AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-09, 22:31   Link #421
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I just finished reading this. Kudohs to the translators.

I feel really fulfilled after reading Surprise. Even if the author says he didn't really have a good reason for the delay, I do feel those years didn't go to waste. The story was well developed, the characters interactions were delightful, the drama was always there and overall the story kept you on your toes. I even felt sadness at Yasumi's dissapeareance and Sasaki's departure from the main story (I hope Kyon's implication that we may see more of her is not a red herring). Sasaki's character in particular must be one of the most likable I've seen, even if it felt a little too constructed at parts. Nothing I can't forgive in a light novel.

9/10
I'm eagerly waiting for whatever the author will publish next.
Old 2011-08-10, 00:22   Link #422
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Well, the biggest plot point that sticks out in my head is that weird thing that Tsuruya dug up in the 7th novel, right on the hill that Haruhi hid those chocolates the girls made for Kyon and Koizumi. We still know NOTHING about it. I think that plot thread alone is enough reason for me to conclude that the eleventh novel was definitely NOT the end. It has Chekhov's Gun written all over it.
Oh that. Yes. Agree. No argument. Now I'm happy since I feel the series will probably continue for sure.

Now that we're on the topic though, is there any foreshadow left from the early part (~v1-3) of the story? The "Have I met you before?" is Bamboo leaf, and "Kyon always like weird girl" with this arc. Anything else left?
Old 2011-08-10, 06:25   Link #423
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I feel really fulfilled after reading Surprise. Even if the author says he didn't really have a good reason for the delay, I do feel those years didn't go to waste. The story was well developed, the characters interactions were delightful, the drama was always there and overall the story kept you on your toes. I even felt sadness at Yasumi's dissapeareance and Sasaki's departure from the main story (I hope Kyon's implication that we may see more of her is not a red herring). Sasaki's character in particular must be one of the most likable I've seen, even if it felt a little too constructed at parts. Nothing I can't forgive in a light novel.
I've just finished the first part, and despite being spoiled a bit on the later plot (I figured Sasaki couldn't be a constant character because Haruhi has to be the leading lady) I'm eager to finish the story.

But... I might read the first part a second time before I go on. The plot is getting set up nicely for an exciting conclusion in the second part. I think the first is only just the warm-up...

Beyond that, this series has always been fairly meditative (is that a trait of Japanese storytelling, or Tanigawa even moreso?), but this time around I was especially tuned into Tanigawa's commentary. I enjoyed Kyon's narration as usual, and Haruhi's criticism of the education system. I especially liked the last part where Sasaki and Kyon have that long conversation that eventually delved into existential thoughts about what life means. I really like Sasaki as a character as well. You could be right about her feeling a bit constructed, but she plays a great role as a foil for both Haruhi and Kyon in different ways. I get the feeling Tanigawa also uses Sasaki as a means to express some of his musings that other characters just can't voice as well. Sasaki's apparent calmness and clarity of thought let her tap into ideas more directly than the other characters. I really like reading her mini-essays.

I think if Asakura could come back, I'm sure Sasaki will too before the end (which I am not at all convinced Surprise comprises, even if I haven't finished it).
Old 2011-08-10, 08:31   Link #424
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Now that we're on the topic though, is there any foreshadow left from the early part (~v1-3) of the story? The "Have I met you before?" is Bamboo leaf, and "Kyon always like weird girl" with this arc. Anything else left?
What kind of foreshadowing do you mean?

Also, the two phrases you mentioned were both already present since Melancholy.
Old 2011-08-10, 14:32   Link #425
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
This thing was a pretty good read, with a nicely developed story and some comedy mixed in.

9/10
Old 2011-08-10, 15:13   Link #426
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
Have to agree with you JB, especially since Tsuruya actually mentions the thing at the end of the novel.

Anyways, I'll say here what I said on tvtropes:

Just read both parts last night.

I'm not going to lie, I was actually rather underwhelmed with most of it, I guess due to the fact that it was really depressing ... until the final chapter. Then I realized that all the wait had been worth it (also, I guess since I'd already read the data space battle the instant it got translated that it didn't have as big of an impact for me). That final chapter though, ho-ly shit.

Random thoughts:

- Itsuki is credit to team
- I find it somewhat odd that Kuyou has almost gotten Karma Houdini status, in that no one seems to care that she tried to kill Haruhi. Sure it was at Fujiwara's insistence, but it's not like she had a problem with it.
- I see that there's probably at least a couple of plot holes that have been dropped, what with the Kyon who fell through time thing that happened at the end.
- A glimpse of all three TFEI at the end, surely this won't be the last appearance of Asakura. I really can't thank the Pt B enough.
It was an awesome read though. I guess I wasn't in the right mindset through most of it, but that climax just changed my perspective on the whole thing and made me appreciate the buildup a lot more.
I agree with pretty much everything you've just said. Except for the part about being underwhelmed. I personally want to know a lot more about Fujiwara and Kuyou, I don't really like Fujiwara as a person but he's awesome as a character, with what might be an interesting backstory.

As for Kuyou I want to know what her deal is. Is she ordered to obey Fujiwara? Does she do it of her own volition? Is she under his control? What has Kyon gotten himself into now? And what else has Yasumi got to do? I have almost as many questions about the characters as I do about the story at this point.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
Old 2011-08-10, 21:22   Link #427
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
What kind of foreshadowing do you mean?

Also, the two phrases you mentioned were both already present since Melancholy.
Umm, maybe my language is weird (I'm not a native speaker so please excuse me that). I mean, is there something like those two phases left from the early part of the story that wasn't get explored yet. Those two are examples that already get explored. I don't know if he really planned ahead of time, but the fact that those bits mentioned from the first novel are driving the later part of the series is one of the aspect that I really, really like.
Old 2011-08-10, 21:33   Link #428
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Umm, maybe my language is weird (I'm not a native speaker so please excuse me that). I mean, is there something like those two phases left from the early part of the story that wasn't get explored yet. Those two are examples that already get explored. I don't know if he really planned ahead of time, but the fact that those bits mentioned from the first novel are driving the later part of the series is one of the aspect that I really, really like.
Although I feel like this discussion should probably go into a different thread, I'll answer your question with this: Kyon's mentioning of his cousin in various novels (I think two or three). In those few instances, he talks about how he had a cousin that he had a crush on that broke his heart. He also claims that he's over it, but if he was, why would he even mention it?

In any case, I remember mentioning in an older thread that I think it might be related to Kyon's development in personality. I'd be happy if it came up again in later novels. Otherwise, why would Tanigawa have Kyon mention it more than once?
Old 2011-08-11, 02:29   Link #429
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Although I feel like this discussion should probably go into a different thread, I'll answer your question with this: Kyon's mentioning of his cousin in various novels (I think two or three). In those few instances, he talks about how he had a cousin that he had a crush on that broke his heart. He also claims that he's over it, but if he was, why would he even mention it?

In any case, I remember mentioning in an older thread that I think it might be related to Kyon's development in personality. I'd be happy if it came up again in later novels. Otherwise, why would Tanigawa have Kyon mention it more than once?
I agree it's kinda off-topic. So thanks for your answer . I'll stop here.
Old 2011-08-12, 01:31   Link #430
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Just finished reading it today, stupid work stopped me from finishing it earlier >.>. All I can say is, sh*t literally hit the fan in the last chapter. I can't wait for the next book. Haruhi herself has changed sooo much, sucks about Yasumi though, she seemed to be an alright character. I have a feeling the next novel will be much like 3/5/6 and be a bunch of short stories though.

Side note, I think the author is really pushing the KyonXHaruhi thing now, the whole kyon kind of on top of her in bed and her not getting mad.

Also, i'm not spoilering this, but before Kyon ended up in Haruhi's room, was what he saw Haruhi+ Him at a future university/college?
Old 2011-08-12, 05:27   Link #431
VentAileron

I think it's safe to assume it is. It's certainly a few years in the future, but the question is of course 'where' and 'why'.

Just to quote what I think are the most important clues regarding this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Translation Page 98 Final Part
On the opposite side of the lawn, I saw a building that looked like a clock tower. Compared to North High, it was a ridiculously modern-looking school building. Also, the way the groups of students walked was more refined than that of high schoolers. Which college does this look like? The wind was warm. It's probably spring
Concerning the 'why' part, I've no idea why Haruhi would be dressed in 'kimono-like' clothing. Aren't you supposed to wear the uniform at the entrance ceremony?
Old 2011-08-12, 10:09   Link #432
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Quote:
Concerning the 'why' part, I've no idea why Haruhi would be dressed in 'kimono-like' clothing. Aren't you supposed to wear the uniform at the entrance ceremony?
I was a bit confused about this myself when I translated it. But the word "kimono" was certainly there. Unless it's part of some unusual non-dictionary word I don't know about, that's what it said

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Old 2011-08-12, 10:18   Link #433
GDB

If it were spring, couldn't she be dressed up for a Sakura Matsuri?
Old 2011-08-12, 22:23   Link #434
VentAileron

It certainly could be another event, but the problem with a lot of festivals is; you usually don't celebrate them on the school campus with your fellow students.
Old 2011-08-13, 09:14   Link #435
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
This is Haruhi we're talking about, she probably doesn't care and did it anyway.
Old 2011-08-13, 17:51   Link #436
mols

Quote:

Well, Kyon thought it was a college campus. You don't have uniforms in college... normally.
Old 2011-08-13, 21:36   Link #437
VentAileron

Oh yeah, good point. I wonder why I kept thinking that...

The question still stands though.
Old 2011-08-14, 03:30   Link #438
mols

yep, I hope we'll get hints in the next novel.
By the way, I read the novel rather quickly so maybe I missed some points:
- there is going to be a class reunion for Kyon and Sasaki, right? when exactly, in April or May?
- Do we have any hints who confessed to Sasaki?
- I had the impression Sasaki liked Kyon more than just friends and took it as a hint that Kyon chose Haruhi over her when he did not give Sasaki the powers. Am I right to think that? I also felt that Kyon also realized this...
- Don't they have facebook, twitter, emails, etc? why such farewells like it was the 19th century and they were going to move to another continent? Something like "see you around, i ll mail you one of these days to hang out" would have been a better reply from Kyon, right?
Old 2011-08-14, 05:11   Link #439
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
there is going to be a class reunion for Kyon and Sasaki, right? when exactly, in April or May?
It isn't stated, but it's probably a short story in the future.
Quote:
Do we have any hints who confessed to Sasaki?
An old (unnamed) middle school classmate of hers and Kyon's.

Quote:
I had the impression Sasaki liked Kyon more than just friends and took it as a hint that Kyon chose Haruhi over her when he did not give Sasaki the powers. Am I right to think that? I also felt that Kyon also realized this...
Mmm in a way, I guess you could interpret things like that. I doubt your second bolded statement is true though. Sasaki mentioned numerous times that she isn't suited to be a God nor does she wants to be one. She entrusting Kyon to decide was because Kyon was the only one able to decide in the first place.

Quote:
Don't they have facebook, twitter, emails, etc? why such farewells like it was the 19th century and they were going to move to another continent? Something like "see you around, i ll mail you one of these days to hang out" would have been a better reply from Kyon, right?
Actually, it's implied that Kyon and Sasaki have had contact now and then. Their common knowledge of the class reunion is an example of that. Moreover, 'normal' people really don't use the systems you mentioned just to chat, they rather text or call each other.
Old 2011-08-14, 05:25   Link #440
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the books are styled as if it is the every 2000s, before 2006. At least in theory. (based on the writing of the first book + one year)

Tags
haruhi suzumiya, light novel, spoilers