AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-12, 20:16   Link #1
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

SaGa Frontier

Did anyone else here play this game and actually like it?

I love it, but it seems pretty much everyone who played it completely hated it...
Arkenryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 02:35   Link #2
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

I loved this game. The battle system was simply great especially with the combos. Music was great as well. Asellus and Red's story was awesome. Emelia's was decent as well. Just that the other storys won't really that good to me.
Old 2009-09-13, 02:37   Link #3
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkenryu View Post
Did anyone else here play this game and actually like it?

I love it, but it seems pretty much everyone who played it completely hated it...
Yeah, it's probably my favourite PlayStation RPG overall.

SaGa Frontier was immensely popular in Japan (although not anywhere else....the same can be said for most SaGa games), so I wouldn't say that everyone hated it.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 03:08   Link #4
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm one of the biggest SaGa fan out there... barring Persona, it's my favourite RPG series to date. And SaGa Frontier is right behind Minstrel Song (and Last Remnant if you count it) for my favourite SaGa game I've played.

Just too bad they had to cut out the gun guy's story. That said, I still remember Alkaiser theme (he was that awesome... I mean, he was the first tokatsu kind of superhero I got to play as in an RPG), and the pwnage a fully powered Bleu gives (Overdrive into multiple Life Sprinklers was soo cheesy lol).

And one thing I love about SaGa games are the many wazas you can use. One particular I am fond of is the ice-moon-flower technique, and it existed here as three separate katana techs that only ever comboed with each IIRC. Not particularly powerful (the best katana was sadly underpowered if I'm not mistaken), but I love the theme and flavour of the technique.

SaGa Frontier 2 though, for me, was a let down. I dunno... it didn't have the SaGa charm of free roaming where you want to go, exploring new lands and places along the way, and getting your butt handed to you because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time lol.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 06:38   Link #5
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

Yeah, the second Frontier game felt like such a let down for me too; it just didn't feel the same as the first.
Old 2009-09-13, 08:23   Link #6
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I borrowed the game from my friend last time just to play as Red and Alkaiser. I returned the game after getting Re-Al-Phoenix and completing the story.

And yes I still whistle the Alkaiser theme all the time.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 06:20   Link #7
AnimeFangirl

I only played SF2, though I've been thinking about SF1 lately. But I've started SF2 three times, each time I think it's a fantastic game, I'm having a great time and then as soon as Gustave snuffs it I completely lose interest. *sigh* What a waste of a brilliant character.
Old 2009-09-14, 08:03   Link #8
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

hmmmm why SF II a bad game? I really like it's storyline and I do once wander to a wrong place and get owned(haven't saved for over an hour too lol). I agree with Gustave being the most awesome character in SF II and his story is extremely interesting(raise from nothing to a big conqueror), while Wil story is the usual adventurer hero type. It's kinda interesting though how you play through 3 generations and your choice will affect how the town will be for the later generation. Definitely loved it, but the last boss was hard as hell(still remember died like 15 times trying and finally beating it by luck).
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 11:02   Link #9
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

It's not that I didn't like SF2, I just liked SF1 more.
Old 2009-09-15, 00:17   Link #10
FateAnomaly

Ah nostalgia. Makes me feel like playing it again. I liked both SaGa 1 and 2 as well but i played 1 more than 2. My favourite story is T260G's story. I remember trying to make a team of 5 robots. It didn't work too well lol. Second is Blue's. The story itself is not great but i like the fact that he can use all magic. Riki's comes next. I never really understood how to train monsters though.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 00:21   Link #11
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For me, the SaGa series stood out ever since Makaitoshi SaGa (aka. Final Fantasy Legend 1) because of its 'sandbox' kind of feel, with the ability to make your party with practically anyone (or at least have a huge amount of options that it felt like it can be anyone)

Take that away, and SaGa would be just your generic RPG. That's why I find SaGa 3 and SF2 to be weakest of the series, personally, because these two games practically chuck them out of the window. Granted, these two games probably appeal to the masses more BECAUSE they play more like your typical RPG, but for me who plays a lot of RPGs, another generic take isn't going to cut it. But then again, I've never played Romancing SaGa 2 (AFAIK never got translated), and people say that is actually the best of the series. :shrug:
Old 2009-09-15, 00:56   Link #12
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

but the latest SAGa game in Ps2 is bad >.<. The story isn't captivating anymore, the artwork is ugly, and the gameplay is a hassle.
Old 2009-09-15, 04:09   Link #13
AnimeFangirl

Speaking of all this, there's a remake of the first Saga game coming out for the DS next month, right?
Old 2009-09-15, 12:22   Link #14
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Speaking of all this, there's a remake of the first Saga game coming out for the DS next month, right?
Actually, it's a remake of the second SaGa game; SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu.

It's coming out in two days.
Old 2009-09-15, 12:47   Link #15
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
but the latest SAGa game in Ps2 is bad >.<. The story isn't captivating anymore, the artwork is ugly, and the gameplay is a hassle.
SaGa had a 'captivating' story? Apart from SaGa 3 and SF2, you practically made the majority of the story in your head. Seriously, in-game story (along with in-game character development) is anything but SaGa's strong point. O_o

(As a side note, this is the reason why I like the SaGa series for the most part. Because the plot and characters are pretty much blank slates, you can roleplay them out-of-the-game however you want. Which I like, as someone who has experience doing PnP RPGs.)

Artwork is up to tastes, so can't argue there. I personally loved the background artwork though... I particularly still remember clearly how jaw-dropping it was climbing up the stairs of light, as an example.

And I certainly disagree with with Minstrel Song's gameplay to be a hassle. If anything, the entire removal of the MP/JP/WP system actually made it more fun, since you're able to spam all you're most powerful techs as long as you had the BP (which you did at end game) and DP (which can be mitigated to zero consumption), without worrying about conserving resources for the boss fight.
Old 2009-09-15, 16:30   Link #16
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

I actually bought The Essence and The Complete of SaGa Frontier...

...Too bad I can't read Japanese

I've also got almost 1700 fan art pictures <_<
Old 2009-09-15, 16:32   Link #17
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

Saga 2 remake coming out tomorrow

I like the PSX versions, but the GB "Legend" series were always my favorites (with 2 being my first real rpg I played as a kid)

So much awesome, gonna make me a robot or slime main character and have that awkward opening scene where your dad is still human no matter what ^_^;;
Old 2009-09-15, 23:14   Link #18
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
SaGa had a 'captivating' story? Apart from SaGa 3 and SF2, you practically made the majority of the story in your head. Seriously, in-game story (along with in-game character development) is anything but SaGa's strong point. O_o

(As a side note, this is the reason why I like the SaGa series for the most part. Because the plot and characters are pretty much blank slates, you can roleplay them out-of-the-game however you want. Which I like, as someone who has experience doing PnP RPGs.)

Artwork is up to tastes, so can't argue there. I personally loved the background artwork though... I particularly still remember clearly how jaw-dropping it was climbing up the stairs of light, as an example.

And I certainly disagree with with Minstrel Song's gameplay to be a hassle. If anything, the entire removal of the MP/JP/WP system actually made it more fun, since you're able to spam all you're most powerful techs as long as you had the BP (which you did at end game) and DP (which can be mitigated to zero consumption), without worrying about conserving resources for the boss fight.
Hmmm, maybe this is why I think the one in PS2 is not good enough since the one I like the most is SF2. I like my game to have a storyline, even't if the main character seems not involved in the storyline at all, but the one in PS2 is like quest after quest after quest and it becomes boring after a while(part of the reason why I hate Monster Hunter series too)

I agree with Artwork is up to taste.

The reason it is a hassle is the lack of tutorial. In SF2(The last Saga I remembered)At least they have some kind of tutorial in some early part of the battle, but not so on the Ps2 one. I'm left wandering around trying to find how to get new skills, etc. etc. That's why I think it's a hassle. But I guess it also differs from person to person. Some people might like it for its complexity, but I prefer games to be more user friendly(every system is explained in the game itself, not in some kind of guide book or instruction book).
Old 2009-09-17, 12:22   Link #19
ShapetheSky

I finished that game...back in the day, all seven characters! X_x
Nowadays I wonder whether I had a masochistic streak as a teenager, this game was just crazy hard and to be honest, I think Saga games don't have the most comfortable engine Especially grinding and stuff is more of a chore than fun...x_X

But I loved the atmosphere of the scenario and the locations. There should be more RPGs that have such kinds of settings.
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 22:05   Link #20
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

Bumping this topic, because this game doesn't get enough love