AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-18, 22:50   Link #1
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Supernatural-themed anime?

I love anything to do with myths and folklore and demons and ghosts and stuff. :3 I've also recently found myself in love with period anime, especially the Heian era-based ones. (The clothes! Gorgeous! *o*) But Edo works too. In fact, anything with supernatural stuff to it. Oh, but none of those cat/fox/wolf girl things that end up being stupidly romantic/drama-ish or harem-ish. -shudder- I prefer a bit more conflict, but not necessarily in the form of bloody action, although that's fun too, in its way XD Any suggestions?

EDIT:
I've narrowed my wants down to animes similar to Shounen Onmyouji, Harukanaru Toki no Naka de, and Otogi Zoshi. ^o^ Anything else along those lines? +_+ In case some of you aren't familiar with these exact animes, the type is Heian and supernatural, with enough Onmyou elements to it that I fall in love with it. XD

Last edited by Reclun; 2011-01-19 at 15:49.
Old 2011-01-18, 23:50   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Ghost Hunt
Ghost Hound

To name couple good supernatural/ghost ones. I'm currently watching Rental Magica and that possibly could also apply to what you are looking for. I've only watched few episodes so I can't say for sure, though.
Old 2011-01-18, 23:54   Link #3
Simon
気持ち悪い

Mushishi is supernatural without being outlandish, and it has a vaguely historic feel to it without being set in any identifiable period. It's also very, very good.
Old 2011-01-18, 23:56   Link #4
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Can Bleach be considered supernatural? Not that it's really what you're looking for...
Old 2011-01-19, 00:19   Link #5
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Ghost Hunt
Ghost Hound

To name couple good supernatural/ghost ones. I'm currently watching Rental Magica and that possibly could also apply to what you are looking for. I've only watched few episodes so I can't say for sure, though.
+1 for all three
Old 2011-01-19, 01:30   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I like Ghost Hound as an option, but I certainly can't ignore Shiki. Really an excellent series with all sorts of supernatural goodness, lots of suspense and a huge cast of characters.
Old 2011-01-19, 04:42   Link #7
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Ghost Hound seems to be pretty popular. :o Could I have a bit of a summary please? Mushishi is an excellent manga, so I'll probably revisit it in anime form, and I've already watched Ghost Hunt. I know the anime leaves the story hanging, but yes, it is good. The ending was weak, though. XD No, Bleach is not quite what I'm looking for. XD Much too mainstream and dragged out. I'd also like mini summaries for Rental Magica, Shiki, and Kara no Kyoukai? I don't mind modern day, so long as the story and plot are good and the supernatural abounds. ^^
Old 2011-01-19, 04:52   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Kara no Kyoukai is a set of seven film each about murders taking place though supernatural means. The protagonist, Ryougi Shiki, is a girl raised in a family of demon hunters. She had the power to see death through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception and has an impulse that drives her to kill.

The first chapter may seem a bit boring (though I'd simply call it melancholic) but take it has an introduction to the series. The next films start becoming more relevant and interesting.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-01-19 at 05:14.
Old 2011-01-19, 06:05   Link #9
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Interesting~~! I am definitely checking that out! ^-^ Thanks :D If you think of more, tell meee *-*
Old 2011-01-19, 09:16   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=supernatural
Old 2011-01-19, 15:18   Link #11
kitten320

Does Death Note count? We have a shinigami (death God) who out of boredom dropped his notebook and now it is used for killing criminals. Obviosly the chase and inspections start, a lot of suspense.

You can check Shinrei Tantei Yakumo, it's not the best series but has its pluses, it is similar to Ghost Hunt since we have ghost hunting.

Also duno if it counts but what about Umineko no Naku Koro ni? Basicly we have a witch who loves to kill people so she decided to do a game with one of the humans. His relatives are locked in a mansion and are being killed one after another, each time with different scenario.
Old 2011-01-19, 15:53   Link #12
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Thanks for the linky, I checked it out. ^^ But it seems to me I either have no interest or have watched most everything there. XD I did see a few interesting possibles, and they're going on my list, though. :3
Death Note is...honestly, not one of my favorites. It went completely downhill after
Spoiler for Death Note:
. >_< Shinrei Tantei Yakumo is really good, I agree. ^-^ One of my favorites. And the Naku Koro Ni series, as I call them, hold little to no interest for me, unfortunately :/ Thanks for replying though. ^^
Old 2011-01-19, 18:10   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclun View Post
Ghost Hound seems to be pretty popular. Could I have a bit of a summary please? ^^
A young boy named Tarou who lives in a small mountain town was kidnapped along with his sister when he was very young, and has suffered a form of PTSD since. Ten years or so later, he's being treated by a psychiatrist, strikes up an odd friendship with two classmates, and all sorts of weird things start to happen around the town - many of them involving the local Miko and the top-secret lab on the mountain above the town.

Great series - profoundly disturbing, lots of psychology and shinto, and unbelievable sound and animation.
Old 2011-01-19, 19:10   Link #14
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

I may just watch it-it sounds so...so...AWESOME!
Old 2011-01-19, 19:27   Link #15
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Kurozuka – historical, immortal Lady ( rather like kyuuketsuki)
Old 2011-01-19, 22:57   Link #16
NoLongerSane

You could try Requiem from the Darkness. That series deals with the supernatural. There are some episodes from the series Betterman that also has some supernatural elements to it.
Old 2011-01-19, 23:22   Link #17
JRendell
Manga Addict

You want Amatsuki. Fits in perfectly with your specifications.

- Set in the Edo period
- Contains spirits/demons/myths/folklore
- Excellent artwork
- Manga still publishing.

The manga is way better than the anime, personally though. Still worth a look.
Old 2011-01-20, 11:26   Link #18
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Ghost hound is totally on my list. XD Right after I finish Kara no Kyokai, which honestly, confused the hell out of me at points. @_@ Requiem the Darkness seems interesting but Kurozuka and Betterman are maybes. Amatsuki the anime was pretty good, but since the manga is a bit more explanatory, that might be why it seems better. ^^ (I've already seen the anime and read all the chapters out so far. ^^; )
Old 2011-01-20, 12:47   Link #19
qwertyuiopz

ghost hunt is just as good too; mix of ghost whisperer and ghost hunters in anime form
Old 2011-01-20, 12:55   Link #20
Razziell22

Second Shiki Great anime imo.

something similar to Harukanaru Toki no Naka de anime you mention:
Ayashi no Ceres
Juuni Kokuki
Fushigi Yuugi

also:
Chrno Crusade
Shigofumi
Zombie-Loan
Mouryou no Hako