AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-09-18, 20:35   Link #881
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Sometimes I think the anime industry is still completely baffled by the idea that someone outside of Japan might be interested in this stuff

I'm a bit surprised they haven't at least added subtitles for english or chinese in the basic release... but I suspect they are more interested in *predictable* returns than in *maximized* returns. They *know* the local market whereas the overseas market is much less understood.

Every japanese business I've been around is much more interested in predictability than in maximization.
I don't know that I actually agree with that - it's a much smarter business decision to allow someone else to take the risk than to carry it yourself. Besides, the US market for people waiting to spend over $10 an episode is basically non-existant anyway. Think about how much people complain at paying approx $5 an episode now.
Old 2006-09-18, 22:43   Link #882
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I don't know that I actually agree with that - it's a much smarter business decision to allow someone else to take the risk than to carry it yourself. Besides, the US market for people waiting to spend over $10 an episode is basically non-existant anyway. Think about how much people complain at paying approx $5 an episode now.
true on both ... I just think the risk avoidance is intertwined with the predictability comfort.
as far as cost... the various media studios already play the region "market pricing" game (else we wouldn't have region codes), so I'd assume they would adjust pricing were they to take the risk. I wonder what the difference would be with higher quality encoding at a higher price versus decrease in buyers ... but none of this is really on topic so I'll stop now

I need to hurry up and finish any other downloads I want to get done so the slate is clear next month. And next month, my Kamichu #3, Ichigo Marshmallow #3, and Moon Phase #1 should appear ..... yay for October
Old 2006-09-18, 22:45   Link #883
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But the US isn't the only English speaking region and there are English natives in other countries that could buy this. Granted they aren't a sizeable force as Region 1. Anyway, since this title is probably in the stratosphere for licensing costs, it couldn't hurt to put the subtitles on. It's not like we are going to see this in Region 1 anytime soon. Might as well make that extra money off us.

Also, one only needs to shop for DVD players with region codes that can be changed or region free players. Region free players can be found for under $100 now.
Old 2006-09-18, 23:39   Link #884
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. but most people aren't aware of this (and most are only vaguely aware of entertainment from other countries). Even my son's japanese language teacher (she's from Japan) didn't know about region codes until I tried to loan her some films to watch. Now she knows and I gave her some leads on where to buy the devices.

yeah... distributors would have to hock their daughters and their left kidneys to license this puppy probably.
Old 2006-09-20, 00:54   Link #885
navi432001
Completely Unproductive

Never really understood the reason for region codes... I guess thats why they are useless on a computer. (not that I am saying its possible to infinitely change your dvd region code on your dvd burner) *twiddles his thumbs*

Whats wrong with piracy?
navi432001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 01:18   Link #886
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navi432001
Never really understood the reason for region codes... I guess thats why they are useless on a computer. (not that I am saying its possible to infinitely change your dvd region code on your dvd burner) *twiddles his thumbs*
Simple - it's to control the market. The MPAA is mainly responsible for this, and their motive is maximum profit. These region codings let them get away with overpricing movies in areas that are "high income" (like Europe, hence Region 2-Europe movies tend to be much more expensive than Region 3 counterparts, since Region 3 covers South East Asia, which is mostly 3rd world countries).

As for changing regions on the PC, first you need either a RPC-1 DVD Drive (which is no longer in production), or a firmware update or other hack if you have a RPC-2 Drive (which has region coding on the drive itself). Thanks to a particular freeware program, it's easy to bypass the region coding for Lite-On drives without doing any "expert" stuff (eg changing the firmware, which you still have to do for other brands) - all you do is run the program and chose "unlock" or something.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 00:36   Link #887
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Old school wallpapers:

Spoiler for pantsu advisory:
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 07:57   Link #888
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Does anybody have this picture in higher resolution?:
paTKany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 10:15   Link #889
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Scans from this issue of Hobby Japan : the coming of the Ayu PVC figures (plus a Misuzu and Kanna figure as well). According to the third picture, a Nayuki figure is also planned.

nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 11:11   Link #890
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Let the milking begin!

Moo...
Old 2006-09-23, 11:24   Link #891
Lost

Huh? What what? What milking? *looks around nervously*

I would buy the running Ayu figure.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-09-24 at 10:51.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 00:58   Link #892
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, that's to be expected. Especially Air merchandising along side Kanon merchandising. I like the Ayu running pose model the best. Kanna would prob look great after the work was done, especially with all those feathers and that kimono.

Mahoro looks really good on that bike.
Old 2006-09-24, 01:05   Link #893
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

It takes a real paint expert to make'em look good. I would love to have that kind of skill (looking @ my sad-ass scale Tamiya model of IJN Yamato.)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 05:59   Link #894
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Another stuff to order from play-asia.com again.....sigh sucks to be a Kanon fan
Old 2006-09-27, 12:03   Link #895
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Wondering if they use music from the first series. Just listened it and have to say that it's not best music if you are tired and want to be awake . Luckily fpr us in preview they used a bit more fast paced music .

Edit: Ah maybe it it's better in action.

Last edited by Anacone; 2006-09-27 at 12:13.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 12:09   Link #896
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone
Wondering if they use music from the first series. Just listened it and have to say that it's not best music if you are tired and want to be awake . Luckily in preview they used a bit more fast paced music.
The original score for the new series is the same as the one from the game, not Hiroyuki Kouzu's musical score. Though - to make you a lil' happy, Hiroyuki Kouzu score from the first series was mainly just different versions of the original game soundtrack. :3
Old 2006-09-29, 13:20   Link #897
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
http://www.haeleth.net/index.shtml
Now, for me those are really great news, especially that I got my Kanon game copy via airmail yesterday T.T

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 14:51   Link #898
martino
makes no files now

What do you mean? It's not such good news..."On Hold"
Old 2006-09-29, 14:57   Link #899
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I think Vibeke meant great as in "big."
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 15:16   Link #900
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke
http://www.haeleth.net/index.shtml
Now, for me those are really great news, especially that I got my Kanon game copy via airmail yesterday T.T
Sarcasm?

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen