AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-25, 08:30   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

The end of Midori no Hibi

Anyone read the last chapter of MnH manga yet? It just came out last week and interesting enough it ends very much like the anime did. Not the same, but reasonably closely. I think the ending was nic.e They could have at least streached it out into one more chapter as I felt they tied things up WAY to quickly in this chapter, but overall I was pleased with how it ended. Good manga and funny as he**.

For those of you who have read it, what did you think of the manga overall?
Old 2004-07-28, 03:21   Link #2
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Ending was anticlimactic. The relationship between Seiji and Midori became more and more unlikely the longer the manga went on, which completely ruined it for me (since Midori was totally wrong for him, yet had I not gotten to know her so well, I wouldn't have realized the fact). All in all, it lasted twice as long as it should have and I'm bitter about being forced to buy volumes 7 and 8 simply to scan them in.
Old 2004-07-28, 05:24   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

it's anticlimactic, yes, but it's expectedly anticlimactic... I think it's way too obvious that they will end up together anyway... unless the author wants this to be the end of his career
Old 2004-07-29, 01:07   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

unfortunately from the get-go MnH had to follow one of the basic laws of anime/manga:
the character with the most screen time is the one the main character will end up with. Therefore, even though there were "better" characters out there (Lucy and Ayase beat Midori hands down, in Love Hina Mutsumi was a better fit for Keitaro, Ranma had so many women WILLING to be with him that were more attractive than akane, yet ended up with her anyway, in Maburaho, Kazuki MUST end up with Yuna, even though the story begins to move towards the...other girl...it's too late in the series to do that)
about the only anime in existence that doesn't adhere to this law is Tenchi Muyo: across 6 different universes (OVA, TV1, TV2, 3 movies) it is never obvious which girl Tenchi will end up with. Though Happy Lesson ends up being sort of a Tenchi-clone in that sense

people will always root for the side characters, coming up with wacko convoluted proposed endings while a series is progressing (read some of the Konomini threads...) but when it ends, it's unfortunately usually very predictable. And the ones that aren't are either unsuccessful or, through progression of the story, had developed another character (if her NAME wasn't in the title i would have guessed Ayase could have "won" over Midori, hell i'd go out with her) to "take over" (I think Macross, if i'm remembering correctly, follows this line, in Macross 2 i was very surprised by the ending)
it also has to do with the process of writing, usually the author will map out the storyline ahead of time and will generally know the direction the story will take from the get go. Most writers in shounen romance manga are more comedy oriented and lack complex subtlety in their romantic interactions between characters. Which is probably one of the reasons H-games are so successful as anime/manga: the way the characters are written, anyone is fair game (though the anime conversions will, unfortunately, usually pick the "normal" or "best" endings.) Kanon had me on my toes while i was watching it for instance. Comic Party is the same way.
i've read volume 7 of Midori no Hibi, even though i couldn't understand half of what i was reading (my japanese is...not so good) i got the gist of it, and it seems really funny (kinda weird to be laughing at something you don't completely understand...)
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-29, 01:13   Link #5
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
in Maburaho, Kazuki MUST end up with Yuna, even though the story begins to move towards the...other girl...it's too late in the series to do that
well, at least the anime had an ending where there's enough Kazukis to end up with every girl, that's why I like Maburaho's ending so much

Quote:
but when it ends, it's unfortunately usually very predictable. And the ones that aren't are either unsuccessful or, through progression of the story, had developed another character
... or becoming instant classics
Old 2004-07-29, 05:06   Link #6
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Him ending up with Ayase would have saved the story for me... ie, I would have liked it again. So in that sense, him breaking the 'rules' would have been to his advantage. At least if he wanted me to like his story.
Old 2004-07-29, 10:07   Link #7
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I had guessed the manga ending couldn't be that far away from the anime ending. She's the main character, and I guess they had to satisfy the majority of the readers.

As for rooting for other characters in such a situation, I believe Love Hina is the perfect manga series that typifies this notion that the main girl will get the guy. Ironically, near the end, I personally thought Motoko had far more 'airtime' than Naru (I believe Akamatsu admitted his favorite LH girl was Motoko...). Earlier in the manga, I bet many people thought Mutsumi was a much more ... attractive choice than Naru for Keitaro.
Closed Thread