AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2009-09-27, 23:05   Link #3001
Opace
~Lies evolves into Truth~

Send a message via MSN to Opace
I also agree that Athena is not a yandere as a whole. I just can't bring myself to like archetypes of Yanderes (although I love the drama they bring), and I like Athena a lot as a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
Spoiler for over 9000 hours on photoshop:
That is very well done. If you harden the lines around the mature Athena and a bit less sketchy, that could be a great and unique signature once you fix it up a bit more.
Opace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:15   Link #3002
Fandal

Athena needs more comedy scenes
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:58   Link #3003
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post
Athena needs more comedy scenes
Wouldn't that just kill all the serious buildup Hata have been doing for the past month or so? Plus, it's rather hard to place the current Athena into any comedy scenes.
Koroshiya_Kame_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 02:15   Link #3004
Opace

It would indeed totally kill most of the serious build-up. Though, I do still want to see her in a comedy scene once all of this is resolved and hopefully Athena is placed in a lighter mood.
Old 2009-09-28, 02:29   Link #3005
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Unfortunately, that scene will not occur before the stones crisis ended or at least not until Athena and Hayate's situation solved. Frankly speaking, I don't think any comedy will happen around Athena unless she is with Hayate on a good term. Not very many people (Miki, Izumi, etc.) have the courage or the self-esteem to approach Athena.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 05:59   Link #3006
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

New chapter is up!

Spoiler for and this episode is win!:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 07:12   Link #3007
IndoViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
New chapter is up!

Ah, i thought it was 242, turns out it was just the Sauna with Maria chap.
Old 2009-09-28, 07:28   Link #3008
Teleutao
Ninja-In-Training

It was a good chapter though, but I feel that Hayate is just plain abused at the Sanzen'in estate sometimes (the jail cell was a little much, but funny).

I'm not really sure why people think that the comedy wasn't a big part of HnG's appeal. I know that it has been awhile and that the recent chapters are all serious drama, but that doesn't reflect on the series as a whole. I feel confident that Hata will go back to a more comedic, lighthearted tone once the current arc is over.

As for the whole archetype debate...well the reason it becomes an archetype in the first place is because it becomes an essential part of story telling. It reminds me of a really good quotes from Terry Pratchett from his Discworld books "the reason that cliches become cliches is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication." We have these types of characters because they are easy to relate to, popular, and most importantly because everyone else uses them. It's really easy to get a feel for a character when you can associate them with other, similar characters. Still, Nagi and Hina aren't perfect examples of tsundere (because Nagi has a tendency to ignore Hayate some of the time, Hina just has that almost disturbing politeness that I mentioned). Athena may not be the exact archetype of a yandere, but any character that does some of the things she did must have some yandere tendencies somewhere (and I am curious as to just why she left the Royal Garden, possibly waiting for Hayate to return). Just because she let him go once due to anger doesn't mean she wasn't obsessed with him, I mean she did try to make him stay in the castle where she would have been the only other person he saw for the rest of his life.

As a last side-note, I actually was a fan of Athena and for a time couldn't decide who I liked more between Hina, Maria, and Athena. But as I was on this forum and really talked about the things Athena did and the implications of it she became really creepy and I stopped liking her like I used to. So it just goes to show you that any one of you A-tan fans (or anyone else's fans) can always have a change of heart later on.
Teleutao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 07:30   Link #3009
WildArms
Come on, become a legend

There are too many good girls, so sadly i can only think (in terms that the manga keeps its popularity) they will make the owner make an open ending where everything is left to our imagination... i hope it doesnt end like that, but it already happened in lots of romance anime before -.-', well lets just hope for the best, i hope hayate ends with either maria or hinagiku :O, i would feel bad for nagi thou, but i cant seem to fit an ending of hayate with nagi.

Oh and this girl athena, all i know is hayate's ex from like kindergaten or something like that lol, have she appeared more in the manga?, like a little arc talking more about her, i just started to read it from the season 2 chapters, so if someone could thell me the number they talk about her it would really help me, thanks for the help!
WildArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 08:06   Link #3010
Koroshiya_Kame_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildArms View Post
Oh and this girl athena, all i know is hayate's ex from like kindergaten or something like that lol, have she appeared more in the manga?, like a little arc talking more about her, i just started to read it from the season 2 chapters, so if someone could thell me the number they talk about her it would really help me, thanks for the help!
Athena gets mentioned several times before her actual introduction. I think she was mentioned in one of the 80s chapter, 120s chapter and once during the Segawa arc (the 160s chapter). She first appeared (I think in full details) at the end of chapter 178. Official introduction during chapter 179. The End of the World arc ran between chapter 178 to chapter 187 and focused between her and Hayate's past. Her appearance afterwards were on-off. Her second main appearance was towards the end of chapter 232 and the current arc is apparently about Hayate and Athena's reunion after 10 years.
Koroshiya_Kame_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 09:05   Link #3011
Opace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleutao View Post
It was a good chapter though, but I feel that Hayate is just plain abused at the Sanzen'in estate sometimes (the jail cell was a little much, but funny).

I'm not really sure why people think that the comedy wasn't a big part of HnG's appeal. I know that it has been awhile and that the recent chapters are all serious drama, but that doesn't reflect on the series as a whole. I feel confident that Hata will go back to a more comedic, lighthearted tone once the current arc is over.

As for the whole archetype debate...well the reason it becomes an archetype in the first place is because it becomes an essential part of story telling. It reminds me of a really good quotes from Terry Pratchett from his Discworld books "the reason that cliches become cliches is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication." We have these types of characters because they are easy to relate to, popular, and most importantly because everyone else uses them. It's really easy to get a feel for a character when you can associate them with other, similar characters. Still, Nagi and Hina aren't perfect examples of tsundere (because Nagi has a tendency to ignore Hayate some of the time, Hina just has that almost disturbing politeness that I mentioned). Athena may not be the exact archetype of a yandere, but any character that does some of the things she did must have some yandere tendencies somewhere (and I am curious as to just why she left the Royal Garden, possibly waiting for Hayate to return). Just because she let him go once due to anger doesn't mean she wasn't obsessed with him, I mean she did try to make him stay in the castle where she would have been the only other person he saw for the rest of his life.

As a last side-note, I actually was a fan of Athena and for a time couldn't decide who I liked more between Hina, Maria, and Athena. But as I was on this forum and really talked about the things Athena did and the implications of it she became really creepy and I stopped liking her like I used to. So it just goes to show you that any one of you A-tan fans (or anyone else's fans) can always have a change of heart later on.
There really isn't any "perfect" role-models of archetypes such as Tsundere or Yandere, though they can get frightenly close. The most "Tsundere" archetype girl I've met is probably Louise from Zero no Tsukaima. Everything about her screams tsundere of the highest and mightiest level (not to mention they even pulled in Kugimiya Rie to voice her for the anime).

As for changes of the heart, it does happen I guess. I doubt I'll ever stop having Hinagiku/Nagi/Athena as my favourite characters, the only possibility of kicking them out is by having other heroines push for that spot. Still, don't let other people's opinions suade you from what you like or whatnot. You could acknowledge they do have a point, but not let it be the ultimate factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroshiya_Kame_13 View Post
Athena gets mentioned several times before her actual introduction. I think she was mentioned in one of the 80s chapter, 120s chapter and once during the Segawa arc (the 160s chapter). She first appeared (I think in full details) at the end of chapter 178. Official introduction during chapter 179. The End of the World arc ran between chapter 178 to chapter 187 and focused between her and Hayate's past. Her appearance afterwards were on-off. Her second main appearance was towards the end of chapter 232 and the current arc is apparently about Hayate and Athena's reunion after 10 years.
She gets mentioned in Chapter 88, 144, 172, tEotW arc (178-188), 196, 233, 234 and finally 239 to current.
Old 2009-09-28, 09:33   Link #3012
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
New chapter is up!

New chapter? Huh?

Edit~

Oh, 154! Quite a predicament they got in. What are you doing Hayata!? Take better advantage of the situation next time! Especially when she passed out!

Fun chappy, and Nagi looks like an old lady at 13. Heheh...

Game8910: Rena takes dibs on loli A-tan!
Spoiler for <3:

Edit2 instead of new post~

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
And here we come to a crossroads due to definitions. If you ask me, a yandere is a yandere if they still love/cherish a person, despite wishing to inflict bodily harm on the one they love (seems Athena still has feelings for Hayate after all these years). And after the fight, she was crying over the fact that he just left her.
Take Yuno from Mirai Nikki for the perfect yandere example. She would love you to death, and still continue loving your corpse. IT'S PERFECT!!

Last edited by Rah; 2009-09-28 at 09:54.
Rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 09:50   Link #3013
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
She had her reasons for being angry logically (harsh, but not to the extent of wanting him dead) unlike a typical yandere whom reason is only because of great obsession.
And here we come to a crossroads due to definitions. If you ask me, a yandere is a yandere if they still love/cherish a person, despite wishing to inflict bodily harm on the one they love (seems Athena still has feelings for Hayate after all these years). And after the fight, she was crying over the fact that he just left her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
She was certainly angry, and she did go overboard, but that doesn't turn her into a yandere. To begin with, a yandere never let go of their love interest. They are obsessive. Athena and Hayate parted ways for about 10 years. That would never have happened had Athena been a yandere.
There's a lack of evidence to say that she actually did "let go" of Hayate. Although, I will say that to me it seems like Hayate and Athena are similar in their feelings with each other in that they both have always had lingering thoughts about each other (I'm sure that if Hata knew that this series would still be alive and well this late into the game, he would've mentioned Athena more), so I can't agree with the thought that Athena ever let go of Hayate. Primarily because we also don't know what exactly she was doing for the 10 or so years that had passed since this story started. So she may have been too bogged down by her curse or w/e to try and find Hayate.
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 10:00   Link #3014
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

To be honest labelling Athena as a yandere or a tsundure is very shallow, she basically acts like any girl that's in love. For that it's neither yandere or tsundere but an average formation and breaking of an relationship and the consequences on their respective personalities.

Yanderes and tsunderes are names given to the extreme forms of obsessive love present only in anime characters or psychopaths (sadly enough lol) To me Hata never presented Athena as any of those extremes. Her relationship with Hayate and their subsequent break up was very normal.
Old 2009-09-28, 10:16   Link #3015
Rah

For those who care, Saimoe is up for voting again.

VoTe:

H

I

N

A

Hinagiku!!

Hai Hai!!

Last edited by Rah; 2009-09-28 at 10:27. Reason: Hai Hai Lol
Old 2009-09-28, 10:20   Link #3016
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
To be honest labelling Athena as a yandere or a tsundure is very shallow, she basically acts like any girl that's in love. For that it's neither yandere or tsundere but an average formation and breaking of an relationship and the consequences on their respective personalities.

Yanderes and tsunderes are names given to the extreme forms of obsessive love present only in anime characters or psychopaths (sadly enough lol) To me Hata never presented Athena as any of those extremes. Her relationship with Hayate and their subsequent break up was very normal.

Sssssssh.

Placing anime characters into archetypal categories is fun.
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 11:43   Link #3017
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah View Post
For those who care, Saimoe is up for voting again.

VoTe:

H

I

N

A

Hinagiku!!

Hai Hai!!
if ur talking about ISML....then Shana is my top girl
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 13:40   Link #3018
WildArms
Come on, become a legend

Spoiler for ...:

Thanks a lot for the info
Old 2009-09-28, 13:42   Link #3019
Rah

I don't get it. What's so great bout Shana? I find her really annoying.

Don't wanna start a fight here, I'm just curious about what her 'charms' are, if you mind telling me.. at least your opinion.

Anyway, it's Shana vs Horo & Hina vs Fate. You can still vote for Hina, and then go for Shana later, if they end up going against each other.
Old 2009-09-28, 13:43   Link #3020
WildArms
Come on, become a legend

maria skirt episode is the best chapter ever

Tags
comedy, shounen