AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 56 43.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 32.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 17.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.34%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-06-03, 15:27   Link #281
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

For the records I also think that some people here are stating facts that can't be inferred simply on what we have seen about the Evolvers.

And I don't think that the GA is a bunch of saints either.

Both parties are at fault here, and the most logical and rational solution at this point would be to simply split the galaxy in half and agree to stay out of each other's way.

However from what I've seen neither side is willing to do so.
At this point they simply cannot trust each others. Even if they were to sign a truce they'd live with the constant knowledge that the other side hates them and it's growing, prospering, spreading and improving their weapons.

Anyway If I'd have to decide I'd rather be with the Galactic Alliance. I can't agree with the kind of path the Evolvers chose for humanity. And the human genome is not something that a single faction has the right to change. The risks are too high. Between waging war against a nation for possessing mass destruction weapons and waging war against a nation for meddling with the human genome I'd find the latter more justifiable any day.

Not because meddling with the human genome is wrong in itself, but because if you let single factions do whatever they want with that the consequences can only be catastrophic, and a lot more than any nuke can be.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-06-03 at 15:40.
Old 2013-06-03, 16:04   Link #282
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Reading through this thread and everything. This just wins the cake for laughs.
Old 2013-06-03, 16:13   Link #283
Kirarakim

I think both the Alliance and Hideauze threw away their humanity. The Hideauze threw away their humanity to "better themselves". While the alliance threw away their humanity to ironically try to remain human.

It will probably end with the Gargantian's being the best choice, although I hope there is a twist there. I don't want Ledo to have to admit everything he knew was wrong and everything the Gargantia's show him is right. That would be disappointing & a bit too simple (even though I do really enjoy what the conflict of the Hideauze and Alliance turned out to be).
Old 2013-06-03, 16:15   Link #284
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
A child's consent in mutating her is highly dubious. `
Her father become "evolved" of his own will, and probably with conviction, Her mother didn't showed much disdain either. Parental consensus seems likely.

Anyway evolvers experiments were violating of international laws (even their quite onesided video confirmed that) and thus armed intervence is if no just at least justifiable.
Old 2013-06-03, 16:17   Link #285
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
A child's consent in mutating her is highly dubious.
This is true. I hadn't got the names straight. She seems happy as a squid, there with her squidified parents (?), especially as compared with being a future frozen peoplesicle. But I know that's not the point.

Anyway, to get away from the disagreement, I just noticed a couple of neat posts on 2channel: one suggested that Amy looks like Mrs. Yamamoto. Not sure it's true, but the idea of her being a descendant is interesting. I do wonder if the parentless Amy was planted in Gargantia by the Hideauze/whalesquid. Maybe Gargantia is part of the Evolvers' descendants' attempt to reverse engineer humans for Earth, now that they have managed to melt the seas.

Another makes your "cult" point with the words "Sarin Matsumoto."

In general, 2channel doesn't seem as passionately involved in discussing the rights and wrongs, but is more cool and jokey about all this, as far as I've read it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2013-06-03, 16:47   Link #286
Enjou

Wow, didn't see this twist coming.

There's a lot of unanswered questions.
1. How intelligent are the Earth Hideauze? They don't seem to use tech, but they are largely self sufficient anyways so they don't necessarily need it. Most importantly, are they sapient?
2. How much humanity is left in the space Hideauze? They seem to still be intelligent, as they use their biotech to make things like the Blossom Sail, but how much of the human psyche is left?
3. How much does the GA actually still know? It's quite possible that there may be some people at the top who know the truth, but given that the Alliance has forgotten where Earth is it's also quite possible they have forgotten that as well.

In regards to who the bad guys are, I'm pretty sure that the current conflict between the Hideauze and the Galactic Alliance is one where there isn't necessarily a good side - the refusal to coexist seems to be on both sides. Keep in mind that the Hideauze are intelligent and they haven't reached out to offer peace to the Galactic Alliance either.

The GA has also been called space Nazis, which I'm not entirely sure is fair. The vast majority of the people in the GA don't know that the Hideauze were originally humans, and it's unknown if genetic purity is still even a factor in their war against the Hideauze. At this point mere survival may really be the main motivator for their actions. Yes, they dispose of those who can't fight, but again this is likely due to necessity more than anything else - space is a very harsh environment, and unlike the Hideauze they are not self sufficient. While energy doesn't seem to be a major problem for the GA, it doesn't seem they are able to synthesize basic necessities like water or oxygen. If a ship has to sustain those unable to perform their duties on scarce resources, then the chances of it failing whatever mission it is on will increase significantly. I'm not saying it's morally right or anything, but in extreme circumstances the survival of the group may depend on individual sacrifices.
Old 2013-06-03, 17:17   Link #287
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not so sure I wouldn't call what they did to Elaine a human right violation, parental consent or not.
Good thing they bombed her then.
Old 2013-06-03, 17:17   Link #288
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think both the Alliance and Hideauze threw away their humanity. The Hideauze threw away their humanity to "better themselves". While the alliance threw away their humanity to ironically try to remain human.

It will probably end with the Gargantian's being the best choice, although I hope there is a twist there. I don't want Ledo to have to admit everything he knew was wrong and everything the Gargantia's show him is right. That would be disappointing & a bit too simple (even though I do really enjoy what the conflict of the Hideauze and Alliance turned out to be).
Well, the Hideauze clearly throw aay their humanity, both in physical appearance and then their mentality follow. The GA on the other hand, try to use eugenics and cloning to keep themselves pure and to produce soldiers to fight against the Hideauze. The GA also has to lie to its people about the Hideauze. But I seriously doubt anything will change just because the truth comes to light. The Hideauze doesn't seem to be nice either.

However, human history has always been like what the GA is so the GA never throws away their humanity, just their social and living standard change dramatically. Seriously, racists based on race, nationality and color have been in human history since long ago, but such radical change like the Hideauze and the war between them and the GA never exists in our history.

The best solution that human should follow is the GA imo. If people can live in spaceships there would be no need to modify themselves into some abomination. The Hideauze is an abomination of a pointless and contradicting evolution. The Evolvers claim they can live in space without spacesuit yet they still need the wormhole platform to spread their terror across galaxy. Also, we clearly have more option for space travelling than turning into Hideauze like what the GA does but their inability to accept another choice and does whatever the hell they want is the very reason why the hopeless and pointless war between both sides start in the first place.

Both humans and the Hideauze are fated to wipe each other out because the Evolvers only think about their objective and doesn't care about what others think. When the CA attacked them, they act like victims, what a bunch of assholes! Now that the Hideauze exist (I hope this won't offend anyone here but they shouldn't exist in the first place), both the Hideauze and humans will be distrusted and paranoid of each other. This isn't your standard grey vs grey morality but rather grey vs yellow or blue. It's too much radical from any conflicts we ever have.

As for the Gargantia, you know that they can exist because they aren't many humans left on Earth anymore after the CA and the Evolvers left, right? A lot of human on Earth back them must also died from the climate change. They were mostly abandoned by both their space-faring ancestors and thus don't have to compete for resource against such monstrous group. There are high possibility that Gargantia will turn into hell on Earth if the GA and Hideauze came back...
Old 2013-06-03, 17:33   Link #289
taofd

Quote:
human right violation
Is it a human rights violation if it's with full consent of the individual?

You guys are too quick to jump to conclusions.

Quote:
abomination
Why are the hideaze abominations? Just because they look different? That is literally like saying dolphins are abominations because they chose to evolve into dolphins while we shared a common ancestor...

The real abomination is that both sides are perpetuating endless war. Welcome to the industrial military complex, now in Space™.
Old 2013-06-03, 17:42   Link #290
taofd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We don't know that. People in this thread seem to be making a lot of assumptions based on the minimal information we got. Ledo and the Alliance's information are completely unreliable, and most likely outright lies. We have literally no clue what the current situation is like on the Hideauze side. The only thing we know for sure is that the Alliance and them are stuck in an eternal war. Both sides are probably at fault.
And people wonder how atrocities have repeatedly occurred throughout history...
Old 2013-06-03, 17:44   Link #291
Nakorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
Is it a human rights violation if it's with full consent of the individual?

You guys are too quick to jump to conclusions.

Why are the hideaze abominations? Just because they look different? That is literally like saying dolphins are abominations because they chose to evolve into dolphins while we shared a common ancestor...

The real abomination is that both sides are perpetuating endless war. Welcome to the industrial military complex, now in Space™.
People who are sick and in pain want to die (euthanasia) but giving them such an option is illegal in most places.. even nowadays people cannot control their own lives..

our common ancestor could say we are abominations or the dolphins.. but he is gone, and the squids want to do the same, make their ancestor ( humans) go away into oblivion.
Old 2013-06-03, 17:48   Link #292
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Sorry for being OT, but wow this must be a new record: