AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-19, 21:52   Link #61
Ojouchan

Ok, Another Question....

How many people intend to watch the 4kids dub again?

I know personally I don't intend to ever dirty my ears or mind again, but that I'll probably check in again to see just how badly they continue to destroy a fantastic show(if I happen to be awake that early on a Sat. morning again)

.........probably beacause I enjoy pain.

anyway.......... What do you guys plan to do or know you will actually do?

Just Curious.
Old 2004-09-19, 21:52   Link #62
Kouji
StrykerX

I was hoping that they'd keep the english version of We Are, like they did in the intro. But, unfortunately they didn't. I guess we'll just have to wait till FUNi does the DVDs.
Old 2004-09-19, 22:16   Link #63
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojouchan

I know personally I don't intend to ever dirty my ears or mind again, but that I'll probably check in again to see just how badly they continue to destroy a fantastic show(if I happen to be awake that early on a Sat. morning again)

.........probably beacause I enjoy pain.

anyway.......... What do you guys plan to do or know you will actually do?

Just Curious.
personally I'll try finding some form of way to get it online, that way I not only get to sleep in, but theoretically I wouldnt in any way be contributing to its ratings. I want to see how bad they murder the particularly bloody arcs, as I sit in my ivory, fansub founded tower, laughing.
Old 2004-09-20, 01:18   Link #64
chaoz
I see all and pwn all

Did they also change the music for the show? I felt kind of irritated while watching it...
Old 2004-09-20, 01:22   Link #65
~ninjacowboy~
wheres the middle finger?

Send a message via AIM to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via MSN to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ninjacowboy~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed
I dont know, but I'm gonna find out. Seriously. If i find an email or an address, I'll post it. I've had enough crap from these idiots trying to fill thier pockets.
cwest@4kidsent.com

and

sraboin@4kidsent.com
enjoy

and the worst part.......the 7 yearolds............................there like running around punching eatchother and yelling blast blast gum blast!
><
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! MAKE IT STOP!

*rembers he has a mail bomb *
Old 2004-09-20, 21:03   Link #66
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
cwest@4kidsent.com

and

sraboin@4kidsent.com
enjoy

*rembers he has a mail bomb *
hey thanks! i also found these if you wanna snail mail:

Sharon Raboin, Director of Public Relations;
1414 Avenue of Americas,
New York, NY 10019;
(212) 758-7666, Ext. 257;
Fax (212) 980-0933);

4Kids Entertainment, Inc.
1414 Avenue of the Americas
New York City, NY 10019

Theres nothing more persuasive than a well written letter! (please resist OMG joo suxor2 stuff lol!) Here's what i wrote. Pheer the longevity! DOOM

Dear Miss. or Mrs. Raboin,

I cannot express to you in words the joy I felt the morning I learned that Eiichiro Oda’s masterwork, One Piece, was coming to American shores. Being 17, I am not so easily reduced to jumping on couches and shouting with joy. For the next few weeks I was all smiles, nothing could dampen my spirits. On September 18, 2004, snuggled amidst my leopard print pillows with my trusty remote and my peanut M&Ms, I could hardly subdue the excited butterflies in my stomach. For the next 30 minutes, I was glued to the TV. What I saw compelled me to write to you in hopes that as an already devoted fan, I could express my concern to you about the future of the show (and perhaps the lack there of).

I do not know under what circumstances you decided to license this show. Perhaps you chose it because of its simple cartoony appearance or because the main character is a 16 year old kid in a straw hat that can stretch like rubber. However, I must make it known to you that, even though the main character is a childish goofball, the series is rated 13 and up in Japan, and a cutsey upbeat show with a bunch of kids playing pirates is NOT what you got. I hate to be in the ‘obnoxious complaining fan’ category, but I must make my grievances known to you. I have included some suggestions for you to look over that I think would make everyone happy and enlarge your profit from the series. I implore you to think about them, but whether you take me serious or not is up to you.

Firstly, a minor complaint. I must know why you changed the original music score and the original theme song, ‘We Are’. I’m guessing you changed the theme song in order to keep the later characters, Usopp and Sanji, a surprise, because knowing Fox’s show schedule of about 30 episodes/ season, it will be next spring before we meet them. But who on earth came up with that rap? “Yo ho ho, he took a bite o gum gum.” The lyrics leave something to be desired. I am baffled as to why you would change the original instrumental score to a synth that sounds something like Pirates of the Caribbean. But like I said before, this is a minor complaint and I’m under the assumption you did this with good reasons. I will spare you all the minor dubbing and editing stuff that I will get over, but the main point I wrote this letter to you is to ask what will happen to the future episodes? During the first episode, there were at least 30 changes or cuts. If this is the case for perhaps the lightest episode in the series, what will happen during the heavy and bloody ones?

I’m aware that you cut Arlong, the merman, from the opening theme during the quick showing of the villains. I also noticed that you gave Nami, the thief/navigator, dialogue where she discreetly inferred to herself as the number one female pirate. Since Arlong is the purpose of Nami’s hatred of pirates and thievery, and since he’s been edited out, this leaves me to believe that you intend to blame the thieving on piracy and to totally cut the Arlong arc from the series. Whether this is true or not, I am most curious to see how you treat the arc. On the 30/season schedule, it should air around next Christmas sometime. However, according to the censors, there cannot be guns, blood, death, or strong violence. Considering this, the arc probably should be cut out because with most of the spurring moments and actions in it gone, I fear the story would make no sense. But if you do decide to cut it, what will you do? The Arlong arc is probably the most emotional and popular arc of the series! And what of the other arcs? In the Captain Kuro arc, Kuro literally massacres his own crew, and in the later Kreig arc, Kreig has armor that shoots bullets, spikes, and poisonous gas! You went out on a limb to edit minor things like the words ‘wine’ and ‘devil fruit’, which is understandable but probably wouldn’t have received much criticism. What will you do when Luffy is covered in blood with spikes protruding from him? There are important, violent things in One Piece that can’t be cut out!

Perhaps I fear most for the show itself. While you cut and edit, trying to create a children’s show that will draw in cash and a large fan base like it has in Japan, I feel that editing out parts that, while they go against censors, they are vital to the overall impact of the show that makes it so popular. I am unsure if you are aware of this but the magazine, Shonen Jump, runs monthly chapters of One Piece manga in America, virtually unedited. This will conflict considerably with your show. It did not affect shows like YuGiOh and Shaman King, because the edits are minor and Shonen Jump had not been around at the time, or at least not long enough to cause much of an upset. Not so in the case of One Piece. Long time readers will reject the new edited show and new viewers will eventually find out about the manga, and may choose to reject the edited show also. Either way, you will lose ratings due to the censors.

However, this does not mean that the English speaking One Piece fan base does not want a translated version of the show. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth! I have some possible solutions to your problem that will bring in more profit and make everyone happy. I do realize that you’ve probably signed a contract with Fox over the show, so moving the show to Cartoon Network might be impossible. Perhaps you could pressure Fox into showing it at an earlier time slot so that you could be more lenient with the material. But this will cost ratings, so I’ve thought of a better solution that would maximize profit for you. You can continue showing the edited version on the Fox Box and at the end of the season, discreetly release an uncut version of the show with the original script and music score. You could slap a big ‘Uncut version- 15 and up’ label on the front and release the DVDs online and to specialty stores like Suncoast and Hastings. This would not only shut us hard-core One Piece fans up (a big plus for y’all, I bet), it will also satisfy the soccer moms while still raking in the younger viewer base you seek. I feel this would be your best bet to save the show from mediocre ratings and mass hate-ons.

I don’t know if you’ll even read this letter or not, or whether you’ll reply to it. I understand that you are a very busy person, but I implore you to take some kind of action to quench the fire that has been started. One Piece is my favorite series, and I would hate to see it go down the pipes. I do know that when you have to edit entire storylines to meet criteria, you have your work cut out for you. I beg of you to consider the uncut DVD option. I know my fellow viewers everywhere and I would be most exhilarated if you did.

I have enclosed some actual manga samples of events that are important to the show and would be sorely missed if edited out. Please look them over.

We await your actions with anticipation.

A long time viewer and fan,

[name]

Quote:
meeeeee just cause i have nothing better to do that early in the mornig. :P
Old 2004-09-20, 22:15   Link #67
~ninjacowboy~

Send a message via AIM to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via MSN to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ninjacowboy~
LOL......thats what i did :P
but they never read all of it i think -.-
Old 2004-09-20, 22:19   Link #68
Kuja

Damn that sounds good!!!!! *runs off to write 50 letters*

-----------------------------------
Dear Dear Miss. or Mrs. Raboin,

You, 4Kids, and Fox can rot in hell.

Good day

This one sounds even better!!!!!
Old 2004-09-20, 22:20   Link #69
~ninjacowboy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja
Damn that sounds good!!!!! *runs off to write 50 letters*

Dear Dear Miss. or Mrs. Raboin,

You, 4Kids, and Fox can rot in hell.

Good day

This one sounds even better!!!!!
LOl ah the simplicty of it.
wonderful :O
Old 2004-09-20, 23:04   Link #70
NeoKakashi
Copy-Ninja NeoKakashi

Send a message via AIM to NeoKakashi
Zolo
Gum Gum Blast!
Cursed Fruit
They sound retarded when they say "One Piece" and end up saying "ONEpiece" with too much emphasis on the "One".
Koby's balls need to drop.
They CHANGED THE OPENING!

I could go on and on, but the point is, this dub sucks!
Old 2004-09-21, 01:28   Link #71
r1cE

IT IS HORRIBLE!!! they ruined one piece.........
Old 2004-09-21, 01:32   Link #72
Riese
Brutal Killer Math Logic

Send a message via ICQ to Riese
The 4K version of One Piece is designed to appeal to main stream people.

Somehow, I don't believe that most of the people who frequent these forums could really count as "main stream" anymore. The fact that you're willing to watch subtitles and not wait for the FCC filters to carve a series up suggests that.
Maybe some of you started out the "average" way seeing some anime on broadcast TV, feeling like there was more to it than what you saw and bothered to look a little further.

4K wants money and they sure noticed that anime can rake in the bucks.
Financially firebomb them-don't watch their stuff, don't shop at places advertised during the broadcast of One Piece and don't buy merchendise that will result in money going into 4K's pockets.

Simple as that.
Old 2004-09-21, 14:30   Link #73
dythim
dythim

Random things that popped up in this topic that need clarifying/correcting regarding Japanese version...

Gold Roger
His real name is Gol D. Roger. You hear Dr. Kureha say this in episode... 90? or 91? This is a fairly important fact, although it has yet to be truly expounded upon in terms of his relation to Luffy.

Marines
There is aboslutely no reference to the "Navy" made in One Piece, every scrap of equipment of the our loyal maritime defenders clearly has "MARINE" printed on it. The only reason this is confusing at all is if you look up 海軍 ("kaigun") in the dictionary, it will come up with the word "Navy" (kanji are literally "sea"+"military"). The post referring to this referenced the manga as the source, which probably indicates bad scanslations.

Opening Song
I have no freaking clue what happened to 4kids' english-ized "We Are" theme song. Sure at the time I didn't like it... but for the love of god bring it back.

Music
I heard that it would have been extremely expensive to license the sound track along with the series, possibly because of having to deal with the numerous individual groups that produced them. In this case, like the "Zorro" copyright protection, and the lack of any and all satanic/firearms references, I understand why they did it. But I will never support them for it and they can drown in a lake of the devil's piss in HELL for it.
Old 2004-09-21, 17:29   Link #74
Kuja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dythim
But I will never support them for it and they can drown in a lake of the devil's piss in HELL for it.
A fucking men!

I have a question. Will Fox take the series off the air if it gets bad ratings?
Old 2004-09-21, 18:57   Link #75
~ninjacowboy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja
A fucking men!

I have a question. Will Fox take the series off the air if it gets bad ratings?
knowing fox this will be it's only scerise :P
Old 2004-09-22, 01:14   Link #76
Kouji
StrykerX

Technically, yes. If you guys don't watch One Piece on Fox. Then the ratings will no doubt drop and it'll put a dent on 4Kids.
Old 2004-09-22, 15:38   Link #77
Steel Guardian

When I rewatched and slowed down the dub opening, I noticed a few things...

1. Ussop and Sanji did make a brief appearance in the opening...twice! Which meant that 4Kids was not worried about revealing them.

2. Like a previous poster stated above, Arlong was cut out of the second showing of the Villians.

3. Also in the second showing of the Villians, they DID manage edit Smoker, his mouth was just hanging open! I almost did not recognized him! I wish I could post a picture to you guys to prove it...but I don't know how!

4. Oddly, they showed Nami with a seductive smile and wink while stretching her shirt coller open. Why would they keep that? I think she did that somewhere in the Don Krieg Arc, but I forget what episode and why.
Old 2004-09-22, 17:29   Link #78
~ninjacowboy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Guardian
When I rewatched and slowed down the dub opening, I noticed a few things...

1. Ussop and Sanji did make a brief appearance in the opening...twice! Which meant that 4Kids was not worried about revealing them.

2. Like a previous poster stated above, Arlong was cut out of the second showing of the Villians.

3. Also in the second showing of the Villians, they DID manage edit Smoker, his mouth was just hanging open! I almost did not recognized him! I wish I could post a picture to you guys to prove it...but I don't know how!

4. Oddly, they showed Nami with a seductive smile and wink while stretching her shirt coller open. Why would they keep that? I think she did that somewhere in the Don Krieg Arc, but I forget what episode and why.
bercasue the wether is hot?
-.-
Old 2004-09-22, 22:16   Link #79
Jackl

I'll watch some parts of the Arlong arc when it gets there. Just to see how bad they're going to hack it up.

No death
No grave(Probably name is cross peak or something.)
No guns
No blood
No knives
Blunt swords(Sorry Zolo :/ )
Least they won't have to lie about the orange/tangerine farm.

Hmm let see, no bribe scene I bet.
Most certainly no "stabby myself in the arm."
Loads more no-nos.

Damn man, that series is going to have like 10 minute episodes after they get done with it.
Old 2004-09-22, 22:47   Link #80
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
4K wants money and they sure noticed that anime can rake in the bucks.
Financially firebomb them-don't watch their stuff, don't shop at places advertised during the broadcast of One Piece and don't buy merchendise that will result in money going into 4K's pockets.
But i want the plushies and video games and action figures!!! And if they dont get ratings will they even release the uncut version? No, they'll probably sit on the rights to the show forever like nickelodeon did with Zim. >_< im so conflicted!

Quote:
Oh yeah about that.....

Sanji Smoker

Notice anything in particular?
Closed Thread