My moe is Yakumo!

Swt
Go go robin flahsback!
Titanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 02:55   Link #483
chitgoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch87
well.. the flashback ends very well and very dramatic IMO.... this middle part was probably the most boring part. Just wait till next episodes (will be a two parter) it will be awesome.

p.s. the flashback is more about robin and her pain than the world govt and stuff like that. that stuff is side stuff thrown in for fluff... like i said the next episode has the meat of the flashbacks importance.

at least robin's the last flashback we'll ever see.. all crews of strawhat have had their flashbacks... so finally.. on with the fights...!!!
chitgoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 05:45   Link #484
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitgoks
at least robin's the last flashback we'll ever see.. all crews of strawhat have had their flashbacks... so finally.. on with the fights...!!!
uhm... i doubt that...

lets think about how much we saw of each character...

-luffy met shanks as a kid

-zoro trained at a dojo

-sanji was hungry

-chopper studied alot

-nami was held "captive"

-ussop's mom died

theres surely much more in the past that they have yet to mention... itll come in time...
S_C_L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 18:05   Link #485
tidus0728

Quote:
-luffy met shanks as a kid

-zoro trained at a dojo

-sanji was hungry

-chopper studied alot

-nami was held "captive"

-ussop's mom died
you forgot Franky (if he is indeed 8th member)

-Franky got kicked out by his parents of a ship, got hit by a train, wore swimsuit even then... what else was ther?
tidus0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 20:40   Link #486
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I'm rather certain that we'll see more of Luffy's past some day. I think that if we knew more about him, it would be a spoiler for the future.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 21:36   Link #487
Dual247

yeah, i can definitely see more flashbacks for luffy in the future. especially ones that might relate to his name "D". all we've seen so far are simply about how he got the DF powers and his relationship to shanks. more of his background is definitely gonna pop up later i would think.

man, i still haven't been able to see this episode yet. those that have seen it sure are lucky. man, just more waiting.
Dual247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 22:09   Link #488
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Every major arc, one way or another, has explored the background of all of Luffy's current crew. So, I think it's about time we should be getting more background exploration on Luffy which also might be an indication of an end to come for One Piece?

Interestingly enough, I found out recently in this Wiki entry that Oda originally planned this series to run for a certain length, so he already had an ending in place (not that it is surprising since it's a common practice among authors). May be it's about time to introduce the beginning of the end of this series? TV rating for the animated version is in dire need of a boost. I also realize that an end to the show may not happen any time soon as long as the manga is still popular.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-26, 22:12   Link #489
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Yeah, Oda said in a recent SBS that he planned the series to be 5 years long, but obviously it took a little longer than he thought, so now he has no idea when he will end it. It's good to know that he does have the ending planned already, though, that way we don't have to worry that it's not going anywhere. If he starts to get tired of the story, he can just start heading towards the conclusion. Meanwhile I'm perfectly happy to keep reading it as long as it stays fun.
Old 2006-09-26, 22:33   Link #490
S_C_L-1

the point i was trying to make, is that ALL the main characters could use more devellopement on their pasts... but yeah, Luffy is in dire need of right now...

somehow, I feel that all of the characters in the strawhats are going to be tied together somehow with their pasts...

hell, the only characters that we know about the biological parents are robin (only her mother) , chopper (they are just reindeer....) and Ussop (father is part of the red hairs)...
Old 2006-09-28, 14:50   Link #491
ninraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
I'm rather certain that we'll see more of Luffy's past some day. I think that if we knew more about him, it would be a spoiler for the future.
Proof of that would be when he was fighting Aokiji, when his grandfather was mentioned and Luufy got nervous as hell.

And thats why I freaking love Oda, he's setting up that for way in the future.
ninraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 16:40   Link #492
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninraven
And thats why I freaking love Oda, he's setting up that for way in the future.
The Wiki article I provided in my previous post would explain why Oda's planning seems so impeccable. After all, he has to make his conclusion work. I also entertain the idea that the recent cry for the not-so-good story over the current manga might have some merit after reading that article since I realize he is most likely forcing himself to come up with new story.
Old 2006-09-28, 17:46   Link #493
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
The Wiki article I provided in my previous post would explain why Oda's planning seems so impeccable. After all, he has to make his conclusion work. I also entertain the idea that the recent cry for the not-so-good story over the current manga might have some merit after reading that article since I realize he is most likely forcing himself to come up with new story.
What? I don't understand what you are saying.
Old 2006-09-28, 18:03   Link #494
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Interestingly enough, I found out recently in this Wiki entry that Oda originally planned this series to run for a certain length, so he already had an ending in place (not that it is surprising since it's a common practice among authors). May be it's about time to introduce the beginning of the end of this series?
I think, if he comes up with new and possibly good storylines to dwell into the past of the side characters, for instance, Gol D. Roger and related people, Whitebeard, Shanks, World Government officials, the story might take longer to finish. Although the main storyline might stay the same, every new detail might make the story more valuable for both us and Oda. The story has a lot of items to explore, and I don't think it is possible for Oda to think of all of them long time ago.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 18:52   Link #495
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
I think, if he comes up with new and possibly good storylines to dwell into the past of the side characters, for instance, Gol D. Roger and related people, Whitebeard, Shanks, World Government officials, the story might take longer to finish. Although the main storyline might stay the same, every new detail might make the story more valuable for both us and Oda. The story has a lot of items to explore, and I don't think it is possible for Oda to think of all of them long time ago.
agreed, but you kinda lost me at the end there...

"and I don't think it is possible for Oda to think of all of them long time ago."

the thing is tho, is that there is a TON of work in writing a story like OP... every single part of the world has to be created and be given an explanation of some kind... every single character (mental, physical and social), place (custums, topography), animals, objects (use, functionnality, appearance), everything that is different from OUR world and lives... all while making intricate fight scenes and give the viewers an emotionnal attachment to the characters... not to mention DRAWING it all...

its alot more work than most ppl realise... and Oda definitely doesnt deserve to be badmouthed for a small portion of the story that displeases (that hasnt even been explained yet)... im sure it all works out well (as in well written, not necessairely happy-go-lucky)... and if not, i think we can forgive him for one slip up... hes already given us more than 400 excellent chapters.
Old 2006-09-29, 14:03   Link #496
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
What? I don't understand what you are saying.
Yeah, me too, as I read that post today! I was on rush when I posted yesterday.

Basically, I'm speculating. If Oda wrote his conclusion already, that means he also wrote his outline for the story in advance as well. Remember, the article says he intended for this show to run for a certain period of time and he can't claim something like that if he already didn't have thought of a specific outline to begin with. We get the added confirmation when he said he also had a conclusion in place. He didn't count on the fact his manga was going to be this popular. Here is my speculation kicks in.

I'm thinking, may be a lot of the things are added to his original outline to stretch and to prolong the story. All these stretching/prolonging are taking their tolls, and it's showing. I'm hearing that a lot of the OP-fans are complaining about the recent development of the story in the manga, that his explanation is weaker than ever, that his unpredictibility seems forced and not very inventive as before. Again, I'm speculating, may be the reason behind is that he is forced to adjust his original outline for the sake of stretching the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
Although the main storyline might stay the same, every new detail might make the story more valuable for both us and Oda. The story has a lot of items to explore, and I don't think it is possible for Oda to think of all of them long time ago.
I believe Oda had to have a certain outline for his story. Otherwise, he wouldn't claim he had a certain conclusion in place and had orginally intended for this show to run for certain period of time. He could always add to his story, but I think he wouldn't do any drastic changing that may affect his conclusion in any way. Whatever he had been doing, he continually had been giving us the sense he is going forward, which is why his planning seems so impeccable to many of us.
Old 2006-09-29, 14:38   Link #497
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
I'm thinking, may be a lot of the things are added to his original outline to stretch and to prolong the story. All these stretching/prolonging are taking their tolls, and it's showing. I'm hearing that a lot of the OP-fans are complaining about the recent development of the story in the manga, that his explanation is weaker than ever, that his unpredictibility seems forced and not very inventive as before. Again, I'm speculating, may be the reason behind is that he is forced to adjust his original outline for the sake of stretching the story.
I don't know...I got the impression that it simply took him longer than he intended, not that he's purposelly trying to stretch it. And I get the feeling that this last arc was one he planned for, since it's so important in the story. Also, as someone who is reading the manga, I had few complaints; I thought the fights dragged, but that's mostly it...there's still some things that need to be worked out, but that will come in the next few chapters. My impression is that it's a few really overzealous fanboys who are very new to the story in general that are the ones complaining, having a perception built mostly around skimming over the story quickly to catch up and reading lots of Wikipedia. Most of the fans I know who have been reading for many years are perfectly happy with the story. . Looking at One Piece as a whole, Oda's style has been fairly consistent. Sometimes predictable, sometimes unpredictable, but always enjoyable. I think people were hoping that Oda was going to take some huge risks and do something that he would never do, at least from the nutty speculations that people were coming up with.
Old 2006-09-29, 16:49   Link #498
chucky
Always impatient

Nope, it is not just "overzealous fanboys new to the story". North American fanboys are always the last group of readers I would even bother -- and I can confirm in many other East Asian forums a lot of diehard fans reading the manga 3 years+ have been bitching about the manga plot. Guess this is an advantage for knowing more than one language, I suppose?

And actually, while I would apologize in advance, my perception is a lot of people rush to defense of the recent blunders, at least say in this forum, have probably not read enough shonen manga to make sound argument. Run a poll and see how many people here have read the whole Saint Seiya, 3x3 eyes and Hokuto Shinken (though I dont think you can categorize it as shonen given its graphic violence). Not to show off credibility, nor can reading more equate good judgment, but you know, it is pretty natural if you read more you will ask for more. Greedy bastard is the name for the species called homo sapien, isnt it?

But anyhow, I think monir is on the right track. It is not very common a manga story can stretch over a course more than 8 years (we dont have too many manga comparable to コータローまかりとおる! in length, serialized for 20 years right?), with still 40-50% to come. No one can write a story that long, and yes I agree that it is taking the toll on Oda who actually is not to blame. You know, a manga that pouplar is not a matter of Oda himself. Anyhow, I guess the TV version really needs a more regular airtime and they probably have to pull a naruto scheme to at least make 20-30 fillers so to avoid catching up the manga.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-29 at 17:05.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 18:32   Link #499
S_C_L-1

^ there are other alternatives to long filler arcs...

1. stretching out episodes... not a good thing, but CAN be better than filler...

2. not-air for a few months... you lose ratings and such... but its not that bad... i know plenty of ppl who will wait MONTHS for a single episode subbed by a certain fansub group i will not mention (you know who it is)... and when they do that, usually the first episodes are aired as TV movies! altho, doing this in the middle of a fast paced/action packed arc would kinda suck..

but, if they do go for fillers, then i dont think we should compare it to naruto... thats just cruel...
Old 2006-10-01, 00:04   Link #500
striderm
Adusa #1

There's chapter cover stories that need to be done at least. Also they could do shorts based on spreads that Oda has drawn.
striderm is offline   Reply With Quote