AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-17, 16:54   Link #3681
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Was disappointed seeing the Group A result, so I'm glad the teams I'm rooting for in group B making it through. On paper I think the group B countries are stronger and can go defeat those from group A, but this tournament really shows that you can't make assumptions....really want Germany to defeat Greece though.

Tomorrow is interesting too - A tie is good enough to see Spain through, and might be good enough as well for Croatia as long as Italy doesn't win by more than two goals. They tied in head-to-head, and if it's the same goal difference I guess it then comes to goal scored, so Italy need to score at least three goals against Ireland to secure their place. Not exactly the hardest of tasks, but they've been missing their clinical touch...Well, Spain might help them by defeating Croatia too, in which case a 1-0 win is enough.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:53   Link #3682
NK_500
Disabled By Request

So Holland is out from the competition. Congrats to Ronaldo though.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 18:35   Link #3683
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Was disappointed seeing the Group A result, so I'm glad the teams I'm rooting for in group B making it through. On paper I think the group B countries are stronger and can go defeat those from group A, but this tournament really shows that you can't make assumptions....really want Germany to defeat Greece though.

Tomorrow is interesting too - A tie is good enough to see Spain through, and might be good enough as well for Croatia as long as Italy doesn't win by more than two goals. They tied in head-to-head, and if it's the same goal difference I guess it then comes to goal scored, so Italy need to score at least three goals against Ireland to secure their place. Not exactly the hardest of tasks, but they've been missing their clinical touch...Well, Spain might help them by defeating Croatia too, in which case a 1-0 win is enough.
My feeling is that Ireland will put up their most inspired performance against Italy. Surely they will feel the need to repay their fans' support in the game against Spain. The Irish fans deserve something to cheer for.

p.s. Just feel like making a special mention for Denmark's Daniel Agger. He not only held the fort against Germans admirably. He also made so many forward runs to drive the team forward, playing both central defender and support striker. Truly phenomenal display by the Danish captain. Too bad his team did not have half his desire to go for a win, which they badly needed.

Last edited by Kokukirin; 2012-06-17 at 20:01.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:17   Link #3684
Mentar
Banned

Agger was a total PITA, tremendous game from him. I can remember at least half a dozen situations where the German player would have been through to the goal via sharp pass, had not Agger intervened with a sliding tackle. He was definitely the man of the match in my book.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 08:26   Link #3685
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Agger was a total PITA, tremendous game from him. I can remember at least half a dozen situations where the German player would have been through to the goal via sharp pass, had not Agger intervened with a sliding tackle. He was definitely the man of the match in my book.
What's a PITA? Player in the Area? Powerful in the Air?
Old 2012-06-18, 09:43   Link #3686
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
What's a PITA? Player in the Area? Powerful in the Air?
"Pain in the ass", it seems, from Germany POV
Old 2012-06-18, 09:44   Link #3687
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
No, it's the other way round. The German game is pre-geared against Spain - see the possession play, and the controlled risk-averse setup. This system will take the edge off against weaker teams (leading to fewer goals compared to the counterplay routs in 2008/2010), but the idea is that "it should still be good enough". As it turned out to be. 9 points in this group is quite an achievement.

Whether or not it's going to be sufficient remains to be seen. We also have options to go for a more offensive setup (Reus, Schürrle), but it was felt to be unnecessary so far. I am convinced however that any game against Spain/Italy/France would be very very close. "Losing hard" is what will not happen. No way.
Losing hard will definately not happen. However, against Spain, I currently can't see a way for Germany to win. Our players seem to become more and more susceptible to errors, the longer the game goes on, with really just the first 25 minutes playing on a level that could rival Spain's. It's going to be hard against teams like Italy, France, Croatia and England, hard but possible. Spain however, is on a whole different level in my opinion. The way they play the ball with next to no room inside the opponents' defensive lines is just unbelievable. A german commentator put it well lately. He said they can play like in a broom closet. Germany has shown to be able to do so as well, with very strong ground play, but again, not nearly as consistantly. Well we'll have to see. Anything's possible I suppose. And then again I know next to nothing about the game anyway, so it could just be a false impression of mine.
Old 2012-06-18, 15:14   Link #3688
Mentar
Banned

Mhh, we'll see. At the moment, Spain has huge problems with Croatia, in fact, the Croats had the much better chances. All it would take is one lucky goal for a huge upset.
Old 2012-06-18, 15:55   Link #3689
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Balotelli is the ******* man. What a goal.
Old 2012-06-18, 17:06   Link #3690
Blaat

I had to laugh at his celebration.

And as for Spain, lucky, lucky them. Croatia should have gotten a penalty with Ramos being sent off.
Old 2012-06-18, 19:00   Link #3691
NK_500
Disabled By Request

If referee didn't see the ball crossed the goal line, the first goal for Italy may be another "Lampard Goal".
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 01:33   Link #3692
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Wow, we're through.

Honestly I wasn't so sure we would make it, mostly because I was expecting Croatia and Spain to tie their game and because despite the team having enough depth, coach Prandelli so far has been quite disappointing in figuring out the right starters and substitutions in the majority of the cases.

For some reason he won't drop Thiago Motta who has been awful so far, and won't even give Nocerino a couple of minutes... or like yesterday he finally decided to use Diamanti for the last part of the match but he subbed out Cassano rather than Thiago Motta.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:09   Link #3693
Mentar
Banned

My god. England is leading, but has all the luck in the world - they couldn't complain if they'd be down 1:4 by now. Ukraine also got a clear goal disallowed, and the goal to the English lead was pure slapstick.

Who knows, maybe they will achieve something this tournament. They sure are lucky enough so far
Old 2012-06-19, 15:10   Link #3694
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't know why we have those extra officials on the goal sides when we never actually see them make those Goddam calls. That was over the line. Well apparently he was offside anyway, but even so...

Also, what Mentar said.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-06-19 at 15:27.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:11   Link #3695
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
That has got to be the biggest referee mistake of this tournament so far. Sure, it was really really hard to see with bare eyes, but on the other hand, it has got to bug the hell out of the Ucraine team. I can understand them. If you have video proof, there's no reason, why the goal shouldn't be counted. That's an often discussed topic, though.
Old 2012-06-19, 15:45   Link #3696
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
After this England I guess none here should complain again about Greece

As for the other match, I really felt sorry for my french hosts, but Sweden deserved to go through the group
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:53   Link #3697
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Condolences to any Ukrainian fans. All I can say is that, if it makes you feel any better we'll probably be going out in the next match; the quarter-finals seems to be England's natural limit. If, somehow by chance we make it past Italy, I'm sure Germany will be ready to give us a good thrashing again .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:59   Link #3698
Mentar
Banned

Remember what I wrote before the tournament started? Maybe England actually manages to achieve something this time - because for once, they do NOT go in with the huge pressure of being the self-declared top favorite. And lord knows that English teams know how to shut their defense if they have to... at least this kind of resilience comes from hosting the Premier League.

I'll give them a decent fighting chance against Italy - in fact, I would love England to take them out, because Italy is ALWAYS a bad matchup for Germany (who I'd expect to most likely prevail against Greece). And hey - what a semifinal Germany - England would be ... down to the penalties!

Too bad for the Ukraine. They had more chances than you could shake a stick at, but they simply didn't make it. And I completely agree with Haak - what's the point of the goal referees if they don't do their f*cking job? The ball came over so slowly that the goal ref had ample time to position himself.
Old 2012-06-19, 16:02   Link #3699
monsta666

Quote:
My god. England is leading, but has all the luck in the world - they couldn't complain if they'd be down 1:4 by now. Ukraine also got a clear goal disallowed, and the goal to the English lead was pure slapstick.

Who knows, maybe they will achieve something this tournament. They sure are lucky enough so far
The ball clearly crossed the line but the striker was off-side. That was also quite clear so it was a bad all round performance from the assistant referees. I am not sure if England should have lost heavily; I think a draw would have been a fair result. In any case though the referee behind the goal line needs his eyes examined.

EDIT:

Also as another example of poor linesmanship is the clear header the Ukraine had. While the player should have been marked he was clearly off-side. I even thought that during the live footage (saw it before the replay) yet the linesman did not see the off-side position. He was quite poor really and you hope this team of referees does not officiate the later stages of the tournament.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 17:06   Link #3700
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
The ball clearly crossed the line but the striker was off-side. That was also quite clear so it was a bad all round performance from the assistant referees. I am not sure if England should have lost heavily; I think a draw would have been a fair result. In any case though the referee behind the goal line needs his eyes examined.
Were the refs. clearly showing offsides? If so, then this argument is moot.

Otherwise then this argument stands:

Red line = end line
Blue dot = ball

From that angle, the ball is clearly and completely past the line. So, it IS a goal - barring the offsides call.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...y-at-euro-2012

Time to get that Goal Line Technology more implemented, to confirm goals (or disallow them). Any argument related towards disrupting gameflow is moot, because it takes only a few seconds to check. More time is wasted for goal celebrations.

Thing is. The tech. is only in a testing phase. It's about time to put them into actual tournaments:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18190250

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
FIFA will decide on July 5 whether to approve the new five-official system tested at Euro 2012 and two goal-line technology systems.
Oh. OK. The more thorough the officiating. The more accurate it'll be. Of course, it'll never be 100% no matter how much is put into refereeing and technology. But, it's better than how things are being done now.

Highest levels of competition demand highest levels of officiating. No question.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer