AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-25, 14:24   Link #1181
Iron Maw
Banned

This is anime, nobody dies unless you see the body.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 20:35   Link #1182
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
What they truly fear and were trying to avoid previously is a conflagration - i.e. causing every pirate to mark the fleet as a prime target to be taken down ASAP so that it may serve as an example to the rest of the world.
I think this is the true missteps of anime writers. It's really a BS theory. It really only works in a very small microcosm scenery and definitely doesn't work in the macro-verse.

It makes for some nice cliche drama (which this anime does), but it also makes for bad critical thinking (which this shows also tries to do), and eventually gets written into a corner ( Seed destiny anyone?)

The simple fact is because while it does sound logical, it very commonly does not happen. And anyone over the age of 8 has this gut feeling it won't turn out that way. Or we wouldn't of had all these world wars ya see...

It basically boils down to, even if you have an overwhelming threat(?) in this case, and all the pirates/foreign power tries to make an alliance...well...it almost always end up the case, not everyone will actually hates the fact there is an overwhelming threat.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, but a friendship doesn't have to be equal.

What should have ended up happening, if Ledo did use overwhelming force to destroy the pirate fleet would cause a chain reaction.

Everyone settles their bill, and splinters, some joining the winning side, some joining the opposing sides, some carving out a place for themselves in the power vacuum, some going "neutral"..and of course Gargantia enjoys a temporary reprieve of peace.

Of course writers like tight cliche plots and lots of dramatic tension, so they of course need the "new enemy for this arc" model, which doesn't work with the above scenario.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 21:35   Link #1183
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Again:

They have no guarantee that Ledo will stay with them forever. They might have a reprieve while he remains with them only to face war as soon as he leaves.

Things will go as you say as long as they remain the dominant power, but then... the allies will lose interest in maintaining the alliance and the enemies will become bolder.

And the worse they do to keep their enemies from attacking them, the worse they can expect to be treated when they will no longer be a superpower.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 23:25   Link #1184
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Some people have noted the similarities between the Alliance and future America in Heinlein's Starship Troopers. If that's not a coincidence, then things will probably pretty ugly when they eventually show up. If you haven't read this book, here's a brief overview of the plot and its worldview (scroll down). Think about that worldview vis a vis the Gargantians'...

(And damn, I didn't know Heinlein was such a piece of work. Can you say "proto-neocon"? Hope Gen doesn't share his political views...)
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 04:06   Link #1185
Cloudenvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Yeah...I'm having a hard time believing Rackage and her sexy lieutenants survived that throw. If they did they'd probably be in critical condition.
This was kind of what I was wondering. No casualties you say? After that throw I wouldn't be so sure.
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 09:28   Link #1186
zztop

Wikipedia says there are a bunch of short stories on the official Gargantia website that 'further expand on the Gargantia universe', as below,

http://gargantia.jp/#novel

I have seen the story on the above link, but unfortunately have little to no knowledge of written Japanese to know what the story is about.

I would like to ask if anyone on this forum can fluently read Japanese, and if so, what does it translate to?

Thank you.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 20:19   Link #1187
mikeomni

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Wikipedia says there are a bunch of short stories on the official Gargantia website that 'further expand on the Gargantia universe', as below,

http://gargantia.jp/#novel

I have seen the story on the above link, but unfortunately have little to no knowledge of written Japanese to know what the story is about.

I would like to ask if anyone on this forum can fluently read Japanese, and if so, what does it translate to?

Thank you.
Tried reading it with Chrome's automatic translation. The first link is about Ledo working up a sweat and stinking from it ... the only well translated part is a quip from Chamber. Figures machine translation works best with phrases that are supposed to come from another machine.

"Detection of volatile aroma compounds in excess of alliance standard value from the body of Takashi can"
"...... I, whether smelly"
 unintentionally, I smell the upper arm and Sunsun.
"Guess because you are away for long periods of time homeostatic system of our plane,"
"no ......"

I didn't get it at first but Ledo was being translated as Toledo!? Ridget is "Rigid" ...
mikeomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 22:31   Link #1188
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
Using my not-so-fluent knowledge of Japanese...

Quote:
The freshly harvested grass and the human-sized fork was thrown into the bag the size of a Yunboro.
Ledo uses Chamber to carry away these bags.
When that's done, they move on to packing at the marine farm.
"How're you feelin'?"
"I guess good-looking guys look good no matter what they do~"
The voices came from Saaya and Melty whom came to watch.
"No problem, work is going well."
"Is that so~ ...Ugh"
A laughing Melty has a look of disgust.
"Ledo, doesn't sweat stink?"
"Yeah, it does smell... a little"
"What is 'smell'?"
A communications unit blinks above Ledo's chest, whom has his pilot suit exposed at the top.
"The scent particles emitted by your body exceeds standard levels."
"You mean I stink...?"
He sniffs his chest.
"The result is consistent with your prolonged use of this vessel's life support system."
"I see..."
"Well... think if it as a the mark of a working man."
Said Saaya in an attempt to calm things down, Melty smiles.
"Well then! Let's all take a bath together!"
"But, what about work?"
"There's a good bath house nearby~"
Ignorning the confused-looking Ledo, the supervisor tell them that they can borrow Ledo for a while.
"W-wait!"
"Return to standard levels recommended."
"Chamber! No you too!"
With hands pushing on his back and beckoning him along, this is how Ledo came to experience the "relaxation of the working man".
And yes, Google Translate is weird. I went to translate the forums for a MMO company called "gamigo" from German to English. They kept translating "gamigo" as "AsiaSoft"
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 23:11   Link #1189
Raviel

^Did Ledo just get hauled off to a bath house by 2 hot girls? More importantly, is Chamber actually supporting it?
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 04:24   Link #1190
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
^Did Ledo just get hauled off to a bath house by 2 hot girls? More importantly, is Chamber actually supporting it?
Hey it's only logical...Cleanliness is next to Godliness as they say.
Old 2013-04-27, 04:50   Link #1191
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybudgy View Post
Using my not-so-fluent knowledge of Japanese...

And yes, Google Translate is weird. I went to translate the forums for a MMO company called "gamigo" from German to English. They kept translating "gamigo" as "AsiaSoft"
Thank you so much for the translation!

If I may ask, am I allowed to share this translation with other sites like randomc? Does the forum have any rules regarding sharing?

PS. Ledo, you lucky son of a beech. -- ' 3 ' --
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 07:06   Link #1192
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
If I may ask, am I allowed to share this translation with other sites like randomc?
I'm a scanlator because I wanted to share the things I love with those who can't understand Japanese, so feel free to share :3

Although I've been out of practice for quite a while now, been over 5 years since I translated anything, real life keeps me too busy >.<
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 07:07   Link #1193
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Sometimes it's hard to refrain from thinking that Chamber is secretly having fun while witnessing Ledo's predicaments.

"It appears that she wants you to consume the bird's carcass" almost seemed sarcastic.

Old 2013-04-27, 08:50   Link #1194
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Chamber has sufficiently advanced sensory capabilities that he was able to identify individual pirates through solid walls from at least a kilometer away. You don't think that once or twice during the past several years that the thought "God, I wish he'd take a shower" never crossed his mind?
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 11:00   Link #1195
Raviel

The previous comments have got me thinking.

I can see it now.......Chamber and his fellow AI are only acting logical to appease the Alliance, they're just patiently waiting for the Humans and the Hideauze to exhaust each other then they go rogue on everyone and purge the known universe of organic life.

PLOT TWIST

Urobuchi strikes again

Last edited by Raviel; 2013-04-27 at 12:25.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 11:30   Link #1196
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Now that would be a plot twist! The non-human character who supports the hero in his battles turns out to be the real ev... wait...

Old 2013-04-27, 12:01   Link #1197
Ghanw
(-_-)

Yay, go super plot twist AI rule over humans and Hideauze.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 06:51   Link #1198
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Chamber is a true bro!
Come on girls! Clean that boy really well!
Old 2013-04-28, 07:47   Link #1199
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
I think the Alliance has regs that officers should not stink. Logical if you are living in an enclosed environment.

Chamber doesn't have the same level of snark as Jarvis.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 14:53   Link #1200
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I think the Alliance has regs that officers should not stink. Logical if you are living in an enclosed environment.

Chamber doesn't have the same level of snark as Jarvis.
I'm sensing more snarkiness coming from him indirectly.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi