AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-06-17, 08:19   Link #1
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

How old is too old too watch anime?

how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?

i cannot think of any anime show that is targeted to audiences over 60. is there an anime show like the golden girls that i have missed out on?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 08:25   Link #2
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

There will be in the future. It just has to do with the times I reckon.
Old 2006-06-17, 08:27   Link #3
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Considering that most anime that we watch is targeted to teenagers, and a lot of us are already in our 20s.

I can honestly say it doesnt matter if there's no anime targeted to the elderly, All that matters is if they find a show they like.

For all we know it could be something as childish as some kind of hello kitty anime XD
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 08:30   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i know in japan there are lots of otaku in the 50ish. they are the gundam fanatics you hear about that grew up in the 70s. im not sure if thats frowned upon or not. generally i think in japan it has a single geeky type person connotation. i watched this TV show with thos SMAP characters!? or SMAK? anyway they had this 50 year old guy come on the show, he had like memorized every line for every character in the original gundam movie and dragonball Z freeza saga. he was like reciting them and acting it out as the show was playing in the background. it was funny, but i felt sad for that guy ;-;

i think in america, outside of computer user and gamer groups, anyone over 20 that watches anime is also frowned upon. most people think anime is yugioh and pokemon.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 08:36   Link #5
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
think in america, outside of computer user and gamer groups, anyone over 20 that watches anime is also frowned upon. most people think anime is yugioh and pokemon.
the little noobs have no idea then -___- i think the time to stop watching anime would be around 40...because by that time you should be engrossed with your job and family (if you have one)...but if you are a freeloader like me...i would probably continue watching anime XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 08:47   Link #6
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
i know in japan there are lots of otaku in the 50ish. they are the gundam fanatics you hear about that grew up in the 70s. im not sure if thats frowned upon or not. generally i think in japan it has a single geeky type person connotation. i watched this TV show with thos SMAP characters!? or SMAK? anyway they had this 50 year old guy come on the show, he had like memorized every line for every character in the original gundam movie and dragonball Z freeza saga. he was like reciting them and acting it out as the show was playing in the background. it was funny, but i felt sad for that guy ;-;

i think in america, outside of computer user and gamer groups, anyone over 20 that watches anime is also frowned upon. most people think anime is yugioh and pokemon.
Because the vast majority of uneducated Americans make the connection Anime = Cartoons just because its animation.

The sad thing is, most anime has a much deeper plot and story than the majority of American TV shows.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 08:47   Link #7
Keios
Q(°.°Q)

I don't see any problem with a 40-year-old watching anime as long as his/her whole life doesn't revolve around it. I for one can imagine myself watching anime at 40 if I just want to sit and relax. I mean, it's like any other pastime and if it keeps me entertained, why should I stop watching it?

*psst* Shouldn't this be in General Anime?

Keios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 09:05   Link #8
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its never too old, I'd be watching anime on my death bed and die while watching. You know, they say the golden age is when life starts, or something.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 09:07   Link #9
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

As long as I have a coherent brain and not yet senile, I think I'll watch anime all the way.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 09:19   Link #10
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Considering one's biological age is irrelevant, I don't see how there can be a set "this is inappropriate" age. There are some 30 year olds who are terribly immature, or perhaps emotionally stunted, with the mindframe of one much younger, therefore, it is perfectly acceptable, to them, to obsess over whatever they like. I know my father has seen some anime, when I recommend it, and he's in his 60's. As for being engrossed in your family, you need time for YOU as well, and after working a 40+ hour week, plus taking care of them in my off time, when I put them to bed, and pop in a DVD, it's MY time, and I could give a rat's arse what anyone else thinks. The outside world's opinion of me is irrelevant.

PS - I'm not in my 40's, because by the time I AM 40ish, I'll have gotten all kids out of the house LOL Then it's REALLY time for me!!!

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 10:45   Link #11
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

If I remember correctly, there were some polls about the most anticipated movies in Japan recently, and Gedo Senki was in the top three even for the older demographics. Ghibli definitely has the kind of appeal that speaks equally strongly to 10-year-olds as to 50-year-olds.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 13:32   Link #12
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

This is a question that can also be asked about video games, and the answer is the same in both situations. Anime and games are relatively NEW forms of entertainment. Anime only started picking up (I think) in the late '70's and gaming came around maybe 5-6 years later. Because older generations haven't grown up with this stuff, it's alien to them. When the original gaming/anime generation reaches elderly ages, you WILL see 80 year olds cussing each other out over Halo 10 and re-debating the merits of Evangelion.
Old 2006-06-17, 13:39   Link #13
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
You're never too old to like anything.

I feel sorry for people who think like that, abandoning that which they enjoy because they're now too "mature" for it.

It's the exact same way in Japan too, where liking anime after you're out of highschool is generally frowned upon.

But I don't give a shit what others think, I'm going to like what I like for as long as I live. :>
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 13:48   Link #14
Kamui4356
Aria Company

The answer is simple, you're too old to watch anime if and when you no longer enjoy it. Of course, it's entirely possible that one will never stop enjoying anime, or on the other side lose interest at a very young age, so asking the question of how old is too old is, in my opinion, rather pointless.

As for being socially acceptable, there are plenty of people in their 40s and even older who enjoy watching american cartoons aimed at little kids. If anything, watching anime should be more acceptable. It just never seems to work that way though...
Old 2006-06-17, 13:54   Link #15
Wandy
Starlight StarBright~
*Fansubber

you're never too old to watch any type of anime
heck i watch animes that are not even suppose to be for my age when i was 10
Wandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 14:12   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I agree. You're never too old to watch anime. You just have to have the abiility to watch it (ability to afford it, ability to obtain it, ability to play it).
Old 2006-06-17, 14:58   Link #17
Kirska

Quote:
how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?

i cannot think of any anime show that is targeted to audiences over 60. is there an anime show like the golden girls that i have missed out on?
Hmmm...

how old is too old to watch anime?

I believe the question should be:

"How unintelligent is too unintelligent to be able to enjoy something uninfluenced by society's brainless standards?"
-You know where THEIR opinions come from, right? Everyone else's. It's a paradox. No would would really give a flip if they all made a pact to stop carrying on with the act.-

Unless I just get SICK of anime, I may be watching it as far as into my 80s...even if just to relive my younger days.

: ) Who the hell cares what a sheep thinks? Do what you want.

-Right and wrong are works of perspective, and in essence cease to exist.-
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 20:40   Link #18
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
When you die, then that's too old to watch anime. It is socially unacceptable for the dead to watch anime. Any age prior to death is fine.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 21:14   Link #19
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
When you die, then that's too old to watch anime. It is socially unacceptable for the dead to watch anime. Any age prior to death is fine.
Well what about undead? Is Dracula allowed to watch anime? In any case I don't believe in an age limit when it comes to any medium. Save for obviously being too young. Other than that, it's free game. Since to me the purpose to watching anime is to be entertained. If you're deciding what to watch, read, or play based on trying to look mature to people than you're wasting your time. This is a general statement and extends beyond anime.
Old 2006-06-17, 21:22   Link #20
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev
Well what about undead? Is Dracula allowed to watch anime? In any case I don't believe in an age limit when it comes to any medium.
I worry about you kids.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote