AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-16, 11:45   Link #20201
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Obama hasn't exactly thrilled me with the half-assed job he's been doing, but I'd rather the worst thing I have to worry about be whether or not the internet can shout down another SOPA.

He's not good, but the other options are downright horrible. And while Ron Paul has a few good ideas, most of his ideas are batshit insane.
Hey! Nice to see you back in Chat, Syn.

If SOPA were the only thing we face with Obama I'd agree with you, but that is the least of the outright crazy things that Obama's administration has done.

I'd say arming Mexican drug gangs with military weapons is pretty batshit insane and Obama's administration did just that under Operation Fast and Furious.
And then adding insult to injury, Obama goes out in public and claims that 90% of all guns in Mexican drug lords' hands come from the US.
When his BATFE is the one arming them, it becomes obvious that the drug lords are getting US Federally supplied weapons and so becomes a self-fulfilling statistic.

His TSA expanding checkpoints from airports onto our highways, while pardoning a few drug dealers along the way, doesn't ring of sanity either.

He expanded the Patriot Act, he signed the NDAA, and his FAA is now allowing police to use drones to spy on Americans.

Considering Ron Paul stands against all of that, I'll take the old kook over Obama or Romney or Santorum or any other establishment candidate any day.
I don't know about you Syn, but I for one don't want to live in a police state and we are already there in so far as the infrastructure being in place.

All it will take now is for an event and the proper Presidential-Salesman to sell its "necessity" of use to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I don't agree with you on your view of Obama.
His aggressive, almost merciless, pursuit of gaining advantage through foreign policies is exactly what many leaders lack these days.
Take for example the FTA with South Korea that's about to be signed. My sympathies to Korea, but hell, that's one dominating clause to force another nation to sign.
I think a lot of Obama's progress and policies are blind to American eyes, yet apparent to those outside of US. Ironically.
Then you must have liked George Bush Jr. because Obama's foreign policy is just a continuation of W's.

I hated the Bush foreign policy of going into Iraq, and essentially turning the US into the world's policeman.
It's expensive, and it doesn't give back in return the amount of blood and treasure it costs.

Oh, and Jon Stewart rules.
He should run for President.
I'd rather have a comedian in the White House that's funny rather than the clown that's in there now.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:31   Link #20202
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

thoughts? i think they got it all wrong.
Wrong how? Ravi was not convicted of causing Clementi's suicide (in fact, the prosecution was forbidden from arguing such), he was convicted of violating Clementi's privacy which caused Clementi to feel intimidated, and of tampering with witnesses and evidence.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-03-16, 13:11   Link #20203
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

The expansion of Patriot Act and TSA power is disturbing indeed.

The rest I feel you are being unfair to the president.

He did not make any decision on the ATF operations. You can't hold him responsible for mistakes made by a bureau under the DOJ. What does his statement of "90% of weapons in Mexico come from US" have to do with it? Nothing.

The NDAA? It was the budget of the defence department. If he vetoed it, he was certain to be overruled by the Congress. The law would still pass anyways, and he would open himself to all sorts of attacks. So he threatened the veto to scale down the troubling parts, and signed a statement that effectively made the indefinite detention all but impossible. It is not the best outcome you'd like to see. But it was probably the best he could do given the circumstances.

FAA allowing UAV to fly in the US......how does it even affect your privacy? UAVs can't see anything you do in your home, just as a helicopter can't. If you walk outside, there are dozens of ways to observe you that are easier than flying an UAV. With UAV technology maturing and with many potential good uses of it, it's a natural step to open up the airspace to UAVs.

Obama's foreign policies are far more sensible than Bush's. His administration is much more inclined to seek cooperation with allies, a stark contrast of Bush's unilateralism. He started an operation in Libya after securing a resolution in UN, support from Arab countries, and allies to participate. The operation ended with its main goal achieved and no additional troops deployed in the region. He ended Iraq War as scheduled. He confronted Iran with the harsh sanctions and forced them back to negotiation. He didn't make progress on Israel and Palestine but that's pretty much the expected outcome - Israel's right wing government was not interested in talks. On Afghanistan, he had to make troops stay to stabilize the situation. A premature withdrawal may well see Taliban coming back in power and bring trouble in the future. I really don't see any serious mistake from Obama in foreign policies.
Old 2012-03-16, 14:33   Link #20204
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Wrong how? Ravi was not convicted of causing Clementi's suicide (in fact, the prosecution was forbidden from arguing such), he was convicted of violating Clementi's privacy which caused Clementi to feel intimidated, and of tampering with witnesses and evidence.
he wasn't convicted of intimidating him, because that would have landed him the prison sentence. Three different sources have said he was convicted of different things out of the 15 he was charged with. I'm hoping there will be an accurate one.

invasion of privacy - maybe. it was a shared dorm room, and he had legitimate concerns with Clementi inviting "sketchy" looking older men into the room. plus all the coverage leading up to the trial basically pointed to Ravi and Clementi working out their problems anyways.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2012-03-16, 14:43   Link #20205
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
he wasn't convicted of intimidating him, because that would have landed him the prison sentence. Three different sources have said he was convicted of different things out of the 15 he was charged with. I'm hoping there will be an accurate one.

invasion of privacy - maybe. it was a shared dorm room, and he had legitimate concerns with Clementi inviting "sketchy" looking older men into the room. plus all the coverage leading up to the trial basically pointed to Ravi and Clementi working out their problems anyways.
Here is the verdict sheet as reported by the NY Post. http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012...ersverdict.pdf

Ravi was found guilty of bias intimidation multiple times, just not all of the subcounts. Basically, the jury found that intimidation did occur, even though Ravi did not have such intent to do so the first time he violated Clementi's privacy, he did on the subsequent occurrences. Ravi was consistently found not to have had intention to intimidate MB (Clementi's partner), whom as you said he had legitimate concerns about.

Ravi's facing 10 years in prison and/or deportation back to India. We won't know for sure until he's sentenced.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-03-16, 16:30   Link #20206
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Facebook, Zynga and Other Social Companies Hit with Patent Suit

Great, another patent troll.
Old 2012-03-16, 16:38   Link #20207
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Quote:
An apparent shell company operating under the name GameTek LLC is suing the biggest companies in social gaming over US Patent # 7076445: “System and methods for obtaining advantages and transacting the same in a computer gaming environment.” Essentially, the patent covers the common practice of using virtual currency to buy items in a game.
you could actually get a patent for this what imbecile granted that
Old 2012-03-16, 16:51   Link #20208
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner is well on the way to setting a world record for the highest free-fall jump.

On Thursday, the adventurer leapt from a balloon-borne capsule 71,500ft (22km) above New Mexico, landing safely eight minutes later.

The dive was intended to test all his equipment before he tries to free-fall from 120,000ft later this year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17399985

Quote:
His Red Bull Stratos team estimates he reached 364mph (586km/h) during the descent, and was in free fall for three minutes and 43 seconds before opening his parachute. From capsule to ground, the entire jump lasted eight minutes and eight seconds.
71,000+ in just 8 minutes. That's nuts. And from the vantage point of an airline window, the standard flight at 30,000 feet or so seems high enough already.
Old 2012-03-16, 16:55   Link #20209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you could actually get a patent for this what imbecile granted that
Just another reason the whole "IP" system is busted. There are dozens of patents for doing "mundane thing but ON THE INTERNET", for example. Patenting is probably more broken than copyright. Most countries don't even allow the idea of patenting a business method or algorithm, but oh the US does... morons.
Old 2012-03-16, 17:16   Link #20210
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

George Clooney released after Sudan embassy arrest

What caught my interests was a video of Clooney's trip to the Nuba Mountains in Sudan. Be warn, the video contains images that are graphically disturbing.
Old 2012-03-16, 18:47   Link #20211
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whether this happens or not.... the idea of the Westboro Baptist "church" and adultery.com sponsoring the Limbaugh radio show would be amusing...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/1...imbaughs-show/
Old 2012-03-16, 19:09   Link #20212
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just another reason the whole "IP" system is busted. There are dozens of patents for doing "mundane thing but ON THE INTERNET", for example. Patenting is probably more broken than copyright. Most countries don't even allow the idea of patenting a business method or algorithm, but oh the US does... morons.
i might have a good chance of patenting feeding virtual food to virtual people on the net
Old 2012-03-16, 19:30   Link #20213
Imako
Known Cyberbully
*Fansubber

One of the people responsible for the Kony 2012 viral video just got caught releasing his Invisible Children all over San Diego.
Old 2012-03-16, 19:54   Link #20214
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

US warns North Korea satellite launch could scrap nuclear, food deals

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ear-food-deals

Quote:
The United States warned North Korea on Friday its plan to launch a satellite with a long-range rocket could violate its February agreement on a nuclear moratorium and scuttle U.S. plans to resume food aid.

The State Department swiftly condemned Pyongyang's announcement of plans for the satellite launch next month, which it said could torpedo nascent efforts to restart broader nuclear negotiations with the secretive state.

"If they were to go forward with this launch it is very hard to imagine how we would be able to move forward with a regime whose word we have no confidence in," said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.

North Korea said on Friday it will launch a long-range rocket carrying a "working" satellite to mark the centenary of founder Kim Il Sung's birth next month, sparking condemnation from the United States and others that it was in breach of a U.N. resolution.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the announcement was highly provocative and called upon Pyongyang to honor its obligations including U.N. Security Council resolutions banning ballistic missile launches.

"Such a missile launch would pose a threat to regional security and would also be inconsistent with North Korea's recent undertaking to refrain from long-range missile launches," she said in a statement.

The North, which said recently it would suspend long-range missile testing as part of talks with the United States, pledged that next month's launch would not impact neighboring countries.

KCNA said the launch would be conducted from a base near its border with China, indicating it would take place at a newly constructed missile testing site believed to be larger and more advanced than the site used to launch previous rockets.

The launch will be made southwards and debris generated from the flight will not impact neighboring countries, it said.
Old 2012-03-16, 22:02   Link #20215
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i might have a good chance of patenting feeding virtual food to virtual people on the net
A way to make money on The Sims without working on it ?
Old 2012-03-16, 23:42   Link #20216
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
US warns North Korea satellite launch could scrap nuclear, food deals

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ear-food-deals
Makes sense. If they have the extra money to launch satellites, they probably don't need the food aid.

The Chinese official stance is "worried". Interesting because it is a level higher than "concerned".
Old 2012-03-16, 23:51   Link #20217
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Makes sense. If they have the extra money to launch satellites, they probably don't need the food aid.

The Chinese official stance is "worried". Interesting because it is a level higher than "concerned".
I was thinking their so-called satellite would actually be a Sputnik reject found in the back of some warehouse which used to belong to the Soviet space programme, taped on one of the ballistic missiles we know they already have, and then shot straight upwards in order to achieve orbit... which, as we would already have guessed, would fail spectacularly.

Old 2012-03-16, 23:53   Link #20218
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't want the Chinese "worried" about anything now, would we?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-17 at 00:17.
Old 2012-03-17, 00:05   Link #20219
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I was thinking their so-called satellite would actually be a Sputnik reject found in the back of some warehouse which used to belong to the Soviet space programme, taped on one of the ballistic missiles we know they already have, and then shot straight upwards in order to achieve orbit... which, as we would already have guessed, would fail spectacularly.

My raffle ticket is on "a brick".
Old 2012-03-17, 00:32   Link #20220
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My raffle ticket is on "a brick".
Well, if we're going by a loose definition of the word 'satellite', just shooting the rocket itself up there would do, I think.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international