AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-19, 21:07   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Lucky Star music discussion (OP/ED & OST, etc.)

Feel free to discuss any music related subjects for Lucky Star here (OP/ED & OST, etc.). As the usual rule, NO POSTING LINKS TO MP3s OR ASKING FOR THEM. You may buy them at the usual place such as cdjapan and what not, but DO NOT ask for or post links to any music downloads. This includes, but isn't limited to:
  • any RAR, ZIP, 7-ZIP archive
  • Torrents
  • The names of other BT sites that list music torrents
  • Direct downloads
Old 2007-04-20, 07:12   Link #2
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I really like the OP for this series. Not only is it crazy, lyrically, but the animation is great, too. I'm not generally a fan of OP/ED sequences, usually either the music or the animation puts me off, however with Lucky Star... KyoAni did good.

It disappoints me a little that there's no real ED, since so far it's just been that karaoke stuff, but that's pretty neat in its own right.

Still a little too early to give much comment on the general OST, but I doubt I'll be disappointed in how it pans out, unless it's like Haruhi and there's a million character albums and no apparent/obvious real OST released. -.-
Old 2007-04-20, 09:27   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
unless it's like Haruhi and there's a million character albums and no apparent/obvious real OST released. -.-
All the music has been released for Haruhi. You just have to track down the CD's that came with the DVD's. But yeah, no official OST --- though it happens.
Old 2007-04-20, 12:13   Link #4
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Is it just me or do these lines from the start of the opening make anyone else go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK sub version
Ganbacchau?
Just work it?

yacchacchau?
And do it?

son tokkya KYACCHI ANDO RIRI-SU yo
Don't forget to catch and release yo!

Hopefully I'm just reading a little too into this...
Old 2007-04-20, 12:29   Link #5
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reverie View Post
Is it just me or do these lines from the start of the opening make anyone else go

Hopefully I'm just reading a little too into this...
You lost me.

Eh?
Old 2007-04-20, 12:33   Link #6
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

It probably is just me then, I dunno I guess the "Catch and release part" after the first two lyrics made me think of all those idiots/jerks in highschool who'd work their way into the pants of the girls and then immediately dump em. *shrug*
Old 2007-04-20, 16:27   Link #7
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
The "catch and release part".. that really is weird, but I really can't think it to mean what you're saying. After all, the entire OP lyrics are random and crazy, just sort of thrown together to make a really catchy song. Hmm... Make that extremely catchy. *thinks about how I play it 500+ times a day*
Old 2007-04-20, 19:36   Link #8
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
The "catch and release part".. that really is weird, but I really can't think it to mean what you're saying.
Think of fishing, where you throw back fish that are too small so they can grow larger. I've heard it used to mean being attracted to someone who's too young to "catch", so you "release" them with an eye to hooking up when they're older (i.e. legal). Which makes this line extremely dodgy when sung by highschoolers! (Though it's still more subtle than the guy lurking behind the lamppost.)

And maybe this belongs in the merchandise thread, but the OP single is out May 23rd: CDJapan - Amazon JP

It's currently Amazon's third top seller in music
Old 2007-04-20, 19:43   Link #9
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
IMO the a.f.k. translation and setup are just unappealing. But that still doesn't deter me from enjoying the song any, and I agree with Simon on the whole PoV on the "catch and release" part. Can't wait for the official OP CD release so I can buy it.
Old 2007-04-20, 23:27   Link #10
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

So I've been working on my karaoke to the OP. Which as a non-native speaker of Japanese is... interesting. In order to learn to speak all the words properly I hadta transcribe the lyrics. I mostly used AFK's translation, with some alterations from other sites as well as some googling. This is the current results:
Spoiler for for keepinz ur page shorter:

There are a few places where I disagree with AFK's translation. The "catch and release" phrase is actually missing a syllable, the word tokkya blends into "catch" so that it's tokkyatch. Near the end of the first section it makes more sense for the word to be "ase!" (sweat) rather than "I say!", given the suggestive nature of the first stanza. Finally there's the big beast, the first line of the last stanza. I don't hear a fu or a ku in that line, it's just two syllables. seihin means products or goods (stuff), sanpi literally means a request for approval or rejection, but I think is simultaneously short for san pi-su, or three piece. So the item description and the question are inherent in the same words... nice trick that.

Seems like the whole first stanza is a jab at the industrywide practice of having romantic OPs to shows where it's really inappropriate, as well as mockingly throwing up some fanservice before getting to the parts of the song that actually tell us something about the characters. KyoAni is basically saying "We know we'll get the attention of all you otaku out there by putting pics of lolis in short skirts in front of you along with lyrics talking about sex, so here's some over the top naughtiness. Now let's move on to something that the show is actually about." The "catch and release" line, as someone noted before, is just way overboard. Heh.

Two RFI's here. First, can anyone who's read the manga identify the policewoman onscreen at the "cherry pie" line? She reminds me of Konata, both the mouth and the eyes. Secondly, I'd reeeeally like the original words for the bridge section, where only their legs are visible. In particular, Miyuki's lines about looking for her glasses. Romanization pleez, I can't read Japanese.
Old 2007-04-20, 23:46   Link #11
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Somewhere in the original thread it's noted that "catch and release" means to take a fish out of water, then put it back in before it, um, dries out. Any way you look at it, it's a terribly suggestive line. too suggestive really, like KyoAni is deliberaly starting the song with something crude in order to mock all the OPs out there that are coyly suggestive and cutesy. As well as mocking all the pervs hoping for fanservice.

I disagree that the rest of the OP is all that random, if you look over the lines sung by the individual girls in the middle sections they actually say a good bit about the characters. Konata screws up her line (with an acdcidental H-game line?), and says she messed upsie-up in a close parallel to the "mixy-wixie" line in Ep. 1. Tsukasa says weirdish stuff, and the other girls tell her to cut it out. Miyuki is excited about ehr food, which leads to being overrun by Konata's uber-excitement. And later on the bit with scattering asteroids that crash and burn, reminds us that we're walking straight into a bunch of otaku-friendly material.
Old 2007-04-20, 23:57   Link #12
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Not the kind of song I'd have on a playlist or a loop, but it doesn't have me scramblings for the fast forward key either. I let it play out before the episode and I like the cheerleading sequence very much big time (Konata's Magical Hair Growth Sequence).
Old 2007-04-21, 01:14   Link #13
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
In particular, Miyuki's lines about looking for her glasses. Romanization pleez, I can't read Japanese.
She says "Megane! Megane wa doko desu ka!?". I think it's what I hear most clearly from that messy mixture of voices. If you wear headphones, Miyuki's first two lines are clearly heard on the left headphone. I can't get the last sentence, sorry.

I *think* I can hear some of Konata's rumblings, but I'd need to edit the sound to hear more. I also hear Tsukasa saying "Atashi ne,...", like she's starting a sentence.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-21, 02:20   Link #14
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Is the new gal popular or what?
Since I'd call her a regular girl
Haruhi reference? Or am I reading way too much into this?
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2007-04-21, 17:57   Link #15
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Think of fishing, where you throw back fish that are too small so they can grow larger. I've heard it used to mean being attracted to someone who's too young to "catch", so you "release" them with an eye to hooking up when they're older (i.e. legal). Which makes this line extremely dodgy when sung by highschoolers! (Though it's still more subtle than the guy lurking behind the lamppost.)
I haven't seen the term, but I've seen that plot in numerous anime series -- an older man and a much-too-young girl obviously in love, perhaps even engaged, but holding off on marriage and/or intimacy until she's old enough to handle it. There's a really controversial example in Card Captor Sakura, and a relationship of that nature is one of the major plot points in the legendary shoujo dramedy Marmalade Boy (blowing up in the faces of those involved with devastating results). In both examples, fans tend to conclude that the older guy was a bit of a jerk.

Kona-chan, of course, would know all about both these examples. And has probably written ecchi fanfics about both.
Old 2007-04-21, 18:01   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
the OP song is just awesome the pace is fast but surprisingly the movemnts are being kept up with O.o i just love those sharp crisp moves of the dance and the way kona points up 3 fingers is just epix :3

as for the ED song...erm is there even one? (completely ignoring the karaoke)

the first line/statement of the song translated by a.f.k is unique tho...not everday i read slang and it works surprisingly :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-21, 19:40   Link #17
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

If there is one non-tokatsu song one would like Konata to sing for her third song, what would it be? I personally would like her to sing Macross OP just because I love Macross, but considering Kona's exhuberance I think Voltes V's OP would be best.

I mean the beginning of the chorus (Borutesu Faibu ni) and the end of the chorus (mou chikai) would be awesome to hear in Konata's screeching yelling voice. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-04-22, 10:02   Link #18
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

ED 3 :-

Aya Hirano sings Sorega Ai Deshou in her so not Konata Voice.

Anticipating :-

Tori No Uta, Last Regret, Megu Meru.
Old 2007-04-22, 12:53   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
If there is one non-tokatsu song one would like Konata to sing for her third song, what would it be? I personally would like her to sing Macross OP just because I love Macross, but considering Kona's exhuberance I think Voltes V's OP would be best.

I mean the beginning of the chorus (Borutesu Faibu ni) and the end of the chorus (mou chikai) would be awesome to hear in Konata's screeching yelling voice. XD
Ugh I hate the Voltes V theme. What's one that is good, hmmmm..... Maybe Tobe Gundam... no too expensive and dangerous to do, not worth it.... hmmm.....maybe Tetsujin 28-Go. I'd like to see what she does with the bullet noise (dadadadadaan to dangan ga kuru bababababaan to haretsusuru Byuun To Hindeku Tetsujin, Nijuu Hachi Gou.

On the FMP one. I'm willing to bet if she had done the normal mangling of the FMP: Fumoffu opening there would have been riots. I get the feeling that the more otakuish fans of shows Kyoto Animation has been involved in have less of a sense of humour about matters than Kyoto Animation itself seems to have. It's alright if they do it with old songs that nobody remembers, but if its a series that involved Kyoto Animation (Even if the song is licensed out from Flight Master for this episode) there'd be hell to pay from the fans. As strong as Kyoto Animation has been made by its specific fanbase I get the sense they could turn on the company at the drop of a hat (which they almost did with the Kanon ending apparently).
Old 2007-04-22, 15:57   Link #20
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've said it before in the episode thread, but I love Aaya's singing in the ep3 ED. Her voice is thin, but expressive and in tune. Check this blog for some shocking but amusing news about which singer Aaya likes (hint: it's Avril), with photos and text from Aaya's blog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
...On the FMP one. I'm willing to bet if she had done the normal mangling of the FMP: Fumoffu opening there would have been riots. I get the feeling that the more otakuish fans of shows Kyoto Animation has been involved in have less of a sense of humour about matters than Kyoto Animation itself seems to have....
Kaioshin, no matter what the situation, you conjure out of thin air some way of criticizing KyoAni and its fans, lol. Not that I disagree with you about the possibility of the fanbase turning on KyoAni. That happened to some extent with episode one. Maybe some people are not fans of KyoAni so much as of that highly detailed animation style, and when they didn't get it, they were disappointed. But the show itself seems to be winning people over, on its own terms.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Closed Thread