AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-07-13, 08:29   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1019 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

How's it going, folks? Credit for the spoiler info goes to AP's Redon and co.:

-Chapter title is "Heliceratops". Splash is a color page.

-Chapter begins with Sanji vs. Queen! During the battle, the cook comments that Queen's cyborg technology would be of interest to Franky. Nearby, the minks prepare to administer Zoro with the special medicine... by literally injecting it through his multiple layers of bandages, heh. Outside the island, in the Heart Pirates' submarine, Luffy finally regains consciousness! The first thing he does upon waking up is to yell for meat....

-We then cut to Franky vs. Sasaki. The enemy pirate finally reveals his hybrid form, as well as the fact that he uses a special kind of sword! It's a blade that essentially functions like a drill, which is named the Karakuri Rasentou Mechanical Spiral Sword). He can also use his neck frills to fly as if they're helicopter propellers, hence the "Heliceratops" from the chapter title! The two engage in a heated battle, and it soon reaches the point where Franky forces himself to eject from his Shogun armor! But he then follows that up by blasting Sasaki with a Radical Beam, which seems to finish off the triceratops man....!!!

-Finally, we cut back to Yamato vs. Kaidou. The emperor's offspring has transformed into her hybrid form, though we still don't know which specific Zoan she is yet. Kaidou acknowledges her strength, but comments that he didn't intend to give her that particular fruit, which he obtained with great difficulty. Yamato merely responds that she ate it because she was hungry at the time....

-Just to clarify, this next break is the MAGAZINE'S, not Oda's. So ALL SJ manga will be on break next week.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-07-15 at 11:23.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-13, 17:01   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hard to tell what kind of Zoan Yamato is. Not a dinosaur, at least.
Old 2021-07-14, 01:28   Link #3
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Hard to tell what kind of Zoan Yamato is. Not a dinosaur, at least.
Does it look like a tiger? In connection with the Tiger vs Dragon trope, since Kaido's DF is the Fish-Fish Fruit, Model Azure Dragon/Seiryuu, wouldn't it make sense for Yamato's DF to be the Cat-Cat Fruit, Model White Tiger/Byakko?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 07:20   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That's been the long standing theory, but that doesn't look like a tiger to me.
Old 2021-07-14, 09:23   Link #5
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

There are people saying that it could be a Qilin/Kirin.
Old 2021-07-14, 14:57   Link #6
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
There are people saying that it could be a Qilin/Kirin.
However, Kaku of the CP0 (formerly of the CP9) already has the Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe (or Kirin in Japanese). Maybe Oda will have the Mythical Zoan variant as the Uma Uma no Mi: Model Qilin instead?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-14, 19:48   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
However, Kaku of the CP0 (formerly of the CP9) already has the Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe (or Kirin in Japanese). Maybe Oda will have the Mythical Zoan variant as the Uma Uma no Mi: Model Qilin instead?
Damn, that's a good point. I totally forgot about Kaku.

I guess it all depends on what kind of base animal you think it looks like.

If its a cat then its the white tiger.
If its a deer like thing then maybe a Kirin.
If its a canine or fox then... I have no idea.
Old 2021-07-14, 21:26   Link #8
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Kirin(麒麟) is still the Japanese name for the Chinese Qilin though... which means both "giraffe" AND the mythical "Qilin/Kirin" in Japanese.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 08:06   Link #9
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I think Yamato is based on Sphynx Cat model? Could be either Sphynx, Balinese, or Siamese cat model if I look at it. Definitely is a long ears type, and few cats are having long ears.

It could be also Caracal if I look at the model.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 10:08   Link #10
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Considering how Kaido said getting the fruit took a lot of effort, it can't be a vanilla Zoan. Kaido's the only one on his crew with a Mythic Zoan, so I suppose Yamato would mirror him in that respect.

I also like the parallel to Luffy, eating a Devil Fruit a Yonko obtained with great pains because they were hungry

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 11:46   Link #11
marvelB

Alright, summary updated! Man, I gotta say I really dig Sasaki's fighting style! His hybrid form doesn't look half-bad either, IMO. Bit of a shame that the fight seems to have wrapped up just as things were getting good, though... but hey, I'll take it. Plus, it's great to see Franky kick some ass again after so long!

Now, as far as Yamato's fruit goes.... yeah, the lack of stripes seems to indicate she's not a tiger, so I'd also lean toward the Qilin/Kirin theory. However, another legendary creature came to mind for me..... could Yamato's fruit possibly be based on the Nue? It even has a tiger's limbs, which would fit with the longstanding theory (though again, the hybrid form had no visible stripes). And besides, it wouldn't even be the first time we've gotten a mythical Zoan based on a yokai, since Catarina Devon from Blackbeard's crew is a Kyuubi/Ninetails Zoan. I think it's something worth considering.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 13:32   Link #12
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Alright, summary updated! Man, I gotta say I really dig Sasaki's fighting style! His hybrid form doesn't look half-bad either, IMO. Bit of a shame that the fight seems to have wrapped up just as things were getting good, though... but hey, I'll take it. Plus, it's great to see Franky kick some ass again after so long!

Now, as far as Yamato's fruit goes.... yeah, the lack of stripes seems to indicate she's not a tiger, so I'd also lean toward the Qilin/Kirin theory. However, another legendary creature came to mind for me..... could Yamato's fruit possibly be based on the Nue? It even has a tiger's limbs, which would fit with the longstanding theory (though again, the hybrid form had no visible stripes). And besides, it wouldn't even be the first time we've gotten a mythical Zoan based on a yokai, since Catarina Devon from Blackbeard's crew is a Kyuubi/Ninetails Zoan. I think it's something worth considering.....
One of Japan's Yokai is Bakaneko, I could expect Oda may modeled Yamato's fruit based on that.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 21:39   Link #13
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
..... could Yamato's fruit possibly be based on the Nue?
Unfortunately, that's already been taken: Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Nue

EDIT: Yet another great fight chapter. Sasaki was a fun opponent but was strong enough to push Franky (and Franky Shogun!) to the brink. But I've noticed that just like the follow on from Jinbe's fight, Oda hasn't really focused on the immediate aftermath of the Tobi Roppo's "defeat"; he's just skipped to a different area. I have a feeling that even if Black Maria is "defeated" in the next two chapters, some kind of curveball is coming.

As for Yamato, I'm personally guessing their fruit is more akin to some kind of Okami rather than a Qilin or Byakko; the ガルル is sort of a giveaway. But we'll see.

EDIT2: Also the Where's Wally thing was pretty cool by itself.

Last edited by OH&S; 2021-07-16 at 05:11. Reason: Read the chapter
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-16, 04:44   Link #14
Rainbowman

Quote:
Damn, that's a good point. I totally forgot about Kaku.

I guess it all depends on what kind of base animal you think it looks like.

If its a cat then its the white tiger.
If its a deer like thing then maybe a Kirin.
If its a canine or fox then... I have no idea.
Sure hope it’s a cat.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-16, 07:34   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The fight between Franky and Sasaki was pretty cool... and funny. I'm hoping Robin and Brook will get the same treatment as Jinbei and Franky.
Old 2021-07-16, 10:03   Link #16
TURI123456

I'm doesn't try to start here a fight or something but someone can explain to me why the fight Franky vs Sasaki can be could a good fight? I mean One Piece has (at least in my opinion) a bad power level but even if we leave that part aside I don't understand what was so good in this fight first that fight End in one chapter, secondly, we still know close to nothing about Sasaki, third this fight was a normal fight for Franky character nothing new here and Franky not even get so much damage from this fight.
About Yamato, her/him Devil Fruit is still unknown so I will wait for my opinion about it for now. But something that I don't like about Yamato's character is the fact that she/he continues to could herself/himself "Kozuki Oden" I mean it's fine to admire someone but still there is a limit to this.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-16, 13:17   Link #17
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
One of Japan's Yokai is Bakaneko, I could expect Oda may modeled Yamato's fruit based on that.
Her (his) fruit seems more canine than cat-based, judging from her hybrid form's snout from the angle between her and her father Kaido. It might be based on the Okuri Inu (or Okuri Okami; translated to "send-off dog/wolf" in English), a supernatural dog or wolf who follows lone travelers late at night.
Then again, a Kitsune might make more sense considering their transformation abilities and how she (he) wishes to be Oden... assuming it's possible for there to be two mythical fox zoan df users.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 15:51   Link #18
necrolyte

I like the desing of Yamato's DF and also the fact that she is able to stand against her father and not loose ground but I am quite surprised that Oda used this nonsense with Oden again.. I would really appreciate if he can drop this shit from One Piece and never mention it again.
Other than that, Franky's fight was ok imo but it was nothing spectacular, I like the way he used his robot as a decoy but that's basically it.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-17, 18:29   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
I like the desing of Yamato's DF and also the fact that she is able to stand against her father and not loose ground but I am quite surprised that Oda used this nonsense with Oden again.. I would really appreciate if he can drop this shit from One Piece and never mention it again.
Other than that, Franky's fight was ok imo but it was nothing spectacular, I like the way he used his robot as a decoy but that's basically it.
I'm sure she'll drop it by the end of the arc. It's really not healthy to try to be someone else, no matter how much you admire them. She should be her own person and forge her own path. Luffy wants to be Pirate King but he's not trying to be Roger.
Old 2021-07-17, 22:45   Link #20
itachi-san314

I wasn't expecting Franky's fight to finish so quickly. It was nice to see him in action after all the short sequences and off panels, but I was hoping for a longer, more character driven fight like he had with Sr. Pink. Who's Who got me hopeful, but Sasaki is basically a nothing character I guess. The action was good though.

Quote:
As for Yamato, I'm personally guessing their fruit is more akin to some kind of Okami rather than a Qilin or Byakko; the ガルル is sort of a giveaway. But we'll see.
that was my first thought. It's clearly a mythical zoan based on Japanese lore, fitting considering Wano and Kaido's DF

Quote:
Also the Where's Wally thing was pretty cool by itself.
yea that was incredible. the main color page is great too
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote