Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-09-04, 15:26   Link #2201
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Finally. I'd say that the extra week the PS4 has in North America will be more valuable than the week the Xbone has in Europe. However, it shouldn't make too much difference in the long run. I do expect that a lot of features of the Xbone will be incomplete at launch - even more than what we already know about.
At this stage, the weeks after release will make a difference not by sales, but by which side would have more bad press from the hardware glitches.

Both sides would be sold out and be filling preorders for some time. But the initial feedback and complaints from the First Adapters will be what would influence purchase decisions for months after. And we won't know who would have worse glitches until customers try them out for real.
Old 2013-09-04, 16:04   Link #2202
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I feel that it shouldn't be about launch that is the main concern for Sony and Microsoft. I mean no doubt, getting the product out there is important, but I feel that the first two weeks after launch is the main concern. Despite the differences of dates.

It is going to be chaos once launch start, many people will be edging to get their systems. They of coarse are the hardcore gamers, however the majority of regular gamers or casual gamers will be coming to get their system within that two week period.
This is especially true when you consider that the three weeks that will make up the "two week" periods of PS4 and Xbox One will coincide with Black Friday*, with most people waiting for that day before buying some video game titles/system in order to take advantage of either a sale or a system bundle (not to mention that a number of video game purchases that day are meant to be saved for Christmas). As such, one thing that Sony and Microsoft will need to ask themselves is "Along with the systems that will fill the pre-order demands, will we also be able to produce enough PS4/Xbone systems to be sold on Black Friday?". In terms of Nintendo, I'm sure that the company will have something up their sleeves to please the Black Friday crowds (especially with the Super Mario 3D World and the 3DS sequel to Zelda: Link to the Past coming out the same day as Xbone). However, depending on how many systems that can be made between now and November 29th, the possibility of the next-gen systems of Sony and Microsoft being available on that day is very questionable.

*For those who live outside of the USA, Black Friday is the term that is used to refer to the day after Thanksgiving that is considered the official start of the holiday shopping season, with many stores opening very early and having huge sales to encourage customers into shopping at their place.
Old 2013-09-04, 16:37   Link #2203
4Tran

Quote:
It is going to be chaos once launch start, many people will be edging to get their systems. They of coarse are the hardcore gamers, however the majority of regular gamers or casual gamers will be coming to get their system within that two week period.
I think that we can think of potential game buyers in four broad categories: early adopters, enthusiasts, mainstream gamers, and casual gamers. Of these four, the early adopters are the ones who buy as soon as possible and the enthusiasts will buy as long as there are games and features they want. In most cases, these two groups are the only ones who will be buying a new console from launch to a few months afterwards. They're the groups that you tout as important word of mouth forces.

The majority will start buying new consoles ~6 months after they come out. Casual gamers will wait until either the prices come way down, or if a system becomes a fad.

Quote:
Finally, there is the "invisible hand" in gaming by of coarse those who only own their game systems at launch will undoubtedly be the strongest of force to which company gets the most success. The first buyers will give their impression of each system to their closest friends which will either result in buying the system or not. Then, like women's gossip, spreads fast by voice, emails, twitter or whatever means.

For Sony and Microsoft, their biggest worry to their profits and investment is this two week period. Whoever wins the two week period, wins for the long term. In my opinion.
A two-week period is too little time. The main keys are who wins the launch-Christmas period, and how well the systems do in the January-February lull. In general, this game is all Sony's to lose as they're already assured of selling out in both Europe and North America. Microsoft is fairly secure in North America, but their European numbers probably look pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
At this stage, the weeks after release will make a difference not by sales, but by which side would have more bad press from the hardware glitches.

Both sides would be sold out and be filling preorders for some time. But the initial feedback and complaints from the First Adapters will be what would influence purchase decisions for months after. And we won't know who would have worse glitches until customers try them out for real.
I think that both systems will be thoroughly tested to the point that we won't many hardware glitches - those will come after a couple of years of use. It's going to be the software glitches and incomplete features that will be the stories of the day. I'd be very surprised if the Xbone has fewer issues than the PS4. Sony seems to be so very much further along in software development while Microsoft has already scaled back a number of features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
This is especially true when you consider that the three weeks that will make up the "two week" periods of PS4 and Xbox One will coincide with Black Friday*, with most people waiting for that day before buying some video game titles/system in order to take advantage of either a sale or a system bundle (not to mention that a number of video game purchases that day are meant to be saved for Christmas).
The number of consoles sold on Black Friday isn't really all that important. The consoles launch at $400/$500 and they're unlikely to see any significant discounts. What is important is that the success of the consoles will also determine the sales of games and peripherals.
Old 2013-09-04, 17:04   Link #2204
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I think that both systems will be thoroughly tested to the point that we won't many hardware glitches - those will come after a couple of years of use. It's going to be the software glitches and incomplete features that will be the stories of the day. I'd be very surprised if the Xbone has fewer issues than the PS4. Sony seems to be so very much further along in software development while Microsoft has already scaled back a number of features.
While that's true you have to put the company's background in perspective: the 360 has been rock solid on the software front almost from day one while Sony... Let's just say I wouldn't put my trust on software coming out of that particular house given their history

I actually think Sony will have more software glitches than Microsoft however I'm almost 100% certain that Microsoft is going for a Wii U style launch with a massive day one update and even then some features will still be classified as "coming soon".
Old 2013-09-04, 17:29   Link #2205
4Tran

It's all about time and readiness. Microsoft has had to pare back features because they couldn't deliver at launch. Forza is going to ship incomplete, Killer Instinct is going to ship incomplete, voice commands are English-only, external hard drives aren't fully supported, and so on. Microsoft has been reluctant to show off the Kinect media features. These are all signs of a company that's just not ready. Will they be ready at launch? I don't think even Microsoft knows the answer to that.
Old 2013-09-04, 17:50   Link #2206
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
The only worrying element is that Microsoft is talking about specifications when they should be avoiding that conversation. It's probably indicative of how much they're worried about the launch. Same with all the last-minute policies/pack-in offers, etc.

What pack-in offers are they offering?
Old 2013-09-04, 18:10   Link #2207
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What pack-in offers are they offering?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...re-order-deal/

Quote:
UK retailers GAME, Amazon.co.uk and ShopTo are offering the deal, which rewards Xbox One pre-orders with either a free digital copy of Forza 5 or the previously announced FIFA 14.
Microsoft isn't offering this kind of deal in North America.
Old 2013-09-04, 18:41   Link #2208
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
A two-week period is too little time. The main keys are who wins the launch-Christmas period, and how well the systems do in the January-February lull. In general, this game is all Sony's to lose as they're already assured of selling out in both Europe and North America. Microsoft is fairly secure in North America, but their European numbers probably look pretty bad.
If this was the previous generation, I would agree on all your points. These days however, gamers are becoming more smart and more selective on their games. The reason why I stated two week period is because it is before Black Friday. Once gaming sites and launch owners gave their impressions on the gaming systems, whoever is the more impressive, that system will win Black Friday. This falls into pure systems( doubtful), or the bundles (highly likely). That momentum will drive through Christmas and New Years.

I don't know the exact numbers of U.S. sales of the PS4 but I think it is comparable to the Xbox 1. Can you post a table or chart of sells of each game system from each country?

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2013-09-04 at 19:14.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 19:05   Link #2209
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
The number of consoles sold on Black Friday isn't really all that important. The consoles launch at $400/$500 and they're unlikely to see any significant discounts.
Not arguing about that. I'm bringing up Black Friday because it's possible that there may be next-generation "bundles" being sold on that day (not to mention possible sales on the games for said systems, as I do remember Toys R Us having a Wii U game sale on Black Friday last year).
Old 2013-09-04, 21:28   Link #2210
4Tran

Quote:
If this was the previous generation, I would agree on all your points. These days however, gamers are becoming more smart and more selective on their games. The reason why I stated two week period is because it is before Black Friday. Once gaming sites and launch owners gave their impressions on the gaming systems, whoever is the more impressive, that system will win Black Friday. This falls into pure systems( doubtful), or the bundles (highly likely). That momentum will drive through Christmas and New Years.
Nah, gamers make buying decisions much as we always have. The only real difference is the existence of the internet and the availibility of information. Just look at the Wii U - in North America, it sold some 800,000 units in November-December, and it's only sold ~250,000 units since then. The main import of the launch-Christmas sales for the upcoming consoles is to see if the Xbone manages to sell out in Europe.

Quote:
I don't know the exact numbers of U.S. sales of the PS4 but I think it is comparable to the Xbox 1. Can you post a table or chart of sells of each game system from each country?
I don't know if there are any accurate figures available for most of the world, but the 360 to PS3 ratio in the U.S. was about 2:1, in the U.K. was about 3:2. It was about 6:1 (9.4M vs. 1.6M) in favor of the PS3 in Japan, and predominantly PS3 in the rest of the EU and the rest of the world.
Old 2013-09-05, 08:38   Link #2211
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
That 's a little defeatist isn't it? I mean, many 360 owners were former PS2 owners. MS didn't release the 360 while assuming they could never grab the PS2 fans because "they are firmly rooted".

IF MS wants to win this war they need to act like they can win.
Yeah, but Halo is not the franchise to do that with. Halo has always been an XBOX franchise, it never will be the franchise that microsoft needs to pull the playstation audience to them. I mean, there's been four iterations of the main title alone, if that wasn't enough to pull the playstation crowd over, it just won't be.

No, Halo is a safeguard. A title that prevents the opposite from happening: XBOX gamers going over to the PS4. And in that task it will perform just fine.

If they want to yank players from the playstation fence, they're going to have to do so with new IP. Or formerly playstation exclusive IP.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:42   Link #2212
Shadow5YA

Microsoft UK wants us to know that the Xbox One is not actually real.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:44   Link #2213
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

That's just... Stupid ad.

What do they mean, it is almost real? It isn't even a good term.

I thought "Unreal" is considered a good thing, and "real" is boring?
Old 2013-09-06, 09:46   Link #2214
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That motto is totally in the spirit of the Xbox One message- confusing as fuck.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:47   Link #2215
Shadow5YA

Quote:
That's just... Stupid ad.

What do they mean, it is almost real? It isn't even a good term.

I thought "Unreal" is considered a good thing, and "real" is boring?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the marketing team was trying to go for the colloquial "unreal", but the ad just comes off as poorly worded in my opinion.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 09:50   Link #2216
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Finally. I'd say that the extra week the PS4 has in North America will be more valuable than the week the Xbone has in Europe. However, it shouldn't make too much difference in the long run. I do expect that a lot of features of the Xbone will be incomplete at launch - even more than what we already know about.
Yeah this xmas aint gonna mean shit in the long run, Wii U had a fantastic xmas period last year and it actually outsold what the Wii did in the same timeframe, though of course that was due to a lack of supply for the Wii. But after xmas it became one of the worst performing consoles of all time.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 01:38   Link #2217
majestix1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XmD0vPOd5Rk

the "dislike" is strong with this one

........one epic fail for xbox one
Old 2013-09-07, 02:11   Link #2218
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I know it's for NFL, but it's hilarious to see Xbox show off their non-gaming functions.

...Which amounts to turning on and changing channel.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 03:04   Link #2219
majestix1988

yup.....but for me....

my current judgement for Xbone One(even thought its region free now) it could change

the only good thing for Xbox One is Online Experience but its Offline Experience are

so mediocore due lack of 3rd parties or exclusive...this system could not reach more sales on overseas due...some countries could not achieve a good connection for Xbox Live(even though their services is so good)
Old 2013-09-10, 08:08   Link #2220
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

So, microsoft promised FIFA as a compensation for EU preorders except...
This offer is limited to Day one Edition which is was already low on stock to begin with.

They just don't try anymore their shenanigans, do they.