AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 17 23.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 14.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 30.99%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.68%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 5.63%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-06, 13:16   Link #81
maximilianjenus
[E]

This was written by the people who wrote kiminozo, right ? if so I cna stand the switch to harem just fine, since kiminozo was one of the nom-harems that i have liked the most along with key's stuff.

So yeah, while I agree that losing the zombie-apocalypse-with-aliens feelning is kind of a letdown, I am willing to change into harem as long as it's as good as kiminozo.
Old 2012-08-06, 14:21   Link #82
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It was really too much of a fan service episode to my taste, then again that was probably mandatory from a franchise that has a whole spin off almost entirely based ont that.

I agree that TE doesn't really make you feel like there's a planetary war going on where humanity as a whole is losing with the risk of total extinction. Yui is probably the only character that seems to remember that, but I think it'd be best to show the same concern and worry from those guys who actually have their countries currently occupied by a swarm of human-eating beasts.

Anyway the worst part to me was seeing Yui hurting herself just like that. Is she a badass soldier or a damsel in distress? If this was a survival test she would have pathetically lost it.

And she is an imperial guard no less.

"You've brought shame upon yourself, Takamura Yui! You should commit seppuku!"

Just kidding, but still... I suppose that was "necessary" to show her cute side.

Old 2012-08-06, 14:24   Link #83
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It was really too much of a fan service episode to my taste, then again that was probably mandatory from a franchise that has a whole spin off almost entirely based ont that.
I'm still amused that an anime which has characters walking around in skin-tight suits half of the time felt there was a need for a beach episode...
Old 2012-08-06, 14:43   Link #84
LeoXiao
思想工作

lol...Yui gets injured by falling on some sand? I thought she was a badass pliot of super-hard-to-fly Japanese TSFs?

I hope they don't waste another ep on the island. How long is this series going to be anyhow?
Old 2012-08-06, 14:44   Link #85
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm still amused that an anime which has characters walking around in skin-tight suits half of the time felt there was a need for a beach episode...
It was an obligatory beach episode.

Besides, this episode was probably one of the few best chances to see a side of characters we don't usually see.
Old 2012-08-06, 14:46   Link #86
maximilianjenus
[E]

Yeah, this has been the episode with the less revealing clothes overall; I know the quality and maybe the censorship detracts from it, but remember that those suits are supossed to be very transparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
lol...Yui gets injured by falling on some sand? I thought she was a badass pliot of super-hard-to-fly Japanese TSFs?

I hope they don't waste another ep on the island. How long is this series going to be anyhow?
twenty something episodes.

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2012-08-06 at 14:47. Reason: length
Old 2012-08-06, 14:54   Link #87
Arya

This episode I guess/hope was intentionally out of line. I mean, VG going in peep mode told immediately how far they chose to go with this episode.
If I had to say something, I agree that the way Yui twisted her ankle was nonsensical, she was standing beside the dinghy (?) (the boat) and suddenly she fell, pushed by the wind? And the interest she showed with dat first question was a bit out of the blue, given how tsun/bitchy she has been until then. I also was expecting a personal question about his grudge against the Japanese culture more than that.
But anyways I liked the episode, so I have no real complains. Also the show is based on those two guys so it was time that they got a move on.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:16   Link #88
Destined_Fate

Quote:

I agree that TE doesn't really make you feel like there's a planetary war going on where humanity as a whole is losing with the risk of total extinction. Yui is probably the only character that seems to remember that, but I think it'd be best to show the same concern and worry from those guys who actually have their countries currently occupied by a swarm of human-eating beasts.

Anyway the worst part to me was seeing Yui hurting herself just like that. Is she a badass soldier or a damsel in distress? If this was a survival test she would have pathetically lost it.

And she is an imperial guard no less.

"You've brought shame upon yourself, Takamura Yui! You should commit seppuku!"

Just kidding, but still... I suppose that was "necessary" to show her cute side.
Soldiers aren't invincible. Don't forget that after she sprained her ankle(most likely twisting it by how she fell) she was still able to pull that lifeboat and didn't collapse until after carrying Cryska around for a bit with Yuuya.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:22   Link #89
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'm not arguing that they are supposed to be invincible, I'm arguing that they aren't supposed to be be that clumsy.

Old 2012-08-06, 15:23   Link #90
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I agree that the way Yui twisted her ankle was nonsensical, she was standing beside the dinghy (?) (the boat) and suddenly she fell, pushed by the wind?
Nonsensical how, exactly? It doesn't take a lot to sprain/twist one's ankle; simply getting pushed back and landing on one's ankle is enough. In Yui's case, she had to lug the boat with Yuuya to shore, and let me tell you; those things are heavy as sin. It takes a lot of concentration and effort to move one of those. And I don't see anything weird by her getting hit by a strong gust of wing; it is storming in that area, after all. Not to mention that she was only wearing sandals, which have no protection against such accidents.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:25   Link #91
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The problem is that considering how she fell (the motion), it is even more weird to see her sprain her ankle.
If she somehow fell hard on her back, leading to another injury fine, but the way how she fell that lead to a sprained ankle looked really goofy, for a lack of better words.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:30   Link #92
Destined_Fate

Eh, I've seen people at Boot Camp sprain their ankles far more easily so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that they are supposed to be invincible, I'm arguing that they aren't supposed to be be that clumsy.
Didn't you see how exhausted the both of them were? Yui didn't have a good hold on the life boat so she fell over and twisted/sprained her ankle, Yuuya on the other hand did have a good hold so he didn't fall over. That and she was still wearing her sandals while Yuuya was barefoot which makes a difference.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:35   Link #93
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is that considering how she fell (the motion), it is even more weird to see her sprain her ankle.
If she somehow fell hard on her back, leading to another injury fine, but the way how she fell that lead to a sprained ankle looked really goofy, for a lack of better words.
We weren't shown enough of that for us to be able to say whether or not the motion was weird or goofy.

Actually, after watching the scene again, it's quite clear that she fell on to her left leg, which is all it takes to sprain an ankle.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:39   Link #94
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well instead of a problem with the writing wouldn't it be more apt to say its a problem with the animators? Who lets get real have been quite below par for this entire series so far. I mentioned it last episode but the main thing holding back this show for me has been QUALITY. So many off model character shots, the mecha action is not that well done (lacks choreography and looks too clunky with its badly implemented CGI).

Really any fall can cause an ankle sprain, you just have to roll it over as you fall and it's extremely easy to do so. Better visual effort would've focused on how she fell instead of making it look like she simply fell on her butt.

I'm not really sure if there really is such a big tonal issue with the show, isn't that part of the conflict between Yuuya (Someone who hasn't been on the front lines) and Yui (Someone who has). One character is clearly more intense about everything and the other more lackadaisical. You always see these kinds of things in war stories, the soldier who isn't taking everything seriously enough until they're forced to confront the front lines.

Not that I don't hope they don't start fighting some beta again soon, but this is just a testing grounds they're at. Why would everyone be extremely intense? I guess what they could do better is provide more global information about the ongoing situation to remind us better that we're fighting the beta, that much I can agree with.

--

Anyways as for the episode itself. Beach episodes (and things of their type) typically are really boring and are used as preludes to more serious stuff down the road. At the very least this managed to go in a different direction towards its second half and actually provide some decent character exposition/bonding. Like others I wish they didn't have to use a really stupid beach setup to do it though. Marketing takes precedence I guess and you gotta get dem girls in swim suits.

Still as far as beach episodes go it could've been far more degrading and insulting.
Old 2012-08-06, 15:41   Link #95
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
ive sprained mine when i went and miscouned the nomber of steps thier were before and i didnt feel the sprian till the next day when i got up but im to stuburn and ended up walking on it the entire day
Old 2012-08-06, 16:17   Link #96
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Nonsensical how, exactly? It doesn't take a lot to sprain/twist one's ankle; simply getting pushed back and landing on one's ankle is enough. In Yui's case, she had to lug the boat with Yuuya to shore, and let me tell you; those things are heavy as sin. It takes a lot of concentration and effort to move one of those. And I don't see anything weird by her getting hit by a strong gust of wing; it is storming in that area, after all. Not to mention that she was only wearing sandals, which have no protection against such accidents.
Well, I'm not arguing on how difficult is twisting an ankle, but more on the way Yui fell, as Klashikari said. She apparently fell on her back, or so it seemed to me while watching, so later on discovering she twisted her ankle didn't match up with that. But it's more a matter of bad animation, as Reckoner pointed out. Not a big issue anyways.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-08-06, 16:28   Link #97
tsunade666

The whole second part and near end leave me a grin on my face

Love triangle? or square with Inia as bonus.
Old 2012-08-06, 16:37   Link #98
maximilianjenus
[E]

Inia and cryska are one and the same, you can't get one without getting the other... or so I like to think.
Old 2012-08-06, 16:51   Link #99
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
She apparently fell on her back, or so it seemed to me while watching, so later on discovering she twisted her ankle didn't match up with that. But it's more a matter of bad animation, as Reckoner pointed out. Not a big issue anyways.
Here's (somewhat NSFW) a screenshot of her falling. She's not falling back, but to the left. We don't even know that she ended up on her back; she could've very well fallen on her side, and just rolled onto her back before sitting up. The animation isn't at fault.
Old 2012-08-06, 17:07   Link #100
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Okay. Point is - she slipped and sprained her ankle as she fell. The rest doesn't really matter, I personally didn't see anything wrong with the animation the first time I saw it. We're spending way too much time on this...
Closed Thread