AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2006-05-01, 06:39   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Higurashi Q & A

This thread is for those with questions about the Higurashi no Naku Koroni anime, game and manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime, game or manga.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the game or manga (or any non-anime source). Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read this FAQ.

Spoiler tag example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler] becomes

Spoiler for title:
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 07:52   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Please read the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni wikipedia article that has been made before you ask questions. I made the the wikipedia article as detailed as I can which may answer your questions beforehand.

Brief rundown of the arcs and chapters in sequential order for quick reference in the future:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ("Question" arc)
  • Onikakushi-hen
  • Watanagashi-hen
  • Tatarigoroshi-hen
  • Himatsubushi-hen

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai ("Answer" arc)
  • Meakashi-hen
  • Tsumihoroboshi-hen (the TV anime will go up to here)
  • Minagoroshi-hen
  • Matsuribayashi-hen

EDIT: Also, I'm going to try to keep this FAQ section as clean as possible, so I will be moving some irrelevant posts to the correct thread and what not from time to time.

EDIT2:
Please do not ask incessant questions regarding the availability of an English patch of the original doujin game version of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Questions like these pop up everytime an anime based on a game comes along, and the answer is the same all over: little to no one in the English speaking world had an interest in this game before it aired, so there exists no such thing.

By the time it does get translated several months from now, there will be another game-based anime that will come along and people ask the same question again for that title. By that time, people would've already finished watching the other show and they'll lose interest. I can already forsee people saying the exact same question when Tsuyokiss or Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na starts airing. It's the same cycle over and over.

If you want to play the game, BUY it and play through it with a Japanese dictionary on hand. Besides, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni isn't that expensive like an ero-game or consumer game anyway. If you can spare 1500 yen (plus shipping) you can get the whole question arc (Onikakushi-hen~Himatsubushi-hen) in one disc. And if you can spare another 1000 yen (plus shipping), you can get the answer arc that is out right now (Meakashi-hen~Minagoroshi-hen) in one disc as well.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-29 at 20:00.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 13:55   Link #3
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Question!

Is it possible that the show could "squish" all the answers into two answer arcs? The show will be ending after the 8th chapter of the game is released, after all, right? Has anything been said to this effect?
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 14:02   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Question!

Is it possible that the show could "squish" all the answers into two answer arcs? The show will be ending after the 8th chapter of the game is released, after all, right? Has anything been said to this effect?
No one knows, and anime production is usually several weeks ahead of airing. So the anime could actually be 80% finished in production phase even before the 8th and final chapter goes on sale at this summer's Comike. Obviously, that wouldn't be possible unless Ryukishi07 spilled the beans to the anime staff - which is highly unlikely as the anime production process is tight on schedule to begin with.
Old 2006-05-01, 14:08   Link #5
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Question number two, yarr.

Are there any known English translations of the Higurashi game floating around out there? Fan translations, official ones, etc?
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 14:17   Link #6
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Given the tremendous and uproar success Higurashi no Naku Koroni, the game, among the fan players in Japan has amassed, do the game's creator, Ryukishi07, would encourage themselves to come up with a sequel to the game in an unknown future?

I'm neither implying nor assuming that scenario could bound to happen.

I already read thoroughly the Wikipedia article.

Also, I know that there's still one more game scenario to be released in Japan by August, and that the game will be ported to the PS2 consumer port.

My aforementioned question was just a hypothetically one.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 14:20   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Question number two, yarr.

Are there any known English translations of the Higurashi game floating around out there? Fan translations, official ones, etc?
I wouldn't know, and most likely not. Hey, there was practically no interest in this game in the English speaking world. Perhaps Chinese ones exist. I wouldn't know. My best bet is to buy the game at cdjapan or what not, and do your best with a Japanese dictionary at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Given the tremendous and uproar success Higurashi no Naku Koroni, the game, among the fan players in Japan has amassed, do the game's creator, Ryukishi07, would encourage themselves to come up with a sequel to the game in an unknown future?

I'm neither implying nor assuming that scenario could bound to happen.

I already read thoroughly the Wikipedia article.

Also, I know that there's still one more game scenario to be released in Japan by August, and that the game will be ported to the PS2 consumer port.

My aforementioned question was just a hypothetically one.
Nothing has been mentioned.
Old 2006-05-03, 17:40   Link #8
Fighter747
*Fansubber

I remember from several posts that all these arcs are somewhat independent of each other, yet at the same time exists on at the same time. Is this game's storyline simulating the Butterfly Effect?
Fighter747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 18:35   Link #9
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

A question and an observation-cum-question:

1) If the show is "only" going to go to Tsumihoroboshi-hen, then we're not going to get the full answer, are we?

2) If we were to get the answer, wouldn't this be counterproductive, since it would spoil the game and conceivably affect sales? So, honestly speaking, can't we expect that the anime will peter out into uncertainty?
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 18:52   Link #10
justsomeguy

I know the last chapter has not been released yet, but is it conceivable for Minagoroshi-hen and Matsuribayashi-hen to contain enough material for a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai show, even if that would only be ~13 eps? Does Minagoroshi-hen contain enough for, say 6 episodes?
I would hate for the show to just end at an unfulfilling ending instead of a "best" ending.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 18:54   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter747
I remember from several posts that all these arcs are somewhat independent of each other, yet at the same time exists on at the same time. Is this game's storyline simulating the Butterfly Effect?
uh...no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak Of Nature
A question and an observation-cum-question:

1) If the show is "only" going to go to Tsumihoroboshi-hen, then we're not going to get the full answer, are we?
No you won't, but you will come as close as you get to getting the answer. By that time, you'll have everything you need to know about what was going on behind Onikakushi and Watanagashi.

Quote:
2) If we were to get the answer, wouldn't this be counterproductive, since it would spoil the game and conceivably affect sales? So, honestly speaking, can't we expect that the anime will peter out into uncertainty?
Not really. The majority of people who are watching this over here are otakus who have played the game already. And people who haven't played the game, well, they are otakus too so it's pretty easy for them to go to the nearest Toranoana or doujin shops and grab a copy if it seems interesting. What about the rest? Well, normal people don't watch anime shows airing on an obscure UHF channel past midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
I know the last chapter has not been released yet, but is it conceivable for Minagoroshi-hen and Matsuribayashi-hen to contain enough material for a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai show, even if that would only be ~13 eps? Does Minagoroshi-hen contain enough for, say 6 episodes?
I would hate for the show to just end at an unfulfilling ending instead of a "best" ending.
Perhaps. I can't give you info on something that it not official. But I can say this: you'll definitely love the ending for Tsumihoroboshi-hen. I'm not saying any more than that - doing so will ruin the shock value.
Old 2006-05-03, 21:45   Link #12
FubaredByAnime

Out of curiosity, is Frederica Bernkastel a real person? I googled for the name and all I came upon were Japanese websites, which I assume are talking about Higurashi.
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 23:16   Link #13
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
The way I see it, Minagoroshi-hen is either a hit or miss: It does reveal the "full answer" of the entire story (as opposed to the "partial truths" in Meakashi and Tsumihoroboshi), but while some people would be left pleasently surprised by the plot twists and the ultimate truth, for others, Minagoroshi-hen could mean a proverbial kick in the nuts (and no, I'm not going elaborate on what that means, read the spoilers in the game thread if you really want to know).

In comparison, the story and ending of Tsumihorobosh-hen is a relatively safe one. In fact, as long as the anime leave out Tsumihoroboshi-hen's final TIP "悪魔の脚本" (The Demon's Script), which isn't obtainable until after Tsumihoroboshi-hen is over, then Tsumihoroboshi-hen's ending would actually make a very good series finale. (Of course, if they really end the anime with Tsumihoroboshi's ending as-is, then that's a problem too, since without Minagoroshi-hen's "full answers", there will be more holes left in the mystery than a sponge).

(To explain a little bit more, the final TIP (Demon's Script) of Tsumihoroboshi provided a way for the story to continue on. Without that TIP, the story of Higurashi no Naku Koroni probably would've ended with Tsumihoroboshi)

In the end, I don't think they'll try to change the story to make up an original ending or anything. Most likely, they'll just show the anime as it is, and if you want to find out the real truth (fill up the sponge holes), you'll just going to have to buy the game.

Quote:
Like I mentioned above, I don't think the "real truth" will be revealed in the anime at all. By the end of Tsumihoroboshi, a lot of things will be cleared up, but it's still one step short of the "real truth".

Honestly, I don't know what they're going to do with the ending (so don't take what I said above too seriously). The only suggestion I can give is to just enjoy the story for what it is without thinking too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
Out of curiosity, is Frederica Bernkastel a real person? I googled for the name and all I came upon were Japanese websites, which I assume are talking about Higurashi.
No, she's not. Frederica Bernkastel is kind of a mysterious existence within the story of Higurashi. The only time her name appears is at the beginning of every new chapter (in the game), when one of her poems is displayed. The poem themselves all elude to the truth natures behind each chapter. Quite an artistic touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
Matsuribayashi isn't out yet, so I can't say anything about that.
Minagoroshi, on the other hand, probably does have enough contents to fill 6 episodes (then again, at 4 episodes, Onikakushi-hen was already pretty rushed, and it's one of the shortest chapters).

I'm not holding my breath for a second season based on only these last two chapters, but hey, you never know.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-03 at 23:47.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 23:39   Link #14
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
No, she's not. Frederica Bernkastel is kind of a mysterious existence within the story of Higurashi. The only time her name appears is at the beginning of every new chapter (in the game), when one of her poems is displayed. The poem themselves all elude to the truth natures behind each chapter. Quite an artistic touch.
I'll assume the poems and her name are displayed in English in the game as KJ posted them. Thanks for the info.
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 23:50   Link #15
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
I'll assume the poems and her name are displayed in English in the game as KJ posted them. Thanks for the info.
Her name is written in English(?) as "Frederica Bernkastel", but the poem themselves are in Japanese.

Here's a page that has all her(?) poems organized:
http://lab.vis.ne.jp/higurashi/poem.html

Then again, kj must be doing a good job if his translations fooled you into thinking that the poems were in English to begin with.
Old 2006-05-08, 02:04   Link #16
Lemonhead
Artificial Flavors

Is there anyway to label what tips come from what ep. or at least what chapter?
Lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 13:04   Link #17
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead
Is there anyway to label what tips come from what ep. or at least what chapter?
Added relevant anime episode number in parenthesis for the TIPS.
Old 2006-05-08, 14:13   Link #18
Sindas
Rinshan Kaiho

Hi, I was surfing the net and came up with a small preview clip called Higurashi Motion Graphic vol.3 so after some research I found this web site:
Higurashi Motion Graphic
(I don't even know its real name since it's in Japanese )

Anyway, I found in the download section 3 preview clips of what seems to be Higurashi no Naku Koroni but with radically different graphics. Could anyone please tell me what it's all about? These movies seem very nice and I wonder if they can be acquired?
Sindas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 22:00   Link #19
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindas
Hi, I was surfing the net and came up with a small preview clip called Higurashi Motion Graphic vol.3 so after some research I found this web site:
Higurashi Motion Graphic
(I don't even know its real name since it's in Japanese )

Anyway, I found in the download section 3 preview clips of what seems to be Higurashi no Naku Koroni but with radically different graphics. Could anyone please tell me what it's all about? These movies seem very nice and I wonder if they can be acquired?
Hoho, good job finding it. (・ω・ )

Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai (なかい君と嘆きの世界) is a MAD music video series based on Higurashi. There has been 3 releases:

- Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai (なかい君と嘆きの世界)
Based on Onikakushi-hen
- Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai -Soushunfu- (なかい君と嘆きの世界 -ソウシュンフ-)
Based on Watanagashi-hen + Meakashi-hen
- Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai Utage (なかい君と嘆きの世界 宴)
Based on Tatarigoroshi-hen

All of them features original music tracks (sung by Shinra Etsuko), created specifically for the video.

The demo clips (to avoid hot-linking, copy and paste the url into your address field and type back in the "w" in front (to make "www"):

Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai
ww.kawachi.zaq.ne.jp/dpenu801/higurashi/down/movie_sample.wmv

Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai -Soushunfu-
ww.kawachi.zaq.ne.jp/dpenu801/higurashi/down/movie02_sample.wmv

Nakanai Kimi to Nageki no Sekai Utage
ww.kawachi.zaq.ne.jp/dpenu801/higurashi/down/movie03_sample.wmv

Oh, go here and you might find something good :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46vN313X2A
(what about the others, you ask? Well, only after the anime covers them first )
(Personally, Utage was my favorite, both the song and the video. Hey what do you know, Tatarigoroshi-hen was my favorite chapter too! Maybe you might see it sometime in the future. Maybe say, after the anime's Tatarigoroshi-hen ends? )
Old 2006-05-08, 23:57   Link #20
Meowshi

How do the chapters relate time-wise to the first?

I mean like, how does the second 'chapter' (epi 5-?) relate timewise from 1-4

And I didn't really understand it before (the way you guys stated it..butterfly effect?) but these are alternate universes right?

How do these relate to the game, if the game is a choice game- Is this only one of the many set paths, or in the game, do the paths all lead up to this with different hints and clues, etc.?
Meowshi is offline   Reply With Quote