Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-01, 23:06   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

SOTM 2010 - February (Hatsune Miku!) - Entry Thread

!!!Welcome to the SOTM!!!

~Congratulations to Capture for winning the January Contest!~

The theme chosen for February is - Hatsune Miku.
What is that? See here for details.

About the SOTM:
The Signature Of The Month contest is open to all members of the Animesuki Forums. The goal of the contest is to provide a fun and competitive way of showing off and improving the signatures and personal skills of contestants. The winner of each months contest is given the privilege of choosing the theme for the next month.

The contest begins on the first of each month and consists of roughly two weeks of entry creation/submission, one week of voting, and one week off. The entry and voting periods may be extended or shortened slightly as needed.

About the SOTM Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. The theme can be anything, as long as it does not break forum rules regarding inappropriate material. At the end of the month, voters choose which entries they liked best out of all submitted entries and a new winner is decided. Themes cannot be used twice in a row.

The Rules of the SOTM:

1. Contestants are allowed to create, work on, and submit their entry from the start of the contest until two weeks from the start date. This period of time is specified by the organizer every month. Once the entry period expires, all submitted entries are gathered up and sent to the Voting Thread.

2. Contestants must submit original works. This means you cannot simply cut a picture out, slap your name on it, and call it your own. Claiming someone else's work as your own is also not allowed. Anyone caught doing this will have their entries removed from the contest.

To further expand on this rule:
2A. Unless proven otherwise, all entries made by contestants are derivatives of works made by someone else. Thus, no claim of "ownership" shall be made in reference to the image(s) used in the signature entry.

2B. Misrepresenting someone else's signature work for your own is prohibited and will result in an immediate expulsion of the entry and disqualify the contestant from the current month's contest.

2C. In the spirit of originality, "crop" sigs are frowned upon, but not discouraged; however, the contest organizer can call upon all contestants to show the source of their entry(ies) at any time.

2D. Also in the spirit of originality, new signatures are encouraged. However, if you feel one of your older signatures is perfect for the theme and wish to enter it, you may. Just remember that the signature still has to follow the rules stated above.
3. Contestants are allowed to create as many entries as they wish, but are only allowed to enter one. To submit an entry officially, the contestant must mark the post in the Offical Entry Thread containing that entry with the words "Final Entry", or they can submit the signature to the contest organizer using the private message function.

4. Contestants who wish to keep their entries private until after the submission period can private message the contest organizer with their entry. The entry will not be displayed until submissions are closed, unless the contestant displays that entry publicly.

5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes. They must also comply with forum decency rules. If you think your entry will be offensive or reported to the moderators, don't post it, even as a joke.

About the SOTM Entry Process:

Every month, a new entry thread is created. Each month's entry thread is a central spot meant to give contestants a chance to create and improve their entries as well as their skills, in addition to providing them a place to post their official submissions.
The thread is solely about helping contestants with entries, and as such these things will not be tolerated:
1. Nonconstructive and negative criticism (if you truly dislike something about an entry, be polite and helpful)

2. Comments, questions, or complaints about General SOTM affairs

3. Flaming, trolling, and other uncivil behavior that breaks Forum Rules
Anyone disrupting the thread will be asked to take it privately, to the SOTM Generic Discussion Thread, or if the offense is severe enough - reported to the moderators.

This Month's Entry Period::

This months entry period officially starts Monday, February 1st, 2010 and lasts until Friday, February 19th, 2010. Entries will be gathered and put up for voting on Sunday, February 21st, 2010. Voting will end on the following Sunday.

The due date ends at 11:59 (midnight basically) UTC/GMT. The polling will be up one day later after 11:59 (again, midnight). I will try to be as lenient as I can with last minute submissions but only slightly.

It is up to you as a contestant to know what your time zone is in relation to UTC/GMT. I cannot do this for you.

Here is a site that can help you figure that out: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

Good luck to all contestants, and most importantly, have fun!!!
Old 2010-02-02, 00:21   Link #2
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Hmmm... I don't really like the theme but I'll give it a go anyway.
Old 2010-02-02, 03:40   Link #3
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

capture, I love you for picking this theme <3

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2010-02-02, 04:07   Link #4
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
capture, I love you for picking this theme <3
How about loving capture all the time?

I also look forward to this theme as there are many awesome renders floating around.....

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2010-02-02, 06:44   Link #5
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
How about loving capture all the time?

I also look forward to this theme as there are many awesome renders floating around.....
ok well I love capture all the time, just... it's more this time

Old 2010-02-02, 07:28   Link #6
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
ok well I love capture all the time, just... it's more this time
he captured your heart.
Oh dear, here I go again.
Old 2010-02-02, 08:45   Link #7
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

@Moonie - yeah

----

now... I don't like my first try at all... please criticize me.. and I'm aware I still have no border, it's just that I wanted to take care of the rest of the sig first...

v1:

and v2 *only a slight difference*

edit: tried something different, more fantasy like *I'm in fantasy mood XD*

v4:

Last edited by vandakiara; 2010-02-02 at 10:09.
Old 2010-02-02, 11:36   Link #8
JRendell
Manga Addict

*Theme of Epic Proportions*
Old 2010-02-02, 12:19   Link #9
LKK

Are chibi versions of this character acceptable? And what about photos of figures?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2010-02-02 at 12:21. Reason: added 2nd question
Old 2010-02-02, 12:37   Link #10
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

A belated congratulations to capture! When I first saw your entry, I had a hunch it was a win.

Interesting theme, I've always wanted to try my hands on a Miku sig. Will give this a crack.

Can she be wearing a different outfit or does she have to be very, very original including with the school uniform and everything?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-02, 12:44   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Must it be digital work?

Because I've just done 11 collages of Miku and more to come for school work.

I could just scan one or something, I've got no photoshop to do any digital manipulation though lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-02-02, 13:16   Link #12
Preacher

Does Blackrock Shooter count as Miku?
Old 2010-02-02, 13:43   Link #13
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
YEEEEES~ Finally a miku theme A great excuse to procrastinate on my science project

Quote:
@Moonie - yeah

----

now... I don't like my first try at all... please criticize me.. and I'm aware I still have no border, it's just that I wanted to take care of the rest of the sig first...

v1:

and v2 *only a slight difference*

edit: tried something different, more fantasy like *I'm in fantasy mood XD*

v4:
v4 100% I think the render looks kinda weird

First draft

C&C Appreated

(In case anyone doesn't notice I changed my name but you can still call my Ayu or what you used to call me)

Old 2010-02-02, 15:00   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Are chibi versions of this character acceptable? And what about photos of figures?
Yes. It has to be identifiable as Miku though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Can she be wearing a different outfit or does she have to be very, very original including with the school uniform and everything?
Clothing doesn't matter. It just has to be Miku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Must it be digital work?

Because I've just done 11 collages of Miku and more to come for school work.

I could just scan one or something, I've got no photoshop to do any digital manipulation though lol
It has to be a signature format, compliant with the forums signature rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Does Blackrock Shooter count as Miku?
No. Black Rock Shooter is a completely different character.
Old 2010-02-02, 17:01   Link #15
Preacher

First try

Pigtails kinda didnt fit into the picture :/

Gif
Spoiler:

Last edited by Preacher; 2010-02-02 at 17:11.
Old 2010-02-02, 20:14   Link #16
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

@preacher: without her pigtails, the way the render is I can't really tell that it's Miku. But then, I'm hardly a Miku expert.

First try. I'm playing around with a bunch of ideas at the moment. I can't seem to decide on any one direction right now. (And the large number of available Miku pics aren't helping. ) So C&C would really be appreciated.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-02, 20:16   Link #17
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

vandariara The border of V4 is interesting but but V2 look better ( but V2 with the border of V4 would look better ... )
Ayu-smepai Chaho-Chi Look pretty much as something I would expect from you
I would add a border and think about a text
Preacher forget the gift as it look now; besidew the file being too big, it's just not pleasing to the eye

My first try: I played a little with a render and endded with 2 ideas. C&C would be welcome.

( I am still thinking about a text for the second, and I am not sure than the first one could be recognize as Miku enough for the contest )
Old 2010-02-02, 20:20   Link #18
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

@Sage, the blue dots are REALLY distracting to me Espc the ones over her, they dont blend well.
@ganbaru, Im liking the 2nd vers better though both seem a bit plain. Also on the 2nd one her hair near the bottom is really sharp, try blending it a bit more with the bg.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-02-02, 20:58   Link #19
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

1st Draft
Not so sure of it.. C&C appreciated

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
Old 2010-02-02, 21:32   Link #20
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Version 1 of my entry. :P
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Closed Thread

Tags
contest, sotm