AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2011-06-14, 04:43   Link #1901
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

"Bad Habits You Picked Up From K-ON!!"

To Kick It Off:

Saying "U~waii!!" when happy (From Yui-chan)
Eating copious amounts of sugared biscuits and drinking sweet milk tea when watching TV/Anime (From Mugi-chan)
Using "Meow" and "Nya" as exclamations (From Azu-nyan).

More to come later.
Old 2011-06-16, 20:45   Link #1902
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since they seems to use some of the more skilled musicians in Japan, I await a third season...if only to see what else HTT can pull off.

Or a 1967 era Beatles level song (with all sorts of time changes...just to see if they can show Ritsu pull it off....see "Good Morning" by the Beatles)
Old 2011-07-20, 03:29   Link #1903
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

i don't know, but i guess this is the best place for asking these questions, hehe.

well, i just watched some of the first episodes of season 1 (admittedly for the first time) just recently (thanks to cable), and yeah, the animation seems different from season 2, as if it has evolved over the seasons. and i noticed something/s weird.

1. episode 5 season1(i think), Sawako trained Yui how to sing and play the guitar at the same time. on the subbed version that i've watched, it said that "Sawako's been training Yui in her place". hmmmm, but how about on episode 26 (if i remember correctly, i have a really bad memory), Yui imagined Sawako's place as a dark and "metal-infused-eardrum-piercing place". how could she guess what Sawako's place looks like, if she have already been there in the first place? or is it just a bad case of bad translation?)

2. not really that important of a question, but noticed in the same episode (ep 5), Mugi was dazing off to la la land quite frequently, i mean a lot (i don't know what she's thinking, and i don't wanna guess either) which she hardly does in season2. well, is that "normal" Mugi? well, i don't really know Mugi's personality that much (the best i know is that she's rich, has thick eyebrows that turn upside down, plays the keyboard, and easily gets amused by stuff, oh and some other stuff that i am too lazy to mention).

bees discovering such stuff, kept me thinking throughout school, hehehe well, not entirely).
Old 2011-07-20, 04:55   Link #1904
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
i don't know, but i guess this is the best place for asking these questions, hehe.

well, i just watched some of the first episodes of season 1 (admittedly for the first time) just recently (thanks to cable), and yeah, the animation seems different from season 2, as if it has evolved over the seasons. and i noticed something/s weird.

1. episode 5 season1(i think), Sawako trained Yui how to sing and play the guitar at the same time. on the subbed version that i've watched, it said that "Sawako's been training Yui in her place". hmmmm, but how about on episode 26 (if i remember correctly, i have a really bad memory), Yui imagined Sawako's place as a dark and "metal-infused-eardrum-piercing place". how could she guess what Sawako's place looks like, if she have already been there in the first place? or is it just a bad case of bad translation?)

2. not really that important of a question, but noticed in the same episode (ep 5), Mugi was dazing off to la la land quite frequently, i mean a lot (i don't know what she's thinking, and i don't wanna guess either) which she hardly does in season2. well, is that "normal" Mugi? well, i don't really know Mugi's personality that much (the best i know is that she's rich, has thick eyebrows that turn upside down, plays the keyboard, and easily gets amused by stuff, oh and some other stuff that i am too lazy to mention).

bees discovering such stuff, kept me thinking throughout school, hehehe well, not entirely).
1. Don't remember much. But that might be a bad translation. In S2, the girls were actually never been to Sawako's apartment (They even search for the address). Yui's training session might take place somewhere. For example, the other music room, maybe? (The large one where Mio's Tea party was held in ep. 7 of S2).

2. Yup, that's normal her. She's the cheery and "always smiling" type after all It's normal if you feel her to be quite different compared to S2. It seems that the personality of the girls were changed quite a bit. (For example, we never see Mio's Moe Moe Kyun and also Mugi's "Vision" in S2).
Old 2011-07-20, 08:28   Link #1905
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:

Options:
A) There is at least one other music room on the campus (as others said, it's the one where the Future Klokateers Association Mio Stalker Fan Club got 'Pure Pure Heart' performed for them,) and it's likely that's where Sawako took Yui to train. It'd have to be pretty far away from the club room, though, since (apparently) Japanese schools are well-known for their thin, cheap, walls.
B) Season One Yui has the attention-span and memory recollection ability of an ADHD Alzheimer's patient. It could be that she (somehow) completely forgot where Sawako's place was, or that she'd ever been there.
C) Yui is a bit of an evil genius who occasionally uses the others' obliviousness of this fact for her personal amusement. Making outlandish speculations on the nature of Sawako's place for the lulz while denying having ever been there would be completely in-character for her.

Quote:
2. not really that important of a question, but noticed in the same episode (ep 5), Mugi was dazing off to la la land quite frequently, i mean a lot (i don't know what she's thinking, and i don't wanna guess either) which she hardly does in season2. well, is that "normal" Mugi?
Season One is, more or less, a completely straight adaptation of the original 4-koma. Only they really watered down the fanservicey bits. The directing staff had much more leeway in Season Two, so the girls get a different, more nuanced, characterization than they did in the first season (with less emphasis on gags.) Mugi's "spacing out" in S1 is something of a gag (which only makes sense if you knew why she's getting the dreamy, spaced-out look,) which is why you don't see it so much in S2.
Old 2011-07-20, 10:56   Link #1906
Goggen

Quote:
well, i just watched some of the first episodes of season 1 (admittedly for the first time) just recently (thanks to cable), and yeah, the animation seems different from season 2, as if it has evolved over the seasons.
Not as much "evolved" as it took a big leap forward in quality between seasons 1 and 2. My guess would be they upped the budget after the huge success of the first season.

Quote:
The official Bandai subs say "She's been getting intensive lessons at Sawako-sensei's..." so it doesn't seem to be a case of bad fansub translation. As for why Yui doesn't appear to remember Sawako's place later on; don't know. Maybe she moved.

Quote:
2. not really that important of a question, but noticed in the same episode (ep 5), Mugi was dazing off to la la land quite frequently, i mean a lot (i don't know what she's thinking, and i don't wanna guess either)
Mugi enjoys the sight of two other people (some might say "two girls", but since boys don't exist on K-On we will never know if it's actually exclusive to females) having physical contact with each other. If you pay close attention; you'll notice that every time she "spaces out" it's because she just witnessed someone touching someone else in some way.

Mio (mistakingly) jumps to the conclusion that Mugi has a crush on Sawako, because she didn't notice those times when Mugi spaced out while looking at her and Yui as well, or anyone, really. Unfortunately, as this was all pretty subtle in the anime (much more clear in the manga) a lot of viewers failed to realize that Mio was actually wrong and believe to this day that Mugi has a crush on Sawako that KyoAni just forgot about. Sigh...
Old 2011-07-20, 11:05   Link #1907
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The animation and art quality increased during the second season slightly because now they had a budget, a known success story, and the production company wasn't animating five other things at the same time (KyoAni was really busy in 2009).

MugiVision is one of those few things I wanted to see more often. While it was classed as fanservice I suppose and mostly dumped, we get a little of it from time to time...plus with Mugi's "date" with Ritsu we get that Mugi wanted in on the "skinship".

The Anthology series based on K-On takes MugiVision to another level...where she almost always has a video camera handy to take pictures of anything remotely like a girl on girl situation. Usually while having a nosebleed.
Old 2011-07-20, 14:09   Link #1908
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Anthology series based on K-On takes MugiVision to another level...where she almost always has a video camera handy to take pictures of anything remotely like a girl on girl situation. Usually while having a nosebleed.
Of course, the Anthology series has a history of exaggerating certain character elements to the point where a character is solely defined by a single quirk - such as the one you mention. Can't say I care for that, but then again, the Anthology series is pretty much just glorified fan fiction anyways.
Old 2011-07-22, 05:18   Link #1909
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

oh, okay. thanks everyone for clearing that out. well let me see, if i got it correctly:
1. YUi's been training either in a seperate music room at school or at Sawako's place. but if the latter would be justified in terms of episode 26, it would seem that Yui may be lying, or must have forgotten, or Sawako probably moved. (hmmm, pretty broad description there, but at least it's not bad subs that is to blame).

2. well, i've figured that much. her actions are pretty much "Mugi-ish" (i could say something else besides this, but i have no idea what), even on season 2. but that kind of personality (along with the others from the other girls) is what makes the whole series such a successful comedy, IMO. (but still, i wonder what she's thinking, while in daze. hmmmm. hehehe).

well, pretty much eyebrow-raisers from season 1 (why am i learning all of these just now).

a. why the heck can Yui play the solo of Maddy Candy, if she was only practicing the guitar for 3 months? (am i retarded, or is it too good to be true).

b. on the music video of Fuwa Fuwa Time, the poster of the 4 girls shown being ripped, and changed into a wanted sign, contained the letters HTT. well, their band will be named a couple of more episodes in the future. hmmmm, conspiracy?

c. wait, i forgot, i'll just tell it when i've remembered it again (a lot of questions can arise from watching the qhole thing for the first time).

really, thanks you guys again....
Old 2011-07-22, 07:44   Link #1910
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
a. why the heck can Yui play the solo of Maddy Candy, if she was only practicing the guitar for 3 months? (am i retarded, or is it too good to be true).
She has perfect pitch. There are more examples of that in later episodes (like Yui being able to tell that her guitar is out of tune and by how much without needing a tuner)

Quote:
b. on the music video of Fuwa Fuwa Time, the poster of the 4 girls shown being ripped, and changed into a wanted sign, contained the letters HTT. well, their band will be named a couple of more episodes in the future. hmmmm, conspiracy?
Not necessarily. Suppose that they're being interviewed for some sort of documentary after they've 'broken through' and have become very popular in Japan. They play that video and the girls think back to the first time they played that song. They then switch between the video and the actual concert footage made back then.

You could also look at it the other way around: we hear the song for the first time, and they then show what a future music video for it would look like, after HTT has become more famous (maybe even after playing at the Budokan for the first time).
Old 2011-07-22, 08:03   Link #1911
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Because Yui is either an idiot-savant, or an evil genius (or brilliant but so completely and utterly lazy, if you find the term 'evil genius' to be too strong.) We know she has perfect pitch (to the point that she's absolutely mystified by Azusa's guitar tuner.) We also know what she's capable of, if motivated enough to get off her butt and do some actual work. Finally, both Hirasawa sisters seem to have the "Learn Skills Instantly" skill (when Yui gets sick, Ui learns to play the guitar in a matter of days, and does it so well that Yui's bandmates only suspect that something is amiss because Ui is such a team player that the band's musical aptitude actually goes up with her playing.)

Quote:
Or the well-known literary device called 'foreshadowing.' KyoAni absolutely loves foreshadowing.
Old 2011-07-22, 12:43   Link #1912
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With the renewed manga going on, it makes me wonder if the "music video" segments could possibly have been made while the girls are in college (the early first season, pre-Azusa, videos done in their first year at college, and the rest afterwards). Or right after college, with Azusa not being avalible due to her still being in college.
Old 2011-07-22, 12:54   Link #1913
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Pretty much like what GMT and Lord of Fire said if you're referring to her playing Maddy Candy at Mugi's villa, then it's mostly because of her perfect pitch ability. Her play wasn't perfect, hence why she felt something missing, and then Mio taught her about the choking technique.

As for the learning ability, In Yui's case, however, are gained with a great compensation too. Once she focused on one thing, she forgot the others

She's a genius, but also a hardworker. She keeps practicing guitar everyday (she also once intended to study drums for Ritsu in s2). Her guitar ability is at its peak when she is at a performance, surpassing Azusa (temporarily), her academic abilities could also surpass Mio at times

Quote:
With the renewed manga going on, it makes me wonder if the "music video" segments could possibly have been made while the girls are in college (the early first season, pre-Azusa, videos done in their first year at college, and the rest afterwards). Or right after college, with Azusa not being avalible due to her still being in college.
You mean the ED video clips? I think that's possible, although I wonder if there'll be a plot that explains the reason why (or what for) the clips are made.
Old 2011-07-22, 13:16   Link #1914
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Class projects? Club activities (the college Light Music Club is kind of huge).
Old 2011-07-23, 17:51   Link #1915
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I vaguely remember an interview where the director and team talk about how the ED music videos are "broadcasts from the future" ... implying some future where they go professional. It was intended to contrast with the obviously amateur OPs.

I also got the feeling it was *A* future - not fixed in concrete. We know how keen the industry is on 'parallel reality reboot alternative" nonsense that lets them pretty much do anything they want at any time

That would, of course, fit in with the "during college" hypothesis you propose and explain the absence of Azunyan in the first videos.
Old 2011-07-23, 18:08   Link #1916
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I vaguely remember an interview where the director and team talk about how the ED music videos are "broadcasts from the future" ... implying some future where they go professional. It was intended to contrast with the obviously amateur OPs.

I also got the feeling it was *A* future - not fixed in concrete. We know how keen the industry is on 'parallel reality reboot alternative" nonsense that lets them pretty much do anything they want at any time

That would, of course, fit in with the "during college" hypothesis you propose and explain the absence of Azunyan in the first videos.
Interesting! That would make sense for the ED music videos, because really, they do seem like 'mature versions' of themselves 'Yui's lack of hair pin'. I wouldn't say the OPs have anything to do with the future. The only thing that would make sense would be the 'Utauyo!! MIRACLE' OP. Since it kind of looks like a homemade video.

Quote:
We know how keen the industry is on 'parallel reality reboot alternative" nonsense that lets them pretty much do anything they want at any time
next thing you know it , will find out the character image songs are cannon.

Just a couple pictures I would like to share, that I took awhile back
--------------------------

--------------------------
Future HTT.
Notice how Yui has no hair pin

----------------
Comparison Archive
HTT and The Beatles (I)
HTT and The Who
HTT and The Beatles (II)
HTT and The Beatles (II) part 2
HTT and The Beatles (III)
HTT and Jimi Hendrix
HTT and The Beatles (IV)

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2011-07-24 at 01:40.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 00:30   Link #1917
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
obviously amateur OPs.
By that I meant the OPs were "filmed" when the girls were in high school by the girls themselves (or Sawako, etc). They would be "present" rather than "future" videos.

sorry if that was unclear.
Old 2011-07-24, 01:49   Link #1918
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
By that I meant the OPs were "filmed" when the girls were in high school by the girls themselves (or Sawako, etc). They would be "present" rather than "future" videos.

sorry if that was unclear.
ahh I see, but really the one thing that is unclear to me is; IF those OPs are filmed by themselves at the 'present' time. Wouldn't we at least hear a mention of those songs, maybe a hint?
Spoiler for Episode 23 :
Old 2011-07-24, 03:17   Link #1919
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
ahh I see, but really the one thing that is unclear to me is; IF those OPs are filmed by themselves at the 'present' time. Wouldn't we at least hear a mention of those songs, maybe a hint?
Spoiler for Episode 23 :
Don't go thinking too hard about this, now. The OPs and EDs are not canon, that is; they don't "exist" within the story proper. Think of them more as "what if" type scenarios, not meant to be taken literally. FWIW, I believe what the director said about the EDs was that they are "wild ideas" of what HTT's professional debut might be like.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:54   Link #1920
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Don't go thinking too hard about this, now. The OPs and EDs are not canon, that is; they don't "exist" within the story proper. Think of them more as "what if" type scenarios, not meant to be taken literally. FWIW, I believe what the director said about the EDs was that they are "wild ideas" of what HTT's professional debut might be like.
I am over thinking it

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen