AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-05, 10:33   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Les Miserables (2012), with Anne Hathaway as Fantine

No, not Les Miserables: Shoujo Cossette, but the latest movie adaptation of the multi-award winning musical by Cameron Mackintosh. The film
is due out on Dec 14, just ahead of Christmas, and stars a powerful cast, with Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean,
Russell Crowe as Javert and Amanda Seyfried as Cossette.

Best of all, Anne Hathaway as Eponine, arguably the most tragic character in the musical, at least for me. With Anne
in the role, something tells me that this Eponine may yet be one of the most tear-worthy in memory.

And yes, I know what you're thinking: Can they actually sing? I have my doubts too, but then, they can act.

I'll leave you with this review of the official trailer from The Guardian.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-06-06 at 10:00.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 10:55   Link #2
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I actually went for the audition held in University of Kent in Canterbury for the role of extras, but was turned down because apparently, the French people were not aware of the existence of Chinese people in that era. Sad really, I was practising for the role of nun.

Anyway, I am impressed with the list of distinguished actors and actresses. Big names. While waiting for this film to be released, I will be heading down to London's West End in July to watch the musical version of Les Miserables.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 11:39   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Les Mis is one of my favorite stage musicals, and Hooper is clearly a quality director. The trailer looks great, but it's clear that Hathaway is going to have to be "fixed" by a team of experts working 24/7 in the studio to make her acceptable as a singer. Jackman will have no such issues.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 09:59   Link #4
james0246

First of all, Anne Hathaway doesn't play Eponine, she plays Fantine (I changed the title accordingly, but I left the OP to your discretion), Cosette's mother. Newcomer Samantha Barks plays Eponine; she got the role after playing the character on stage for a recent West End revival. (I'm still a little peeved Lea Michele didn't get the part of Eponine, if only because I know she can sing the hell out of "On My Own".)

In many respects, this is the film I am most excited about for the Christmas season. With a high-grade/pedigree cast (a great many of the actors have appeared in Broadway plays and musicals in the past, though I wonder if Amanda Seyfried and Russell Crowe haven't been miscast)), a very good director with a lot to prove (who was also given seemingly complete creative control), and a screenwriter who has done many period pieces before. Added to that, all of the musical numbers are performed live on-set, rather than being lip-synced to pre-recorded studio sessions.

This movie looks like it could be a truly great experience.

p.s. Anne Hathaway is a natural soprano who has had multiple singing roles in the past. The voice you hear in the trailer is her natural voice. She does not need to be "fixed". All of the main cast are singers with previous musical accomplishments (even Seyfried, who I am most skeptical of, trained to be on Broadway)

p.p.s. I actually saw the original Broadway production of Les Mis at the Broadway Theatre in Manhattan back in 1987.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-06-06 at 10:18.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 11:03   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm sure that's her natural voice - that's the problem. There's a reason that trailer has caused massive discussion among fans - her singing is borderline awful in it.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 11:00   Link #6
james0246

Since we're getting closer to Christmas (which is now the official release date), I thought I'd update the thread with the new international trailer (which lays out the entire film it seems). We hear a little bit of signing from all the main characters and see many of the major set-pieces.

james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 11:25   Link #7
willx
Nyaaan~~

I am SO looking forward to this! Also, I'm a HUGE Anne Hathaway fan, a massive one.. I crush on her big time. Loved her in "Devil Wears Prada" and think she's a talented actress..

BUT, personally, she and Russel are the ones I'm worried most about. Anne gives me a massive throwback feeling to Audrey Hepburn and I respect Russel's body of work, but I'm not sure they're ready for Les Mis.

Conversely, I'm actually not particularly concerned about Amanda Seyfried, she's not nearly as accomplished .. but having seen her in Mamma Mia (not a fan of Abba, nor of the movie) and presuming that she's grown since then, I think she'll do well as Cosette.

Outlook uncertain, but optimistic
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 13:29   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm sure that's her natural voice - that's the problem. There's a reason that trailer has caused massive discussion among fans - her singing is borderline awful in it.
Interesting,she sounded better to me than 90% of the popstars out there to me (some would say that's not saying much I guess)

And the fact it's recorded live on set rather than in the studio is definatly something that I find appealing.
Old 2012-11-15, 14:39   Link #9
Xion Valkyrie

Looks like the perfect date movie.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 18:47   Link #10
Kirarakim

Love the music in the stage play but I honestly feel the best adaption of Les Miserables will always be the 1930's French film directed by Raymond Bernard.

It's absolutely amazing and anyone who is a fan of Les Mis owes themselves to watch it. In France in the 1930's its release is somewhat equivalent of what how LOTR was released here. It was released in parts and it was a big hit at the time.
Old 2012-12-29, 03:21   Link #11
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Just saw this today and all I can say is; Holy shit it was good.

I saw the stage production years ago and maybe it was just the difference that time gives you for perspective but yeah, wow. I've never seen a proper standing ovation in a cinema before and I doubt there was a dry eye in the house at the end which was as beautiful as it was sad - I'll admit to getting something caught in my eye for about half an hour afterwards, while explaining the movie to my mother (who didn't go). If this doesn't walk away with a truckload of Oscars and whatnot I will be utterly surprised and thoroughly disappointed.

Be warned its entirely a musical with maybe half a dozen lines total not done in song - which follows the same haunting structure throughout the entire film. That's baring the offbeat 'Master of the House' song which was hilarious along with that whole scene. I really enjoyed all the songs. It was only the ones sung in large groups that I had trouble deciphering, but that could be the cinema speakers but I've always had trouble with lyrics in songs that aren't solos.

Also I couldn't not see Madame Thénardier as Belatrix Lestrange though... its the hair. I really felt for Éponine as well, girl had rotten luck. Young Cosette was just huggable innocence surrounded by filth, older Cosette although while still innocent seemed a wee bit entitled. Javert always fanatical of the law, I thought the songs were he sung on the edge of buildings was brilliant as a metaphor. Fantine was... sad, Anne Hathaway really did well at it. And Jackman nailed Jean Valjean to a post, the singing and the emotion inducement. The set pieces were great they really captured the squalor that people had to live with back then, and the differences between the classes in society. The character design and presentation was highly detailed to, the grime, sores and everything.

I HIGHLY recommend people go see it, 'younger' folks may not quite get it, but those with a liking for classics will definitely be utterly pleased with this.

ps. Bring a lot of tissues, you'll need them if you have even the slightest slither of a soul and know what is going on and the context of it all, and so will the people next to you..

***** <- five stars.

Now I have to see how the Hobbit compares tomorrow... sadly I think this will trump it for impact and emotion.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2012-12-29 at 03:52.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 04:46   Link #12
Samari
World's Greatest

The film was good and the performances were nice. However, it definitely seems to me that the film suffers a little bit from something that was intended for an onstage musical rather than a film adaption. We're never in a scene too long it seems and the transition between a good amount of scenes seems really quick...especially when a character goes from point A to point B. All in all though it was very enjoyable. I'm a Hugh Jackman fan and he didn't let down.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 11:02   Link #13
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Saw this the other day and man was it fantastic, one of the best musical films I've ever seen.

Hugh Jackman did pretty darn good and Crowe surprised me with how good he actually was (although I think he was a bit too monotone at times) and did a great job on one my favorite songs. But Anne Hathaway stole the show early on with her songs, especially with "I Dreamed A Dream". She freaking nailed it in such a raw way. The song "on My Own" was another stand out, but really there probably wasn't a single song I didn't think wasn't done well.

It was very cool seeing such an epic musical with all these set pieces come to life on the big screen with high production values. A little over-the-top at times, but I actually liked it more for that. It was just nothing but emotion throughout. I also like the use of closeups to further plunge you into the moment of some of the more powerful songs, although the constant use of it was distracting at times.

Now I've always been a bigger fan of the novel by Victor Hugo than the musical itself and think that some of the psychology behind the characterizations in the book can be lsot in the dramatization of the musical, but overall as its really no large complaint for me since this movie is indeed based off the musical first and foremost. Although they did have plenty of little additions from the book that were not in the musical with small events involving Fauntine and such that I appreciated seeing as a fan of the novel.

Overall, breathtaking movie, one of my favorites of the year.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 15:10   Link #14
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

It was very, very good, though I've always had a thing for Anne Hatheway (it's so nice that she's branched out from doing children's shows over the last couple years) and Russel Crowe, so I could totally have blinders on. I really don't care about how technically good a singer in a musical is, so much as I care about how emotionally good they are at nailing a particular song/scene, and I think-especially for a movie vs a theater production-this movie nailed it about as near to perfect as we'll ever see.

I loved the 1998 adaption, and I'm not sure it's even fair to compare this with it, as they are two very different beasts. However, my biggest fear was that this would be a complete letdown compared to the 1998 adaption, and I'm happy to say that fear was completely wrong.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 18:09   Link #15
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I watched the anime and really liked it and the trailer was great, so I plan to watch it eventually. Maybe when it comes out on DVD. Costs too much to go to theaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I actually went for the audition held in University of Kent in Canterbury for the role of extras, but was turned down because apparently, the French people were not aware of the existence of Chinese people in that era.
lol

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 08:00   Link #16
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I only just watched it because of the Metro Manila Film Fest, and I went knowing some of the book and little of the musical.

First off, I assume that the constant use of focusing on the faces of the characters during important songs was intentional. In other films it would be distracting cinematography, but in a film that is supposed to convey the intense emotions of guilt, dread and despair after the chaos of the French Revolution it works wonders.

This is partially the reason why, despite being on film for probably just 30 minutes, I think Anne Hathaway was just stunning for her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" moments after her first... client. The despair on her face as she held on to the dream she dreamed spoke volumes in 5 minutes what many actors couldn't do in an entire film.

But really, for me it was Hugh Jackman who stole the show as the man who seeks redemption and proof that a man can change and not be tied down by vengeance and hatred. This might be the performance of his career.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 21:42   Link #17
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

I've never cried from a film ever prior to watching this. With that said, I cried three times with the end scene bringing all the water works. Im really glad I got to see it. 5/5
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:29   Link #18
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Watched with MeoTwister5 yesterday.

Everyone said they cried after watching the movie... I didn't... Not that I'm heartless. Lol. I just don't really cry in movies. But I do agree, Les Miserables was superb! Eponine's death was heart breaking, and of course the ending was very touching.

I wish I could watch the broadway now.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 05:54   Link #19
Kudryavka

I read book. Is this a musicsal?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote