AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it wrong for a man to strike back at a woman in self-defence to save his life?
Yes. 10 12.82%
No. 68 87.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-22, 02:11   Link #21
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

As some people said, you shouldn't be violent against anyone. Also, I think it is low to strike a woman. That is awful. However, if a woman is trying to kill you, defend yourself! Even if you have to strike her. If someone is trying to kill you, man or woman, defend yourself. I mean, whoever is your assailant (man or woman), you don't have to hurt them badly or kill them (unless that is your only option, and most times it shouldn't be; especially the second one). Just do what it takes to defend yourself from great harm.

And don't worry about lawsuits. In that kind of situation, you have to worry about your safety or life. If a lawsuit happens, it happens. At least you saved your life.
Old 2008-12-22, 02:38   Link #22
othera

If a chick comes at me with a weapon... im going to knock her out.
If not, i wouldn't hit her unless she was doing something like trying to kill me, otherwise stop her from being able to hit me(armlock etc)
Old 2008-12-22, 11:58   Link #23
Shadow Kira01

Yes and no. It depends who the woman is. I mean.. If that woman is an assassin send to murder you, not fighting back would be the equivalent of committing suicide. And if the woman is spy from a dictatorship regime to kill you, yet you go by the principle of not using self-defense if the attacker if female, the result would also be your death. Thus, the answer is both yes and no.

Yes = Most circumstances.
No = Extremely Rare circumstances.
Conclusion = I can't vote. Where is the "depending on the situation" option???
Old 2008-12-22, 12:26   Link #24
Thingle
Banned

Yep. Yep. A KO inducing right cross would do the job against any stupid woman who in their lunacy, endangers (or even lays a hand at me). Weapon or no, Touch me the wrong way and you're off to dreamland. =)
Old 2008-12-22, 12:39   Link #25
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Actually when I was 10 year old kid there a girl almost got hit by a guy.When that guy left her,that girl cry.So because of I'm so naive that time,I asked her "why you cry,he haven't hit you".She say "My boyfriend is not a good & honorable man,when you grown up don't be like him,"then she left.

From that moment I've make an oath to never hit any woman.Since that time,I've hate to see a woman cry.

So if a guy want to hit a woman,it depend on the current situation.
Heh,I can't vote yes or no.

Last edited by RAVNEN; 2008-12-22 at 12:40. Reason: OMG!!!!
Old 2008-12-22, 15:38   Link #26
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

If a woman is trying to hurt you, defending yourself is the normal reaction.
Old 2008-12-22, 16:08   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I support gender equality, so if someone was trying to kill me, I'd have the same reaction regardless of the assailant's gender: cry and beg for mercy. What? I didn't say I was macho...

Just kidding. Except the part about gender equality. While I'm reluctant to hit anyone at all, it has nothing to do with gender. I will hit girls if I feel in danger.
Old 2008-12-22, 17:01   Link #28
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Just kidding. Except the part about gender equality. While I'm reluctant to hit anyone at all, it has nothing to do with gender. I will hit girls if I feel in danger.
I agree. I myself think of violence always as a final resort. But if the situation escalates to a point where there's no other option gender, ethnicity, race, religion etc. don't really matter. If it's either me or him or her, I tend to prefer the option more favorable to myself. Even in those cases I prefer not to use unnecessary amount of force.

I've had a couple of cases where I have had to resort to physical force but in neither was it necessary to leave the other with more than a few bruises. (Both were men though.)

To sum up, I will not through the first punch but if it's absolutely necessary I'll return it. And if so it doesn't matter who's on the receiving end.
Old 2008-12-22, 17:42   Link #29
Solafighter
Hige

In germany, a person has its right to do everything to protect its own life.

Well, i would never hurt or even kill a female person to protect my own life. There can be expections but im not a soldier nor a police officer. So i dont think, it will happen often to me.

To answer the question: Yes.
Old 2008-12-22, 21:35   Link #30
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
what was the reason for her attacking you cat-tongue, that seems somewhat extreme :\ ....
Normal stuff, me being needlessly mean (with my words), one case of me being unfaithful. The kind of thing people fight about... She just lost her cool during those instances and struck me. I always try not to lose my head, but I do sometimes end up talking some really low down shit (calling her names, criticizing her decision making, criticizing her effort in our relationship, etc) out of anger. I always feel really bad afterwards about what I've said. I've felt the urge to just slap her sometimes, but I've never come close to doing it.

edit: As far as general violence, I'm pretty ready to hit someone about something, with the scale of the issue's worthiness going down the more I drink. IE I'll hit a dude about next to nothing if I'm tanked enough. I've been in so many fights I can make both sides of my jaw click, and I've had my teeth put back in quite a few times.
Old 2008-12-22, 21:54   Link #31
LeoXiao
思想工作

I do act quite differently around women than men (namely, that I'm way more spineless). I tend to be a lot more submissive to their demands and I have a fear that they are constantly using their super-emotional-sensory skillz to determine what's on my mind.

If someone was trying to end my life, I like to say I'd respond accordingly based on that person's ability to do so. But reality is different, so if I knew that someone was trying to kill me I wouldn't think about killing that person, be it a man or a woman, I'd thinking about defending myself. If I had a gun my first instinct would be either to shoot it or threaten the attacker with death. If I had a knife I'd probably use it. If had only my natural weapons I'd fight to the extent of my abilities or run (in the single major fight I've had I did both).

Yeah, I'd probably be able to kill a woman in self-defense just as "easily" as a man, if not easier, since women are generally weaker and less built for combat purpose.
Old 2008-12-22, 22:25   Link #32
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I take no offense to either male or female, if it meant to preserve myself. I come first if my life is in danger. Even if i feel threatened, i'll walk away. If that person still to me make me feel indangered, i'll only strike back if they (meaning just 1 or multiples) if they do first.

So is it wrong? No. When you are in danger or dire danger. That just the isn't a place for someone to feel that gender equality or masculine responsibility to hold oneself back.

If you felt it was just wrong to harm a female during your encounter, you can think about that after your dead. I would rather survive and thrive on ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-12-23, 11:26   Link #33
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Pfft...

What hokey BS is that?

Male, female, transgender, who cares? If someone hits you, you are fully entitled to defend yourself however you must.

My husband was of the mindset you don't hit a woman, so his exwife beat him for years before he finally snapped and told her the next time she hit him, he'd hit her back.
She hit him, and he knocked her on her arse, turned around and walked out of the house and never went back.

If I *EVER* hit him, I would fully expect him to hit back, and he knows if he ever hit me, I am fully capable of picking him up and heaving him across a room (he only weighs about 120 lbs and I outweigh him by a chunk plus lift weights). Has nothing to do with my being a woman or anything, self defense is self defense.
My ex-husband bruised up my arms ONCE, and when asked if it'd happen again the reply was "That depends on if you piss me off or not". I came by to get my stuff the next day. There's no reason to physically assault someone, IMO.

I'd rephrase it to say people should not hit one another done end of story.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
Old 2008-12-23, 17:04   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My only comment is that it is a poorly constructed question and rather loaded in funky ways.... so I'll abstain.
Old 2008-12-24, 12:16   Link #35
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Preservation of self, well for me, reigns supreme. If a woman is putting me in danger, never mind trying to end my life, I shall fight back in any way I can. That means hitting, biting, injuring, whatever. Man or woman, don't put me in that position. Now, thankfully i've never been with a woman who hit me or someone who put me in such danger. I would not put up with my wife hitting me nor would I expect her to allow me to hit her. So the answer is easily yes, you can hit a woman in self-defense if it comes down to that.
Old 2008-12-24, 16:17   Link #36
LeoXiao
思想工作

Oh wait, I misread the question.

If a woman hits me, I'll hit them back depending on how much the blow hurt. Some women are quite vicious. I am the kind of person who subconsciously assumes that if someone is mad at me, I'm in the wrong, so if someone hits me (but not hard enough to elicit a full counterattack), chnaces are I'll try to negotiate and find out what the problem is. If it's a woman I'll probably be more lenient, since I'll admit I am somewhat sexist.

So yes, I do believe it is okay to strike back in self-defense.
Old 2008-12-24, 16:49   Link #37
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I am actually quite flabbergasted that this question can still be considered to have more than one answer - and I don't mean just gender eqaulity. Replace the word woman in the poll with anything you want and the answer should still be no. I thought people who would say yes and if a life and death situation arises would actually keep their word could be found only in medival romances and crappy fantasy series (I am looking at you, Wheel of Time). I find the notion that it's bad to hit a woman while it's perfectly OK to hit any sort of man, never mind that it's entirely possible for this hyphotetical man to be physically weaker than the vast majority of women (and men), incredibly offensive and condescending to women.

Old 2008-12-24, 17:00   Link #38
OutSmart
Comic Relief

Well.. if a female assassin was after me witha shotgun in hand saying "time to die", yes, I would at least try to kick her ass.

plus, I totally agree with the post above!
Old 2008-12-25, 11:14   Link #39
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I think if someone regardless of gender (I wouldnt like to do it though) were to hit me I'd hit them back, maybe. See I'm quite small (not even 50kg, and I'm 25 yes old) and while there are situations were I'd fight back (if I became angry or something) my first survival instinct is usually to gtfo. So no I don't think it is wrong for someone to defend themself, but the extent to which that defense is carried out can be in the extreme. In hindsight circumstances often dictate a percieved correct response to a situation, however emotions can get in the way during arguments or fights and it is possible for things to get carried away often to the regret of those involved. I think it is best to see if situations can be difussed through other means or avoided before they get to the stage of fist throwing. But that's just me since I'm not exactly built for one on one conflict.
Old 2008-12-25, 11:46   Link #40
Vikitehwaffu

I don't buy into the whole "don't hit girls" crap. You shouldn't hit people, man or woman ever.

I would strike back no matter what the gender. Yeah it's better to hold a woman down, but I would do the same if I could to a guy as well.
Closed Thread