forgotten about that.
Old 2008-01-05, 21:13   Link #227
June 1983

I don't really think it's spelled out that this is Hanyuu's "true personality" in the games (then again, I haven't really played them, so I don't know), you're just expected to figure it out for yourself and use your imagination. I don't know -- I'm not sure where the TIPS which hint at Hanyuu's past are located in the game. They're at the very end of the thread, but I don't know what part of Matsuribayashi-hen they're in.
Old 2008-01-12, 12:02   Link #228
combat kitten

i never played the game, nor do i feel the anime's wellness must be justified to how closely it follows the game.

i watched the anime, loved it. from watching anime, it made me believe Hanyuu is a god, and the seriouse hanyuu with the red glowing is her true god self.

it always dissapoints me that hardcore fans always must compare every detail between the game and with the anime. many of us dont play games, but we still deserve to enjoy ( which i absolutely love higrashi ) and the anime was just perfect.
Old 2008-01-12, 12:09   Link #229
combat kitten

also i wanted to express my opinion to H2 isnt as scary or exciting as H1 yes that true, but i find no reason for H2 to be like H1 as ppl said the atmosphere is different.

as many of you know Kai = explained / solved in translation.

H1 for me, is like the part where roller coaster first took the LONGEST HIGHEST dive down.

H2 for me , is like the smaller, sharp turns, on a roller coaster ride, though not as horrifying as the highest dive, its refreshing and suspensfull till the end.
Old 2008-01-12, 12:16   Link #230
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat kitten View Post
it always dissapoints me that hardcore fans always must compare every detail between the game and with the anime. many of us dont play games, but we still deserve to enjoy ( which i absolutely love higrashi ) and the anime was just perfect.
It's the sad reality, if an anime has a game or is derived from a game.
People would almost always complain if the anime does not follow exactly what happens in the game.

For my point of view, after watching the final episode.
I appreciate the anime for what it is and I don't care whether it followed the games or not.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-01-12 at 20:05.
Old 2008-01-19, 09:43   Link #231
BaalChaamon

I absolutely loved the ending. It moved my heart to see things finally working out for Rika and the gang after all these horrifying experiences she had to go through and finally find piece.

Frederica is HAWT She might look like a druggy(just a bit) but there is something seductive yet elusive about her and I think thats what the producers were aiming for.
Old 2008-01-19, 19:21   Link #232
Velrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn
When watching Higurashi, I was like you, the horror was what kept me coming back for more. Killer lolis was an awesome concept all on it's own which was showcased as the focus in both Onikakushi-hen and Watanagashi-hen. I'll admit those two arcs scared the crap out of me, and I loved it. However, as the first season progressed, the emphasis shifted off of graphic horror and moved on to repeatedly suggesting that there is a reason for all this violence and paranoia. It's their intention to have a small voice in your head asking "wtf is going on" when the characters start going L5. By the end of season one, it's more of a mystery than horror. A progression you should have noticed.

It's not your fault for not knowing Japanese, but 解 (kai) roughly means solution/explanation. To the show's target audience, it's clear what the contents of the show is going to focus on- answering that question. That's why I don't like to call it S2 or second season, because that isn't really correct. It's more like another aspect of Higurashi, some would argue the "true" Higurashi.

No one is bashing you. They're just trying to tell you that Higurashi really isn't about the horror, as well done as it was. You're not wrong for liking the show purely for that part, but that isn't what Higurashi is about at it's core and therefore not the fault of the anime for completely transitioning. Especially when the title (kai) made it clear.
Awesome opinion that stole my heart. /agree

And so, I must say Higurashi was one of best serie/s (or two...) i ever seen. No it's not because i didn't see good anime series before, because i did. (Death Note / Cowboy Bebop or other stuff usually recognized as best series ever.) But in this one i found something more, not only original plot with great music and characters, but also some atmosphere that changed and manipulated my feelings as it wanted. (Like tripprazn said - first it was dark, scary and then became completely different.)

But hey, we're talking about end here aren't we? So about end - I think it was best possible i could imagine. There were enough scenes to make me cry. (I didn't though!) Still, I wish like many of you - to know how characters were growing and / or how exactly Rika was in different world.

By the way, my first post on this forum, Welcome AnimeSuki community!

Last edited by Velrok; 2008-12-30 at 23:16.
Old 2008-01-22, 22:33   Link #233
angel.shade

higurashi was good, certainly, but not best.

gunslinger girl (season 1) and black lagoon are my top picks.
Old 2008-02-07, 22:08   Link #234
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

Awesome plot..

from the season 1 up to season 2.
Old 2008-02-18, 00:49   Link #235
ViewtifulAlchemist

I just finished the final episode and I really enjoyed whole ride. For someone who hasn't played the games the epilogue kinda ruined the end for me but it's not so bad knowing that a third season will be made. This has become of my favorite series of all time.
Old 2008-02-22, 18:32   Link #236
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

Spoiler for Poor Rikka:

I liked the ending, this season put to a close alot of things that urked me from the first season. My only complaint is the lack of gore and romance.

I used to watch the first season with my bro and a couple relatives, but they dropped out halfway through since the lolis stopped killing each other. Can't really blame them though, that's what drew me in at first. But I don't like dropping out of a series due to some minor changes to the plot, so I stuck through it and I'm glad I did. It was really a great show.

Last edited by War_Lord; 2008-02-22 at 18:53.
Old 2008-02-23, 05:18   Link #237
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Spoiler for poor Rikka:
It wasn't Rika, and you misspelled her name.

Old 2008-02-24, 21:53   Link #238
The Real Nemo

Wikipedia says about Frederica that "She claims that she has no relationship with Rika, even though she is Rika with the mentality of the several thousand reincarnations of Rika." If that's the case than calling her adult Rika wouldn't be completely inaccurate would it?
Old 2008-02-25, 05:42   Link #239
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Nemo View Post
Wikipedia says about Frederica that "She claims that she has no relationship with Rika, even though she is Rika with the mentality of the several thousand reincarnations of Rika." If that's the case than calling her adult Rika wouldn't be completely inaccurate would it?
Rika has an adult mind anyway considering the fact she's about 100 years old. And since Frederica looks more or less the same as Rika, stating that she's an 'adult Rika' seems rather misleading.
Old 2008-02-25, 16:41   Link #240
The Real Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
Rika has an adult mind anyway considering the fact she's about 100 years old. And since Frederica looks more or less the same as Rika, stating that she's an 'adult Rika' seems rather misleading.
She looks a lot older doesn't she? Or at least she did at the end of ep 24...
Closed Thread