AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-11-03, 05:48   Link #61
Kazu-kun

^ Yeah, it doesn't look that interesting.

On another note, it seems Mayuyu's seiyuu performance is getting better. I can't wait to hear her as Chieri in AKB0048 second season.
Old 2012-11-03, 10:12   Link #62
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
1:47 - Is that the voice I think it is?

Anyway, the film does look like it might be a bit too convoluted with the sci fi elements and romance elements getting in the way with each other but I still reckon it will be pretty enjoyable. I can't wait to see it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 12:34   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
1:47 - Is that the voice I think it is?

Anyway, the film does look like it might be a bit too convoluted with the sci fi elements and romance elements getting in the way with each other but I still reckon it will be pretty enjoyable. I can't wait to see it.
Kana Hanazawa is playing one of the apparent love interests in the film. She's the dark haired girl with the yellow head band you see in the trailer that looks like she's got that whole refined elegant school beauty/idol (TM) thing going on.

Speaking of character designs, this trailer confirms for me that Sunrise Studio 8 must have some of the most bizzare yet strangely alluring character designs this year across more than a works. Lots of really lanky bordering on anorexic (if seen IRL) looking designs and proportions of characters with limbs that are noticeably disproportionate to their body size. Their females especially look like you could snap them in half like a twig with a little too much force, which makes it all the more strange since most of these shows are ultimately high intensity sci-fi battle anime. Makes me think whoever is the staff character designer has some sort of major leg fetish going on among other things. I think they're working that male gaze thing in any case.

I'm still expecting some major battle sequence out of this at some point despite how it looks in the trailer. I doubt they'll be able to help themselves.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 12:49   Link #64
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Kana Hanazawa is playing one of the apparent love interests in the film. She's the dark haired girl with the yellow head band you see in the trailer that looks like she's got that whole refined elegant school beauty/idol (TM) thing going on.
I guess my Kanae Itou fanboyism isn't as blatant as i thought it was, though maybe it's more to do with Kanae not nearly getting enough roles as she ought to (and most of her main roles being in fanservicey anime) and us rarely ever crossing paths to begin with. Though i guess it's just as easy to think I'm talking about Kana since she has such a sizeable fanbase, not to mention the fact that she's in everything these days.

In any case, I certainly hope that's Kanae that I heard because otherwise I really am starting to lose the plot (though I guess it's bad enough that one half a line from a likely background character in a trailer is enough to make me comment on it. XP)
Old 2012-11-03, 15:43   Link #65
tsunade666

Quote:

I saw the pv (after seeing sakuraso episode 05 pv)

The animation looks magnificent for me but I don't know about the story. I didn't read much about the previews post or tried to learn the summary. I just comes to me to check the pv when I saw it available after watching a video at youtube so I don't understand much but from the pv itself. It feels like there are much to happen but with only a movie length story.

It start from childhood until high school? a one sided crush from the girl to boy with the boy loving another girl who loves another boy. oh boy oh boy story. It looks interesting from the premises along but then here comes the sci-fi with the hourglass? or something device that the new transfer student own. A battle story at the end or a battle story? its like they like to put lots of elements into it but it doesn't have the time to put everything.

Well I hope it will be worth the wait.

Btw I read that its international release. Is is release in hong kong too. I can't read chinese -_- and I don't know how to know on what country its available for showing.
Old 2012-11-04, 05:26   Link #66
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I don't care about haters. This is one of the most anticipating movies for me. Because I like old-school romance and I like most of last Sunrise works
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 12:02   Link #67
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Just watched the movie...really enjoyed it a lot. Very beautiful and fluid animation
Old 2013-06-23, 12:44   Link #68
cyth
Banned

Are you fucking kidding me? This anime is so excessive in everything it does, and total trash to top it off.

Want sakura petals? Here, have a ton, and then some.
A girl is emotionally distressed over a guy's comment, what ever will she do? Of course, she'll give a smack to the guy's face so that he flies over the floor.
Physics? Natsuki has no trouble performing the wildest of acrobatics without breaking a sweat.
Plot? WE MUST MAKE SURE PEOPLE STOP USING CELLPHONES!!

Gawd, ten minutes into the anime I knew I shouldn't be taking it seriously, but everytime Japan does this, I feel like they've run out of ideas. They slapped together this movie just because Sunrise had money laying around somewhere. The romance of not noticing one's feelings was the one thing I enjoyed, but the show is basically a Haruhi without Haruhi, fake Byousoku 5 cm animation that seemingly aims to make fun out of any attempt to create serious Japanese animation.

If you want someone (intelligent) to hate anime, show them this movie.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 14:21   Link #69
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah I'm honestly disappointed with this film. It was very sappy and melodramatic so none of the characters were particularly endearing, and the focus of the plot was a bit wishy washy too. Something about a doomed future and time travelling and then this bizarre side plot about mobile phones that they just decided drop.

I did genuinely lol when Seki burst in to the room with just his swimwear and pulled the phone out of his trunks but other than that I struggle to think of a single scene i genuinely thought was good.

I'd also like to point out the first few minutes were kinda difficult to watch: It's hard to focus when there are fucking petals everywhere.

Overall score: 5/10
Old 2013-06-23, 14:39   Link #70
Folenfant
Banned

I think I may be the only one that is genuinely enjoying this film and think it deserves a lot better than some of the reactions I've been seeing. I'm only about 30 minutes into it, but so far I find it charming and whimsical (especially the way Natsuki is animated) in a way I haven't seen in a while. Not Ghibli or Disney levels of charming (not much is) but certainly more than what I'm used to seeing out of Sunrise Studio 8.

Spoiler for Musings about the Film 30 minutes in:

Last edited by Folenfant; 2013-06-23 at 15:47. Reason: added spoiler tags for others sake
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 16:16   Link #71
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
The film is of course absolutely astonishingly gorgeous with it's watercolor look and animation flares (We don't get that sort of thing enough anymore), to complain about the level of detail and animation quality under any circumstances I think is a tremendous injustice to the efforts of the animation staff at Sunrise. The complaints about the Sakura petals at the start I particularly don't get, if people genuinely find that distracting and unwelcome than I'm not even sure what to say. This is some well above average stuff even if it does make some gratuitous use of lens flare.
The complaint about Sakura petals is completely valid. They are pretty much everywhere, throughout the film. I've watched Kotonoha no Niwa recently, and let me tell you, that's how you animate sakura petals. What they used to animate here was a simple 3D space layer, which wouldn't be that bad if they at least played around with the angle of their scatter paths. Every street and pathway is different, so naturally the scatter should have been different for each scene. My point is: it feels lazy, not to mention their excessive quantity.

As for watercolor effect, are you sure we watched the same movie? Maybe you meant to say the movie has a blurry effect, which it does, and it's just bad. Lightning effects were excessive; it's what adds to the movie's bluriness.

But ... they've done two things right in the animation department: one was the character animation, but again they decided to take it over the top, and it just comes off as disingenuous. But the truly impressive part was wave and water animation. They used some nice layers there that gave it a very realistic feel.
Old 2013-06-23, 16:21   Link #72
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The complaint about Sakura petals is completely valid. They are pretty much everywhere, throughout the film. I've watched Kotonoha no Niwa recently, and let me tell you, that's how you animate sakura petals. What they used to animate here was a simple 3D space layer, which wouldn't be that bad if they at least played around with the angle of their scatter paths. Every street and pathway is different, so naturally the scatter should have been different for each scene. My point is: it feels lazy, not to mention their excessive quantity.

As for watercolor effect, are you sure we watched the same movie? Maybe you meant to say the movie has a blurry effect, which it does, and it's just bad. Lightning effects were excessive; it's what adds to the movie's bluriness.

But ... they've done two things right in the animation department: one was the character animation, but again they decided to take it over the top, and it just comes off as disingenuous. But the truly impressive part was wave and water animation. They used some nice layers there that felt very realistic.
Sorry but I really just flat out cannot agree with anything you've said. My opinion can always change regarding the story once I've done, but I refuse to take away from the overall effort in animation quality. Criticizing a movie for going above and beyond just strikes me as incredibly random and like cherry picking for something else to criticize.

Imagine if people suddenly started criticizing Makoto Shinkai, Katsuhiro Otomo or Mamoru Nagano for his attention to detail and efforts to maximize the use of every frame. I refuse to discourage the industry from efforts like I see in films like this one or the also recent Garden of Words, especially when the norm now is to try to look for shortcuts and things that minimize the visual impact of scenes. The movie also doesn't look blurry at all to me, very crisp and refined actually. Did you watch it in 1080p on a TV with proper display for that format as well as proper settings?
Old 2013-06-23, 16:23   Link #73
Revan21

I was paying attention as much as I could but I still did not understand several parts, like

Spoiler for Huh?:

I was okay with most of the movie but that last 10minutes were confusing as Hell
Old 2013-06-23, 16:40   Link #74
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Imagine if people suddenly started criticizing Makoto Shinkai, Katsuhiro Otomo or Mamoru Nagano for his attention to detail and efforts to maximize the use of every frame. I refuse to discourage the industry from efforts like I see in films like this one or the also recent Garden of Words, especially when the norm now is to try to look for shortcuts and things that minimize the visual impact of scenes.
I think my point was the this movie was taking shortcuts, and lots of them as well, except with character animation. Makoto Shinkai outright said that he likes to show off his craftsmanship, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Sunrise hasn't done such a thing here. If you've watched Kotonoha no Niwa, you'll notice every cut has some form of detail attached to it, be them gorgeous backgrounds or very simple yet elegantly implemented detail effects or animation. Nerawareta Gakuen has some of this, but other scenes are completely lacking. There's of course the issue of this being the longer movie, but as I've said some parts are lazily done, which is something I cannot say for Kotonoha no Niwa. As for character animation, the animation itself is great, but I am criticizing it in the more general context of excessiveness. The bizarro storyboard over which the animators have probably cried themselves to sleep for not working on something more meaningful, certain phrases of dialogue, the way they animated character interactions (for example the slap scene, the pump gun acorn assault), layers and layers of unneeded lightning effects and tons sakura petals, the rollercoaster of emotions--all this is super excessive. Because of it I cannot take it seriously, it feels like some sort of Byousoku 5 cm (short-haired girl with unrequited love, guy with unrequited love, surfer girl) and Haruhi (weird esper transfer student, time travel) parody. It's not, but it feels like one.

Quote:
The movie also doesn't look blurry at all to me, very crisp and refined actually. Did you watch it in 1080p on a TV with proper display for that format as well as proper settings?
Maybe you should take proper trolling lessons before saying something like that next time.
Old 2013-06-23, 16:47   Link #75
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think my point was the this movie was taking shortcuts, and lots of them as well, except with character animation. Makoto Shinkai outright said that he likes to show off his craftsmanship, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Sunrise hasn't done such a thing here. If you've watched Kotonoha no Niwa, you'll notice every cut has some form of detail attached to it, be them gorgeous backgrounds or very simple yet elegantly implemented details. Nerawareta Gakuen has some, but other scenes have a complete lack of it. There's of course the issue of this being the longer movie, but as I've said some parts are lazily done, which is something I cannot say for Kotonoha no Niwa. As for character animation, the animation itself is great, but I am criticizing it in the more general context of excessiveness. The bizarro storyboard over which the animators have probably cried themselves to sleep for not working on something more meaningful, certain phrases of dialogue, the way they animated character interactions (for example the slap scene, the pump gun acorn assault), layers and layers of undeeded lightning effects and tons sakura petals, the rollercoaster of emotions--all this is super excessive. Because of it I cannot take it seriously, it feels like some sort of Byousoku 5 cm (short-haired girl with unrequited love, guy with unrequited love, surfer girl) and Haruhi (weird esper transfer student, time travel) parody. It's not, but it feels like one.
This "taking it seriously"stuff again...hmm...so selective....again all I can say is I simply cannot agree. I do not view my anime in the terms you seem to where you are looking for things to criticize, put down and insult staff and production wise unless given good reason rather than looking for things that pique my curiosity and interest so I just plain do not see these things that way other than the fact that I agree Shinkai has better overall art to his scenes with more lines and details. I don't think the existence of that fact invalidates the efforts of this movie though nor does the degree to which some of the techniques are used.

Again we'll see once I'm done, it seems to be a general concensus that this movie is utter shit or something, but I somehow doubt I'll see it that way in the end. Only a few times in my life have I seen a movie like this has started up like and it gravely disappointed me to the level others seem to be experiencing.

Quote:
Maybe you should take proper trolling lessons before saying something like that next time.
I'm not trolling dude it was an honest question seeing as how I cannot relate in the slightest to the reactions you are having to this movie. Try having some manners maybe would be my suggestion.
Old 2013-06-23, 16:53   Link #76
cyth
Banned

Let's just say that the animation really isn't the biggest problem here. Once you'll watch the whole thing, I believe you could agree with me on at least that point. Seeing though as how you've already established yourself as its defender though (even though you haven't fully watched it yet), I have my doubts about your future honesty!
Old 2013-06-23, 16:54   Link #77
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

So much hate for this movie. Probably it's to old-fashioned for modern audience.

9.5/10 from me and haters... they could just go to Hell
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 17:06   Link #78
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
So much hate for this movie. Probably it's to old-fashioned for modern audience.

9.5/10 from me and haters... they could just go to Hell
I sort of think that's it almost a part of it now. It's the kind of movie that totally runs against the grain of modern late night anime makeups with it's usually pretty straight forward themes and character interactions, and that demographic largely makes up the majority of today's anime viewing audience. It feels like it's out of time and place almost, like it belongs in the 80's and early 90's with all of those mind bending concept films that raise far more questions than they are willing to answer. It probably has a lot to do with it being an adaptation of an adaptation based on a book from the 70's getting made in 2012.

I don't think the haters need to go to hell though (even if they accuse me of trolling or not ) because everyone is entitled to an opinion even if I personally think some people are rushing to conclusions (part of the reason I'm taking this film slow and in parts as it's a heavily anticipated one I want to make sure I have a full grasp on and was forewarned of it's thematic complexity), I'm just really understanding their viewpoints less and less as I press on with this film past the one hour mark. I'm almost fearful of the kind of reaction that the upcoming Short Peace (also produced Sunrise who is on a roll with unorthodox anime films this summer and also looking good) gets now what with being an omnibus format and all. I can already envision it getting hammered for being a series of vignettes that aren't fleshed out enough despite one of them getting some Oscar consideration and winning the Japanese Media Arts Award of Excellence. I mostly predict culture clash being a theme of the threads.

@Revan21: My hope is that I'll be able to answer your questions shortly. Not making any promises though.

Last edited by Folenfant; 2013-06-23 at 17:27.
Old 2013-06-23, 17:09   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Lense flares: the movie.

I was recommended this in the Kotonoha no Niwa thread, and needless to say, I was disappointed. This doesn't hold a candle to it. Cyth hit the nail on the head. The direction is, simply put, excessive. Everything about it is. This movie is a prime example of "trying too hard". It would have been a lot better if it had been more subdued. I didn't like the art direction at all (again, too excessive), but I suppose that's mostly subjective. The character animation was definitely great though.

The story was not particularly good nor engaging. And the last part of the movie was confusing as hell. I have no idea what the hell happened. I had to check if this was a sequel to an already existing work because I felt like a huge chunk of the characters' backstory was missing.
Old 2013-06-23, 17:19   Link #80
Revan21

^ It is a sequel to the novel

Quote:
@Revan21: My hope is that I'll be able to answer your questions shortly. Not making any promises though.
Well, looking forward to that

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to understand the older character's relationship without having read the original prequel novel or seeing the movie adaptations from it

Tags
sunrise