Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-03-02, 06:21   Link #1
Kyuu
=^^=

The Tokyo Sky Tree

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Sky_Tree

Leave it to Japan to be able to finish the structure on a Leap Year Day. Skyscrapers. Yea, I'm somewhat of a fan of these things, especially with the boom of skyscraper construction across East Asia. Upon completion, this sucker is the second tallest structure in the world. Of all places, earthquake prone Tokyo. So, imagine being up that thing during an earthquake; yet, I wouldn't expect it to fall. Japanese engineering, after all.

So, if anyone has the chance to go up there, do it. And looking at this picture, which shows its height relative to everything else around it -- well -- it has to be one heck of an unobstructed view up there.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 09:13   Link #2
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I've always viewed skyscrapers as tangible proof of the audacity, arrogance, and wonder of humanity's mastery over nature. They're awesome.

Endless "Audacious" Soul
Old 2012-03-02, 09:16   Link #3
GDB

Oh neat, public opening on May 22. I'll be on vacation there starting on the 24th. One more place to visit.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 09:24   Link #4
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

The Japanese can think of this as their Freedom Tower in the wake of the earthquake; not just a landmark for the tourists but a symbol of their recovery.

I especially like how the building's shape starts off as a triangle at the bottom and gradually morphs into a circle.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 10:15   Link #5
Xagzan

I'm just waiting for them to do this, this, or, sweet hell, this.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 12:13   Link #6
Sumeragi
Banned

One more reason to hate Tokyo.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 12:52   Link #7
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

If any massive skyscraper project is going to be realized, you can bet it'll be in Dubai.

Of course, this one in Saudi Arabia has already been approved, so...
Old 2012-03-02, 13:11   Link #8
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
One more reason to hate Tokyo.
Not a fan of skyscrapers, Sumeragi-san?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
If any massive skyscraper project is going to be realized, you can bet it'll be in Dubai.

Of course, this one in Saudi Arabia has already been approved, so...
Oh I know something like the X-Seed is simply not going to happen for the foreseeable future. Of course, I'm torn over whether I'd ever want to see it built. But I hadn't heard about that Kingdom Tower, thanks for the link. It says construction was not planned to start any later than last December, but it doesn't say if they actually held to that plan...
Old 2012-03-02, 13:37   Link #9
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Not a fan of skyscrapers, Sumeragi-san?
More like I don't like such towers which are mostly tall for the sake of being tall.
Old 2012-03-02, 13:45   Link #10
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
So, imagine being up that thing during an earthquake; yet, I wouldn't expect it to fall. Japanese engineering, after all.
It did went through five minutes of 3/11 with only a few buckets of paint knocked off.
Old 2012-03-02, 13:55   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So it is there to replace the functions of the old Tokyo Tower (which is too short to broadcast over the surrounding skyscrappers). Fair enough.

It is not a fuctional habitate structure like those mega-structures being planned.
Old 2012-03-02, 14:19   Link #12
Xagzan

Quote:
More like I don't like such towers which are mostly tall for the sake of being tall.
I hear you. That's why I usually feel conflicted about such huge structures as well. But, if this one does serve that function Ithekro mentioned, I suppose it's more understandable.
Old 2012-03-02, 14:51   Link #13
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So it is there to replace the functions of the old Tokyo Tower (which is too short to broadcast over the surrounding skyscrappers). Fair enough.
I've never been a fan of such broadcasting towers unless they're on a scenic place relatively away from the city proper (like the N Seoul Tower or Port Tower in Amagami). Believe me, I HATE Kyoto Tower, and only tolerate it because it has a traditionalist shape of a candle and the building complex at its base. I'm a fan of using buildings to install transmitters, like what was done at Sears Tower (currently Willis Tower, but it'll always be Sears in my heart).
Old 2012-03-02, 15:24   Link #14
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Around here we have a conveniant mountain for such transmitters.
Old 2012-03-02, 15:54   Link #15
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Around here we have a conveniant mountain for such transmitters.
Mt. Wilson? Or are you farther north?
Old 2012-03-02, 16:14   Link #16
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Farther north. Mt. Diablo. Though they don't use it as much for that.
Old 2012-03-02, 16:23   Link #17
Kyuu
=^^=

I've been aware of the first two. And man, they're mega projects. But this X-Seed idea... oh lordy...

All three ideas fall under SimCity2000... with those Acropolis buildings. And come to think of it: if mankind can actually port these kinds of structural ideas (particularly the Shimizu Pyramid) towards outer space structures -- then space cities would be very very possible.

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-03-02 at 16:52.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 16:33   Link #18
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
I've never been a fan of such broadcasting towers unless they're on a scenic place relatively away from the city proper (like the N Seoul Tower or Port Tower in Amagami). Believe me, I HATE Kyoto Tower, and only tolerate it because it has a traditionalist shape of a candle and the building complex at its base. I'm a fan of using buildings to install transmitters, like what was done at Sears Tower (currently Willis Tower, but it'll always be Sears in my heart).
Considering that Tokyo Tower was already the tallest building in Tokyo and still wasn't tall enough, I don't think they had a choice but to build a taller tower to broadcast from.

btw, Sears Tower FTW. Though the transparent balconies are pretty cool imho.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 17:01   Link #19
Xagzan

Quote:
THANK YOU. Sears Tower is its real name, far as I'm concerned. "Willis Tower" just sounds so wrong, and as a name it holds no meaning for me anyway. It wasn't the "Willis" Tower I visited and had a blast ascending when I was little.

And I do believe that even when 1 WTC is completed, Sears Tower will still be the tallest building in the US if you just look at roof height and exclude the antennae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I've been aware of the first two. And man, they're mega projects. But this X-Seed idea... oh lordy...
Haha, yes, I saw the idea for the X-Seed a couple of years ago and was just floored that something like that was even envisioned. Of course, it looks terrifying, like a futuristic Mt. Doom.

Quote:
All three ideas fall under SimCity2000... with those Acropolis buildings. And come to think of it: if mankind can actually port these kinds of structural ideas (particularly the Shimizu Pyramid) towards outer space structures -- then space cities would be very very possible.
Well Shimizu is technically an arcology, and as such would have a shorter pinnacle height than Sky City, but right now the latter is the one that they could feasibly hope to accomplish. On Earth, that is. I think we actually have to start putting more effort into basic space exploration itself before we can put cities up there
Old 2012-03-02, 17:15   Link #20
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looking at it...The Tokyo Sky Tree, I mean...Looks like a prototype for an anti-alien weapon. A giant laser cannon to fend off the invaders. Or a Macross Cannon - Wave Motion Gun type thing.