AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-07-07, 13:16   Link #21
HopelessLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder
Not another one!
I'm tired of you fanboys.
You were right about the GameCube,
But Benoit was only stating facts.
My opinion is the Wii will rock despite it's name.
It's quite obvious you came here to argue pointlessly-
you only wanted to get a rise out of people.
If you don't have anything constructive to say,
please post in this thread no more.
Of course you'll ignore me and reply,
but mabye you can understand one day.

Leave us in peace.

lol i didn't even said i liked sony or microsoft, how did you come up with me being a fanboy? lawl. You guys are the real fanboys. An army of them.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 13:22   Link #22
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
I knew you would reply.
And sadly, I had a feeling word for word what your message would be.
But stop this pointless nonsense.
Nobody cares about your flames, the moderators might.
But i've made the mistake,
of calling someone a fanboy.
Why? Because it's just the sort of thing these kind of people need fuel for.
The flames to start a fire,
that burns annoyingly.
Now I ask you again:

Leave us in peace.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 13:25   Link #23
HopelessLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder
I knew you would reply.
And sadly, I had a feeling word for word what your message would be.
But stop this pointless nonsense.
Nobody cares about your flames, the moderators might.
But i've made the mistake,
of calling someone a fanboy.
Why? Because it's just the sort of thing these kind of people need fuel for.
The flames to start a fire,
that burns annoyingly.
Now I ask you again:

Leave us in peace.
ok mr. wannabe poet. lawl fanboy
Old 2006-07-07, 14:21   Link #24
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Moving on...

(Note: Ignore HoplessLover if you want this thread to stay on track)

On the online games for the Wii, will there be a monthly charge? Does anybody know anything about that? I don't think Nintendo would do that but, I still am curious.
Old 2006-07-07, 15:51   Link #25
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

Well, online service will be free, but same thing with the DS: It's up to developers to charge a cost for online services(so if someone wanted to put an MMO on there, and wanted you to P2P, then they could do that). However, it has been confirmed that the main online service will be free.

As for graphics, look at the pokemon game trailer. It looks incredible.

Remember kids, it's not how many pixels you have, it's how you use 'em. Just look at ASH on the DS. Surpassing PSP graphics even.
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 19:06   Link #26
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

HopelessLover, it is important to not just look at what has occured in the past, but understand why they happened. I'm not suggesting the Wii will become the top console of this generation, but looking at what the three console developers are doing now, and comparing that to what they've done in the past, it's quite reasonable to predict that the Wii and 360 will gain significant ground on the PS3 in the very least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Wii still doesn't support dvd playback,
That was only an issue when DVD players were expensive, yet already definite as the next media of choice. One could make the comparison that the PS3 will play BlueRay, however that's not wholly accurate because the PS3 will also not be cheap, and BlueRay is not definitely going to be the next media of choice.
Quote:
has pretty much the same half-assed online promise the gamecube had,
You are misinformed. The Gamecube never had an online plan, Nintendo never promised anything. This time they are promising something akin to basic XboxLive, or at the very least similar to the DS's proven online component. It remains to be seen how much Nintendo will support this, but given how successful the DS's WiFi network has been, I'd say Nintendo plans to go all out and really follow through with what they've stated.
Quote:
has current-gen graphics,
A common misconception. While Nintendo states that the Wii will not be nearly as graphically powerful as the PS3, it is still a significant improvement over the console which brought us some of the most visually impressive games of this passing generation.

It, of course, does not help that Nintendo seems to have always downplayed the graphics power of its consoles since the N64.

People were certain the Gamecube would be the least visually impressive console of this generation, right up until it launched. Some people still insist that it is, despite the proof of their own eyes.
Quote:
and is overall the same thing as the gamecube but with a gimmicky controller and new console design.
If this line of reasoning was as prevailent in console designers as it is in gamers, we'd all still be using a controller similar to the Atari 2600 joystick. One directional stick, and one action button. The fact of the matter is, the gaming media seems universally enthralled by the Wii's controller.

The word "gimmick" implies a feature that is undersupported, and does not add much to the gaming experience. This seems to go against what has been reported about the Wii so far.

Now, I do not comment on your personal decision to like or dislike the Wii, or Nintendo's choices in its design. That's your trip. However, whether or not the system will fail is supposition, not opinion, and it is based on perceptions, again not opinions.

I personally think it will be a bigger success than the Gamecube, though I expect the PS3 will continue Sony's overall dominance of the market. We will, of course, have a much clearer view of the situation once both systems have launched later this year.
Old 2006-07-07, 19:14   Link #27
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
the Wii still doesn't support dvd playback
Did they take out that feature? I thought the Wii had standard DVD support, it just can't play Blue-Ray or HDTV discs (and lets be honest, I'd rather have a standalone player for high quality DVD playback, not something that's essentially supposed to be an "extra" on the gaming console).

I'm not going to argue that the Wii isn't really "next-gen", I think Nintendo might even be on record saying it's actually a "current-gen" system. But then, what's the point in releasing a system designed for super HDTV and stuff when most people in your target market don't yet own the sort of hardware you're designing the system for? Plus, in designing a system that doesn't have expensive extras, they can keep the costs down. The cost of a PS3 is really quite mind boggling for what most parents consider a game system, no matter what sort of technical specs it might have.

Ultimatly, the GCN failed to have any real online support because it's not built into the system. As an optional feature, most software developers have to go with the idea that most people will not buy the $40-$50 add on, and design the game around that premis. Something that has built in online features, it's much easier for developers to decide to use it since every unit will have it standard, it's not something the end user has to go out and purchase in addition to the system itself.
Old 2006-07-07, 22:00   Link #28
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

I'm just glad Nintendo didn't cram all sorts of CD, DVD, MP3 and other such extras into their consoles. I already have technology that does that. What ends up happening is you get five different pieces of technology that can play DVDs, everything plays CDs, almost everything you plug in has a clock (even toasters too now!).

Point is, I don't want my Toaster to play Mp3 files while i'm toasting bagels and poptarts and I don't want my alarm clock to browse the internet just as much as I don't want my video game consoles to play DVDs. Cell phones are plauged with this problem, I just want a cell phone that you can dial phone numbers in. Use a PDA for internet on the go and a DS for video games on the go (A PSP has too many functions for me to even considering buying one).
Old 2006-07-07, 23:15   Link #29
HopelessLover

actually, the wii controller movement reminds me of the time when my sister and I used to shift our old playstation controllers left and right when we wanted to go in a certain direction. So, I guess designing a controller for a similar control scheme like it won't be too bad.

As for the ps3, I have to addmitt its just too pricey, and blue ray seems a-bit forced on, but the games and graphics + free supposedly solid online play seems too good to pass up. Ill wait for a price drop on that =/ I'm definetly trying Wii out, though.
Old 2006-07-08, 02:38   Link #30
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'm really excited for the Wii... Can't wait for the launch Zelda title. Looking at demos, I think the new controller could be fantastic, but I'm also looking forward to the wifi and the automatic updates. Online Super Smash Bros. Brawl anyone?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 03:00   Link #31
HaruhiFTW

Super smash bro. Brawl. I would get Wii for soley this game.
HaruhiFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 07:06   Link #32
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Did they take out that feature? I thought the Wii had standard DVD support, it just can't play Blue-Ray or HDTV discs
It can play DVDs with an add-on.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 10:41   Link #33
Keroshi

Though im not much of a Nintendo Fan. I'm rather impress with their development and the creation of Wii. Something that I like about it, is that how you move your character depends on the movement of your controller. Thats cool for me, not like placing your hand the same position for hours staring into the screen.
Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yDRm8KaWY&search=Wii
And of course E3 Console Wars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqOdU...page=1&t=t&f=b
Keroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 21:01   Link #34
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Also, you can just plug your old GameCube controller in to play Smash Bros. Brawl if it is more comfortable.

Smash Bros. was the reason I even have a GameCube, so I guess it will be the reason i'll get a Wii.
Old 2006-07-09, 07:54   Link #35
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

From what's been told, apparently Brawl will not use the Wiimote at all. The developer himself said it would not make use of the special features of the Wii, and that people should hang on to their Gamecube controllers for the game.
Old 2006-07-09, 07:57   Link #36
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

The SSBB game is being made to work with the Virtual Arcade controller as I recall (which is essentially a redesigned GCN controller)

Quote:
Online Super Smash Bros. Brawl anyone?
Thats already been confirmed......in fact right now the main thing they're trying to get right is the online play being smooth and problem free.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 10:25   Link #37
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

If they put the "Smash the sandbag" thing in, they should make it a Wiimote thing. So the user has to literally wind up his remote and let lose. I wouldn't mind if the minigames used the Wiimote.
Old 2006-07-09, 11:01   Link #38
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Wii uses Opera browser.
They made a damn good choice there, Opera rocks.

<- Happy Opera User
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 14:52   Link #39
DeathStrike
SLASH!

nice finds! they have a lot of anime games for launch. thats so cool. and they have mario thats always fun to play
Old 2006-07-27, 09:24   Link #40
funkymunky

im glad it doesnt have dvd or mp3 functions. it would just take away from soley playing video games. im psyched about the WII!! first person shooter games are gonna be so great! i dont have to pay $2 to play time crisis anymore. my most anticpated game would have to be zelda. i love this new Link look.

and now... dont call me a basher or fanboy/girl or anything, just facts and speculations
- Nintendo president Satoru Iwata described Wii as "the system that never sleeps." Although no definite details were provided, it was said that the standby mode would require very little electricity, about the equivalent of a miniature lightbulb.

- Sony did have a different controller in mind first, a crescent shaped one (looked better in my opinion) but changed it back to a very similar controller they had on PS2 but this one has sensory motion w/o rumble or stereo. alot of articles online are stating that Sony is going along the same route as Nintendo (for lack of better terms)

- now for PRICE, alot of people are unhappy at PS3's price compared to the WII or XBOX 360.
PS3 - around $600
Wii - around $250
Xbox 360 - around $300
pretty big difference in my opinion
funkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, wii