AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 40 38.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 30.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.95%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-11, 20:39   Link #21
yankky5

Its a good ep. usually most flash backs(in other anime) are butchered and cut short. 10/10 for me in this ep.

But damn!! The way that defiant class ran it just traumatic!!
Old 2013-05-11, 20:57   Link #22
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Very, very interesting episode.

Spoiler for Some observatons and questions:

Endless "Why are you slimy?" Soul
Old 2013-05-11, 20:59   Link #23
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Now, will people finally stop saying that

Spoiler for lol:
Spoilers
Spoiler for Eren's decision
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That said, it's a great episode overall. I now understand why Mikasa is so devoted to Eren. And the full significance of the ED is now much clearer.

Spoilers
Spoiler for impressions of Ep6
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:02   Link #24
yankky5

@endlessoul you should be asking why the past and current erren still has the same voice
Old 2013-05-11, 21:04   Link #25
LeoXiao
思想工作

Those bastards killed the last full-blooded Asian person in existence, apparently.

I wish that Mikasa would've just killed the ass blocking the gate outright; it would've made sense considering the situation and be easy to cover up as another nameless victim of the Titans.

Also, I'm slightly more convinced now that Eren is dead forever, but overall I still think it's unlikely since he's featured so strongly in the OP and ED and has had the most character development/focus so far. Killing off the MC is just one of those rules that you don't break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
@endlessoul you should be asking why the past and current erren still has the same voice
Clearly it's because his balls dropped prematurely.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:05   Link #26
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Its a good ep. usually most flash backs(in other anime) are butchered and cut short. 10/10 for me in this ep.

But damn!! The way that defiant class ran it just traumatic!!
Images
and people say there is no moe in this show
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:17   Link #27
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for Eren's decision
Spoiler:
Old 2013-05-11, 21:20   Link #28
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for Eren's role
I understand the underlying plot point. What I find disturbing are the viewers who gloat about it, relishing it in ways a 10-year-old misanthrope would when he burns a kitten or kicks a puppy.

Violence is the last thing in the world we should ever celebrate. It may be necessary at times, but it's always a necessary evil at best.
Old 2013-05-11, 21:22   Link #29
zRichard

Quote:
Eren's decision
Wait what?

Spoiler for EP6 and Violence:
Old 2013-05-11, 21:32   Link #30
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
but overall I still think it's unlikely since he's featured so strongly in the OP and ED and has had the most character development/focus so far. Killing off the MC is just one of those rules that you don't break.

Nothing wrong with that, plenty of other great shows/mangas have done that before to great success! It's a breath of fresh air tbh.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:32   Link #31
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Good episode, I'm glad that they chose a slow pacing, but there were many little things that I couldn't help noticing and being sad about.

The art is beautiful as it's usually the case with I.G. but the time constraints and the lack of personnel can really be seen in the amount of still images that we get. It's a real pity because this anime deserves more.

I also found that the OST wasn't really fitting for this particularly dramatic and emotional episode. They've got a lot of good tracks for the epic and action scenes but the rest is really forgettable.

Also the censorship is seriously starting to bug me. Are they trying to make this viewable by little children, I wonder? I don't get it. No matter how you water it down, this story isn't something I would suggest to a little kid. So why are they going to such extremes to censor gruesome wounds?

Spoiler for manga comparison:

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:33   Link #32
takai
Easy Muffin

Flashback episode. Called it. They always pull this when something big happens.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:43   Link #33
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
Wait what?

Spoiler for EP6 and Violence:
It's not the violence, but some viewers' reactions to the violence that disturbs me.

The idea that Eren is somehow more heroic and better than "generic shounen heroes" because of this childhood tragedy boggles me. There's nothing heroic at all about being stupidly reckless. To me, this episode only serves to cement my view of Eren as an annoying brat who doesn't know his place.
Old 2013-05-11, 21:49   Link #34
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Nothing wrong with that, plenty of other great shows/mangas have done that before to great success! It's a breath of fresh air tbh.
Yeah, not saying it's bad, but it is inevitably going to be poorly-received. Killing the MC at the end of a show, sure, or after he/she's done something significant, but just as the action begins to pick up? This is the first example I've seen of that in an anime.

Quote:
The idea that Eren is somehow more heroic and better than "generic shounen heroes" because of this childhood tragedy boggles me. There's nothing heroic at all about being stupidly reckless. To me, this episode only serves to cement my view of Eren as an annoying brat who doesn't know his place.
I think that Dr. Jaeger has it spot on: Eren just got lucky that time. When he decided to attack the Titans head-on his luck ran out.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 21:56   Link #35
zRichard

Quote:
It's not the violence, but some viewers' reactions to the violence that disturbs me. The idea that Eren is somehow more heroic and better than "generic shounen heroes" because of this childhood tragedy boggles me. There's nothing heroic at all about being stupidly reckless.
But that's exactly what the anime showed its viewers. TWICE .

1) EP 5, Eren's recklessness saved Armin and killed him (and it's up for debate that he also got his squad killed)

2) EP 6, Eren's recklessness saved Miakasa and almost killed him.
Old 2013-05-11, 22:08   Link #36
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Since when saving others while getting yourself killed in the process isn't heroic?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 22:20   Link #37
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's very clear that my worldview differs greatly from that of some people here.

Quote:
But that's exactly what the anime showed its viewers.
1) EP 5, Eren's recklessness saved Armin and killed him (and it's up for debate that he also got his squad killed)
No. To me, Eren saved Armin through an act of sheer willpower. He had lost a leg and was bleeding out. Yet, he managed to summon enough strength to save his friend. That is commendable. Getting his squad killed by acting before thinking, that was reckless. Not at all commendable.

Quote:
2) EP 6, Eren's recklessness saved Miakasa and almost killed him.
Spoilers
Spoiler for response to Eren's decision in Ep6

To be fair, the anime doesn't portray it as something good. But viewers being viewers, they'd gloss it over in favour of the GAR-ness of it all, while forgetting that we're talking about nine-year-olds here. Is their loss of innocence really something to be happy about?
Old 2013-05-11, 22:25   Link #38
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
I understand the underlying plot point. What I find disturbing are the viewers who gloat about it, relishing it in ways a 10-year-old misanthrope would when he burns a kitten or kicks a puppy.

Violence is the last thing in the world we should ever celebrate. It may be necessary at times, but it's always a necessary evil at best.
I think people are praising him his ability to do what he says rather just preaching about like unlike most shounen protags. You can see this in how he saves and cares for his friends like Armin or how he joined Military and became part of the top 10.

Quote:
It's not the violence, but some viewers' reactions to the violence that disturbs me.

Being heroic and being foolhardly are not mutually exclusive though. In fact heroism often stems from that sort of thing. Heroes usual tend to defly common sense and do things other people can't or won't by betting their lives on the line. It's certainly crazy thing he did, but I'm not going condemned Eren for it because his intentions were good and his rage and disgust at those men understandable. He succeed at what set out to do and helped Mikasa avenge her parents for her sake.

I also get now why his father allowed him to join the Recon Corps without any protest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post

Also, unlike the older Eren, young Eren didn't simply charge into the place. He was quite calculated. First, he pretended to be lost to survey the surrounding, and got a clean kill when the adult bent down so that Eren can reach his vitals. Then he backed off, closing the door, so that the pursuer has no view of his position. Then he used a knife attached to a broom to surprise his opponent and reach his heart. Eren miscalculated because he didn't see the third man. So unlike the older Eren that ran after the Titans, he was quite smart in his approach.
Yeah, most of what he did was planned, luck only came in when he missed the 3rd attacker, but his actions and words is what gave Mikasa the courage to fight.
Old 2013-05-11, 22:29   Link #39
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
It's very clear that my worldview differs greatly from that of some people here.

No. To me, Eren saved Armin through an act of sheer willpower. He had lost a leg and was bleeding out. Yet, he managed to summon enough strength to save his friend. That is commendable. Getting his squad killed by acting before thinking, that was reckless. Not at all commendable.

The only thing that can be said is that Eren got extremely lucky, thanks in no small part to plot armour. It was recklessness on his part and, thankfully, it turned out well. Having found the cabin, there was no immediate necessity for him to play vigilante. He could have instead tried to keep watch until his father and the police arrived. Instead, he charged in believing himself to be some kind of super-powered hero who could take on grown men and win. I don't see that as something praiseworthy. It's the epitome of foolhardiness, not heroism.

And, to be fair, neither does the anime portray it as such. But viewers being viewers, they'd gloss it over in favour of the GAR-ness of it all, while forgetting that we're talking about nine-year-olds here. Is their loss of innocence really something to be happy about?
Deviation from the generic shounen trope does not make him heroic, it makes him unique. Why do people like the Joker when he's a psychopathic killer? People are celebrating his characterization, not him being a role model.

Also, unlike the older Eren, young Eren didn't simply charge into the place. He was quite calculated. First, he pretended to be lost to survey the surrounding, and got a clean kill when the adult bent down so that Eren can reach his vitals. Then he backed off, closing the door, so that the pursuer has no view of his position. Then he used a knife attached to a broom to surprise his opponent and reach his heart. Eren miscalculated because he didn't see the third man. So unlike the older Eren that ran after the Titans, he was quite smart in his approach.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 22:29   Link #40
p-kun

Quote:
To be fair, the anime doesn't portray it as something good. But viewers being viewers, they'd gloss it over in favour of the GAR-ness of it all, while forgetting that we're talking about nine-year-olds here. Is their loss of innocence really something to be happy about?
The anime portray it as something creepy. Shouldn't that be good enough? You don't need to whine because you cannot get all viewers to see it your way.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote