AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 05:24   Link #21
martino
makes no files now

Nice stuff. I actually wanted to ask about this feature, but kind of forgot about it. Thanks Cats and the ASuki team!

How about CCCP Support Staff (or something like that)? Since some of the CCCP people very often help out in the Playback section.
Old 2007-04-17, 05:41   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
IIRC, it's also possible to have special (sub)forums, which are only accessible/visible by members of special groups.
Maybe it's also something to think about. (I could imagine Avatar makers wanting to discuss their skills, which probably wouldn't interest others much)
It is possible, we just aren't likely to implement special closed forums for our "special" members.

Quote:
BTW, two other Groups which could be useful:
  • One group for those, who are busy maintaining the main site, adding new torrents and renaming or removing old ones.
  • One for those providing mirrors
That is about what we use the feature for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Well, I dont really know all the details regarding this new feature, but I am hoping is not going to be like the hidden rep. option, were you are actually left with a black dot (mark) regardless of your reason for hidden it in the first place.

That is, if I decide to not join a group, I am hoping it doesn't leave a mark on my posts saying so. >_< !!
Um. No. It would simply not have an additional label. And I imagine that many people won't bother to join a group so you'll have lots of company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
How about CCCP Support Staff (or something like that)? Since some of the CCCP people very often help out in the Playback section.
I doubt we'd support the CCCP that specifically. Though perhaps they would like to join the IT Support Group.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 06:11   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually I found your suggestion to be absolutely fascinating and immediately started a discussion in the mod forum about how best to implement it. Cool idea. It would be extremely helpful for newcomers to know who is a fansubber or who loves to photoshop banners. There are many times when that information would change how people are perceived and responded to. It would also make it a lot easier to be a newbie who doesn't know anyone yet.

You'll probably see this implemented sometime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Absolutely 100% optional. It is just a way for you to choose to clique and identify yourselves. If you have no interest, then just don't join a public group.

We're thinking of having it list the title under your name that best describes you. You can join groups like Fansubber, Photshopper, Artist and choose one of them as your identity. It will then list the primary group under your username though your profile will show all the groups you've chosen to belong to. Your posts will look something like this:

Though it might be implemented slightly differently. Obviously IRC Team and Staff Team would not be available as public groups.

Can anyone suggest any other groups that we might want to implement? So far I'm only thinking of Fansubber, Photoshopper, IT Group and Artist. What else should we include? Would Fanfic Writer be popular?

That's an interesting request. I can definitely see why you might want it, but I'm not sure we want to fill every tiny niche. I think you should have to decide if you still want to be identified as a fansubber even though you are no longer actively participating in the activity.
You might not want to devide it too much.. for say I have skills in Flash and InDesign does that mean there's some sort of need for such devisions to exist... I still think of myself as a Photoshoper. Even if I'm more into vectors then raster graphics. You could add Graphic Designer... if Photoshoper is too Photoshop related. (I'm guessing Graphic designer fits for 3d-modler etc.)

Also things like Avy/Sig Maker are too close to a ranking system for Photoshoper. Bad idea IMO, people will always say they're a Photoshopper as primary anyways.

---------------------
Is there really a point to Ex-Fansubber, if you spent that much time that you would call yourself that I don't see why it would be wrong to just call yourself Fansubber.

I think it's better to think of groups Not as something you excell at but something you're into. If you're a n00b or pro, current or former participant, or <insert other ranking criteria here> there shouldn't be a problem for you to belong to Group X

Fansubber
Scanlator
IT Group
Artist
Graphic Designer
Webdesigner

..maybe, so everyone can have a group:
Shounen Fan
Slice of Life Fan
Comedy Fan
Fantasy Fan
Horror Fan
Romance Fan
Sci-fi Fan
Adventure Fan
Mecha Fan
Action Fan
...etc. (tho' I think I got them all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think it is interessting, that you (the mods in general) didn't think of this yourself. It would have been one the first thing I implemented, if I had a forum.

IIRC, it's also possible to have special (sub)forums, which are only accessible/visible by members of special groups.
Maybe it's also something to think about. (I could imagine Avatar makers wanting to discuss their skills, which probably wouldn't interest others much)
I think it's somewhat of a blessing.
Adding groups is nice since you can knows who's who by looking at who's in the group, but it's also bad. It basicly means people have to pass some sort of barier before they can post. The only scenario were this is a good is when you want to create a place only for 'professional' sorta speak.

Trust me it's ugly when you have to go thru' a registration faze 100times in a forum.
Old 2007-04-17, 20:11   Link #24
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Is there really a point to Ex-Fansubber, if you spent that much time that you would call yourself that I don't see why it would be wrong to just call yourself Fansubber.
I'd say that a good majority of the fansubber communtiy is very pride-based. If you see someone claiming to be something that they aren't, it's almost hurtful to your pride, because they're making light of something that you consider to be very important. Sure, I put 2+ years into fansubbing, but out of respect for those currently fansubbing, I probably wouldn't list myself as a fansubber. I do want credit from the community for the work I put in, but it'd probably confuse some users and earn me a flaming or two from active fansubbers. Not that I care for that last reason much, but I think everything else is relatively valid.

I could understand not wanting to implement it, of course. Especially if there's a concern that we'll have too many groups. Hopefully that clears it up a bit, though. It wasn't a case of asking for stuff that pertains specifically to me ("wireless keyboard users" or "dual monitor users" or "people with Hello Kitty somewhere on their computer chassis" being examples of that).

I do like the overall idea, though. Hopefully the groups won't be too narrowed-down, but they also won't be so broad that people don't feel fairly represented by those that do apply to them.
Old 2007-04-18, 01:29   Link #25
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ledgem... You have a very good point. ^^
Old 2007-04-18, 23:01   Link #26
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Cats - If I had to choose b/t a header to go along with my name, I wouldn't want fan along with it. I think another word would be better. (no ideas at the moment)

ps: Listening to Rurutia ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:28   Link #27
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Five public user groups are now available. You can join as many as you like but you are only allowed to nominate one to be your "display" group.

(And yes, you are also free to ignore them... Daniel E. )
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:02   Link #28
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
(And yes, you are also free to ignore them... Daniel E. )
I'll have to admit that I feel a bit strange for being against the flow on this one.
Old 2007-04-24, 09:33   Link #29
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

What is the different between artist and graphic designer group?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 09:43   Link #30
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Using the terms generally you could argue that there is no difference. Technically a graphic designer is an artist (in my estimation at least), but an artist doesn't need to be a graphic designer.

However, in the context of these forums, I'm assuming the later term is for those who manipulate existing works to form something new (signature creators, avatar creators, wallpaper creators, etc.) often by request, while the former is for those who create works of art, possibly fan art, with no particular purpose other than to look nice. Normally from raw materials, real or digital, such as blank page, pencil, pen, ink, etc.
Old 2007-04-24, 09:53   Link #31
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Ah so .. Another question .. why am my group title display in cyan color while Riker.. who are also in GD group, are black?

I feel *very* special non the less

edit : Oh shi- .. Now im no special anymore ;-;
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 10:28   Link #32
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

That would be because I changed the title styling a bit just before you posted. Unfortunately it isn't possible to update the setting for everyone, in one go, without heavily loading the forum... so it gets updated when you change your group settings or when you post. In the meantime there will be a little bit of inconsistency.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
So black isn't a group identification color?!
Nope... but I'm happy to consider other colours or styling, if all the group's members can come to a consensus about the alternative...

The "bullets" we have uploaded so far are: and obviously.

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-04-24 at 10:38.
Old 2007-04-24, 10:30   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Mmm..
So black isn't a group identification color?!
Edit: Upssy.. didn't see NightWish's post..
Old 2007-04-24, 10:53   Link #34
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
wow this is quite a cool idea nice one cats :3
(tho i do feel that im not worthy of the title yet ~ and photoshopping doesnt seem to mean graphics designer to me O.o or that could just be me...)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 12:02   Link #35
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
The color is rather nice, nice sky blue/light blue tone ^^.

ps: You have to be a senior member to get a title, correct?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 14:36   Link #36
cyth
Banned

Well, there's also one other very distinctive breed of users on this forum that we forgot to mention: News reporters. I may have not used the best term to describe them, but there are users like eggplant, NeoSam, and others who take extensive interests in knowing and reporting first-hour anime/manga/etc. news on this forum.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 17:23   Link #37
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

A good point. Maybe if we can figure out what to call the categorization we might implement it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
ps: You have to be a senior member to get a title, correct?
Nope. We might think about chaning that later so that a certain number of posts are necessary, but for now even a zero post member can call themselves a fansubber or artist. I'm not really sure why we'd want to change that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-04-24, 20:28   Link #38
steelbound
Yuki-ism

Just saw some people using these and thought this was a great idea.

Was thinking of a few more groups:

Image sleuth: people like Maids! Maids! Maids! who always post tons of pics
News hound: people who hunt for the breaking news
Avatar/Sig maker: as opposed to graphic designer
Banner Winner: for people who have won one of the banner contests

I think it would be cool if members of the sub groups could have their sub group listed.

For fans of a type of anime it could be " [heart] Mecha", " [heart] Slice of Life", " [heart] Sci-fi", etc.
Old 2007-04-25, 04:45   Link #39
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

We had an actual discussion of "Avatar/Sig Maker" vs "Graphic Designer" vs "Photoshopper" in this thread. Go back and read it if you want to know how "Graphic Designer" won.

News Hound: I'm not sure this is the best title for those folks, but if someone can figure out what to call them we'll probably make the group.

Image Sleuth: Interesting. I'll think about it. Can anyone come up with a better title?

Old 2007-04-25, 06:10   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

How about Community Memeber for both...
And make it something that people just can't choose, but is awarded, for those that are just exceptionally helpfull or active on the forums. What do you think..