AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-06-12, 06:22   Link #1
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Legend could've been better?

I was just thinking... Legend Gundam could've been a bit better than it was. There's no hope for it in originality's sake, but that's beside the point now - I'm just saying, now that there are other overpowered suits in Destiny, I'd say they could've at least have THIS suit keep up with them.

I mean, the designers could've easily added more dragoons. Like where Providence had them. It had two dragoons on the side skirts EACH (so 4 in total) and two more on the rear skirt. If Legend had the same layout plus the rest it already has, it could easily total a number of 14 or so dragoons. When fans like me see Legend nowadays, I say "Yeah, it's got dragoons, so what... (Freedom and Akatsuki have them too)."

So I'm thinking what would make Legend more significant if it was totally overloaded with dragoons.

It is said that Legend was meant to be less bulky than it's predecessor, carrying only 10 dragoons this time around. But let's face it - it's still bulky either way (well, in appearance anyway - but tactically, there could or might be at least SOME difference that makes it more maneuverable than Providence?).

Yeah, I know the beam spike types can laugh at shields, but hey, take those two out and Legend would pretty much be kinda basic, IMO.
Freedom has dragoons, heck, they call em SUPER dragoons for some reason, plus it's also got five more guns - two of them which can combine into a powerful one at that. As for Legend, aside from dragoons, what else it got?

I don't understand WHY it's beam rifle has to be so large and long - it doesnt seem to be any more powerful than the other, less bulky ones that Destiny and the others carry. Although I can't really measure power ratings judging from eye, so I'll leave that part. Just someone explain to me what's the point in making the rifle that long/big when it doesn't 'appear' to give any tactical or power advantage (if it does, I'd like to know).

And the beam javelins... wtf? I'd say that's more of a nickname than what the weapon really is. It's more like still a beam saber to me - if it had the same javelins Impulse had, that'd make more sense.

And yeah it has beam shields. But hey, Destiny, Freedom and Justice have em too.

Anyone else unhappy with the Legend design? Thoughts?
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 06:28   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Legend is a weaker suit compared to Providence, output and fire power etc.

But it's more versatile, being a flyer and has a beam platform, it can operate pretty well in the atmosphere. Providence can almost only be used in space, I can imagine it's bulk making it clumsy on Earth and without the ability to use DRAGOONs.

The only way to make Legend better is to have Rau or Kira as its pilot lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 06:32   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

PROVIDENCE JR. was just that, a junior...It had some cool abilities but never lived up to it's father-suit and even the name of the suit is suspect...I mean LEGEND WTF?!?!It actually looked cooler with the Excaliber sword than the rifle (which is overkill city for a mech with that many beam blasters)...The pilot was just not that great and got excersized by Moses before the first stone was thrown...Really a dissapointing suit, it would have been nice though to see Athrun use 1 percent of his $hit-filled brain in GSD and steal it while pretending to be preparing it rather than in a room tear-jerking...I wonder how he would have handled a suit so vastly different than anything else he ever piloted?? I think Rau proved more in one half episode than Rey did the last 10 in LEGEND which still didn't show it was on par with it's daddy-o...
Old 2006-06-12, 06:34   Link #4
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

I really dont think Legend is worse off the providence, aside from the NJC issues anyways. Beam shields ftw....

...but I see OP's point. Prov/Legend seemed to be a DRAGOON-onry MS. Unlike Destiny, Strike Freedom and even Infinite Justice who have plenty of options in their armaments i feel like Legend is a one-trick pony.

I wouldve loved to see Legend with a defensive DRAGOON (a la fin FUNnel/beam turret) and of course, a better pilot.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 06:37   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

One reason Legend totally failed is because they made it a predecessor to the Last Boss. If it didn't look like Providence at all, it would still be quite a cool suit.

Rey somehow becomes crap at the end of GSD, he was pretty good at first, giving Neo some troubles. And what happened? Mwu gets Akatsuki and becomes invincible lol

Old 2006-06-12, 06:38   Link #6
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Wouldn't you think Legend Gundam kits would get more sales if it was more 'promoted'? (both armament-wise, screen time, and fanservice)
Old 2006-06-12, 06:39   Link #7
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

heh; I'm thinking Akatsuki and Mwu will be able to take on anything in CE one on one :P

1/100 is out this month; thats somewhat a good promotion
Old 2006-06-12, 06:41   Link #8
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
heh; I'm thinking Akatsuki and Mwu will be able to take on anything in CE one on one :P
Which begs the question... what will happen if Strike Freedom fires all it's weapons at Akatsuki like it did to Legend? Will the armor be able to sustain that many beams?

(BTW, this is the first time I've gone OT in my own thread >_<)
Old 2006-06-12, 06:42   Link #9
Strike Mk.II

I dont think I have any gripes with Legend. Spec wise its a very powerful mobile suits. I wasnt bothered with the drop in dragoon units from 13 to 10 considering Legend's Dragoon System has more uses than Providence. I only wished Legend kept that awesome giant Anti-Ship Beam saber that Providence use to carry around.

Legend is a lot more powerful and versatile than it looks unfortunately its was pretty much given the same treatment as did poor Saviour. It was overshadowed to make way for the Destiny, I-Justice and S-Freedom. Even when it was destroyed by S-Freedom in the last ep was plot device, it was pretty pathetic how it came about.
Strike Mk.II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 06:43   Link #10
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

its a double KO (possible), but if anything Ak will be in better shape than the SF. SF will have its beams reflected back at it; Akatsuki gets some railgun damage.
2 railguns vs 10 green beams + 1 red beam.... you be teh judge.

cant underestimate legend though...I mean the idiot just stood there and took fire; before the war of the words SF and Legend was pretty even matched (with SF having the upper hand at times)
Old 2006-06-12, 06:44   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
I'm thinking Akatsuki and Mwu will be able to take on anything in CE one on one :P
hackatsuki is the greatest Gundam of alltime for it's size, as one member said it runs on God's pi$$ XD...and it's even the same color...and the OS is so easy even cookie monster could pilot it...I still think Mwu operates it with a Superfamicon controller...

Quote:
Wouldn't you think Legend Gundam kits would get more sales if it was more 'promoted'? (both armament-wise, screen time, and fanservice)
But if you own PROVIDENCE (and you aren't a model freak) why even buy LEGEND?? Overkill city...
Old 2006-06-12, 06:45   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Plus Akatsuki doesn't have Phase Shift, meaning its more or less grunt armour, 1 railgun shot from SF would take it down.

edit: this post is supposed to follow on SNT1 lol

Old 2006-06-12, 06:47   Link #13
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness

But if you own PROVIDENCE (and you aren't a model freak) why even buy LEGEND?? Overkill city...
That's what I'm saying. I didn't pre-order a 1/100 Legend because I didn't think it was anything special.
However, if the design, armaments, and plot-fate was more overkill than Providence, then I'd consider it, hehe...
Old 2006-06-12, 06:49   Link #14
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

The 1/100 Legend kit is a much better designed kit than any other SEED 1/100 save the I-J and the astrays.
Old 2006-06-12, 06:52   Link #15
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The day we found out that Rey would pilot it I think we all knew what it's plot-fate would be....

Lmao I remember when DESTROY's specs were first leaked and everybody and their mama thought it would be the ultimate ENDGAME Gundam and low behold it was PROVIDENCE jr....Oh those days of blissful ignorance and unbridled optimism...
Old 2006-06-12, 07:36   Link #16
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Destroy ended up being a giant Windam. Well every Destroy after Stella's.
Old 2006-06-12, 10:59   Link #17
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

For some reason, when I first read Legend's specs and saw that the DRAGOONs had beam machineguns, I thought it was capable of spamming insane amounts of small beam shots like the Gouf. Boy was I wrong. -_-

And for the 1/100 Legend, who's designing it? I hope BEE-Craft is.. their 1/100 I-Justice kicks ass. So much better than a normal GSD 1/100 kit.

Last edited by DarkWarrior; 2006-06-12 at 17:22.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 15:44   Link #18
Nameless

Akatsuki was badass.

Mwu was also a great pilot as we learned from GS1. I still don't know how the hell they managed to pull off him surviving.

Anyway, Legend was just a Providence #2 and Rey wasn't as developed as a pilot as Rau was. Not to mention Kira/Athrun developing as pilots after the initial contact with Rau in the first series.

Akatsuki with Mwu as a pilot is one of my favorite suit/pilot combinations of all of Gundam series!

And no it's not like a Grunt suit lol.

Quote:
Plus Akatsuki doesn't have Phase Shift, meaning its more or less grunt armour, 1 railgun shot from SF would take it down.
If I recall correctly, Akatsuki had some sort of reflective armor, not to mention the funnel shield on it. If anything, it'd take a rail gun shot better than a lesser suit with phase shift like Strike or Duel.
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 16:10   Link #19
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
Akatsuki was badass.

Mwu was also a great pilot as we learned from GS1. I still don't know how the hell they managed to pull off him surviving.
Because, like Batman, he can breathe in space. And, uh, survive being hit by a big quantity of positrons.

Quote:
Akatsuki with Mwu as a pilot is one of my favorite suit/pilot combinations of all of Gundam series!

And no it's not like a Grunt suit lol.

If I recall correctly, Akatsuki had some sort of reflective armor, not to mention the funnel shield on it. If anything, it'd take a rail gun shot better than a lesser suit with phase shift like Strike or Duel.
It's got Mirror coating, which reflects beams. I haven't heard anything about it being any good against kinetic weapons like railguns.

Phase Shift, on the other hand, is supposedy useless against beams, but impervious to kinetic weapons... until the battery runs out.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 16:48   Link #20
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
It's got Mirror coating, which reflects beams. I haven't heard anything about it being any good against kinetic weapons like railguns.
Do Positrons even fall under "beam" weaponry?

And this topic should be renamed, DESTROY could've been better? Because seriously....
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote