AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-10-06, 22:07   Link #541
Kmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I'll get pictures up when I can, I made it last christmas, but my fiance is going to take the reins this time. We got cooking instructions directly from the butcher last time, no basting or brine required!

As for sides.. we'll probably do just basics, stuffing with the turkey, mashed potatoes .. I'm pondering doing a mac & cheese though..

Who's doing dessert? I suggest sweet potato pie, pretty easy.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 00:14   Link #542
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Making chili for football sunday.

1 pound each of ground beef and pork; not the super lean kind-you want fat, browned in a frying pan with most traces of pinkness gone

1 onion, largely diced

4 jalapenos, sliced

1 clump of cilantro, chopped

3 16 ounce cans of mexican chili beans

1 16 ounce can of italian tomatoes, diced

1 6 ounce can of tomato paste

1 16 ounce can of plain tomato sauce

1 12 ounce bottle of whatever beer you happen to have in the fridge (lager preferred)

2 Tablespoons Corn Starch mixed with some cold water

1/2 cup Chili Powder; make sure it's not the crappy stuff that comes pre-mixed with salt

6 cloves of garlic, diced, lightly browned in some olive oil

ground red pepper dependent on your spiciness comfort level

sour cream

shredded cheese

In large pot, pour fat from browning the ground pork/beef. Cook onion, jalepeno, 'till onion gets soft.

Add the ground beef/pork, chili beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, corn meal mixture, beer, chili powder, garlic, ground red pepper.

Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to the lowest setting on your stove top. Put lid on pot. Let sit for a few hours. At least two, preferably more. Stir occasionally.

Take off heat and enjoy. Sprinkle cilantro and/or cheese as taste prefers. Mix in some sour cream as taste prefers. If you want to get really trashy, substitute a little bit of mayo for the sour cream.

I usually don't add salt, but that's up to you. I usually eat over a little bit of white rice.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 10:44   Link #543
willx
Nyaaan~~

So! Today Tomorrow is turkey day here in Canada! TURKEY DAY! Whee! (everything is more fun with "Whee" in front of it, well, except for "Whee! Pension Rollbacks!")

But we're celebrating today .. Momentarily I'm going to head off to pick up my fresh, never-been-frozen, organic turkey from the butchers! Apparently we're also going to do a small platter for grapes, crackers and some cheese (I think .. English Charnwood Smoked Cheddar and French Brie). Pictures will be up as soon as possible! It's our second time doing this kind of turkey, so fingers crossed that the main course turns out well ..

I'm also doing a simple stuffing recipe and we're going to do stovetop gravy this time. Last time we did a made from scratch gravy that took us hours and hours to prep the night before.. and it was just a lot of work for some gravy that tasted just a tiny bit different.

As for accompaniments, not going to do the mac & cheese, as our guests have generously volunteered (we told them to) bring side dishes .. and I've specifically gotten people to coordinate so we don't double it -- I'm going to fill my not-so-big apartment up with 12-14 people.. Whee!

Last edited by willx; 2012-10-07 at 11:23. Reason: For correctness =p
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 11:19   Link #544
Sumeragi
Banned

Technically it's tomorrow, willx.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 11:24   Link #545
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Technically it's tomorrow, willx.
By technically .. I assume you mean actually .. And you, would be, correct.

EDIT: FOR TURKEY!!!!

Turkey pictures! Here's a before and after picture! It was so moist and juicy.. mm.. We also crushed fresh rosemary and made our own herb butter, which we then stuck underneath the skin over the breasts to help it stay moist!

We also set out a cheese plate with French brie, English charnwood smoked cheddar, crackers, grapes and (our friends brought) Vermont maple syrup candied peacans .. we also found a spicy raspberry jam that was oh-so-delicious!

(We had a lot more food, including stuffing I made from scratch and some handmade tiramasu cups from one of our guests but we got too preoccupied cooking and entertaining and forgot to take pictures.. Trying to see if our guests took any more pictures)

Tiramus cups!

Last edited by willx; 2012-10-09 at 10:41. Reason: For turkey!
Old 2012-10-08, 21:30   Link #546
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
We also crushed fresh rosemary and made our own herb butter, which we then stuck underneath the skin over the breasts to help it stay moist!
So...you gave the turkey breast implants? O.o

Spoiler for :p:
Old 2012-10-09, 10:42   Link #547
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
So...you gave the turkey breast implants? O.o

Spoiler for :p:
Exactly right! Although my fiance made a break for it after the turkey went into the oven.. Me and a couple of my more helpful guests carried the rest of the evening.. The moistest most delicious turkey I've ever had in my life! I'm so glad we decided to cook it ourselves vs. having someone do the cooking for us!
Old 2012-10-10, 16:40   Link #548
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I had an all natural, never frozen, farm raised turkey a couple or few years ago. It was more tender and moist than the other roast turkeys I had, which were frozen and from supermarkets. The farm raised turkey came from a farm in my area.
Old 2012-10-14, 19:05   Link #549
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I had an all natural, never frozen, farm raised turkey a couple or few years ago. It was more tender and moist than the other roast turkeys I had, which were frozen and from supermarkets. The farm raised turkey came from a farm in my area.
That's almost exactly what we had, and it was amazing..! So tender.

So here's round #2 of willx cooks! -- so this time I'm doing a butterflied whole chicken from the butcher! Marinated it with herbs and lemon and then pan seared it before finishing it in the oven! Tossed linguine in the oil in the pan with some tarragon and black pepper!

Old 2012-10-14, 20:39   Link #550
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Simple, but looks pretty good. Bone-in chicken can be pretty good. The meat can be pretty flavorful and moist for chicken meat.
Old 2012-10-20, 11:45   Link #551
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Yep. It was relatively moist, though not as much as I'd hoped. I'm still not that great at the "cooking" but I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more though.. Especially..

If we're snacking cheese, crackers, prosciutto and spicy raspberry preserves and having wine right before hand! .. Ultimately we just ended up cooking some thinly sliced pork loin served with rice and canned corn..
Old 2012-10-28, 13:02   Link #552
willx
Nyaaan~~

So this thread is getting a tad lonely.. I did the one recipe I do well again:

Scallops on wilted watercress with panchetta! This time I tried to be all fancy like and work my plating after being inspired by iron chef!

I also cooked congee for the first time recently, because my fiance is sick.. It turned out OK .. but I am definitely quite far from being a "chef"..
Old 2012-11-03, 01:04   Link #553
Kmos

Jjajang myeon attempt. Overloaded on ingredients and my recipe will need tweaking next time.

Old 2012-11-03, 17:05   Link #554
willx
Nyaaan~~

That looks so meaty!! ;D~~~

Definitely drooling! Looking at this on my phone, so a bit blurry, but do I see some yummy yummy tendon meat?
Old 2012-11-04, 03:03   Link #555
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

My first atempt at french toast
Old 2012-11-04, 12:43   Link #556
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh, French toast! I'm so hungry right now I could dig right in.. They look nice and moist!
Old 2012-11-04, 13:45   Link #557
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

^well they did taste pretty good
Old 2012-11-04, 15:25   Link #558
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Did you eat them with pancake syrup?

I love pancake syrup.
Old 2012-11-04, 22:11   Link #559
Kmos

Quote:
That looks so meaty!! ;D~~~

Definitely drooling! Looking at this on my phone, so a bit blurry, but do I see some yummy yummy tendon meat?
There's pork shoulder meat, zucchini, carrot, potato. It might've been tendon meat there, I bought it and carved it apart for grinding and used various pieces for noodles. All a blur cause I got called in to work on a Sat. and I was in middle of prepping a bunch of things. Things haven't calmed down til yesterday for me.

Oh yea, I made a ton of dumplings today, about 80, with the ground pork. Froze about 3/4 of it. I pleated about 10 of them then said screw it, took too long, and just sealed them without pleats. Maybe next time when I buy the wrappers I'll pleat them all, I had to make from scratch this time and it was time consuming.
Old 2012-11-19, 19:53   Link #560
willx
Nyaaan~~

So here's a few more pictures of some of my recent breakfast cooking attempts!

My fiance and I randomly went out one night at midnight to do grocery shopping and bought some flank steak for the next morning:

This is me being too lazy to go out for brunch, so I dug in the fridge and found that I had eggs, italian deli meat and some italian creamy fontina cheese.. so grilled cheeses with proscuitto / panchetta and fried egg:

Outlook is positive