AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-01-04, 06:08   Link #241
MinuSeveN
Lurker with free time

That depends on the Subs. The wikia said Wheels, so I used that one just to be sure.
Old 2012-01-04, 10:48   Link #242
Akashin

True, but Law of Wheels doesn't make much sense. Law of Cycles is far more fitting given what it's describing.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 11:25   Link #243
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
^ laws of wheels sounds like a physics law about.... Wheels xD. And there's one meaning for a wheel.

And it sounds veryyyyyyy weird.
Old 2012-01-04, 11:35   Link #244
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuSeveN View Post
That depends on the Subs. The wikia said Wheels, so I used that one just to be sure.
I rely more on wiki.puella-magi.net for more recent and well-done research work.
Old 2012-01-04, 16:01   Link #245
MinuSeveN
Lurker with free time

Wheels turn. Thus, wheels give us the concept of movement, of cycles. And I actually like wheels more in the context. And frankly? Why is everybody foccusing on a minor semantic detail and no one actually says anything about the entire text!?

^There's another wiki? I use the one you gave. In the page about Episode 12:
Quote:
According with Mami and her understanding of "The Law of Wheels", as a result of a Puella Magi having sought a wish brings despair into the world, her spirit disappears before that happens.
So there. I did my research.

EDIT: There's another meaning for a wheel? I'm not a native english-speaker, how am I supposed to know of it's not in the dictionary?
Old 2012-01-04, 16:46   Link #246
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuSeveN View Post
Wheels turn. Thus, wheels give us the concept of movement, of cycles. And I actually like wheels more in the context. And frankly? Why is everybody foccusing on a minor semantic detail and no one actually says anything about the entire text!?
Probably because Law of Wheels sounds somewhat silly (and it does, though it is a very minor semantic as you said). Which isn't really fair, because it was a really good piece that left me really wanting for a longer post-series story. The writing was nice without being too descriptive, and my only real gripe was how brief it was (which isn't a problem so much as it is me just not really being satisfied with really short pieces).

So, yeah. Sorry to prod so much at the Law of Wheels thing, since the story is good and I didn't really take the time to comment on that before. Law of Wheels still sounds somewhat silly though, whether it's the correct translation or not.
Old 2012-01-05, 09:48   Link #247
MinuSeveN
Lurker with free time

@Akashin: Thanks! I was needing that!

Now. As a result of... well, everything, but mostly th bickering about semantics being inspiring (i dunno how) and Akashin being nice to me and encouraging me to write, a wild FANFICTION has appeared! (a shame it's rather small too...)

Afterlife - Naming Issues

Spoiler for Afterlife - Naming Issues:

Spoiler for Author's Note:
Old 2012-01-12, 15:29   Link #248
The One Moiderah
Nothing Worth Anything

Well, it doesn't really matter what it's called. What matters is what it represents.

A constant cycle of despair and wishes? Fucking awesome.

Law of Wheels? Cycle of Despair? CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIFE?

Then crush them. LIKE BUGS.
The One Moiderah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 21:59   Link #249
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol Madoka's law XD

And Kyoko agrees with me!
Old 2012-01-12, 22:02   Link #250
Witched

Yay for Veneficus Magi (Double Chappies!) for coming out.
On the process of readin' 'em when I hit the hay. xD

I'm still trying to think of a Fanfiction for Madoka Magica... Either a crossover or itself.
Witched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 22:41   Link #251
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witched View Post
Yay for Veneficus Magi (Double Chappies!) for coming out.
On the process of readin' 'em when I hit the hay. xD

I'm still trying to think of a Fanfiction for Madoka Magica... Either a crossover or itself.
I tried that too for a while, but I couldn't reconcile with my refusal to write any character but Madoka as the main character. And as much as I like Madoka, there's only so much you can do with her without a lot of support from the other characters, and that's not really what I wanted to do.

Ehh, may try again sometime, but probably not.
Old 2012-01-14, 01:01   Link #252
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There's a fanfic idea that I've been bouncing around in my head for awhile, but it's only now that I've felt up to actually attempting it.

The basic idea behind it is this - I would take the VN/Galge-style narrative, with its diverging romantic routes and numerous alternated endings, and apply it to Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

It would be wrote from the perspective of Madoka (1st Person narration), and would follow the anime narrative closely, except the reader could make choices (mostly verbal) at key moments to shift the story in different directions, and potentially move Madoka into romances with other major characters. Different choices can "raise" or "lower" Madoka's level of affection with different characters, and that can open up (or close off) potential yuri romantic routes. So it's important for readers to keep track of the choices that they make as that will make a big difference later on in the fanfic. You can, of course, read what the results of each choice is, but pay special attention to the results of the choice that you make, as those are the results that will stick with your initial read-through of the fanfic.

Anyway, I hope that this is a fanfic that Madoka Magica, yuri, and VN fans will all enjoy!

You can read it here.
Old 2012-01-18, 10:36   Link #253
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Another silly fanfic idea, with excerpt

Homu Front (Madoka-Homefront crossover):

Loosely (very loosely) based off a parody game cover of the same title.

2018, or when ever the stupidly powerful North Korean-controlled Greater Korean Republic invades Japan.... To find a nasty surprise....

Excerpt:

The North Korean soldiers raised their weapons and prepared to open fire on the Desert Eagle-wielding girl. At that moment, Akemi Homura pressed her hand to the shield on the side of her arm. At once everything froze. A few of the North Koreans managed to get off shots before Homura froze time, only for their bullets to hang, suspended in midair.

Homura immediately got to work, placing an active M67 fragmentation grenade into the chest pocket of each soldier, before climbing into the Type 99 tank and placing a remote C-4 charge in the ammunition storage., before jumping out of and behind the vehicle and pressing her shield again. As time returned to normal, the soldiers looked around the area where Homura was. Homura drew the C4 detonator out of her "hammerspace" and detonated the C-4. The tank exploded in a great ball of flames as the active grenades in each soldier's pocket detonated, covering the area where the North Koreans had been in smoke and flames. Homura hid the C4 detonator in the "hammerspace" and walked away from the scene of devastation, silhouetted against the flames.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 10:27   Link #254
novalysis

Here's a crazy Fanfic Idea, that might VERY well have actually occurred in the PMMM universe.

Simply put, a politically active and conscious student is contracted by an Incubator just before she enters an Ivy League University.

And she's a Libertarian.

Has anyone realized that the PMMM setting is frighteningly similar to either an anarchy, or a Libertarian society?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 10:37   Link #255
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Here's a crazy Fanfic Idea, that might VERY well have actually occurred in the PMMM universe.

Simply put, a politically active and conscious student is contracted by an Incubator just before she enters an Ivy League University.

And she's a Libertarian.

Has anyone realized that the PMMM setting is frighteningly similar to either an anarchy, or a Libertarian society?
What?

That makes no sense according to the setting as laid out in the anime.

1: All the evidence is that Incubators target emotional girls gong through puberty. 12 to 16. Not 18 year old Ivy League freshmen.

2: The PMMM setting never makes any political arguments. Nor is there anything to suggest that the setting is an anarchy, or libertarian, or democratic, or monarchical, or anything really. PMMM is completely silent on such matters.

3: There is nothing in Libertarianism to suggest that a Libertarian Magical Girl will be different in some consistent way from any non-Libertarian Magical Girl. Other than being Libertarian of course.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 10:51   Link #256
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
What?

That makes no sense according to the setting as laid out in the anime.

1: All the evidence is that Incubators target emotional girls gong through puberty. 12 to 16. Not 18 year old Ivy League freshmen.

2: The PMMM setting never makes any political arguments. Nor is there anything to suggest that the setting is an anarchy, or libertarian, or democratic, or monarchical, or anything really. PMMM is completely silent on such matters.

3: There is nothing in Libertarianism to suggest that a Libertarian Magical Girl will be different in some consistent way from any non-Libertarian Magical Girl. Other than being Libertarian of course.
The upper boundary of contracting is not clear. But even if it was 16 years old, there are 16 years old out there with political positions. It's not out of the question there there have been anarchist and Libertarians alike that have been contracted over the years.

Secondly, I'm talking about the general features of the PMMM setting. Effectively, if you were to stop and think for a moment (or write a fic exploring the setting in detail), you'd realize that the PMMM society is very close to an anarchy in political structure.

Thirdly, I think you've misunderstood my question a little. It revolves around how a Libertarian Magical Girl would look at Puella Magi society, through Libertarian lenses.

Fourthly, it's precisely because of the vague nature of Puella Magi society that is why some fanfictions explore how the society might actually work in detail.

Fifthly, all I'm saying is that the PMMM setting has quite alot of striking similarities in some details to certain features of an anarchy at minimum.

Finally: It's rather absurd to postulate that the PMMM setting is a democracy or monarchy. Very absurd. An anarchy is a far more likely interpretation based on the (admittedly) limited view we have of the Puella Magi world.
Old 2012-01-28, 11:56   Link #257
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, Episode 11 of PMMM showed a well-organized mass evacuation. I'm not sure if such a thing is even possible in a completely anarchistic society.

However, it's true that the world of PMMM seems pretty "loose" when it comes to regulations and law enforcement.

A girl in her early-to-mid teens (Mami Tomoe) lost her parents in a car accident, has no close relatives that can take care of her, and yet there's no hint whatsoever of any sort of Social Services agency stepping in to help out the girl. Nor does it seem like Mami was even ever approached about that car accident by anybody (such as police officers arriving on the scene of it).

Sayaka essentially goes missing for days without any sort of police involvement (i.e. one would expect Madoka to have been questioned about it by police officers within 12 hours of Sayaka confirmed missing). To some extent you can chalk this up to Sayaka having really irresponsible legal guardians/parents, but even then it's a bit much.

Nothing in the world seems blocked off to the general public, or even blocked off to minors. If you look at where some of these fights took place, a lot of them seem to be pretty heavy-duty industrial areas.

Still, how much of this is due to careful intentional design, and how much of this is due to Gen just not caring about these minute details and/or Shinbo just going wild with scenery/settings (the Monogatari series is similar) is up to debate. But one thing's for sure, the world of PMMM is a fair bit looser, regulation/government oversight-wise than what many of us are accustomed to where we live.

So, yeah, I can kind of imagine an Incubator contracting with a young libertarian and she wishing for a world with fewer rules and regulations.
Old 2012-01-28, 14:52   Link #258
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
@novalysis

After a further explanation I think I understand now that you are not using society to refer to the human society in which Madoka takes place, but rather the the society of Magical Girls separate and apart from the rest of human society.

Well duh. Of course it's an anarchy. Not only is it a society with no adults, but each individual member has enormous combat power and an extreme incentive (survival) to compete for scare resources. Additionally, the members of this society have a very short life cycle. The evidence seems to be the both Kyouko and Mami were rare magical girls for surviving so long. Kyouko is estimated to have been a magical girl for a couple years. Mami perhaps a year longer. (This fits with being contracted in middle school and Mami being in high school).

It's an inherently unstable society. A libertarian Magical Girl would not be any more interesting then any other girl who thinks a lot about government or politics. I don't see how libertarian ideas would help in any way (and I say this as a libertarian myself).

More interesting might be to take a character like Mami and give her some kind of motivation to institute order in the Magical Girl society. That is in fact peripherally explored in this fan fiction: To The Stars

Mami is the natural pick because she has the following advantages:

1: Mami has a slower rate of "mana" consumption compared to other magical girls (as Kyubee revealed to Sayaka in episode... 5 or 6 I think it was). This would allow her to spend more time and energy on forming a more complex society.

2: Mami enjoys society, she is not a loner by nature.

3: Mami is a motherly mentor figure and likely to be persuasive at getting new magical girls to join.

It's actually not surprising that any Magical Girl team we see form tends to be around Mami.

However, Mami lacks the ruthlessness needed to force others to obey her. Nor does she recognize the need for "farming" familiars to produce more grief seeds, and you would need an excess supply of food before building a society.

Kyouko might have some of the needed ruthlessness, and so she might be another pick to build such a conceptual Magical Girl society around. However, Kyouko is a natural loner, and lacks the persuasive ability or vision.

So either you'd need a character who blends Mami and Kyouko's traits together, or you'd need something like a team up between Mami and Kyouko.

That might be an interesting AU. Mami and Kyouko at their first meeting. They team up and instead of breaking apart over ideals, Mami compromises her principles to "farm" familiars. Mami would be in charge of things like recruitment, training, and peacemaking. Kyouko would be in charge of enforcement, and distribution of grief seeds.

Essentially recreating a family unit with Mami as the mother and Kyouko as the father, and other girls as adopted daughters. Assuming they were able to determine the truth about Soul Gems and Grief Seeds they could then start planning a way to manage their resources.

This team would need to expand it's territory to increase the number of grief seeds being brought in. By working in a team of hunters they could expend less magic during battles. The main difficulty would be that since less Magical Girls are becoming witches they would need to lean heavily on farming familiars. That means they would probably have to determine how and when witches spawn familiars, how to encourage spawning even, and to hold off on harvesting the witches until the familiars are spawned.

This would increase the bad things happening to humans. Something that I think Mami would have a very hard time with.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 01:03   Link #259
novalysis

To the Stars is a distant future of such a scenario. Puella Magis have long been united into a single global organization with all the essential functions of a state.

I don't think Mami Tomoe has sufficient ruthlessness though to go beyond a single team or alliance of teams. Homura on the other hand probably does, but lacks the diplomatic tack.

Actually, I think I'd repost a more coherent proposal on the Libertarian is contracted idea I put up on Spacebattles.

Quote:
Ok I admit I wrote this quite late into the night, having been struck by a sudden plot bunny inspired by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDv4sYwjO0

Now, I'm not making the point that Libertarians want Somalia (that's straw-manning), but I'd seriously imagine that Incubators wouldn't have a hard time convincing a young, devoted Libertarian Activist to contract, simply by selective advertisement.

The main idea was that an Incubator will contract a Libertarian by advertising certain aspects of Puella Magi society. (No taxation, no regulations, minimum government, etc - in other words Freedom, except the need to feed yourself.)

The Libertarian will be sufficiently powerful enough not to die in months, but over the next few years, will be forced to thoroughly re-evaluate her political positions, having been thrown into a society where no government exist at all.

An Urban Fantasy where Life is Solitary, Poor, Nasty, Brutish, and Short. All adjectives that I think are all too apt for Puella Magi Society.

I am aware, that Libertarianism covers a spectrum of ideological principles. So the big question is from which part of the spectrum she comes from. Does she believe in something closer to Anarchism, or in "limited" government, whatever that might mean to her? Needless to say, being thrown into a society stripped of all accouterments of government, I'd assume she'd be force to re-evaluate her position, especially if she is sufficiently powerful enough to be able to afford to observe Puella Magi Society from a distant society.

Especially if this is the Post-Madoka system.

In the end, of course she dies in combat.

All Puella Magi do, prematurely.

But while she live, she'd be making some interesting proposals and debates on whether the Puella Magi system NEEDS more government, as oppose to less that all Libertarians normally would argue for.

Whether or not our heroine is correct, is deliberately left very ambiguous. We'll never know.

On a final note, for this story to work, it has to take place under the demon system. The Witch System amounts to cannibalism.
Old 2012-01-31, 15:47   Link #260
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Here's a fanfic I've been working on for some time, crossing over with Sailor Moon.

I've seen pictures of these two fandoms crossed together, but as far as I'm aware no stories. I was inspired to write this after watching the first three PMMM episodes, which, funny enough, for some reason I can't recall, I thought Mami had...more than questionable motives in store for Madoka and Sayaka. Adding Sailor Moon to the mix was an afterthought and expanded from there.

Now I haven't seen the last two episodes, though I know - at the very least - what occurs. Also, because of the timeline these two fandoms are set in (Sailor Moon in 1992, PMMM somewhere in 2000s-2010s) I've retconned them to fit in a modern setting.

I can't say my characterizations will be spot-on, so just to be on the safe side expect moments of potential OOC.

Hope you guys and gals enjoy it. There's still more to come for this fic (currently writing an "intermission" and Chapter 14).
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, fanfiction