AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-28, 21:40   Link #721
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I gotta say this, TFS Alto sure has changed, mostly for the benefit of Ranka. He's more caring, friendly...to the point I keep wondering where my snarky tsundere is. XD
I know they're making the playing field even. But still, for me, it feels kinda heavy-handed especially knowing how the characters were in the series. Ranka has improved though, I'll give her that, she's not as self-centered as in the series and actually takes time to know Alto, then again she was given the childhood friend schtick. I guess they took note of her many criticisms and attacked them here in the movie.
Old 2010-10-28, 23:56   Link #722
Lancel

Wouldn't necessarily say it's a childhood friend schtick, it doesn't really say how long Ranka has been friends with that group, and really they're no older than teens anyway, but yeah, I agree, Ranka/Alto I think had some of their best scenes together in this movie.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 00:37   Link #723
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

The already-know-each-other-and-are-friends schtick then.
Old 2010-10-29, 03:03   Link #724
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

My honest-to-goodness favorite scenes from the movie (Part 4 of 4):

Spoiler for TORNADO PACK!!!!:

Spoiler for TORNADO PACK!!!!!!:

Spoiler for TOOOORRRNNNAAAADOOO PAAAAAAACK!!!!:

Spoiler for TRNDO PCK!:

Spoiler for Good thing that Sheryl doesn't seem to be afraid of heights.:

Spoiler for HELL YEAH!:

Spoiler for New Vajra battleship looks awesome.:

Spoiler for Is the girl behind Ranka wearing on of those Sharon Apple quality enhancement bracelets...?:

Spoiler for Tornado Pack.:

Spoiler for Yet another nice shot of Island 1.:

Spoiler for She's sexy when she's determined.:

Spoiler for I like the coloring in this shot.:

Spoiler for Epic Diamond Crevasse:

Spoiler for Wait a sec...you mean to tell me they cut Nanase out of the movie but THIS guy gets a cameo...? DAMMIT!:

Spoiler for Vajra Grasshopper is awesome.:

Spoiler for Nice shot.:

Spoiler for CARNAGE!!!:

Spoiler for T*rn*d* P*ck:

Spoiler for WTF-1:

Spoiler for Continuing the long Macross tradition of Destroids getting blown up immediately.:

Spoiler for Ranka's battle yell is startlingly fierce.:

Spoiler for RUN! RANKA! RUN!:

Spoiler for Oooh...awesome!:

Spoiler for Sheryl, heartbroken.:

Spoiler for Best damn song in the movie!:

Spoiler for I love the Vajra's reflection in the building. (T****** P***!):

Spoiler for This is the kind of Sheryl shipping I support.:

Spoiler for That's a rather sly smile she's giving him, isn't it?:

Spoiler for More Sharon Apple references...:

Spoiler for With a DYRL reference thrown in for good measure.:

Spoiler for The "inside the Vajra" perspective scenes are really great.:

Spoiler for ******* ****!!!:

Spoiler for Oh Lord...who asked YOU to show up?:

Spoiler for Another DYRL reference...?:

Spoiler for Again? HELL YEAH!:

Spoiler for HOLY SHIT!! I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!:

Spoiler for Monster-a-go-go:

Spoiler for Alto dealing with G-force...a Macross staple since 1994.:

Spoiler for Huh. Wasn't expecting THAT...:

Spoiler for 行くわよ、ランカちゃん!:

Spoiler for はい、シェリルさん!:

Spoiler for A couple of iconic images.:

Spoiler for ORRREYYYAAAAAA!!:

Spoiler for Macross Quarter looking sexy:

Spoiler for Battle Frontier looking sexier:

Spoiler for Bobby looking sexiest:

Spoiler for Nice shot.:

Spoiler for LOL I TROLL U:

Spoiler for A plamodel diorama waiting to happen.:

Spoiler for C'mon, Sheryl...join in!:

Spoiler for She looks really sweet here.:

Spoiler for "Oh, keep it. It looks prettier on you, anyway!":

Spoiler for Telling us what we already knew..Sheryl is HOT.:

Spoiler for Nice ride...can't wait to see you guys again!:

Spoiler for Thank you, sir.:
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 03:16   Link #725
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

My honest-to-goodness favorite scenes from the movie (I-Don't-Do-This-Kind-of-Service-Very-Often BONUS Edition!!!):

Spoiler for BOMBAA!!:

Spoiler for Oh, hullo. Yes, "Kira" to you, too.:

Spoiler for OH FOR GOD'S SAKE, ALTO! GET OVER YOURSELF AND KISS HER!!:

Spoiler for Oooh...what have we here...?:

Spoiler for "Sheryl's right...it DOES look prettier on me!":

Spoiler for Umm...what's with the barbed wire? And what happened to Battle Frontier?:

Spoiler for Cant wait!:
Old 2010-10-29, 03:44   Link #726
magnuskn

I must say, I highly favour Crusaders opinion that the Frontier movie is an in-universe production, to rescue the tarnished reputation of Ranka Lee.
Old 2010-10-29, 03:49   Link #727
SolidN7

Good movie, one thing that I like about the movie was the presentation of sheryl

LYNN MINMAY 2009 SHALON APPLE 2040 FIRE BOMBER 2045 AND NOW "2059"
SolidN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 03:57   Link #728
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I must say, I highly favour Crusaders opinion that the Frontier movie is an in-universe production, to rescue the tarnished reputation of Ranka Lee.
Well THANK GOODNESS you've found a way to bash movie Ranka as well! *whew* That was close, wasn't it?
Old 2010-10-29, 04:08   Link #729
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Wouldn't necessarily say it's a childhood friend schtick, it doesn't really say how long Ranka has been friends with that group, and really they're no older than teens anyway, but yeah, I agree, Ranka/Alto I think had some of their best scenes together in this movie.
Going by how the two interact together, i'd say they've known each over for quite a while. Maybe not since childhood, though long enough. The real question is how did they meet.

& this isn't just because i prefer Sheryl/Alto, though i'd say their play date was one of the best scenes for me. Especially their adventure into the wild, aka Macross Plus. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Spoiler for BOMBAA!!:
Ozma is so going to take Ranka into battle, Basara style.
Old 2010-10-29, 04:44   Link #730
magnuskn

Quote:
Well THANK GOODNESS you've found a way to bash movie Ranka as well! *whew* That was close, wasn't it?
Where exactly am I bashing movie Ranka? By saying that she may be even more fictional than she already is?
Old 2010-10-29, 09:12   Link #731
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Spoiler for BOMBAA!!:
A VF-1 Super Pack in Fire Valkyrie colors? WIN.

Quote:
Spoiler for Umm...what's with the barbed wire? And what happened to Battle Frontier?:
I'd bet that's Battle Galaxy, not Frontier. That's Battle Galaxy's color scheme too, and it would explain the barbed wire. (the two songstresses being enslaved by Grace's plot)
Old 2010-10-29, 09:53   Link #732
John117xCortana

Since they are both wearing wedding dresses I think we all know what that means.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 09:56   Link #733
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Since they are both wearing wedding dresses I think we all know what that means.
It's advertisement. They're not going to show just one of the girls in a wedding dress now are they?
Old 2010-10-29, 10:04   Link #734
magnuskn

Yuri wedding?
Old 2010-10-29, 10:22   Link #735
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
The already-know-each-other-and-are-friends schtick then.
I did get the impression Ranka was in danger of being friend zoned. >> Sheryl is right though, Ranka has been harboring a huge crush on Alto, probably for a while now.

Funny you should mention their adventure in the wild and Macross Plus, I did get the impression Sheryl was showing just a bit of Isamu in her. I always took her for a bit of a daredevil, but the movie seems to take it just a little further.

Next thing you know Ranka will be complaining about Sheryl dragging them through a swamp and if Alto hadn't brought his gun with him...
Old 2010-10-29, 10:29   Link #736
Fishfood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
they're both gonna have a wedding with the human-vajra hybrid battle galaxy?

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 11:09   Link #737
cutesherry
.:Sweet Dreamer:.

Finally watched the subbed movie by coalgirls ^__^

Needless to say, the animation was well done and I was actually surprised by many things, but the most important of them is: because of the trailers, the title and all this spoilers flying around the fandom involving mostly Sheryl, I had the impression the movie would be more focused on her, but while it was somehow the case, it was still very far from what I imagined the past year I guess: the others characters definitely got their share of screen too, still, their 'share of screentime' seems to always be them being involved with one the 3, I would have liked many of them to have more 'private' times but yeah, this is a 2h movie, I guess it was just impossible to do.

Sheryl, in this movie, she was truly 'Sheryl the songstress'; she will sings forever and ever and she won't be alone because there are many people who look up to her; she was very much a big sister character toward Alto/Ranka even though it showed that she was starting to get attracted to Alto and she unselfishly supported them, telling Ranka that she was just playing with Alto or asking Alto to save Ranka and so on. Also, is she actually already sick? They showed us at some point a bottle of pills/medication in Sheryl's room...She also seems to be more knowledgeable about the whole Vajra deal and even knew about 'Aimo', unlike the series in which she didn't seem to have anything to do with any of it at all.

It also seems like what I wished for somehow happened, but yet again, not how I imagined it: I wanted to know more about Alto and his inner thoughts, but they made him somehow too...nice? ^^; I guess his tsundere and 'a bit on the cold side' selves were a huge part in his attractiveness, and while those aspects weren't dismissed, it still feels like they were dimmed. Still, I guess it's more 'authentic' now: he indeed spent years studying on 'how to be a woman' of sort, it would be weird it didn't show in his inner/outer personality. They really developed more his character, and that was very nice.

The same happened to Brera= a lot nicer than he was in the series, and both him and Alto seems like they might actually be good friends in the future?

Another thing to note is after everything that was said in interviews and so on about wanting to give more showtime to Klan, we got close to none at all of her ^^;

About Ranka, as said above, she got a lot more screentime and protagonism than I had in mind: they made her really close to Alto, to a point it seemed they were in 'that' type of relationship="the 2 'friends' who doesn't say aloud they are dating and answer 'not really, it's different' when asked if they do but really are somehow 'dating' in some sort like running to the help of the other, confiding in each other in the middle of the night, being super nice toward each other, showing jealousy and feeling the need to justify their action when kissed by someone else", kind of relation. I confess I'm not quite sure what they are trying to do with that, but the Love Triangle was pretty much in her favor is the lasting feeling I had after finishing the movie. And just like for DYRL, they seemed pretty desperate to salvage Ranka's character?

As for the preview of the next movie, it seems like Sheryl will become a bit more aggressive toward Alto and finally graduate from her big sis role, still, knowing the series, her legendary unselfishness might actually push her till the very end to support Alto/Ranka?
And the whole picture with both girls wearing sort of wedding dresses=Kawamori's message than we won't get a resolution to the LT, like ever? ^^;;

..::CuteSherry LJ
...♥...CuteSherry MTokyo...♥...CuteSherry APaper...♥...CuteSherry dART::..
~I Seek Peace in my Dreams~
cutesherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 12:16   Link #738
Lancel

I'd just go into the second movie expecting zero love triangle resolution. It's safest, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if there is one.

The pills do imply she's still ill, and I've somewhat pondered that, given... ahem.

Spoiler for Sick Sheryl:
Old 2010-10-29, 12:49   Link #739
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I'd just go into the second movie expecting zero love triangle resolution. It's safest, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if there is one.
I said it before I saw the movie, I say it after the movie: The characters are not the same ones we saw in the series. These are two different continuities. I may even be amenable to a Ranka victory in the movie continuity. As long as we get a proper ending OVA for the series, that is...
Old 2010-10-29, 13:07   Link #740
Lancel

I'd be amicable to most any resolution... except OT3 since I feel that cheapens the whole triangle, maybe I could accept a Les resolution if they handled it tastefully, but these are just how I feel on it. In a way I'm glad to consider it alt continuity from the series, leaves us to speculate on the series even if the movies do give a resolution.