AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-06, 14:42   Link #1
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (Live-eviL)

Hi,

as you may or may not know, L-E has just released episode one of an amazing epic story from 1976 called 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother. Before you dismiss it for being "old", please take note that it was directed by the legendary Isao Takahata, and Hayao Miyazaki also played a crucial role in its production. Between those two men are some of the greatest movies Japan has ever made, including Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and all of Studio Ghibli's productions.

Anyway, this is a story about a young boy's desire and will to reach his mother who is across the ocean on an entirely different continent. it has been dubbed and aired on TV in some South American countries, and was aired in Germany under the title Tschau Tschau Marco. Please give it a shot!

Anyway, what do you all think of the show and l-e's job subtitling it? ^^;;

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 14:53   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

A start for Americans to see World Masterpiece Theater animes.

"Haha o Tazunete 3000ri" is one of the most beautiful series created, paling only to "Alps no Shoujo Heidi" and "Flanders no Inu."

But sadly, with what I have perused over in this board, "old anime will just get dismissed as old anime."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 15:02   Link #3
Kaizoku Luffy

Thanks a lot!
Anything Miyazaki or Takahata related is good in my book, don't really care about it's age. There's enough good old anime out there.

Anyway, for those looking for a little bit more info, these are some usefull things Animenewsnetwork.com had to say:

Quote:
Number of episodes: 52

Vintage: 1976-01-04 to 1976-12-26

Theme Music:
ED: "Kaasan Ohayou" by Kumiko Oosugi
OP: "Sougen no Marco" by Kumiko Oosugi

Director: Isao Takahata
Scenario: Kazuo Fukazawa
Character Design: Yôichi Kotabe
Art director: Takashi Mukuo
Animation director: Yôichi Kotabe
Continuity & layout: Hayao Miyazaki
Music: Kôichi Sakata
Theme Song Performance: Kumiko Ousugi (OP + ED)
Guess I'll be downloading yet another one of your series
Kaizoku Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 15:14   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

If people are going to watch this because it is done by Takahata Isao and Miyazaki Hayao, then great. But it's also disappointing for me that they only willing to watch this because of the "brand name makers" that were involved...

I was watching this as a child, and left a lifelong impression on me. This, along with "Flanders no Inu" were such a great story made by the makers of Nippon Animation, that emotionally, is etched into my mind as one of the greatest classics of anime ever made.

From Marco's mother leaving Genova for Buenos Aires, to the reunion of the Peppino Stage Plays...though it was a rerun when I watched it, was a favorite anime that kept to its word till the very end.

So, please watch this. Trust me - it is definitely one of the best animes ever made.

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-02-06 at 16:37.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 15:27   Link #5
a7m4

Projects like this are why Live-eviL is by far my favorite fansub group!

I would be downloading this series, but I just bought both 3000 Miles in Search of Mother R3 DVD box sets with English subtitles.

Thanks to Live-eviL for subbing such great classic anime! Now when are you going to get started on Galaxy Express 999? :P *shakes in anticipation*
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 15:31   Link #6
Tofusensei

Hehe, sometime this weekend

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-06, 15:41   Link #7
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Hehe, sometime this weekend

-Tofu
And here I am still waiting for the translation of "Kaze to ki no uta". Yakusoku deshita noni. T_T
Kotonoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 15:43   Link #8
Tofusensei

BTW, the song I picked for the end notes & credits section wasn't just picked because it's pretty. The lyrics really fit the mood of the first episode, and here is a link to a decent translation of it if anyone is interested...

http://theeternalmind.sterlingsylver...cs/yubiwa.html

Also, the lyrics from the little 15 second intro also fit the show pretty well. I'll do my best quick translation right now for you guys...

chikutaku susumu sanpomichi
achikochi susunde mayawanu you ni
konpasu motte furarurara

Tick, tock, keep walking on this road.
Keep moving here and there, but don't get lost.
Make sure to bring your compass, fulalulala~

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-06, 15:50   Link #9
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha
And here I am still waiting for the translation of "Kaze to ki no uta". Yakusoku deshita noni. T_T
Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, I promise I'll finish it! I was out of the country ;____;

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-06, 15:54   Link #10
Kaizoku Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
If people are going to watch this because it is done by Takahata Isao and Miyazaki Hayao, then great. But it's also disappointing for me that they only willing to watch this because of the "brand name makers" that were involved...
I understand what you're saying, but if that's what it takes to make people watch it, why not? I'd probably download it anyway, since Live-eviL has a tendency to sub great series. It's the same for the Rose of Versailles and Yawara.
Knowing that Takahata and Miyazaki worked on this anime is just an extra reason to download it.
Kaizoku Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 16:06   Link #11
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
But sadly, with what I have perused over in this board, "old anime will just get dismissed as old anime."
Really?

I'm more likely to download old anime. The older shows are usually much better then the newer shows.

With a recomendation from Tofu *and* kj1980 it must be a great show.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 16:17   Link #12
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, I promise I'll finish it! I was out of the country ;____;
/me sees a new light. *happy dances*
And now I should go dl this new show.
Kotonoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 16:27   Link #13
Breogan
Umeboshi

Quote:
Hi, as you may or may not know, L-E has just released episode one of an amazing epic story from 1976 called 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother. Before you dismiss it for being "old", please take note that it was directed by the legendary Isao Takahata, and Hayao Miyazaki also played a crucial role in its production. Between those two men are some of the greatest movies Japan has ever made, including Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and all of Studio Ghibli's productions.

Anyway, this is a story about a young boy's desire and will to reach his mother who is across the ocean on an entirely different continent. it has been dubbed and aired on TV in some South American countries, and was aired in Germany under the title Tschau Tschau Marco. Please give it a shot!
Woah, now that's nostalgic... I remember watching this (it was called "Marco, from the Apenines to the Andes" here in Spain) when I was pretty little.
Many thanks for rescuing this little treasure from the past
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 17:07   Link #14
a7m4

What?! Live-eviL is going to sub Kaze to ki no uta too? I almost ordered the Technogirls VHS fansub of that the other day.

*a7m4 bows to Tofusensei
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 17:09   Link #15
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
What?! Live-eviL is going to sub Kaze to ki no uta too? I almost ordered the Technogirls VHS fansub of that the other day.

*a7m4 bows to Tofusensei
Don't bow to me! Bow to Kotonoha, I'm just the lazy translator who hasn't finished yet, hehe

-Tofu
Old 2004-02-06, 18:06   Link #16
wao
OK.

OMG Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you tofusensei..... O___O

I ALWAYS wanted to watch this anime. I've read a fair amount of synopses and it just seemed so good. I also love old anime. So I was watching out for this one and when I saw it on Animesuki I knew I just HAD to get it. ^^

Thank you so much! I wish there were more World Masterpiece Theater subs out around... (if they aren't licensed?)
And great job too. \o/
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 18:22   Link #17
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Thank you so much! I wish there were more World Masterpiece Theater subs out around... (if they aren't licensed?)
Did you get "Akage no An" from the AnimeSuki site? Also, if you are backwards-compatible with VHS, The Techno-Girls have subbed "Romeo's Blue Skies" and you might be able to find a link on this page to someone who will copy and send tapes to you for a nominal fee.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 18:54   Link #18
Zyan

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the torrent link for 3000 leagues searching for mother. It's been so long since I last saw it....1970s. Could not even remember most of the anime.

Thank you, Live Evil, for bringing back the memories. Now off to download it.
Zyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 20:41   Link #19
mirichan

Quote:
So, please watch this. Trust me - it is definitely one of the best animes ever made.
Don't worry...

Some will (I've already downloaded it and I'm starting the watching now ^_~). Maybe not many people will want to watch it because, as you said, it's old... but oh well, I'm old too, so...!
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 20:46   Link #20
kuru

Great source of info about World Masterpiece Theater

The best information source in english about World Masterpiece Theater (that includes 3000 Miles in Search of Mother) is Benjamin Ettinger's site

Sub Rosa - Rare and Literary Anime

On the site, click on DB and you'll see a list of World Masterpiece Theater series. Select a series and you'll se information about it.

BTW, Benjamin Ettinger is the man that translated the entire Romeo's Blue Skies series for Technogirls (the only WMT ever fully subbed in english).

People in European countries are much more familiar with WMT, as many series were broadcasted there. Some series were also shown in Latin American countries. Some series can be found on DVD in Europe, usually only dubbed unfortunately. One that was recently released with a Japanese sound track and subs is the last WMT series ever made: Homeless Girl Hemi. It's being released in Italy right now as
Remy - La Bambina Senza Famiglia

They're usually very, very good. I wish more of them would get more fansubs. Another WMT that got some episodes (16 to be exact) on tape were Tico and Nanami (or Tico of the 7 Seas) that was fansubbed by the Neko Creations (the fansub group that originally did the Yawara fansubs whose scripts Live Evil is using). Maybe Live Evil could be the same thing (fansub it based on the Neko scripts) as those scripts also seen to be available for download.

3000 Miles in Search of Mother:

Romeo's Blue Skies:

Little Princess Sara

Heidi, Girl of the Alps

Homeless Girl Remi (Ie naki ko Remi/Remi the Homeless Girl/ Nobody's girl)

Little Women:

Jo's Boys:

Katri, Girl of the Meadows

Anne of Green Gables

Daddy Long Legs

Tico and Nanami

as I don't like the Tico and Nanami DVD covers, here is a CD cover that gives a better image of the show actual visual

There are others, of course.

Last edited by kuru; 2004-02-06 at 21:06.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote