AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

View Poll Results: Ouran Host Club Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 9 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 19.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 19.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 22.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-14, 21:44   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Ouran Host Club Episode 20 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Ouran Host Club, Episode 20.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-08-15, 14:30   Link #2
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-15, 17:38   Link #3
Omniscient

Episode 20 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-15, 20:34   Link #4
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

just watch it last night and...

please not another twins...
Old 2006-08-18, 10:14   Link #5
dxgarten

Episode 20 screencaps and review

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-19, 03:25   Link #6
wao
OK.

Gosh, this makes me really hate the twins. They remind me so much of some people I know... playing stupid games, thinking they'll garner affection by being obviously mysterious and acting as if they want to be known, and don't want to be known at teh same time. It irritates me. But that's still okay... it's possible to get used to it and like them for it; it's the rudeness that's the worst. The bit when they turned down that girl so rudely was horrible. And they still could selfishly say that she was the one being horrible simply because she couldn't tell them apart.

Okay, usually I don't get so annoyed at the twins... Though I think they've become a lot better in the Host Club (well at least Kaoru...)

An interesting note is that this episode was storyboarded by the director of Eureka 7, Tomoki Kyoda. I thought it was interesting how the clouds moved off in the background while Ton- I mean Tamaki (oh shi-!) was talking to the twins after he guessed who was who.
Old 2006-08-19, 06:22   Link #7
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
I haven't seen the episode yet so I might change my view after I watch it but I think I can understand the twins being evil to girls (and people who couldn't tell them apart for that matter).

Particularly... in the case of the first girl in the episode who confesses to Hikaru with the letter.

I mean, wouldn't you be peed if someone said, "either one of you is fine" ?

Seems like a good episode. And Tamaki is as always admirable. ><
Old 2006-08-19, 19:17   Link #8
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Damn Honey is no joke i mean to kick your little brothers ass over cake i mean cake thats called blind obession. Even though i think if i made a bet like that with anime i would be able to take on a whole army and win. Again a fun episode not exactly as funny as the eairler ones. I kind of expected this though as funny as the eairler episodes are its hard to maintain that through 20 something episodes it rarely happens in with this genre. but o love it anyway being a part of the club would be fun
Old 2006-08-23, 21:15   Link #9
Kiomi

Haha...I loved this episode...I was kind of like "Oh god not another twin one...geez what about more...tamaki or Honey..or....somone".

But I really liked it...
I am a twin also (I keep saying this..but uh).... and that is very true....people would do that to us in preschool...and if my sisters hair wasn't dyed black they would be doing that to me today.

Boys would come up to me and be all like "Hey I like you." ...I ask them why..and they say.."becuase...your..nice". Bah... most of them knew my sister...got to know her...figured I was the same way...the same person. I made some good friends one year and one called me heather and I said "No i am michelle" and...well he responded saying. "Like it matters lol." faggot....
Some girls come up to me knowing I am michelle and just start talking to me...about things I have no idea about. I know it's not their fault...but its..like...i donno.

Some people called us lesbo's because we hung around each other a lot....ugh...people are soooooo......

Oh yeah one time a girl..i think she was kidding but what she said was just retarded.

"Hey look at it this way...if one dies we still have the other." OUCH!
Old 2006-08-23, 21:47   Link #10
bubu
Glittering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiomi
Haha...I loved this episode...I was kind of like "Oh god not another twin one...geez what about more...tamaki or Honey..or....somone".
Episode 21 is yet another twins episode.

But anyway, loved this episode, mostly for Tamaki. He really is a prince, even if he acts like an idiot sometimes (okay, most of the time ). And the twins were adorable when they were little.

It's hard for non-twins to understand what twins go through, I guess. I don't think people mean to say dumb things to them, they're just ignorant.

Last edited by bubu; 2006-08-23 at 22:01.
Old 2006-08-23, 23:59   Link #11
mit7059

I hated this episode, the twins are just so bitchy, and the almost total lack of haruhi was a huge strike against this episode. I'm starting to get annoyed with this series, mainly because I hate backround episodes, and I'm afraid that they're won't be enough time for a meaningful ending if they keep wasting episodes like this.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-24, 07:23   Link #12
yjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
I hated this episode, the twins are just so bitchy, and the almost total lack of haruhi was a huge strike against this episode. I'm starting to get annoyed with this series, mainly because I hate backround episodes, and I'm afraid that they're won't be enough time for a meaningful ending if they keep wasting episodes like this.
Quoted for truth. The support characters are fun but this series is spending way too much time on them.
Old 2006-08-25, 01:50   Link #13
katakami
another procrastinator

I noticed something and I want someone to confirm it...

See, I can tell the difference between the two by their voice actors. Apart from their part in their hair (which is sometimes unreliable).

In that scene where Tamaki approaches the twins for the first time and tells them of his club he wants to make... I THINK Kaoru and Hikaru switch places...

It could be like... an error or the animation studio wanted to play around with the audience on purpose but...

Up to the line where they say "'Which one is Hikaru-kun?' game" Kaoru is sitting screen left. (on Tamaki's left hand side). But when it goes to that scene where you see the fountain reflection... Kaoru is sitting on Tamaki's right hand side.

Anyone else notice this?

---

and yeah.. I think out of all the club members we probably know the least about Tamaki. (And Mori for now). So I do agree the twins get too much screen time... But it could be because Bisco Hatori is a twin enthusiast...
Old 2006-08-25, 09:05   Link #14
ghostface

Quote:
Originally Posted by katakami
In that scene where Tamaki approaches the twins for the first time and tells them of his club he wants to make... I THINK Kaoru and Hikaru switch places...

It could be like... an error or the animation studio wanted to play around with the audience on purpose but...

Up to the line where they say "'Which one is Hikaru-kun?' game" Kaoru is sitting screen left. (on Tamaki's left hand side). But when it goes to that scene where you see the fountain reflection... Kaoru is sitting on Tamaki's right hand side.

Anyone else notice this?
I checked that scene after reading your post and it does seem as if the twins switched places in the reflection. LOL.

But if you watch closely till the end of the scene, you'll see that the real twins are upside down, and the reflection is upright. The leaf falling down and rippling Tamaki's reflection is a give-away.

I don't know how to explain this, but in the reflection everything is reversed and Kaoru is sitting on Tamaki's right hand side. But in the upside-down "real" image Kaoru is on Tamaki's left hand side, just as he should be

So yeah, I think the animators were just fooling around.
Old 2006-08-25, 13:21   Link #15
mit7059

Hikaru's voice actor is much more famous and has had many more roles than Kaoru's, who has only had a few minor roles prior to this, maybe that means that the creaters value Hikaru more. Which makes more sense seeing as how hes not only the dom twin, but he's the one that got the date with Haruhi in ep. 16.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-25, 15:53   Link #16
Kiomi

Quote:
I noticed something and I want someone to confirm it...

See, I can tell the difference between the two by their voice actors. Apart from their part in their hair (which is sometimes unreliable).

Anyone else notice this?

---

and yeah.. I think out of all the club members we probably know the least about Tamaki. (And Mori for now). So I do agree the twins get too much screen time... But it could be because Bisco Hatori is a twin enthusiast...
Oh um....the difference in the twins.

Their part in their hair.
Their eyes: Kaoru's eyes are much more gentle and Hikaru's eyes are catish
Their faces: Somtimes Hikaru's face is either longer or more narrow then Kaoru's.
Eyelashs: Kaoru somtimes has 2, Hikaru always has less eyelashs the Kaoru.

The twins switch a lot in the series....you just don't really notice it....i think they purposly do it so people go "Oh dude they changed!!"

I'd go back in the episode to look to see if your right...but ugh...to lazy. xD
Old 2006-08-25, 17:29   Link #17
katakami
another procrastinator

ghostface... hahah ahhh yes, I get what you mean!

Even if the camera cuts three times... the last shot of tamaki alone shows that the top half is actually the reflection and the bottom (upside down) part is the real tamaki which WOULD make the twins unswitched. XD

@_@ ahhked... so confusing... hahah

But yeah... Kiomi...They can always change the part in their hair (like Kaoru does in episode 15 when he pretends to be Hikaru). Their eyes - are sometimes exactly identical. Their faces - Kaoru's seemed longer in episode 16. (haven't noticed anything about the eyelashes. I think Studio BONES/Bisco Hatori were hoping to imply that the twins are supposed to be exactly identical in every visual manner.

I think the only way people are supposed to tell the difference (at least in the world of Ouran) is through their manner of speech as Haruhi pointed out. Hikaru is more matter-of-fact. Kaoru is more capable of empathy. I do agree they did a great job in casting the two of them. But I read on wiki that Kenichi Suzumura (Hikaru) plays Kaoru on the Drama CD?? What the... I'll be so confused! @_@

On a different note... that part when the maid slides down that rope ladder and the young twins peer down the balcony ... that was some funky animation. XD
Old 2006-08-25, 18:38   Link #18
Aiya Kasai

Quote:

Even if the camera cuts three times... the last shot of tamaki alone shows that the top half is actually the reflection and the bottom (upside down) part is the real tamaki which WOULD make the twins unswitched. XD

But yeah... Kiomi...They can always change the part in their hair (like Kaoru does in episode 15 when he pretends to be Hikaru). Their eyes - are sometimes exactly identical. Their faces - Kaoru's seemed longer in episode 16. (haven't noticed anything about the eyelashes. I think Studio BONES/Bisco Hatori were hoping to imply that the twins are supposed to be exactly identical in every visual manner.

I think the only way people are supposed to tell the difference (at least in the world of Ouran) is through their manner of speech as Haruhi pointed out. Hikaru is more matter-of-fact. Kaoru is more capable of empathy. I do agree they did a great job in casting the two of them. But I read on wiki that Kenichi Suzumura (Hikaru) plays Kaoru on the Drama CD?? What the... I'll be so confused! @_@

On a different note... that part when the maid slides down that rope ladder and the young twins peer down the balcony ... that was some funky animation. XD

Acctually thats in correct. At first...the twins are mirrored...making them exactly the same...but later in the anime they acctually look different. I tell kaoru and Hikaru apart from their faces acctually...because the part in their hair and voices look/sound the same at some points.

Koaru is light...and more gentle...or "gay"...if you want to put it that way. His eyes are calm and the top of his eyes are lifted up more then Hikaru...if they are NOT playing their twin game...but even if...kaoru's eyes won't be as thin as Hikaru's.

Also...Hikaru's eyebrows narrow in more....and his eyes are more cat like. Kaoru's eyes are more pretty....with eye lashs...and they both tend to stick with their personalities.

The animation team..or author(whatever)...I think did this on purpose...because Twins will look different once you get to know them. They aren't the same person...

One thing that makes these twins unique...is that they are opposites of each other in a way. Ones the devil...and the other is an Angel. Together they seem like thier normal self....but away from each other...Hikaru is akward and a bit rude....while Kaoru is confident and kind.

Sometimes though they really confuse me. Because "Kaoru"...will have the face of Hikaru....but there part is different. Usually if they have the same attitude...I look at the top of Kaoru's eye...or see if he has two eye lashs(which they also....change that up too)

Okay I'm not obsessed...just crazy observant...rofl. This is why I always got the twin game thing right (xD).

And holy crap my sister is posting after me....good luck guys...hahaha!
Old 2006-08-25, 18:44   Link #19
Kiomi

Quote:

Oh really? ^^ I didn't know that... my and my sister always get into fights about it...somtimes It really confuses me..but I can always tell by the eyes.

bah my images didn't work...i had some examples.....it would be fun to have a twin guessing game

Examine the next episode..and you can tell.... that they are different..like what my sister said. Yeah they did draw them exact at the begining but they changed it later...I am pretty sure...just see some and you'll know what I am talking about.
The author is what you say a twin lover…then she would have defently put differences in the twins, small details. At first she drew them exact, but she started to draw them differently so the audience could love them individually ^^......

Uh i am not here to like be like "woa I know what I am talking about" Cuzz...it's not like I asked the author...lol

Last edited by Kiomi; 2006-08-25 at 19:00.
Old 2006-08-25, 20:10   Link #20
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Wow you guys are good, I didnt eve notice that they switched at all. I really can only tell by the hair. I wish I was as good as Haruhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiya
One thing that makes these twins unique...is that they are opposites of each other in a way. Ones the devil...and the other is an Angel. Together they seem like thier normal self....but away from each other...Hikaru is akward and a bit rude....while Kaoru is confident and kind.
True but thats not always the case. They were both very mean to the girl in the beginning of the epi but I think Kaoru in generally more gentle. They both just like putting on a show for people and they both said up until the joined the club and even as they met Haruhi they treated people like "pets" they could play with. Ebilness but they are beginning to show subtle differences between eachother.

Quote:
and yeah.. I think out of all the club members we probably know the least about Tamaki.
Well one reason I know of this is for people whove read the manga (like me) the series totally skipped vol 6 which dealt alot with Tamaki (no I wasnt happy either) So I dont know when there gonna air it since only 5 epis remain I think, I dont remember if this has 24 or 26 epis total. So they better have it in season 2 (there better BE a season 2)
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Closed Thread