Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-04-22, 19:36   Link #1
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
GitS Innocence

will or has anyone picked up the project?
SoulDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:44   Link #2
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Actually I was just thinking the same thing, and looking for a place to post this:
Japanese movies invited to Cannes.

"Innocence", and another anime ("Nobody Knows") are the first Japanese animated films placed in the competition category for the prestigious Palme d'Or.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 22:02   Link #3
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulDrinker
I don't know what source they would use considering it has only been released in theaters.

Anyways, I am willing to bet the R2 DVD will contain English subtitles. But I know actually paying for anime is quite a foreign concept to a lot of people.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 23:07   Link #4
Breogan
Umeboshi

I think this show should be considered as licensed. As far as I know it has been picked by DreamWorks for worldwide theatrical release, and the DVDs will come out from GoFish Pictures (DreamWorks' distribution company, in charge of Millennium Actress' DVD release).
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 23:54   Link #5
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
It IS licensed. It was picked up by Dreamworks for their GoFish label MONTHS ago, as you said.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 03:32   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulDrinker
Instead of closing the thread, I have moved it into the DVD & Licensed forum to allow discussion of the movie.

Since it is licensed, please do not ask where downloads can be obtained (or for that matter which fansub group will pick it up). There is another thread in the General Anime forum discussing the trailer but this thread can be used do discuss the movie itself.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 08:47   Link #7
Squall69b
SKay - Tamah0me

So has anyone in Japan seen it yet?
If someone can post some thought...that'd be great!

PS: Prolly to messed-up to understand in one sitting...lol.
Squall69b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 11:53   Link #8
Final

I saw it last night here in Denver at the Mayan subbed...

It really was a lot to take in at one sitting especially subbed so I plan to see it one more time before it leaves town in 2 weeks. It really was a beautiful movie. Some things were hard to tell that they were rendered. But the movie felt like it ran a little long.

I really liked the movie even though I never saw all of SAC or read any of the Manga. I took the kid I mentor to go see it too and he had to wait until the end to get what was going on but its more obvious then first movie. I think its worth the 8 bucks to see on the big screen...

its playing on a lot more screens then I thought it would be so check the site to see if its playing near you the screenings are really short.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 15:28   Link #9
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I saw it about a month ago in Chiba and it's pretty good. It has the same atmosphere like the first movie - lots of scenary shots. The music style is the same.

As Final says, it feels a little long since the dialog and scenary shots are a long time. The dialog is pretty plain and there's very little emotions.

If you are expecting something like SAC, you would not enjoy it as much. If you liked the first movie, then this is down the same lines.
________
Vaporite solo vaporizer

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 12:01.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 16:01   Link #10
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

I was really looking up when i finded out that Motoko Kusanagi wasn't showing up But when i watched it, I noticed it was a good movie, the story was very deep for a movie, but I expected some more of it, but overall its a real good movie and one to keep in mind
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-18, 22:05   Link #11
Za Paper

Not great but not a bad movie either. Better than the first. I'm a big fan of GITS:SAC but not the first movie. Fans of the first movie will probably like this one though. I thought the story and dialogue were somewhat interesting but there were scenes of just background that seemed to take forever and felt like time filler to me. Like the first movie, the action was pretty sparce but it was impressive when it happened. I'll probably watch it again to take in all the details that I missed the first time around.

Spoiler:
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 00:05   Link #12
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I didn't enjoy it. I wasn't a fan of the first movie either so that's not too surprising. Animation was great tho.
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 03:09   Link #13
Murade
oh dear

To me too innocence felt like it was a lot closer in style to the first GITS movie than SAC, it has this more philosophic and artistic approach, whereas SAC seems to rely more heavily onto the dialogue and plot. It has a certain art movie-feel to it, and while there's some quality GITS/I.G action scenes, it's maybe not as 'entertaining' as the series.
I must say that I also didn't like too much about the first movie, and as this second one seems to be more like a remake or tribute to it (it's awhile when I last saw the first GITS but I think there's at least a couple of pastiche scenes in innocence) you need to take my critique with a grain of salt -->

It just felt like innocence was lacking story-wise, and dialogue and ending seemed a bit forced to me. (the dialogue was maybe a bit off anyway because of imperfect subtitles) In graphics department, 3d art and effects were top-notch, 2d animation was usually good but there's some points when it was a bit jerky. More frames or a bit of motion blur would have been nice.

Maybe I was a bit tired and didn't catch all the 'hidden' meanings at the first viewing. I may want to give this kind of movie another try. It's not that I have to force myself to do so, as even with it's some shortcomings, I still find innocence to be a beautiful and stylistic piece of animation.
Murade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 08:09   Link #14
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
The movie it has been done fansubbed, but dont bother to get it ..buy the licensed dvd ^_-
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 20:27   Link #15
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I liked the first movie so I guess good news for me if the second is like the first one. I also like SAC/SAC2 but I'm not a big fan of the constant talking and political chatter.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 03:20   Link #16
Somedude

Heh, just saw it in the theater today. I had to go 20 miles to the only theater within a 50 mile radius to play the movie. I thought it was pretty good despite the epic legacy it has to live up to. I felt that the story was a bit tacked on and took a back seat to some of the more esoteric messages for most of the movie. At times, I also felt like it was trying to forcefeed me bits of plot only to brush over more immidiate parts of the story.

All I can really say without getting into specific plot points is I don't regret seeing it, and if it starts playing at the local IMAX by any miracle, I'll go see it again.

On a sidenote: It was the single greatest theater experience I've had in a long time. The audience was actually silent and paid attention to the movie. There were no crying babies or people talking the whole time. If only all of my trips to the theater could be this great.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:49   Link #17
Poops
Viva Monster Union.

Way better than the fist one. I can say that. Kinda slow at times. End was pretty sweet. Not a lot happnes in this movie. I understood the movie but didn't get all the philosophical talk. Doubt anyone will the first time around.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Poops; 2004-10-06 at 00:05.
Poops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 22:35   Link #18
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I just finished watching it, jesus, talk about overdoing it. It wasn't until the very end that I realized I had actually read the story in one of the manga chapters. I think keeping it simpler would have been better, some parts of the movie was very well done like the lab scene, yakuza and ending but lots of unnecessary crap in between.

Innocence had a better presentation but the first movie had better story telling.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 15:09   Link #19
7thMethuselah

Just saw Innocence today and what can I saw, it's a damn piece of art

GitS Innocence has alot off good points going for it : AWESOME animation, especially the flight over that cathedral like building, the entire part at the mansion and maby other scenes. Along with the music this created an atmosphere which kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole time.
Storywise I was a little dissapointed, it didn't feel like one cohesive story but more like a sequence of scnes in which they could display all their animation and surrounding tricks (did i mention the animation was spectacular). Some GitS fans will be a bit dissapointed (myself included) because
Spoiler for don't read if you haven't seen GitS:
. Also, the crybaby kid was entirely out of place imo.
But this was a very very enjoyable experience and that DVD better be out fast

Comparing both movies I d have to agree with the previous posters, GitS had a better story, Innocence has better animation/atmosphere

OH did I mention the animation just plain kicked ass
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 02:04   Link #20
Rias

I had to resort to the fansubs for my need of GITS, since for some unknown reason they decided only show it like twice in the toronto festival, and no more for the canadians...but when it comes out on DVD I will of course support them...

The graphics is amazing, everyone would agree, but I do find that the first one do have better storytelling than the 2nd one...the 2nd one also had a lot of intelluctal quotes that was quite hard to follow when watching it the first time...

and most of all, I was expecting that

Spoiler:
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote