Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-11, 15:03   Link #101
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
About expectations, true at some extend, although debatable. But aren't you being too harsh? You practically buried the show even if it's just the first episode.

To me, it's much more logical to dislike the show based on the first episode in fanservice anime (you already expect the fanservice and if you don't like the art and/or the characters you will not stick to it), then anime which is mostly about the story that will slowly move on and explain itself for the next few episodes. Maybe this show will be good and maybe not, but I would give more episodes a go before forming a definite opinion on the entire show.
We only have so much time. I know that this show isn't going to get better, as it's primary faults are in it's very fabric, stuff that isn't going to change as it goes along. Storyline is all well and good, but if your presentation sucks, and you can't get the audience into it, can't absorb them in your world, you've failed.

Mayoi Chiki is exactly what people wanted -> fanservice anime. They just want fanservice anime, and fanservice doesn't need to be very good to satisfy people's wants. No one is expecting shakespeare.

When you make a "serious" show you can't get away with the corner cutting that you get in fanservice, hence why this show is more harshly judged.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 18:07   Link #102
Forsaken_Infinity

Ugh.. my problem with the pilot episode wasn't the boobs on that girl (which weren't all that unreal after all although they definitely look out of place on that body in some shots; and she does look cute/hot alright) but the cheesy and convenient plot points. Like seriously... protag ran to city from village... rival who hates village comes chasing and gets beaten by a weaker character after she gets fired up and then oh so conveniently escapes en route back to the cell. FML. They ought to do better than that to truly impress me although I will say that I am more on the pleased side thus far. I will be back next episode for sure at least!
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:51   Link #103
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Ugh.. my problem with the pilot episode wasn't the boobs on that girl (which weren't all that unreal after all although they definitely look out of place on that body in some shots; and she does look cute/hot alright) but the cheesy and convenient plot points. Like seriously... protag ran to city from village... rival who hates village comes chasing and gets beaten by a weaker character after she gets fired up and then oh so conveniently escapes en route back to the cell. FML. They ought to do better than that to truly impress me although I will say that I am more on the pleased side thus far. I will be back next episode for sure at least!
It's a bit of a problem with Yamamura's writing style at times. He often has a pretty intricate setup and background to the story but sometimes the chain of events seem a little too plain. I don't find it too bad myself but I can certainly see where it isn't nearly as exciting as it could be.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 23:41   Link #104
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I know that this show isn't going to get better
I always wanted to be born with psychic powers.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 00:48   Link #105
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I would go and buy a lottery ticket!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 02:14   Link #106
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Likewise I could tell Boobanaut wasn't going to get better.

They'd have to completely change their production standards to improve this show.

Furthermore, usually they try and make the first episode the most impressive, so I can only imagine that it's downhill from here...
Old 2011-07-12, 05:18   Link #107
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
They'd have to completely change their production standards to improve this show.

Furthermore, usually they try and make the first episode the most impressive, so I can only imagine that it's downhill from here...
I don't have psychic powers, so I can't really argue on the same level as you, but I should just give you advice that you can't judge anything by just the first episode. The previous season was full of anime that had bad first episodes and got better.
And there were a few anime that started out with great first episode and got worse.

Well, putting that all aside, at least a week finally passed and I get to see Utao again! In episode 2.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-07-12, 05:35   Link #108
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Likewise I could tell Boobanaut wasn't going to get better.

Well its your word, myself personally will continue watching because I'm planning to buy the manga after know from which vol its ended in anime to saving some money.

Well bro, you just heard the most boring story ever from me.

Btw seriously the artwork is good, too bad the anime disappointing a bit in drawing the "reaction face".

And actually the manga have good reception.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:57   Link #109
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
I don't have psychic powers, so I can't really argue on the same level as you, but I should just give you advice that you can't judge anything by just the first episode. The previous season was full of anime that had bad first episodes and got better.
And there were a few anime that started out with great first episode and got worse.

Well, putting that all aside, at least a week finally passed and I get to see Utao again! In episode 2.
As I said, the problem isn't the writing. Writing can be better in latter episodes and usually it is, as they get into the groove of the plot). But the background music and lazy animation aren't going to improve. I've only seen production quality get worse as a series goes on, never better. Likewise I've never seen a "boring male" anime character suddenly grow a personality in any previous show either.

It's not psychic powers, it's just common sense and experience.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:58   Link #110
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
As I said, the problem isn't the writing. Writing can be better in latter episodes and usually it is, as they get into the groove of the plot). But the background music and lazy animation aren't going to improve. I've only seen production quality get worse as a series goes on, never better. Likewise I've never seen a "boring male" anime character suddenly grow a personality in any previous show either.

In other words, the show can get better, right? Because when you talk about a show getting better or not, you are referencing to the entire thing, which includes the story.
As for BGM, I don't really think you can judge a show's BGM by just the first episode. You probably haven't even heard all of the soundtrack.
As far as acting goes, there is no way these voice actors are flat. If you call this flat, you most certainly have not this "experience" that you are talking about. There is at least one actor that even won an award. Of course, your experience and common sense is probably better than the people that chose the voice actors though.
As far as experience on protagonists goes, if you really had this "experience", you probably can find a couple at least. The main problem is memory though.

Whatever.
It's almost the 2nd episode, so I'll look forward to that while seers see into the future.

Old 2011-07-12, 12:14   Link #111
hanashi

To be fair, the girl had ridiculous boobs in the manga so they're just staying true to the character's designs. I haven't looked at the manga in a while, but I think they were toned down some in the anime. (I was hoping they'd tone them down even more, but alas.)

I enjoyed the first episode. I loved the OP; the animation is no Mawaru Penguindrum, but it's not bad either, and the seiyuu are hitting the right notes. What I don't like is that they seem to be toning down some of the complexities of the characters and scenes. I hope I'm wrong and this is the director and writers reordering some of the scenes in the manga to better jive with an animated series. I'm going to be really upset if the Aki is played as a straight villain and all of the complexity in their history is toned down.
Old 2011-07-12, 14:02   Link #112
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The second episode was enjoyable. Continuing to stroll around with the characters, a little character exposition.

The OST is fine, though not anything to write home about yet. Though I do like the OP and ED, especially the OP.

They keep you wanting more. It's not the best show I've ever seen, but it's reasonably good and entertaining and what more can you ask for?

Quote:
I don't see what's so wrong with the animation/art.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 14:09   Link #113
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Just saw the first ep. That opening scene was intense. Story seems interesting. Aki definitely has some problems but he might be right about the village being insane. At least Kyohei sees where he's coming from. Surprised Hibino didn't know about the village before though. Looks like utao going to get some serious training.
Old 2011-07-12, 14:44   Link #114
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Utao is not bro-con enough ! xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 15:09   Link #115
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This is far from being a great show, but it continues to be enjoyable. Just slow and awkwardly written (by my least favorite successful anime writer, Uezu Makoto). But I'm enjoying the characters and the basic plot.

The seiyuus don't sound "flat" to me. Okamoto Nobuhiko is a terrific seiyuu. Fukuen Misato is reasonable as Utao, and Kayano Ai as Hibino is doing a much better job, for me, than she did with Menma. Showing some range. She's clearly a designated up-and-coming young seiyuu, but Menma didn't show me why. This does.

I don't have the highest hopes for this show, but it won't be the seiyuus or the animation that turn me off.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 15:22   Link #116
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I very much enjoyed the new character played by Miyuki Sawashiro. She's a pretty entertaining mad scientist. Alas, the episode was flat-out boring save for the PS2 crushing scene (I actually thought it wasn't such a bad idea for Utao to play games through Kukuri to increase her skills... turns out I was dead wrong).
Old 2011-07-12, 16:32   Link #117
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Have to agree with Hibino that Kyohei does look better when dealing with Utao and by extension Kukuri. When just dealing with her in alone situations the guy is really weak, but I guess through his dark past that he's gained the stronger side we can see now. I do wonder if he's going to take control of Kukuri at some point. I know that clearly a huge tragedy occurred before and the cost of what happened was high. It was clearly so bad that Kyohei didn't want anything to do with the village or the kakashi. But just leaving doesn't erase the past and now the situations are going to get more complicated with having to hide things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I very much enjoyed the new character played by Miyuki Sawashiro. She's a pretty entertaining mad scientist. Alas, the episode was flat-out boring save for the PS2 crushing scene (I actually thought it wasn't such a bad idea for Utao to play games through Kukuri to increase her skills... turns out I was dead wrong).
I didn't think it was a completely bad idea, but I did have a kind of bad feeling. Didn't think she'd just smash the system though, just break the controller .
Old 2011-07-12, 18:04   Link #118
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

A very "meh" second episode, but not particularly bad. I'm willing enough to give this series another couple of episodes to impress me.

I was slightly confused about the bathroom scene. What did Kyohei do wrong? Was it girls' only or something?
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 18:33   Link #119
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
In other words, the show can get better, right? Because when you talk about a show getting better or not, you are referencing to the entire thing, which includes the story.
As for BGM, I don't really think you can judge a show's BGM by just the first episode. You probably haven't even heard all of the soundtrack.
As far as acting goes, there is no way these voice actors are flat. If you call this flat, you most certainly have not this "experience" that you are talking about. There is at least one actor that even won an award. Of course, your experience and common sense is probably better than the people that chose the voice actors though.
As far as experience on protagonists goes, if you really had this "experience", you probably can find a couple at least. The main problem is memory though.

Whatever.
It's almost the 2nd episode, so I'll look forward to that while seers see into the future.
Not all the seiyuu are bad, the leading seiyuu are quite good, in fact. But all the secondary seiyuu are flat and dull. Just watch the bar scenes, it's awful. Likewise the father of boobgirl was also quite flat and dull.

Regarding BGM, BGM is usually reused throughout a series, I can't see any reason to expect an improvement, unless they intentionally revamp it due to criticism. The BGM is just poorly produced.

Regarding writing, it may indeed improve, but it won't improve enough to overcome the problems above. Some things just can't be overcome. The series can become "serviceable" but it can never be "great". I don't know about you, but "serviceable" isn't enough for me, there's 100s of other equally serviceable series I could watch.

I would contrast this series with Sacred Seven. Both series have somewhat dull plots that could improve, but Sacred Seven has top notch production values. The animation is smooth, the character designs fine, and good unobtrusive BGM. Sacred Seven's production values will probably be a little rougher around the edges, but it's going to likely remain solid for it's run. Whether it will be great or not is purely up to how well their writing is. Personally I don't think it's going to turn out much better either, but I'll admit to the possibility of being wrong on it.

In this show I see no potential for it to elevate itself, bar some kind of miraculous change in how it handles itself. Every great show I've ever seen always had some kind of "spark" of creativity that was apparent in it's first show. Whether it continued to be great was down to how well it was able to keep it up or improve on it. I just feel like the producers aren't really making an effort with this show.

The only show I've seen overcome lack of production quality was Higurashi, and it had stellar source material, and the production wasn't bad enough to get in the way of it. Kamisama Dolls doesn't feel like it has a particularly outstanding source material so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't see what's so wrong with the animation/art.
The animation in the "money scenes" is fine, but if we look at secondary characters and scenes that's where the problem is. Look at the bar scenes in episode 1. They're not awful, but they're a bit stiff.

In closing this show isn't awful, but it's not amazing either. It's basically Mediocre, and I can't see that changing. I've been watching first episodes of shows for 5-6 years now, this fits the mediocre mold pretty well. I've never seen a show with such a first episode turn into anything memorable.
Old 2011-07-12, 18:39   Link #120
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
A very "meh" second episode, but not particularly bad. I'm willing enough to give this series another couple of episodes to impress me.

I was slightly confused about the bathroom scene. What did Kyohei do wrong? Was it girls' only or something?
He was casually walking around in his boxers, and he had his hand down them...

I'm not a particular fan of the lazy artwork myself, but other than that, I like where the series is headed. I also like how grounded it is, with people from outside the village taking notice an wondering what's going on. I hope it'll stay on this path and become more of a mystery-type show, as opposed to another ordinary action series.

And Kukuri completely toppling over and smashing the PS2 seriously made me lol for some reason.

I'm surprise there are so many complaints about the show so far, with some people going as far as outright slamming the entire series from watching just the first episode. It's only been two episodes so far, and we still don't really have a clear idea of what's going on in the background yet. It might be a kinda slow series, but it seems like it's also trying to develop somewhat of a two-sided story.(one side about the village and the mystery behind its inner workings, the other about the rest of the world and people trying to figure out what's going on with all the strange activity) I think the series does have the potential to become great.

Tags
action, fantasy, horror, romance, seinen