AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-28, 23:25   Link #101
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Followup: I suppose Ana is supposed to have been raised in the local dialect so in the english dub one might not hear much of an accent --- but I'd kind of expect her to at least 'fake' a british accent. imo, the dub team just flubbed it.

In more important news, I just got word the third and final volume of Ichigo Masimaru with the set box just shipped today from DVD Pacific. .... woot, I say ....
Technically Ana shouldn't have an accent at all. She can't even speak English.
Old 2006-09-29, 00:00   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah... then my first impulse to ignore the english dub completely was "spot on" (yes, I know what you mean... but since her relatives are british and she likes to pretend she has a british clue (like in that diary video she made) I would kind of expect an American dub to have her affect a "really bad" british accent.)
Old 2006-09-29, 03:33   Link #103
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Ah... then my first impulse to ignore the english dub completely was "spot on" (yes, I know what you mean... but since her relatives are british and she likes to pretend she has a british clue (like in that diary video she made) I would kind of expect an American dub to have her affect a "really bad" british accent.)
Lol, I think you ask too much of dubs.

Unlike the original material, where they screen through tens or hundreds of voice actors to find ones that are both skilled and perfect for a role, in dubs they'll let just about anyone do a part it seems.

*plus,
I can't really imagine how you could translate this show. Waaay to many cultural in-jokes, imo.
Old 2006-09-29, 10:40   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh... there are a lot of excellent voice actors out there .... the distributors are just comfortable with the ones they have because the customers don't skewer them about it.

If you think *this* show is hard to translate because of "cultural differences" .. then fear with Great Fear for Pani Poni Dash

Seriously, I think the "impenetrable cultural differences" defense is overstated. People understand that different countries have different holidays, wear school uniforms, eat different food and such. The problems the girls have are pretty universal: fitting in, ADD/hyperactivity, timidity, sibling relationships, etc.
Yeah, some of the subtleties are missed (like the cultural subtext of the thunk sound we hear when big-sis is out of cigarettes) but anyone who has watched Das Boot or Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon is going to get along somehow.
Old 2006-09-29, 11:51   Link #105
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:

Seriously, I think the "impenetrable cultural differences" defense is overstated.
I think Ana's peculiar situation and motivations probably wont make sense to most native english speakers. Its a cultural issue that doesnt exist over here.

The scene where Miu is demonstrating that a Baito passing out tissues is not as easy as it sounds-- will that situation make any sense without the cultural context?

Even simple things like Ana's misreading of "ginger ale" probably arent funny in English. (how will she get "frog" out of that in a dub, I dont know) Her saying "two sen" for "two thousand" works in the original because japanese people know enough english to know what "thousand" means, but how many english speakers know what "sen" means?
Old 2006-09-29, 13:22   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not saying everything works... but any Brit or Aussie who lives in the US has run into the "plasters", "petrol", "bonnet", or even "VIT amins" confusions.

The ginger ale gag really needed a footnote (dubs should have more footnotes when encountering this sort of thing).

The worst thing dubs do is to over-americanize what are quintessentially local culture things, I don't care what country a film is from (live-action or animation).

We're kind of on the same pew though... dubs really don't get much funding put into them either in talent or in translation, so the results are the kinds of odd things we see. I just tend to avoid dubs (though I also recognize the subtitles have their own pieces of lameness).
Old 2006-10-04, 11:51   Link #107
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Update bumpage: My 3rd and final volume of Ichigo Marimasu with set box arrived today. It has a 2007 bonus calendar that has some nice sketch work in it.

Now comes the dreaded "actually sit down and finish the series" horror.
Old 2006-10-04, 15:43   Link #108
Kensuke

Quote:
Update bumpage: My 3rd and final volume of Ichigo Marimasu with set box arrived today. It has a 2007 bonus calendar that has some nice sketch work in it.
Damn, and I bought the standard release, without box, it hasn't arrived yet thought. I like this series, cute and funny, I can't wait to finish it.
Old 2006-10-12, 16:40   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll scan a few samples if I get a chance. Now I'm depressed.... series over but it had a lovely slow build and finish.

Funniest thing... in the extras, there are music videos with vocals for each girl.
Miu's VA strikes a hyperkinetic home run with the funniest song I've heard in a while ... and I recently figured out she's also the VA for Himeko in PPD so it all makes sense now. I bet she's a freaking riot in the recording studio and I dearly wish they'd include video clips of them reading their lines.

@edit: here's a sample of the artwork in the calendar (which consists of separate postcards for each month and a few extras in a display box that can be nailed to your cubical wall or whatever).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-12 at 17:09.
Old 2006-10-13, 11:38   Link #110
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
@edit: here's a sample of the artwork in the calendar (which consists of separate postcards for each month and a few extras in a display box that can be nailed to your cubical wall or whatever).

Thanks for the scans, my vol. 3 should arrive next week. And of course there is that OVA coming, so it is not yet over.
Old 2006-10-15, 01:40   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Out of the lot of them... I suppose my favorite episode is "Sleepover" when Miu's carefully constructed facade breaks for just an instant and big sis gets a little reality check.

Watching the series with my son and his girlfriend this weekend... they're both hooked. His girlfriend is catching most of it (had to explain the cultural significance of "cow milk" vs all the flat-chested remarks and the bit about japanese being unabashedly curious about foreigners in bath settings) - she's taking Japanese for the first time so she loves it when she understands a sentence without having to rely on the subtitle.
Old 2006-10-15, 16:41   Link #112
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'll scan a few samples if I get a chance. Now I'm depressed.... series over but it had a lovely slow build and finish.
No need to worry, we have the OVA coming up pretty soon - that should be enough for all our Ichigo Mashimaro and my Nobue needs. :3
Old 2006-11-14, 19:27   Link #113
Ziv

Just wondering, how censored is the anime compared to the manga? Did they have to cut out panty shots or was it just minor stuff like nobue smoking even though she's 16? Also, were there any significant character or plot changes?
Old 2006-11-14, 19:31   Link #114
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
Did they have to cut out panty shots or was it just minor stuff like nobue smoking even though she's 16?
Hmm, you don't really get that many major panty shots - you should just watch to find out. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
Also, were there any significant character or plot changes?
You do get a few.. though they just happen in a different order compared to the manga.. yet again something you'll have to see for yourself.
Old 2006-11-15, 23:04   Link #115
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Hmm, you don't really get that many major panty shots - you should just watch to find out. :3

You do get a few.. though they just happen in a different order compared to the manga.. yet again something you'll have to see for yourself.
maybe I said that confusingly. I meant to say that I've seen the anime, and want to know what the manga is like. i.e. is noboue really perverted or does she just cute things?

oh ya, and what's with miu's fascination with flipping people's skirts?

and another thing, I think the voice on that foreigner in the park was the most hillarious part of the whole show. XD

Last edited by Ziv; 2006-11-16 at 01:33.
Old 2006-11-16, 02:06   Link #116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... they're releasing an english version of the manga ... I guess we should all go and see

I think Nobue just has a moe fetish (and likes to cosplay). Miu just seems to act on whatever impulse fires in her brain (ADD child with extra poor impulse control).
Old 2006-11-16, 02:18   Link #117
Ziv

Quote:
think Nobue just has a moe fetish (and likes to cosplay).
the main thing I noticed was when the girls ask nobue which one of them she thinks is the cutest, she says "who would I want to go on a date with the most?"
Old 2006-11-16, 04:10   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a few comments about Nobue trying to get boyfriends .... I really think she was just putting herself in the mindset of someone who might want to date the girls. I never got the impression she had any depraved thoughts about the girls (except for wanting to kill Miu periodically).
Old 2006-11-16, 10:12   Link #119
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

You could have easily said that its the manga you want to look into.

And about Nobue, its just a cute/moe fetish she has. She doesn't have any interest in lil' girls - as we all know her love belongs to smoking. Ah.. my Nobue~~~~
Old 2006-11-16, 12:22   Link #120
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Hehe Nobue......

That's a shotacon in the making.

You know that if Miu wasn't there Nobue would already have done something :O
Miu's purpose is to keep all the girls off balance.

I wonder why in the Manga Nobue is a Blond but after chapter one she becomes a brunette?

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, loli, seinen, slice of life