AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-05-31, 00:07   Link #61
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

I've been thinking....

Now what say, if someone tries to adopted the novel "Lolita" into a graphic novel in this day and climate, staying faithful to the source unlike the 2 previous movie attempts, just what will happen ?

Will the artist be canonized as a Saint or be burnt at the stake ? Perhaps such is the fear and reason that had prevent nobody had dare to make a graphical version of the novel thus far.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 00:34   Link #62
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

As a social experiment; Amazon.com still has it up for sale. Go there and "buy" it. At worst, you get nothing, spend nothing, and lose nothing. At best, Amazon caves and alerts 7Seas that there is a back-order affecting their bottom line.

I ordered two. If they ship, I'll time-capsule one for collectors value.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 01:44   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ooh.. excellent idea. (runs off to place order)

(((that is such a perverse van.... how do you avoid being lynched )))
Old 2007-05-31, 03:21   Link #64
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Official Statement from SSE annoucing the drop

And your's truly have began working on the Scanlation of this title in respond. Might need some help in the PR department.
Old 2007-05-31, 05:37   Link #65
Thany
Unfair

That's why you shall never ever trust companies like that when they'd license such titles, they'll just end up fleeing cowardly like that
Now we have just to hope that they drop the license alltogether so some scanlators might work again on this someday
Old 2007-05-31, 06:04   Link #66
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany View Post
Now we have just to hope that they drop the license alltogether so some scanlators might work again on this someday
It'll be defeating the purpose of licensing if they are going to hold on to the license but not releasing a single volume.

Regardless of whether SSE still retaining the license, I'll push ahead with the project.
Old 2007-05-31, 06:30   Link #67
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Bravo, MakubeX2! I'll support your efforts.
Old 2007-05-31, 08:39   Link #68
grgspunk

Thank you for your decision MX2. What other sites do you plan on releasing it besides AS?
grgspunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 08:55   Link #69
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

I shure hope they release it.... I saw it advertised in newtype mag. and hade to get it so I sent in a reservation order with my book company.

man geting manga is a lot easyer when your a librairian you get most books 1/2 off and I can get as much as I want and just put it down as librairy books so I get to read them and then put them on my shelves at work (^^)
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 08:58   Link #70
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgspunk View Post
Thank you for your decision MX2. What other sites do you plan on releasing it besides AS?
This is an indie effort between me and maybe 2 other. For now, the plan is to host the files on a private FTP.

As a start, I'm done translating one out of two of the prototype chapters released only in Comic High in 2004 before the series officially start in 2005. Now it's up to the 2 of them to PS my translation in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
I shure hope they release it.... I saw it advertised in newtype mag. and hade to get it so I sent in a reservation order with my book company.
I'm afraid SSE has already made their stand of not releasing the series at all. Evidence being they choosing to write it off on their lineup completely on their site
Old 2007-05-31, 09:07   Link #71
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

I suppose this whole mess can be summed up in three words

Internet ****ing Explodes.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 09:09   Link #72
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

maim...kill...hurt...
Old 2007-05-31, 09:46   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You can go to the gomanga.com forum site and their official explanation. http://www.gomanga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5313

There's a lot of fluff but basically the vendors started fleeing in droves thanks to the witchburning/bookburning crowd potential. I'm not ultra pleased with some of the rationalizations given (the specirfic pages where the president says the work "crosses the line" only cross any line I can see if you remove the emotional context of what happens before and after). It is, after all, a work of fiction and treats some complicated subjects pretty carefully I'd say. If I walked flipped to specific sections of The Grapes of Wrath or Ulysses, I'd probably draw bad conclusions as well... except that I don't judge material out of context that way.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-31 at 10:24.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 09:54   Link #74
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

cross the line....I think the line has been fairly smuged out over the years. whats this to a bunch of other stuff out their.

who will join me in an crazy mob?
Old 2007-05-31, 09:55   Link #75
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's a lot of fluff but basically the vendors started fleeing in droves thanks to the witchburning/bookburning crowd potential.
To them, Kuro-chan says :-

The above is from part 1 of the prototype chapter, BTW.
Old 2007-05-31, 10:48   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
cross the line....I think the line has been fairly smuged out over the years. whats this to a bunch of other stuff out their.

who will join me in an crazy mob?
A quote from the gomanga forum:

Quote:
KnJ is not purely a comedy, it also has dramatic elements of pathos and tragedy. She's not "just desperate" ... there's a lot of emotional texture ranging from "cry for help" to "obsession" to a dozen other factors.

I do find it interesting that KnJ was shut down while series like Tsukuyomi Moon Phase (also excellent storyline but involves April/October relationships, a fair amount of nudity, and has at least one scene of a very young undressed girl trying to seduce the male lead) and Negima (cheesy fun but lots of underage activity with a 10 year old boy) troops along quite merrily.
Never mind the total acceptance of some really horrific violence (torture, dismemberment, slaughter) in many popular works...

So.... I guess the message here is that its okay if the publisher is big enough or that the vendors can avert their eyes or shrinkwrap it. And that ultra-violence gets a pass but if we have a fully-clothed but sexually charged hug with all the contextual build up and the emotional consequnces and concern aftewards --- its evil. Sorry, the frontal lobe just fried there.
Whatever one thinks of the work, this was only a good day for the thoughtcrime vigilantes.
Old 2007-05-31, 12:21   Link #77
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Oi Oi, Moon Phase did not get by ether, but that was a case of dumbass at the editing room, cuase you can have emplied violence up the bum but no nipples. (Which is probably why they let all the April/October nonsence, OH SNAP!)
Old 2007-05-31, 13:15   Link #78
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A quote from the gomanga forum:

Whatever one thinks of the work, this was only a good day for the thoughtcrime vigilantes.
this is BS!
that sumed it up perfectly. why dont they just plastic wrap it and all is fine?

EDIT: ok when I looked at my manga shelf I just saw one that is called "Junk Force" which has a bunch of 13 year olds girls runing around naked and their aint no soup or steam covering their parts most of the time. so what dose those crazy knaves say about that?

Last edited by Diaboso; 2007-05-31 at 13:41.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:21   Link #79
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
this is BS!
that sumed it up perfectly. why dont they just plastic wrap it and all is fine?

EDIT: ok when I looked at my manga shelf I just saw one that is called "Junk Force" which has a bunch of 13 year olds girls runing around naked and their aint no soup or steam covering their parts most of the time. so what dose those crazy knaves say about that?
You sir, will be V&. 4chan Party Van! *Bangs head*
Old 2007-05-31, 15:39   Link #80
GammaRed

This is a blow to the comunity

To those who beleave this is a travisty that is unforgivabul, I suport you. In the eyes of the world we have once again, shown that Canada/USA are one of the most closed minded of the world. We are the only contrys in witch sexual practices are OUTLAWED, and I am not talking about immoral content such as the Truely Taboo. But plane sexual practaces that are enjoyed by meny ppl, I wont name them as this is not the place.

This is a work of fiction, and I have read everything in the series that is avalabul, and MUCH of wot is being complaned about is things that are taken out of context because they CHOSE to condem it befor understanding it.

We have to relise that as a nation we are the last that have not acsepted this sort of content as wot it is, a story with real emontional issues, that have no doubt happend in REAL LIFE.

Further more, what has happended to the vaunted freedoms, that they can be supressed by a group be it large or small.

Maybe we are the minroity in wanting this Managa to be released in the US & Canada. But that dosent make our wishes and complanets LESS VALID!

I feel that if we dont release EVERYTHING, than we should not release ANYTHING.

Manga/Anime was ment to be read/watched and enjoyed or dispised. And if they stop a title because of this, what is next?
GammaRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, growing up, loli, school life, seinen