AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-19, 13:35   Link #121
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Oh Great seems somehow out of place there...

(I'm a fan of Oh Great's artwork, but I think of it as more of a modern style. The rest in there remind me more of the 90's.)
Because I am trying to cover a longer timeline. Mind you, many of those are still active and their style keep changing. Just look at an early Jojo and compare it to a recent chapter. So no, those guys did not retire to the Shangri-la of oldef@g to get sake served by meidos. The same will go for Oh Great, Buriki, Titty Kubo,etc...
Old 2012-03-19, 13:42   Link #122
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My only contention with comparisions is that if one is going to compare, one should compare within the same medium.

In this case, a anime cel of Konata should have an anime cel of Bulma for comparison.
Old 2012-03-19, 13:44   Link #123
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
YOU CAN'T TELL THEIR BODIES APART!? I assure you, if Buruma put on a sailor fuku like Konata, and the picture was cropped so you couldn't see heads or hair, I will still be able to tell which one's Buruma and which one's Konata. With much ease.
You need to be able to tell the context of replies, we have been talking about how characters of a series or style itself have no difference besides height or bust size, they all have the same proportions.

Now, tell me which one is Tsukasa, just from this pic alone, excuse my 5 minute photoshop, I even gave Miyuki free since her boobs instantly distinguish her, I'm lazy to edit Ayano, so that's also a give away.

When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 14:03   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This thread seems to be devolving into a false notion that the designs of one decade were intrinsically better than the designs of another decade --- when it really is just a subjective preference in taste.

I think both decades have both stellar and spectacu-fail designs and its pretty easy to cherry pick examples from each.
Old 2012-03-19, 14:17   Link #125
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You need to be able to tell the context of replies, we have been talking about how characters of a series or style itself have no difference besides height or bust size, they all have the same proportions.
Ohhh THAT'S what you meant. XD The infamous "Only Six Faces" trope.
Yes, but that's common, isn't it? We see this in western animation too, don't we? Can you name examples where EVERY single character is completely unique from others within the show? In South Park, all the children look the same if you take away the hair. You wouldn't even be able to tell the boys from the girls! The only one you would know for sure would be Cartman, because he's a big fatass. And in Flintstones, Wilma and Betty have the same body and face shape too. Only their eyes are slightly different: dots and white with dots. XD

Quote:
Now, tell me which one is Tsukasa,
Lol, no. Haven't a clue.

Quote:
it really is just a subjective preference in taste.
*bangs head against wall*
..........that's what it was supposed to be....now it's a huge debate.....ORZ

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-03-19 at 14:39.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 14:20   Link #126
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
http://wbd.deviantart.com/art/80s-St...nata-141056000 (80's style) <- this one?
Old 2012-03-19, 14:24   Link #127
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Urrr, I don't like it. XD I mean it's really well drawn and colored but I don't like it compared to original Konata.

Again, what's with the black lines across the nose!?
And her hair is too short.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-03-19 at 14:48.
Old 2012-03-19, 15:22   Link #128
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Lol that's 80s Konata xD
Old 2012-03-19, 15:24   Link #129
ujiuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
It is totally beyond me how any sane person could prefer freaky stuff like afro Kei over today's designs - there's *light years* between them.
Don't have anything to say apart from the fact that I like the design of Dirty Pair's Kei. It is of course not up to me to pronounce on my own sanity. Like I always say, tastes vary, or "De gustibus non est disputandum" if I'm feeling pretentious.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 16:21   Link #130
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiuji View Post
Don't have anything to say apart from the fact that I like the design of Dirty Pair's Kei. It is of course not up to me to pronounce on my own sanity. Like I always say, tastes vary, or "De gustibus non est disputandum" if I'm feeling pretentious.
<shrug> Agreed... I really can't imagine Dirty Pair looking some other way - it fits the decade they were produced in and the spirit of the storyline.

I feel like if one thinks an entire decade's art "all looks alike" then one isn't looking very hard, just doing a superficial glance.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:41   Link #131
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I feel like if one thinks an entire decade's art "all looks alike" then one isn't looking very hard, just doing a superficial glance.
If the audience has to look hard to find difference then the designers aren't doing a good job.

As a designer, one cannot hope to design something that looks too similar to something that already exists, this applies to all types of design. The general audience and customer doesn't pay too much attention on first glance, especially when they are not familiar with a particular genre or product. Just like people can't tell Gundams, Transformers and every other mecha apart.

But in the case of anime, the designers have kept trying to design something that looks similar so that they can attract the same target audience, making their design choices narrow.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 19:46   Link #132
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
If the audience has to look hard to find difference then the designers aren't doing a good job.
NO. What you said there applies to Clannad. What he's saying is people are making generalizations about 80s animation or the animation of this decade whatever.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:50   Link #133
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

To be fair, in real life one might not be able to tell people apart in some regions of the world unless you start looking more closely. Especially those with a more homogenous population.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:53   Link #134
Dr. Casey

I'm really not sure why it matters whether you can tell the characters apart if you white out certain features. If there's ever an anime released where the characters are missing their heads then feel free to let me know, but otherwise I don't think it's too terribly important, and I always felt that the non-decapitated Lucky Star characters we see in the series proper were adequately distinctive. I understand that having a character set that doesn't follow any uniform templates points to better artwork on a technical level, but if I look at 2007 Tomoya and think 'Hey that's pretty' wheras I look at 1985 Kenshiro and think 'Ew that's ugly,' I don't think the latter should be deemed superior just because it demonstrates more technical prowess.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2012-03-19 at 20:21.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 21:02   Link #135
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Any sane person would distinguish between the real character designs and some poor screen caps.
The screencaps don't make THAT big of a difference. >_>

Quote:
The basic character designs of Gunbuster, Macross, Dirty Pair and Maison Ikoku ,the examples shown by the OP, are fully on par with those shown from Code Geass and Air and vastly superior to the generic design of Da Capo.
"Bleh" is all I have to say to that. XD
Wut....what makes Dirty Pair's design "superior" to Da Capo? o_o Da Capo girls look just like other dating sim girls but Kei and Yuri's faces and bodies look just like other 80s girls' faces and bodies. What makes them "so much better"? What's the difference?
Both are drawn with skill. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I prefer Da Capo's bigger eyes, sleek hair, and smaller noses. Does this mean I have bad taste in art? No, it means I like bigger eyes, sleek hair, and smaller noses.

Quote:
Lol that's 80s Konata xD
Yes......but why make her hair shorter? o_o Girls had long-ass hair in 80s anime TOO. XD Like Maetel from Galaxy Express 999. (whose design I do like a lot)

*.* SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-03-19 at 23:03.
Old 2012-03-19, 21:14   Link #136
mecharobot

Quote:
smaller noses
If there is one thing I've never understood, it would be the common anime fans hatred against noses. Is it such a bad things to have?
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 22:55   Link #137
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Agree about the nose. Some anime fans that I know really hate it, especially when it was made very obvious like characters from Escaflowne, Fist of the North Star, Macross, etc:

I don’t understand that. It’s a normal thing for humans to have noses and characters can still look good with them. But for those particular fans, less nose is the way to go. If it’s so, then they must love Krillin so much .
Spoiler for LOL:

(for those who don’t know: Krillin is a human character from Dragon Ball (Z) who literally doesn’t have a nose. It’s not an error in animation)
Old 2012-03-19, 22:59   Link #138
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
If there is one thing I've never understood, it would be the common anime fans hatred against noses. Is it such a bad things to have?
I said "smaller" nose, not "no nose at ALL".

No nose can look very weird....

but a realistic nose is a bitch to draw

Also, when I say "smaller nose", I mean when the character is facing you. I've really no problem with Escaflowne's noses as they are noticeable from just the side view....which is normal.
Old 2012-03-19, 23:12   Link #139
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Anime is designed for a japanese audience. A unpracticed westerner (okay, white, black, or latino) frequently fails to notice cues that differentiate asians in real life - they may just be bad at noticing the cues in anime as well. They can't tell asian ages either without practice (cue the innumerable "that's jail bait" noises made at adult asian women).
Old 2012-03-20, 08:17   Link #140
Bri

Quote:
The screencaps don't make THAT big of a difference. >_>
Check a few anime art books where you can see the basic black and white character designs without coloring by the original artists, world of difference.

Quote:
"Bleh" is all I have to say to that. XD
Wut....what makes Dirty Pair's design "superior" to Da Capo? o_o Da Capo girls look just like other dating sim girls but Kei and Yuri's faces and bodies look just like other 80s girls' faces and bodies. What makes them "so much better"? What's the difference?
Both are drawn with skill. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I prefer Da Capo's bigger eyes, sleek hair, and smaller noses. Does this mean I have bad taste in art? No, it means I like bigger eyes, sleek hair, and smaller noses.
Because the character designs of the 80s shows you listed were made by very skilled manga artist and illustrators like Mikimoto, Yashiko and Takahashi who all have recognizable styles.

Same goes for the modern designs by CLAMP and Hinoue but the Da Capo designs by a young Nanao are unremarkable and mostly imitates the work of other popular artists, mostly Mitsumi.

Compare the original designs of Da Capo (Kotori) and Dirty Pair:

Spoiler for Spoiler for space:
Pretty big skill difference.

That you prefer VN style elements like really big eyes, sleek hair etc. is a matter of personal taste but that doesn't mean that mediocre or bad renditions of this art style are automatically better than quality artwork in other styles. Same goes for making sweeping statements on the quality of design from different eras.

Last edited by Bri; 2012-03-20 at 10:09.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote