AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 200 81.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 11.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 5.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-05, 07:55   Link #121
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
You got a point... I believe that it was some kind of terminal illness. I thought that after seeing the image of Soujiro crying on Kanata's bed. That's a pretty common image after telling someone you love that you are going to pass... But, don't doctors ask family first if they want the ill person to know?

It is also possible that Soujiro decided to tell her and he couldn't hide his sadness. Kanata smiling after hearing what is happening to her fits very well to her personality... What do you think?
Spoiler for Do you mean this scene?:

Personally, I don't think he's crying in that scene, but sleeping on her lap. Obviously his face seems a little troubled, but you don't see him sobbing or moving during the entire scene, so it would have a double meaning. However, I see your point judging by the timeline. The scene that precedes ( Soujirou pushing a wheelchair with Kanata and Konata in her arms ), and the scene that follows ( the two of them watching the sunset ) and the one after that, the one with the garden full of flowers. After that, that scene ends. It does seem like a little timeline in small segments.

However, I'm not 100% sure that she passed away right after giving birth to Konata, since right at the beginning, we see Soujirou mourning and Konata on the ground, sitting beside him. I'm not an expert on babies, but I don't think they'd be able to sit like that right after being born. Maybe a couple of weeks after?

But the fact that Kanata was small could really have something to do with her death. She also doesn't seem to me like someone who has perfect health ( Take Yutaka, for example. It seems like it runs in the family - that is, if Cousin Yui was Kanata's relative instead of being Soujirou's relative, but correct me if I'm wrong. ).

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-05, 08:50   Link #122
Peanutbutter

I'm willing to bet it's the good ol' J-drama cliche...Kanata has leukemia after giving birth to Konata and then passes away not too long after.

Anyway, I dun think they'll explain how she died. Defeats the Lucky Star image.
Old 2007-09-05, 08:51   Link #123
That was embarrasing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Spoiler for Do you mean this scene?:

Personally, I don't think he's crying in that scene, but sleeping on her lap. Obviously his face seems a little troubled, but you don't see him sobbing or moving during the entire scene, so it would have a double meaning.
Yeah, taht was my fault... Obviusly, I missed few seconds of the scene because of the subs, but he is not definetely crying at all. But, in that scene we can't see Konata anywhere, not even a simple cradle. And the fact that she is on a hospital bed... still looks a little weird to me.

And, I do not also know about babies, but, doesn't it looks strange that a birth complication lasts a few weeksto really hurt? I mean, and I apologize for my English level (it is a little difficult to express some things), that, if a woman really gets hurt during the birth she feels very tired. And probably her life lasts the time shee need to hug the baby between her arms... Doesn't seem like the scenes we were talking about.

Furthermore, the ill aspect of Kanata, and the image of Konata sitting (sorry, I couldn't find the scene you said) just add to the terminal illness theory. Moreover there is a strange scene I cannot understand. The flashback when Souchiro and Kanata go to the beach, she returns hiding her nose and mouth with a handkerchief. This could be also proof of her ill aspect...

More opinions?
Old 2007-09-05, 09:40   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We'll probably just have to tag it as "romantic movie death" and be happy... the details do make it appear less likely it was directly related to childbirth but, basically --- whatever. The point is she's deceased.
Old 2007-09-05, 09:47   Link #125
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Wow...interesting and informative theories up there. Yeah Vexx, some of us are maybe gonna tag Kanata's death under, as you would put, "romantic movie death". Though you can't deny there will always be LS fans who will definitely want to know how she died, eg me

Maybe this subject will come up in the next episode? It's possible.
Old 2007-09-05, 11:16   Link #126
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We'll probably just have to tag it as "romantic movie death" and be happy... the details do make it appear less likely it was directly related to childbirth but, basically --- whatever. The point is she's deceased.
I'd say it's almost the exact same situation you have in the 2004 live-action movie Be With You. Mom gives birth to child, grows sick soon after and dies, her death may have something to do with her childbirth, but probably not a direct correlation.

Okay.....who am I kidding here? 10/10 from me, of course.

EDIT: I just realised I'm pairing a Zetsubou Sensei avvie with a Lucky Star sig. Completely wrong.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-09-05 at 11:26.
Old 2007-09-05, 11:35   Link #127
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

lung problems maybe? or she has cancer... damn it i don't wanna think about her sickness makes me feel more sad she's gone before even L*S stared.
Old 2007-09-05, 11:36   Link #128
Rion Steiner

C-c-c-c-Combo Breaker!!
Kidding, got hyped up, episode 22 deserved to have 100+ perfect 10 votes.

Really happy they introduced Kanata to us. Sounds weird but Kanata deserves no other person in existence than Soujirou Izumi. (I snickered, but Im serious)

Anyone noticed Misao's phone scene? It was so freakin cute! She made Kagami snap her Poki and her "etto ne..... ah.. nandaka (sorry if I misspelled)" is a "Death-by-moe". I gotta say her seiyuu is as talented as Aya (Konata's Seiyuu). Im gonna search for more of her works in other anime series.
Old 2007-09-05, 11:58   Link #129
Solafighter
Hige

Very greate episode. Sadly about Kanata.
Old 2007-09-05, 12:36   Link #130
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
Maybe this subject will come up in the next episode? It's possible.
Even though its possible, its hard to believe it actually shall happen. Kanata and the family had there time in episode 22, it wouldn't feel right if the matter was brought up again at random. If it was to be mentioned, it would have in this episode.
Old 2007-09-05, 13:04   Link #131
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Even though its possible, its hard to believe it actually shall happen. Kanata and the family had there time in episode 22, it wouldn't feel right if the matter was brought up again at random. If it was to be mentioned, it would have in this episode.
Agree. There aren't many "Serious" scenes in Lucky Star apart from this one in episode 22 and that one in episode 17 (16?) about Kagami's experiences with her older sisters. I also liked that segment, and it still falls into the "slice of life" description of the show. And personally, I wouldn't think that mentioning Kanata's death in the last two episodes would be appropriate.

With that said, I'd love to see Lucky Star meet its final moments of airtime under Kanata's guiding. As in, she would oversee the aspects of her daughter's daily life from a distance and, maybe, end with an epic phrase. If there was one "Last scene" I'll always remember, it's the one from Saber Marionettes J to X, where the last ending song comes to an end and the fading title says "Good luck to everybody". That really left a mark on me, and I'll never forget it. If they could do that to L*S, then I think this series will become even more memorable in the future.

Quote:
Yeah, taht was my fault... Obviusly, I missed few seconds of the scene because of the subs, but he is not definetely crying at all. But, in that scene we can't see Konata anywhere, not even a simple cradle. And the fact that she is on a hospital bed... still looks a little weird to me.

And, I do not also know about babies, but, doesn't it looks strange that a birth complication lasts a few weeksto really hurt? I mean, and I apologize for my English level (it is a little difficult to express some things), that, if a woman really gets hurt during the birth she feels very tired. And probably her life lasts the time shee need to hug the baby between her arms... Doesn't seem like the scenes we were talking about.

Furthermore, the ill aspect of Kanata, and the image of Konata sitting (sorry, I couldn't find the scene you said) just add to the terminal illness theory. Moreover there is a strange scene I cannot understand. The flashback when Souchiro and Kanata go to the beach, she returns hiding her nose and mouth with a handkerchief. This could be also proof of her ill aspect...

More opinions?
Here, I meant
Spoiler for This image:

Well, your theory isn't a complete failure because Soujirou's expression does seem really troubled, and I could really see him having cried quite a lot before falling asleep. But mothers won't stay with their child 24/7 after giving birth - Konata could've been placed in another bed or something of the sort while she slept. And I'm not sure about birth complications, but I guess the most deadly one causes almost sudden death to the mother, but there could be other ones, such as an infection, loss of blood and other things. My mother, for example, almost did die when I was born, and it wasn't even a natural labor - she had surgery. She then started bleeding quite a lot. She also had a friend who did die exactly the same way, only two weeks before ( and in the same room as she was, but let's not dive into details here... ) .

And yes, Kanata running with her nose covered and Soujirou's worrysome expression do make me wonder if she had a sickly body. Same thing on the train scene, where she's sleeping besides him. But yeah, as Vexx said, we might never know the true cause of her death. And I don't think we should dwell much into it, anyway. I think it will only make this episode sadder and sadder.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-05, 15:42   Link #132
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
While we're talking about Kanata and how she died, I feel I should mention that the scene didn't have as much of an effect on me as it did for others. I can't help but feel Kanata never got any real development, so I can't feel the kind of attachment to her that would have let the scene be fully effective. Like who is this woman other than Konata's mother, and why is she saying the things she is. I don't know, it just doesn't work without more development. She sure was cute though and the scene was great effort. The best scenes like this though for me is when a character who has actually passed away during the shows run and got the character development during the series run instead of retroactively, get's a behind the scenes appearance in death later on, something like in Legend of The Galactic Heroes, with Yang's fathers ghost or Balgus in Escaflowne.

The rating I gave was a 9.5 rounded up to a 10 by the way too clear up any doubts. This would be I think the second time Lucky Star has received a 10 from me and it's rare for me to give them. I think only a Legend of The Galactic Heroes episode has ever been given a perfect 10 by me.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-09-05 at 16:02.
Old 2007-09-05, 16:27   Link #133
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I reviewed the Kanata sequence... I'm going to guess that she was always frail as well as petite. The flashback sequence seemed chronological and her bad experience at the beach (having to leave because of some respiratory issue) was before they were married. It looks to me as if she was really too frail to be pregnant but wanted it badly enough to risk it.

Looking at Kona's little cousin, lets hope it doesn't run in the family

It is too bad they didn't have Kanata drifting around a bit more often but it is really nice to see one of the older classy VAs get a bit of work --- she has quite the credential list.
Old 2007-09-05, 16:35   Link #134
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
It looks to me as if she was really too frail to be pregnant but wanted it badly enough to risk it.
Thinking about it, makes me love her even more --- and how much she loved Sojiro.

Quote:
It is too bad they didn't have Kanata drifting around a bit more often
Again that would be nice, though i wouldn't want how special this scene was in episode 22 to be ruined. As i said before, even though i'd love more Kanata, i think that was plenty, and it was lovely.
Old 2007-09-05, 17:12   Link #135
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't know about Yuu, but at least, Konata herself is healthy. (Physically... )
Old 2007-09-05, 17:28   Link #136
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Finally got around to watching episode 22. This one hit home since I've also lost my mom. Albeit I was a teenager (15) when my mom died but the ep brought up those feelings back to the surface. I kinda pity Konata in that she never got to know her mom; she's really not aware of what she's missing.
Old 2007-09-05, 17:43   Link #137
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion Steiner View Post
C-c-c-c-Combo Breaker!!
Kidding, got hyped up, episode 22 deserved to have 100+ perfect 10 votes.

Really happy they introduced Kanata to us. Sounds weird but Kanata deserves no other person in existence than Soujirou Izumi. (I snickered, but Im serious)

Anyone noticed Misao's phone scene? It was so freakin cute! She made Kagami snap her Poki and her "etto ne..... ah.. nandaka (sorry if I misspelled)" is a "Death-by-moe". I gotta say her seiyuu is as talented as Aya (Konata's Seiyuu). Im gonna search for more of her works in other anime series.
Looks like it has 100+ perfect 10 votes.

Wait. When you said it, did you mean that it deserves it, or that it deserves to have it?

Anyways, I loved this episode. I always liked the sentimental scenes, especially since there's enough comedy and character development to get you really attached to the characters.
Old 2007-09-05, 17:46   Link #138
jtrog

I liked the kitchen scenes with the snacks and jar. More aspects of life that are funny from the anime point of view. I was waiting to see the bag rip open on Konata and the stuff in side go all over the place like they do when I try to open some chips at times.
Old 2007-09-05, 21:41   Link #139
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I have no words to describe the Kanata scene. While I didn't cry at all, I did find it a very emotionally powerful scene...and that came out of nowhere from Lucky Star, of all shows. I somewhat saw it coming because I've read the manga, but this is one very original adaptation from KyoAni, to give them credit.

Of course, this casts a lot of shadows on Konata's physical health, as a great number of MADs on NicoNico speculate.

By consensus, this is the best episode of the series, I believe. A 10/10 from me, of course.
Old 2007-09-05, 21:56   Link #140
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Of course, this casts a lot of shadows on Konata's physical health, as a great number of MADs on NicoNico speculate.
From what I've seen, I think that Kona-chan's health is fine, otherwise she'd be more like Yutaka and wouldn't have been able to do that run in episode 1 (not to mention the Hare Hare Yukai dance!).

Closed Thread