4 out of 10: Poor... 5 3.79%
3 out of 10: Bad... 4 3.03%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 3 2.27%
1 out of 10: Tortuous... 4 3.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-10, 12:23   Link #201
fizzmaister
The Tall One

The episode was ok. The shoutouts and cameos were nice without being jarring. The union and HRL officers were a nice surprise, and I heard that you could spot Mirai, but I wasn't able to find her.

It was somewhat jarring to see how the main characters were drawn digimon style, and all the background characters were drawn more or less normally. The story clearly has potential, but it didn't do too much to get me caught up in it.

It really bugs me though that the gundam has a spoiler on its back. And to finish this off on a positive note, the evening event was very pretty.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:26   Link #202
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Again, Flit's age is par for the course compared to every other Gundam protagonist we've seen. If you have issue with Flit's age, then you better have an issue with every other protagonist in Gundam--because if not, you're being a hypocrite.
They can say he's 14, but he still looks like he's 6.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:36   Link #203
klare

Flit and Emily looks like between 10-12

anyway my problem is with Flit being the only one who predicted the attack, not with his age
Old 2011-10-10, 12:37   Link #204
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
They can say he's 14, but he still looks like he's 6.
So does Uso, but I don't see anyone criticizing his appearance and age. Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:51   Link #205
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Little tip I'd recommend for people looking to enjoy this show but who are still clearly really apprehensive. Watch the show for the content, not for how much it follows a formula or how much you care for the character designs or not. It'll really help in the long run not to get hung up on particulars just because the franchise has a long history.

Then again this is coming from someone who couldn't possibly give less of a damn about something as superficial as the character designs (Though if it matters to people I've actually taken a liking to them cause they are quite refreshing IMO) so there's not even a hint of a hang up there with me. If people are really THAT butthurt over the designs and how it follows certain tropes that are almost impossible not to when it comes to Gundam (it being Gundam and all) then this show is definitely a no hoper for them right off the bat as has been kind of sadly illustrated by this first episodes reception. If those people stick around though and are still complaining about things like that though in 10 episodes then god help this forum as it'll be just like it was when 00 was airing and nobodies going to want to visit it much anymore.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-10-10 at 13:01.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 13:19   Link #206
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
So does Uso, but I don't see anyone criticizing his appearance and age. Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy.
Anime Rule #1:

Appearance has nothing to do with age, unless you're a very little kid, an adult that is not a lead, or extremely old. Especially for main characters, the same design can mean anything from 8-30.

I don't really understand most of the complaints either; I mean rarely do people complain that high school girls consistently look like grown supermodels in anime.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 13:21   Link #207
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
the gundam popular formula is back: the enemy attack, the boy forced to pilot gundam for the 1st time to protect, he ended up winning, later will join the battleship

but i have some problems with this one: the main chars are too young, Flit has weird hairstyle, dont like the characters designs, the enemy MS looks terrible, and the story (a boy predicted the attack while no one else did?)

will see how it goes in eps 2
Is it me, or are people watching Gundam with their brain shut downed?
Old 2011-10-10, 13:24   Link #208
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

No, it's just the still-growing trend of bashing/hating anything that is popular or could be remotely popular. I liked anime more back when I didn't know about the internet.
Old 2011-10-10, 13:42   Link #209
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
If you're really 24, then you were 6 years old when Victory Gundam came out and we were criticizing Uso's age. For some reason, I think you're being a tad irrational. For the record, I criticized it heavily back then, and was only partly mollified because despite having such a kiddy main character, the show itself was pretty much the darkest and most depressing Gundam show of the main series to date (I like dark and depressing).

Now, you are spending a lot of time engaging in blanket ad hominem attacks. Which does nothing to improve the atmosphere of a discussion thread.

For the record, I gave the episode an 8 (which you can see if you click on the poll), so it's not like I'm one of those people who are bashing what is popular, to paraphrase your words. Even with the various issues I have with the show, I am an unabashed Gundam fanboy.

That said, if you're unable to see why some Gundam fans (and I'm not talking about someone who's only watched Gundam since 00 or Destiny, but someone who grew up with the franchise from the get-go), may have some reservations with a six-year old looking protagonist, combined with the first Gundam series to not be rated R or PG13 (based on MAL), thus leaving open the possibility that the main character's youth is not going to be counterbalanced by the horrors of war as in Victory Gundam, then you're simply incapable of understanding people might have differing opinions than your own.

Which is fine. There's no law of the universe that you must understand that opinions are opinions. I'm just suggesting you keep the ad hominem attacks to a minimum to keep the thread from devolving into a sewage pit.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 13:43   Link #210
Dark Wing

Quote:
I liked anime more back when I didn't know about the internet.
Same here...there are plenty of good series that people just trampling over just because. It's kinda sickening really.

Anyway I this may take some getting used to by most but come on every gundam series has had It's own staple that sets it apart from the others besides I watch it because its mecha.
Old 2011-10-10, 13:58   Link #211
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
No, it's just the still-growing trend of bashing/hating anything that is popular or could be remotely popular. I liked anime more back when I didn't know about the internet.
I know that Gundam tends to catch a lot of flack from the general anime fanbase both because of mecha phobias and hard liners in the franchise who have their idealized version of the one "true Gundam..."

But the amount of people who tend to enjoy these series usually far exceeds the haters, and these people do tend to get very protective of their favorite series... So I'm not sure why they should be caring that much. I'm sure Gundam Age, like most other Gundams, is going to sell really well and plenty of people will have enjoyed it in the end. If it bothers you so much, just don't even give them the attention. You aren't required to care about them, and your enjoyment should not be destroyed by the few people who come to dislike it.

For what it's worth since oyu tend to see me a more critical person, I thought this episode was just fine and I enjoyed it very much so. I kind of feel many of the criticisms are misplaced or are tunnel visioned WAY too much.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 13:58   Link #212
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
It seems he was going to tell the military when he goes back to base for the testing of Gundam that afternoon anyway
It sure didn't seem that way to me. For someone who was convinced they were in danger, Flit was "happily" stargazing with his friend.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 14:09   Link #213
Black Eye

hmm.....well for starters the first episode wasn't really that captivating (gave it a 7) compared to the last couple of gundam series, but as I'm a gundam fan I would be surely following it.....

well the art style doesn't bother me much (rather I like it) , and am not gonna complain about the age of the main cast as long as the story is good.
just hoping that the UE wouldn't really be aliens as stated, that would be such a bother as it practically ruined the 00 movie for me....

Last edited by Black Eye; 2011-10-10 at 14:35.
Black Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 14:09   Link #214
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
thanks for the link, i wish they had a girl for one of those generations, its always a male lead for gundam series

You already should know Bandai would never let that happen...as matter of fact that's the whole reason the main character of turn-a looked like a trap...
Old 2011-10-10, 14:23   Link #215
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The one thing I do know is that the most common "criticism" I've seen is that the opener was in fact actually like a Gundam opener so if that's the shows biggest "flaw" the show has going on right now it must be doing okay.

Like I said earlier though, truly I am hard pressed to find a single real flaw with the opener. Really, truly and honestly I can't think of anything of significance. As Archon pointed out a few pages back it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
-- Did not drop me off in the middle of nowhere under some pretense of "FIGURE IT OUT"; that would just be lazy and pretentious

-- Did not misrepresent the human body grossly

-- Had appropriate music, relaxing and uplifting mostly til the fights, as it should

-- Looked good, you may call the stars under the night scene cheesy, but I liked it

-- Did not have characters I wanted to slap and/or punch out.

-- Gave me an idea about what it is about, no misleading BS.
but to put it my own way it introduced the cast, gave them cause and drive to what they do in the episode, it introduced the setting by showing various shots of the colony and explaining where they are in history right now as well as some vague hints of what happened in the past, it had IMO fitting music for a Gundam series, the animation was overall fantastic with maybe a couple less than stellar frames visible during the Gundams fight, it built mystery and intrigue for later episodes, it teased at new cast members to be introduced during the opening....it just didn't leave me wanting in any capacity and served to again remind me of just why I got interested in Gundam and anime in the first place. So truly I'm having a hard time understanding most of the criticisms in this thread that as I said mostly appear to amount to the episode having some things in common with the original series opener.....much like the majority of Gundam TV series to date. The other common one as it has been since the show was first announced is character designs.

From my perspective I just don't see it as a valid flaw that drags the show down in any way in and of themselves. It has nothing to do with the content of the actual show so much as it looking like something people brought up just as something to dock it on. If something like the Kid meets Gundam aspect of the franchise really bothers people then so be it (though it's a wonder that any of them ever got into the franchise in the first place if they actually ever did, which sometimes I sort of doubt), but I've been through every Gundam series to date and I'm not bothered by things like a kid jumping into the mecha he helped to built cause I've come to expect it. Plus it makes perfect sense within the context of the episode and it was even alluded to that Largan ought to pilot the Gundam being a real pilot and all, but that Flit having the most familiarity with operating and testing the Gundam should be the one to pilot it in those dire circumstances.

As for the character designs, clearly that comes down to a preference as opposed to anything to do with the quality of the show itself. It's a superficial aspect IMO and not something that can be used to prove fault or flaw in the show itself....at least not at this time. Are the designs poorly drawn, do they look off model, is there any particular reason why they don't fit in? These are the things people should be seeking to prove, not merely mentioning them and claiming them as flaws in the show in and of themselves.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if people are going to criticize the show, why not do a better job of it rather than just desperately trying to look for anything to dock it on and playing what I like to call "find the flaw" as the sole pretense of their posting here (admittedly I'm being premature on that accusation, but I've been through the Gundam 00 threads so I can assume that sort of thing will be a weekly posting feature by more than a few). It's okay if you don't like the show, that's perfectly fair and well within ones rights, but owning ones own subjective misgivings and intent to criticize as opposed to projecting them onto the show as the sole source of them goes a long way in getting you taken seriously by other posters who do appreciate it as well as those who do have their facts straight about this opening episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I know that Gundam tends to catch a lot of flack from the general anime fanbase both because of mecha phobias and hard liners in the franchise who have their idealized version of the one "true Gundam..."

But the amount of people who tend to enjoy these series usually far exceeds the haters, and these people do tend to get very protective of their favorite series... So I'm not sure why they should be caring that much. I'm sure Gundam Age, like most other Gundams, is going to sell really well and plenty of people will have enjoyed it in the end. If it bothers you so much, just don't even give them the attention. You aren't required to care about them, and your enjoyment should not be destroyed by the few people who come to dislike it.

For what it's worth since oyu tend to see me a more critical person, I thought this episode was just fine and I enjoyed it very much so. I kind of feel many of the criticisms are misplaced or are tunnel visioned WAY too much.
lol as I keep telling you you have yet to see how bad it can get. These forums were IMO a total mess during 00 and could have used some serious cleaning up by the mods in just about every episode thread week after week. I'd really just kind of like to see a normal thread for a Gundam series for a change without all the nitpicking and some people having their facts about the episodes completely wrong cause they're so desperate to criticize it and ignored what actually happened. It's frankly a little embarrassing to be associated with as a Gundam fan.

It's still early days, but the warning signs are kind of already there as far as I'm concerned. If some people (and they know who they are) cut their losses and move along right now it'll be fine, but I really don't feel like entertaining certain types of "criticisms" by certain people and spending a good chunk of my time correcting and discounting them instead page after page instead of posting about and discussing the actual content of episodes with chums like in any normal thread for any normal franchise with any normal fanbase. That's not my ideal forum experience and after 00 it's definitely not the one I want again for a Gundam series so hopefully it doesn't have to happen like that again.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 14:46   Link #216
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
This premier was underwhelming, and even though I'll probably end up watching this series, it'll be for the sake of the name more than anything else, not because they got me pumped anxious for the next episode. No, in fact I am more excited for the next Fate/Zero episode than I am for AGE, and I already know how that series will end...That is kinda sad IMO. I don't know if anyone feels the same.

I decided to do a bit of research and compare this premier to that of 00 S1, just to see if people feel the same way I do about this pilot episode. Now, S1 of 00 wasn't known to have started very strongly, in fact many called it dull, and yet it had 59.6% total votes of very good to excellent for its premier. As opposed to 38.3% for AGE. It's still too early to tell, but a good amount of people give this a 7/10 or below, which is right around average, some would say mediocre...
I may be biased since 00 became one of my favorites and I never really found the beginning maneuvering dull but yeah I'll always remember that first episode, it made an excellent impression, was highly memorable and the soundtrack really got everything thrilling quickly plus it was extremely tightly paced and felt edited/directed for maximum initial impact with confidence.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-10 at 15:00.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 14:53   Link #217
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The problem with there being far more fans then there are haters is that the fans are content with the way things are, and thus rarely speak their mind--leaving the haters as a very vocal minority. I'm also certain that AGE will sell well and become a hit--but I also know that at the same time, the places to talk about it will be an utter mess as the trolls come out of the woodwork, just like last time. As I've experienced on ASuki in at least three different subforums, this one included, these haters will do their best at driving out the more reasonable people who get tired of the whining and the raging.

I'm tired of having to give up discussing something enjoyable because everyone else is too busy hating on something. So if that means I have to argue the good points with them, then so be it.

The reason I am making this "ad hominem" attacks about the character design criticisms is because I know that a lot of it is hypocrisy and people targeting it for the sake of having a target. If you think I'm personally attacking you when I talk about everyone whose guilty of what I'm pointing out, that's your problem.

And yes, Reckoner, I did notice your positive review and was surprised by it. But forgive me for feeling that kind of attitude won't last on this forum, from you or from others. After several seasons of poster bullshit, I know better than to think the warm reception will remain. Like Kaioshin said, you weren't here for the 00 season 2 clusterfuck of trolling. I, on the other hand, was.
Old 2011-10-10, 14:56   Link #218
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Meh whatever money talks and so long as the show is successful anything that's said here wouldn't matter. Given that we're an english forum I doubt we have anything to say much for the direction of any anime in Japan (Which begs the question why people treat like we're the only fans)....

The background is nice but the designs are just so I don't know about you guys but the adults' design minus the professor look a lot better than Flit and his friends.
http://randomc.net/image/Gundam%20AG...P%20-%2007.jpg

The kids, just the main ones, stick out like a sore thumb.

http://randomc.net/image/Gundam%20AG...1%20-%2011.jpg

I mean seriously....It's not a deal breaking but I'm hoping this guy will get the axe soon.

On that matter some people were talking about red herrings or spoilers on the back of the Gundam. What were those? Aside from the UE destroying their own ally.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 15:00   Link #219
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Meh whatever money talks and so long as the show is successful anything that's said here wouldn't matter. Given that we're an english forum I doubt we have anything to say much for the direction of any anime in Japan (Which begs the question why people treat like we're the only fans)....

The background is nice but the designs are just so I don't know about you guys but the adults' design minus the professor look a lot better than Flit and his friends. They just stick out like a sore thumb.

On that matter some people were talking about red herrings or spoilers on the back of the Gundam. What were those? Aside from the UE destroying their own ally.
I know that we're not the only fans. My issue is with positive fans being driven out by negative fans--this is pretty much the only place I go to for Gundam discussion, and I'm sick of being forced out of something for liking it, like I was with Code Geass and Zero no Tsukaima.

As for the herrings, most people feel it was the constant speculation of the UE being aliens--most figure that it'll only cement them actually being a human organization, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. But I'm content with seeing where it goes, and I won't have a problem if they're human or alien.
Old 2011-10-10, 15:18   Link #220
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
I know that we're not the only fans. My issue is with positive fans being driven out by negative fans--this is pretty much the only place I go to for Gundam discussion, and I'm sick of being forced out of something for liking it, like I was with Code Geass and Zero no Tsukaima.
Wait you liked Zero No Tsukaima? For shame sir! *Slaps Rising Dragon with a hankerchef* We have no need for the likes of you sir!

Quote:
As for the herrings, most people feel it was the constant speculation of the UE being aliens--most figure that it'll only cement them actually being a human organization, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. But I'm content with seeing where it goes, and I won't have a problem if they're human or alien.
Well we might as well start a pool on what we think they are.

IMO, given the fact that it's been 14 years and Humanity is still around and only encountering random attacks, they are not completely genocidal, especially since they spared Flit when they attacked his home. Hell they even scanned him as well.

I'm thinking that they are relics or have links to the Gundam AGE from the wars a long time ago. Akin to maybe Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow in that they are actually robots (No actual pilots) following a set of protocols, hence why they haven't wiped out humanity despite being able to do so, by some crazy man that died.

Hell it may turn out they are not the true enemies and are trying to get humanity to advance their tech, which being 14 years later is pretty pathetic on humanity's side....
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion