AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2014-07-25, 23:06   Link #13041
_Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Umm, first of all, Crunchyroll uses the same translator for the Fairy Tail manga that Kodansha does, one William Flanagan. You can read an interview with him from a few years ago here where his work on Fairy Tail comes in for a brief mention. So anything that Crunchyroll has is what will be in the volumes, short an obvious error being pointed out. Second, the kindle ebook version is already out, and it confirms no changes from the web. So his official name is Keyes, and that's unlikely to change.
Yeah yeah, I don't care though. It's too late for me. I'm still gonna call the guy Keith because like I said, it's goddamned hilarious. So whatever makes me laugh is what I'll go with in this situation.
_Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 23:14   Link #13042
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Sadly true. The reason the FT Wikia doesn't use the official name for Keyes is twofold. First, Kodansha removed the page assuring readers that the spelling of names come from Mashima. So even the the process is unlikely to have changed, they take the stance that it can't be confirmed those are the intended names. Second, is out of spite, primarily on the part of ChaosKnight, the translator over at the wikia. You see, Keyes name in Japanese is キース pronounced "kiisu". Geese from the Fairy Tail Movie's name is ギース, pronounced "giisu". As you can see, not much difference at a glance when written, just the giisu having a " on the first character. Anyways, Bacchus references Geese back in chapter 298, but in an error likely due to rushing through volumes to catch the series translation up in time for it's debut on Crunchyroll, Mr. Flanagan read the giisu as kiisu, missed the reference and translated it as Keith. So, out of spite for that mistake, ChaosKnight has insisted on translation Keyes name as Keith.

Which is a pity as the spite extends to other official names to a lesser extent as well, and ChaosKnight is otherwise a very good translator himself.
And now odds are Funimation will recognize the name as the one everyone uses and call him "Keith" in the dub as well (assuming the anime covers the arc). Then again, they might not. I was very grateful they didn't call Cubellios "Cuberos", and they're calling Meredy/Merudy "Meldy". I even remember a time when the FT Wiki proclaimed that Yajima's full name was "Shitou Yajima" because an epic translation fail managed to translate "Yajima" as "Shitou" (it was a joy to finally set them straight). But as minor as it is, I'm still incredibly miffed that they called Gray's Edolas counterpart's surname "Surge" instead of "Sorouge".

As you can probably guess, I'm not a big fan of the way some things, especially names, work on the FT Wiki. It's a real hassle to know for sure what the Kodansha USA translations are so they can be used on Wikipedia, which has a strict "no-fanslation" rule. I'm still trying to convince them to associate Etherion with "Eternano" (which should be "Ethernano") due to its periodic mentions during the Tower of Heaven arc, especially when Erza explains that Ethernano contains multiple magical properties besides fire while Natsu eats it.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 00:13   Link #13043
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

So now we get a "Itachi giving secret power" moment, somehow i got the feeling chapters ago that END was related to fire and following that, to Natsu....now that everyone have said thing like Edolas Natsu or Evil Natsu...I dont think that being a altered Natsu is possible, since we know that igneel fought END at some point, and in that time he didnt even knew Natsu(if im not wrong) and using the plot twist that hes from the future, will be off since we already went through an arc regarding time travel.....now i can only think that END is actually the father of Natsu(since we are starting to know the father from some of the members) and that Igneel took natsu away when they fought and trained him. Maybe something that i said may be wrong,but still, thats my theory
Old 2014-07-26, 01:06   Link #13044
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Great Chapter. Now Juvia better end up with Gray lol. One of my favorite anime couples ever.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 01:19   Link #13045
_Misfit

^ It'll happen, especially now that Gray's pops has given Juvia his blessing. I don't know if they'll become canon this arc (although it would make sense), but if not then everyone is just gonna have to be patient. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 2014-07-26, 10:46   Link #13046
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Misfit View Post
^ It'll happen, especially now that Gray's pops has given Juvia his blessing. I don't know if they'll become canon this arc (although it would make sense), but if not then everyone is just gonna have to be patient. Good things come to those who wait.
I find it interesting since I didn't actually think too much of Juvia at first... but the Gajeel arc and that arc with the ethernano/etherion stuff made me really start appreciating her character, lol.

Also, it'll be nice to see Gray in action with his new power-up.

But I'm still a bit curious as to how Gray will respond to Juvia killing his father. No one said that he's gotten over it even if his father has...
Old 2014-07-26, 11:45   Link #13047
_Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
But I'm still a bit curious as to how Gray will respond to Juvia killing his father. No one said that he's gotten over it even if his father has...
I don't think it would be keeping with Gray's character if he just started hating Juvia for what she did. I think Gray would totally understand. If anyone is going to hate Juvia, it's Juvia herself. And I can definitely see Gray telling her that everything is fine.

And now that Mashima has teased a romantic chapter, assuming he's talking about a specific ship, I'm prepared for that to be all about Gruvia. They make the most sense.
Old 2014-07-31, 14:39   Link #13048
Kafriel
Senior Guest

About official names:

Give people a break, words can be pronounced in many ways. By the way, eternano is the proper way to read it (エテルナノ), even if Mashima meant ethernano, because there's no θ available in japanese. Also, keyes would be spelled キ-ズ, so Keith sounds better imo.

Quote:
I don't think it would be keeping with Gray's character if he just started hating Juvia for what she did. I think Gray would totally understand. If anyone is going to hate Juvia, it's Juvia herself. And I can definitely see Gray telling her that everything is fine.
Not too sure if everything will go on without any friction between the two, but Juvia will definitely be hard on herself for it...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 17:44   Link #13049
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Give people a break, words can be pronounced in many ways. By the way, eternano is the proper way to read it (エテルナノ), even if Mashima meant ethernano, because there's no θ available in japanese. Also, keyes would be spelled キ-ズ, so Keith sounds better imo.
Hmm, I dunno. キース is a pretty legitimate transliteration of "Keyes" according to what I saw on the Japanese Wikipedia, as were "Keese" and "Kiess" (and of course, "Keith"). It just goes to show how the English pronunciation isn't the only way to pronounce something. Otherwise "Hades" would be ヘイディーズ instead of ハデス, "Satan" would be セイタン instead of サタン, "Lamia" would be レイミア instead of ラミア, etc.

And need I remind you that "Etherion", similar to "Ether-nano", is エーテリオン in Japanese? So it sounds like "Eterion".

Old 2014-07-31, 19:21   Link #13050
_Misfit

Quote:
Not too sure if everything will go on without any friction between the two, but Juvia will definitely be hard on herself for it...
I'm not saying that there won't be any friction, I'm just saying that there's no way that Gray would hold it over her head for the remainder of their existence, or for the remainder of that chapter, whenever it is. Especially if he can see himself how much Juvia has beaten herself up over it.
Old 2014-07-31, 19:23   Link #13051
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Not for nothing, but why should proper name pronunciation matter at this point? Elsa>Erza, Gerard>Jellal and people still use the old names they were called back in the day, so why should Keith/Keyes? Guy's dead, Juvia won, case closed, move it along people.
Old 2014-08-01, 01:19   Link #13052
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Spoiler for Fairy Tail Manga 395:
Old 2014-08-01, 01:34   Link #13053
II Maestro

LOL at chapter 395~!

It was really cool seeing Natsu & Gajeel turned into Lightning Flame Dragon & Shadow Iron Dragon but in end they each beat they're opponent and deliver the finishing blow to each others face~!
Old 2014-08-01, 01:38   Link #13054
G147

Lily's delusion on Minerva. >___>
And somehow the battle turn into monsters vs monsters. But i guess Natsu and Gajeel are still idiots.
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 07:25   Link #13055
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

Great way to end a long drawn out fight (in Fairy Tail standards).

So what else about the arc needs resolving? I remember Makarov going back to the guild to get Lumen Histoire. Is Face completely inactive now?
Old 2014-08-01, 08:32   Link #13056
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel10 View Post
Great way to end a long drawn out fight (in Fairy Tail standards).

So what else about the arc needs resolving? I remember Makarov going back to the guild to get Lumen Histoire. Is Face completely inactive now?
My guess is Franmalth is leading Erza to the control room so he can activate Face himself by taking over the chairman's soul/body (assuming doing so lets him know how to activate Face), though it's not the most likely route considering how he could've done this before but didn't, unless he was sidetracked before.

Old 2014-08-01, 09:20   Link #13057
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Otherwise "Hades" would be ヘイディーズ instead of ハデス, "Satan" would be セイタン instead of サタン, "Lamia" would be レイミア instead of ラミア, etc.
Lamia is actually pronounced as ラミア in any language (wth an L, of course), hades and satan depend, I've seen both. I guess we'll know for Keith when he is referred to in the anime.

Quote:
Lily's delusion on Minerva. >___>
this Despite its title, the chapter was pretty funny - I take it that extreme pain is what the demon duo felt against the wrath of two dual element dragon slayers

Quote:
Is Face completely inactive now?
MG is still alive and kicking...and he is definitely more dangerous than Face. I guess he could reactivate them somehow, though, so getting him out of the way will probably become FT's #1 priority soon.
Old 2014-08-01, 09:49   Link #13058
Krono

Quote:
this Despite its title, the chapter was pretty funny - I take it that extreme pain is what the demon duo felt against the wrath of two dual element dragon slayers
The full title is Tartaros Arc, Part 5: Ultimate Pain. So again, the title is for the next 7-8 chapters.

For those not keeping track but who are still curious, the current count goes:

Chapter 356. Tartarus Arc Prologue
Chapter 364. Tartarus Arc, Part 1: Immorality and Sinners
Chapter 371. Tartarus Arc, Part 2: Song of the Sky Dragon
Chapter 379. Tartarus Arc, Part 3: Underworld King
Chapter 387. Tartarus Arc, Part 4: Father and Son
Chapter 395. Tartaros Arc, Part 5: Ultimate Pain

So don't expect the meaning of the title to start becoming clear for another 4 chapters or so.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 09:59   Link #13059
immblueversion

Quote:
Lamia is actually pronounced as ラミア in any language
Everywhere except here and here, apparently.

Old 2014-08-01, 12:45   Link #13060
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Everywhere except here and here, apparently.
Never heard of the first one before (and Lamia would be more akin to a snake-beast than a vampire, but whatever), the wiki version states Leimia but has the original greek, which is Lamia. Anyway, moving on because we're going off-topic.

Quote:
The full title is Tartaros Arc, Part 5: Ultimate Pain. So again, the title is for the next 7-8 chapters.

For those not keeping track but who are still curious, the current count goes:

Chapter 356. Tartarus Arc Prologue
Chapter 364. Tartarus Arc, Part 1: Immorality and Sinners
Chapter 371. Tartarus Arc, Part 2: Song of the Sky Dragon
Chapter 379. Tartarus Arc, Part 3: Underworld King
Chapter 387. Tartarus Arc, Part 4: Father and Son
Chapter 395. Tartaros Arc, Part 5: Ultimate Pain

So don't expect the meaning of the title to start becoming clear for another 4 chapters or so.
Thanks for that, didn't notice it's a running thing. How long do you expect this arc to last? I'd give it 7~11 chapters, depending on how rushed it gets.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen