AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-11-12, 13:57   Link #181
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Relatively inexpensive...in the U.S. and Japan. At least in the U.S. it was only $300 at launch. Compared to the $400 Sega Saturn. The way I understand it, Sega eventually tried to convince retailers to lower the price to $300 and sell at a loss. Retailers didn't take kindly to this idea.

I apologize, it's well known that Europe get the pointy, uncomfortable end of the stick when it comes to videogames. I really should get in the habit of noting region specifics in posts like this.

Quote:
I thought the Genesis/Mega Drive was the most popular console outside of Japan, especially in Europe.
It was at first, but within a couple years the SNES closed the gap, and was eventually outselling the Genesis in Japan and North America. I'm not certain about Europe.

Also, I'm not forgetting the downsides to the SNES, the slower processor simply wound up not hurting the SNES too much in the end. By and large the SNES cranked out better graphics, more colours, and better sound. All this, along with strong titles, helped the SNES to overcome that failing. The SuperFX chip was neat, but few games utilized it.

I don't recall saying that the SNES pad was better simply because of more buttons, but since you bring it up I will say those buttons certainly helped. Especially with fighting games, which were rather popular at the time. For games like RPGs and whatnot, they were a non-issue. The SNES pad was also more comfortable to hold. You'll also notice the mysterious absense of some SNES classics when looking at GBA ports. I'd be interested to see how Super Metroid would be handled with two face buttons rather than four. Fusion and Zero mission lacked some of the capabilities from Samus' SNES adventure.

Finally, the Dreamcast did alright, but if I recall correctly, it's launch wasn't nearly as successful as those before or since, and sales dropped off quickly once the PS2 hype began.

I should also note, my post was not about picking favourites, I was simply trying to point out factors that helped said consoles dominate their generation. Most people are quick to point out that developer support is the single deciding factor in a console generation, when developer support is itself usually the end result of many other factors.
Old 2006-11-13, 21:11   Link #182
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Just a few more days left!!

Come on....come on!...

*pace outside the store Eric Cartman Style*

Old 2006-11-13, 21:21   Link #183
Lebron
I hear voices

when will my baby SSBB be released?
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 22:39   Link #184
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
when will my baby SSBB be released?
well, theres nothing stopping you playing SSBB GC version to past the time before the new one does....but dammn...

I NEED TO FREEZE MYSELF! I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER THREE WEEKS! >.<

*jumps into the little freezer/plays the Buck Rogers theme tune*

Old 2006-11-14, 00:49   Link #185
Lebron
I hear voices

I got bored of Smash Bros. Melee, along time ago. I want Brawl, no, I need Brawl
Old 2006-11-14, 12:35   Link #186
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
The SNES pad was also more comfortable to hold.
I think this really depends on which crowd you're talking to. Many swear by Sega's Mega Drive pad, especially the one with six buttons.
Old 2006-11-14, 13:39   Link #187
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
I would play SSBM but I SOLD MY GAMECUBE@~!

hahahahaha

why keep it when the Wii plays GC games as well?

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 18:57   Link #188
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I think this really depends on which crowd you're talking to. Many swear by Sega's Mega Drive pad, especially the one with six buttons.
The six button controller that was a direct reaction to the SNES pad?
Old 2006-11-16, 09:56   Link #189
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

dammn! UK amazon is going to have Nintendo Wii pre-order next tuesday! YES! but they say they are going to take orders at "UK amazon opening business hours" at this moment i have no idea, what those times are, i assume they are from 9am to what ever, but its a bloodly 24/7 internet site! I'm going stick around until midnight , and try to order, but does anyone know what they are exactly? Its a life and death crisis! >.<

Oh, UK Amazon will only shipt the Console, so if you plan to order games, or extra controller, its going to post seperately, so might as well go out and buy those bits some where else. personally, i was going to buy it at GAMES retail store (a.k.a EB) since i got loads of points, so i can get a discount, but fecking hell, the first 100 guranteed pre-order went out in a flash, and they can't guarantee any of the other pre-orders, so screw them.
But i might as well use my points to get an extra controller, and nunchuk, and red steel. I would of got Zelda, but my mates getting that, so we can have a swap over later.

Old 2006-11-16, 11:50   Link #190
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

So....I'm thinking of getting a Wii now rather than later. Ironically, one of the reasons is that it DOESN'T require an HDTV for full appreciation. But I want some questions answered before I decide to stand in line for 5 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) What is Nintendo's history regarding the stability of consoles at launch? I know the PS2 and 360 both had technical problems at launch, but I can't remember Nintendo consoles having problems....have they had problems?

2) What are the prices gonna look like for online distribution of Gamecube games? If they're too high, I may try to stock up on GC games at my local EB (since I never had a gamecube and definitely want to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, etc.)

3) Does anybody know when Best Buy is opening their doors on Wii launch day?...it looks like that's probably my best bet...
Old 2006-11-16, 11:59   Link #191
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
So....I'm thinking of getting a Wii now rather than later. Ironically, one of the reasons is that it DOESN'T require an HDTV for full appreciation. But I want some questions answered before I decide to stand in line for 5 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) What is Nintendo's history regarding the stability of consoles at launch? I know the PS2 and 360 both had technical problems at launch, but I can't remember Nintendo consoles having problems....have they had problems?

2) What are the prices gonna look like for online distribution of Gamecube games? If they're too high, I may try to stock up on GC games at my local EB (since I never had a gamecube and definitely want to play Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, etc.)

3) Does anybody know when Best Buy is opening their doors on Wii launch day?...it looks like that's probably my best bet...
Both my N64 and SNES are still fully operational and just as good as they were when I bought them around launch.

I don't own a Gamecube, but several people I know who own Gamecubes and bought them at launch have needed to send theirs in to Nintendo for repairs multiple times. I don't know if this is just bad luck though.

Regarding prices of retro games, NES games are $5, SNES are $8, and N64 are $10. Pretty understandable prices.

Let's hope they add online connectivity to the multiplayer. Can you imagine? Bomberman online =3
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 12:03   Link #192
Zappster

Generally Nintendo hardware is renowned for it's reliability. I'm sure there will be the odd unlucky bugger who's had problems but usually they're not the kind of complaints you hear when it comes to their consoles. I guess you could chalk it down to the rabid fanbase keeping things quite on that front too, if you're so inclined.

Personally I've not had any problems with any of the consoles I've bought and that includes my ps2, GC, Snes, N64 and assorted handhelds most of which were bought on launch or very shortly after.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 12:32   Link #193
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

But I thought i had heard that actual gamecube games would be available for online distribution- this isn't the case? So I should go stock up now on GC games?

Nevermind...I've got the answer to my question.

Last edited by wsheit; 2006-11-16 at 12:48.
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 13:05   Link #194
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Aww man I am hyped for this system I am goin to walmart Saturday night and if I dont get one me and my friend here will make sure I get one. I am gonna rob someone.
Gonna buy Zelda today though becuase I am preety sure it will be sold out on launch day.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 13:13   Link #195
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg View Post
Aww man I am hyped for this system I am goin to walmart Saturday night and if I dont get one me and my friend here will make sure I get one. I am gonna rob someone.
Gonna buy Zelda today though becuase I am preety sure it will be sold out on launch day.
We'll blame it on GTA.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 15:26   Link #196
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

My launch GameCube worked forever like a champ, until I sold it for some store credit a few weeks ago with its network adapter and gameboy player.

[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
Old 2006-11-17, 02:00   Link #197
Lebron
I hear voices

Dude, you can like play sports with your Nintendo Consoles and they still will be in 100% working order after your done. They actually have videos of people fucking around with their Nintendo products, dropping them, kicking them, throwing them, etc. Still working fine afterwards. Thats one thing you need to tip your hat off to Mr. Nintendo, their products are reliable as hell. No complaints there.

I for one use to use my Gamecube to prop up my table back when I was too cheap to get it repaired :P
Old 2006-11-17, 03:04   Link #198
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

The only one that wasn't that great was the NES

unless you liked blowing a lot and seeing the gray screen as well

Old 2006-11-17, 03:56   Link #199
Lebron
I hear voices

hehe I did alot with the NES and the original 20 pound Gameboy. They just needed a little bit of lovin before they got their confidence up and decided to let me play with them
Old 2006-11-17, 06:50   Link #200
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Wow, ten pages and I just realized no one's posted the link to "Iwata Asks" (the link goes to the one on the European Wii site since it has more recent updates). It's a pretty good read on the development of the Wii and Twilight Princess, plus the Twilight Princess section has some short videos, my personal favorites being these:

Spoiler for Twilight Princess:
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, wii